• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Dead

well not really...yet
Chapter 9 was nerve wracking. Felt like
Ruvik was gonna show up at any moment
fuuuck. Amazing chapter.

Currently in chapter 10 and it's incredible so far. Got out of the
death trap maze and just saw the HUEG giant monster.
Decided to end it there tonight at the next hospital room. Story coming together piece by piece too.

This game is amazing though. Takes console horror to the next level, and perfectly blends in stealth and action. It never feels like the game is wallowing in one pool for too long imo. Mikami da gawd.

This game is amazing though. Takes console horror to the next level, and perfectly blends in stealth and action. It never feels like the game is wallowing in one pool for too long imo. Mikami da gawd.

Exactly

Game's pacing is fucking insaaaaaaane!

Squishy3

Chapter 11 wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be with everyone complaining about it. Those enemies were chumps.

Chapter 11 spoilers
Duck behind cover, sprint as fast as you can to them, shoot them in the legs so they fall down, drop a match on they ass. You have plenty of time to eliminate anyone else without getting shot by them either.

Why does this game scare me so much?

Nothing scares me anymore. Not movies, not books, not walking down the streets of the ghetto. But this game. . . . it's because they totally have you. They can do whatever they want.

So weird that some of you aren't scared at all. Did Alien scare you?

Dresden

Finished chapters 7 and 8 -
that fight at the end of 7 was pretty intense, even if I took him down with two or three harpoons every iteration.
The pacing is fucking wonderful, with 8 serving as a breather of sorts.

Squishy3

Why does this game scare me so much?

Nothing scares me anymore. Not movies, not books, not walking down the streets of the ghetto. But this game. . . . it's because they totally have you. They can do whatever they want.

So weird that some of you aren't scared at all. Did Alien scare you?
Games nor movies really scare me anymore, they just provide a sense of tension or unnerve me slightly. Can't remember the last time I got got by a jump scare.

Finished chapters 7 and 8 -
that fight at the end of 7 was pretty intense, even if I took him down with two or three harpoons every iteration.
The pacing is fucking wonderful, with 8 serving as a breather of sorts.

Mikami should write a book on pacing.

Seriously, it's like every single segment lasts just as long as it needs to and the scenarios are presented in just the right order to keep things fresh. Transitions between sections are seamless and fluid, and the game flows that way for a whopping 12-15 hours.

Being a full time uncle this week, so not getting a lot of time in, a half hour here and there.

Maybe I'll play late at night, when the kids sleep.

Lucent

Well, I suppose it was too good to last. Chapter 11... WTF.

It's actually not nearly as bad as I was expecting. Still have some creepy/dark areas in it. The part I'm in now is actually kind of scary because I
can't use guns

Chapter 11 wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be with everyone complaining about it. Those enemies were chumps.

Chapter 11 spoilers
Duck behind cover, sprint as fast as you can to them, shoot them in the legs so they fall down, drop a match on they ass. You have plenty of time to eliminate anyone else without getting shot by them either.

Yeah that's what I've been doing. Really works.

Shadownet

Banned
Don't read the spoilers until you finish the game.

But everything that happened...
it was all in your head. :O

Also did anyone understand the ending? Who the hell is
Julie and who does she work for?

And did
Joseph died? I kinda doubt he did..

Up to Ch4. Awesome game but not enough like RE4 actually. More like TLoU meets Siren. My only complaints is that the camera doesn't pan out as good as RE4. I miss Leon's reloading animation, tank controls and swarming enemies. Damn RE4 was so good that it ruined every game for the past 10 years

Oh yeah. Ch3 boss..,tense and sick, so many laughs when I died.

Up to Ch4. Awesome game but not enough like RE4 actually. More like TLoU meets Siren. My only complaints is that the camera doesn't pan out as good as RE4. I miss Leon's reloading animation, tank controls and swarming enemies. Damn RE4 was so good that it ruined every game for the past 10 years

The game will get it's RE4 on before you know it.

Give it more time

Dead

well not really...yet
Coming off a game like Alien Isolation that has it's pretty fucking tense moments, I don't think that game compares to the part in the Evil Within where you fight
The long haired blood woman in the refinery area.
I was shitting my pants there!

Lucent

Just finished chapter 11. 16 hours for me so far. lol Yeah I'm going pretty slow but I have a lot of ammo and 3 syringes plus like 5 grenades so I'm okay. Just taking my time.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Chapter 11 spoilers

Yeah, the leg shot -> match is really effective there. The only part I was iffy on was the earlier one where the one door opened from the top really quickly to let more enemies in but would close when you got near, as the machine gunner in there was a pain to take out. I probably should have just crafted an arrow for it but I blew through a lot of gun ammo since I couldn't just snipe his head.

Don't read the spoilers until you finish the game.

But everything that happened...
it was all in your head. :O

Also did anyone understand the ending? Who the hell is
Julie and who does she work for?

And did
Joseph died? I kinda doubt he did..

Everybody's coming up with their own theories. Btw there's a spoiler thread that we can discuss without the spoiler tags
here

Squishy3

Yeah, the leg shot -> match is really effective there. The only part I was iffy on was the earlier one where the one door opened from the top really quickly to let more enemies in but would close when you got near, as the machine gunner in there was a pain to take out. I probably should have just crafted an arrow for it but I blew through a lot of gun ammo since I couldn't just snipe his head.
I just tossed a grenade. :p

NAPK1NS

At the tail end of Chapter 4. I'm taking my merry old with this one, she's a rare breed. The atmosphere is wonderful. I spent a minute just looking at the dust rotating in the lighting a number of times. The framerate is total bullshit, but it's wonderful to look at.

It's just really enjoyable. Every new area and challenge is fun to discover. Truly, I don't find the gameplay terribly fun. I mean, it works. But for all the captivating atmosphere, the third person pop-pop is derivative. The trap/matches dynamic is cool, but not really 'fun'.

And my lord... Read through this fucking thread. The number of times RE4 has popped up is insane. We're not discussing that game. This is The Evil Within. This never had a chance of stacking against that game, and they're completely separate beasts.

Papercuts

I just tossed a grenade. :p

I used them earlier in the fight when I knew a group was coming out. Bastards.

But yeah, I'm fine with chapter 11 up to the second save point so far. I also liked the small thing just before this
with the pop machine that spits out green gel. I just kept hitting the button and out popped a statue and then a damn bomb, which I'm pretty sure had an overly small segment to actually hit properly.

HeelPower

Got get the glasses ???

This game is for real lol You gotta love the characters and the dialogue </3

Is "what the fuck" seb's catch phrase ? love the way he says it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Got get the glasses ???

This game is for real lol You gotta love the characters and the dialogue </3

Is "what the fuck" seb's catch phrase ? love the way he says it.

To be fair, that's exactly what I think most people would be saying at quite a few points during the course of Evil Within.

Outside of the fact most people would of been dead at Chapter 1.

Squishy3

But yeah, I'm fine with chapter 11 up to the second save point so far. I also liked the small thing just before this
with the pop machine that spits out green gel. I just kept hitting the button and out popped a statue and then a damn bomb, which I'm pretty sure had an overly small segment to actually hit properly.
I didn't know about that. :(

Lucent

What the hell. I must've missed that. =l

What the fuck?

Lucent

So, Chapter 10 is way overrated. I am not a fan of multiple boss fights in a row. I'm on the last one, with no health. Last one gave me a headache.

I didn't think it was that bad.
The whole part with Laura (spider lady) was like fighting/escaping that one monster in RE4.

The boss
at the end
, yeah he was a pain.

I didn't think it was that bad.
The whole part with Laura (spider lady) was like fighting/escaping that one monster in RE4.

The boss
at the end
, yeah he was a pain.

I must be weird because
Laura gave me way more trouble than the big mutant at the end. I kept putting myself in terrible spots and losing sight of her when I looked up to shoot the valves/switches because of the small FoV/letterboxing. It was actually comical how many times I died needlessly in that section.

Papercuts

Haha, everyone missed it? It's lit up in the hallway before the save room so I figured you could interact with it. There were two of them actually.

Lucent

Just finished chapter
. Kinda disappointed in that one. I liked
hitting the enemies with the bus for a bit, but it was mostly an on rails ride there.

Probably be able to finish the game tomorrow or Sunday. Just been doing 2-3 chapters a day since it came out.

Dresden

I like chapter 9, but
the random Ruvik appearances are pretty annoying. Easy to kite, but there was that one random death where he teleported just a little ahead of me as I went for the staircase.
Really wish some of these instakills were toned down.

Gator86

I like chapter 9, but
the random Ruvik appearances are pretty annoying. Easy to kite, but there was that one random death where he teleported just a little ahead of me as I went for the staircase.
Really wish some of these instakills were toned down.

I know those feels.
I died to him 4 straight times during that chapter. All of then were times he teleported directly onto me.
It's really frustrating because you just lose completely outside of your control.

Just got to chapter 6. Really enjoying the ride. Camera was annoying at first and the FOV. Aiming being so zoomed in took some time. Games aesthetics and atmosphere are great. Also Im at almost 4 hours of play. I feel like i'm breezing through it.

Lernaean

Banned
I know those feels.
I died to him 4 straight times during that chapter. All of then were times he teleported directly onto me.
It's really frustrating because you just lose completely outside of your control.

I really don't get it.
Played this chapter last night, he appeared 4 times, all out of the room i was, i just hid somewhere in the room and he was off. I never died once in that chapter, which is an amazing triumph for me as i always 'die' 3-4 times on each chapter, either by insta-kills or failing a task.

This really feels like going through a Mikami's Best Of album, I swear.

I agree. From a structure/encounter perspective, it's his best game for me, with many nods and inspirations to everything that made his previous games amazing.
It's so sad it's such a mess technically, even though i hardly notice the worst of it, playing on PC and especially after fixing the FoV yesterday, but reading how it performs on consoles, i really hope for a remastered version sometime in the future, because the game is an instant classic and deserves better.
I even think it will happen, and i still believe that the engine choice was a huge mistake, imo.
Ofc past the technical whine, the game looks amazing.

Bl@de

Going to start another playthrough later today :eek: :O

Yeah I will have a couple playthroughs ... It's going to take some time to upgrade everything. And then higher difficulties and a 100% run with all collectibles. Going to be great years till the next Mikami^^

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Mikami should write a book on pacing.

Seriously, it's like every single segment lasts just as long as it needs to and the scenarios are presented in just the right order to keep things fresh. Transitions between sections are seamless and fluid, and the game flows that way for a whopping 12-15 hours.

as a man who understands pacing, i find it fitting that he chose clair de lune as the save point music.

Alright, so I finally took the plunge and picked this up tonight. I just finished the first two and a half chapters and I'm really digging it so far. Personally I think the game looks really cool and I'm loving the black bars. This is definitely one of those games where the gameplay videos don't do it justice and finally seeing it in person, I'm not blown away by any means, but it's atmospheric as hell and I'm loving the lighting and grain filter. I'm also really surprised that I haven't noticed any significant slow down in the framerate on PS4 besides the cutscene at the very end of chapter 2 where I jumped off the bridge and even then it was only for a split second. I'm usually very sensitive to framerate too so either that update did wonders or the whole thing has been blown out of proportion. Anyway, it's almost 5am so I'm done for tonight but I'm definitely glad I decided to give this a try as it's probably the most "cinematic" game I've played since TLOU.

Top Bottom