• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Just cleared chapter 5, and put the boss down without much trouble. When I die in this game it doesn't annoy me at all, as I feel like I learn from it more than anything. On to Chapter 6, and I'm loving how the hub world doesn't feel like a safe haven.

Lucent

I know it's overly cliche to say, but it gives me a Dark Souls feeling, like having endured some serious shit and finaly! A bonfire.

Yeah it's exactly that feeling. Only you don't know where a bonfire is til you see it. But then it's more of an instant relief as you run towards it and jam on the button to interact with it. Lol.

Lernaean

Banned
Yeah it's exactly that feeling. Only you don't know where a bonfire is til you see it. But then it's more of an instant relief as you run towards it and jam on the button to interact with it. Lol.

Hehe, actually there is a sound hint for the bonfires too, but yeah, mostly you see it before you hear it.
TEW mirror rooms give the same feeling of salvation, it is a great idea and addition.

Lucent

Hehe, actually there is a sound hint for the bonfires too, but yeah, mostly you see it before you hear it.
TEW mirror rooms give the same feeling of salvation, it is a great idea and addition.

I really like the mirror room though. Just gives you a nice break to read some papers sometimes, level your guy, and if you got keys you can open the lockers of randomness to get a prize! The nurse is cool too though. And
the room changing over the course of the game.

I still have 3 chapters to go. While I didn't really like ch 12 that much, it wasn't horrible and didn't over stay its welcome. I'd say overall it's been a great game and I will get the DLC and really hope they make another TEW game or another survival horror game altogether. Maybe get a better engine or something too.

Lernaean

Banned
I still have 3 chapters to go. While I didn't really like ch 12 that much, it wasn't horrible and didn't over stay its welcome. I'd say overall it's been a great game and I will get the DLC and really hope they make another TEW game or another survival horror game altogether. Maybe get a better engine or something too.

Imo, they nailed the length of each chapter. They all aren't either too long or too short, except
ch8
ofc. You never get too bored of a chapter even if you don't like one particularly.
Will get the DLC as well and i too hope they will do more with the IP and possibly a total fix of the first one too, with yes, a better engine next time.

HeelPower

I know it's overly cliche to say, but it gives me a Dark Souls feeling, like having endured some serious shit and finaly! A bonfire.

I love how whenever you hear it you're like "SANCTUARY IS NEARBY!"

as a man who understands pacing, i find it fitting that he chose clair de lune as the save point music.

Guys this is one of the most incredible things about the game.

I love,love this..The music, the room, the pacing everything about this.

It really really works beautifully.

Shancake

Can anybody tell me how it works if you die? I'm still early in the game. Got to the end of the third chapter and got killed in the barn. Lost all of my new weapons. I died a second time after collecting everything again and respawned with all my weapons.

Is there a method to this?

Finished it last night. Chapter 15 was the most frustrating part of the game for me but despite a few other annoying sections throughout, I ended up really enjoying it. Definitely a return to survival horror roots, with the Silent Hill-esque psychological horror elements and a real lack of resources throughout the environments.

Nice to see a modern game that took a bit of time to finish as well. 13 hours for me on the easiest difficulty.

Neff

Imo, they nailed the length of each chapter. They all aren't either too long or too short, except
ch8
ofc. You never get too bored of a chapter even if you don't like one particularly.
Will get the DLC as well and i too hope they will do more with the IP and possibly a total fix of the first one too, with yes, a better engine next time.

I admit I was a little nervous about how short and straightforward the early chapters were, but they do get longer and more varied, and around chapter 5 or so the game really hits its stride. I'm only about halfway through but already this seems to be another Mikami classic.

Lernaean

Banned
Can anybody tell me how it works if you die? I'm still early in the game. Got to the end of the third chapter and got killed in the barn. Lost all of my new weapons. I died a second time after collecting everything again and respawned with all my weapons.

Must have hit a checkpoint the second time. Way it works if you die, you end up with everything you had on you when you reached the checkpoint. Also regarding enemies,
everyone you kill, ie remove the head, stealth kill or burn and then reach a checkpoint or save, will not bother you if you die after.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Chapter 3 has one of the more brutal checkpoints. If you die before you hit it you have to recollect everything, but in this instance the 'trigger' is examining the chain if I'm remembering right.

Lernaean

Banned
Chapter 3 has one of the more brutal checkpoints. If you die before you hit it you have to recollect everything, but in this instance the 'trigger' is examining the chain if I'm remembering right.

Yea, but you can play safe in ch3
and save after clearing each building, as the save room is 10 seconds away from everything.

Vortex566

Sure this has been asked before, but what should I upgrade first? I was reading that working on sprint and the stock of matches is the best thing to upgrade in the beginning?

Just experienced a crash on the PS4 version for the first time. Was during the
gauntlet of enemies
in chapter 4. I was streaming it at the time, but I doubt that's related. Didn't happen during the entirety of my first playthrough.

Sure this has been asked before, but what should I upgrade first? I was reading that working on sprint and the stock of matches is the best thing to upgrade in the beginning?

Both of those are very useful to get early on.

Lucent

Upgrade stock on weapons too so you aren't leaving as much behind if you're full.

Lernaean

Banned
I don't get it.

The game literally saves every 5 minutes, it's not like you even need it that much.

C'mon, it's a nice sanctuary option. And in DS you can be on a bonfire every 5 mins or so too, they are not that rare. It's just a psychological thing rather than needed.
A really crazy hard game would save once, every time you finish the chapter.

Okay how do you stagger enemies for a knife kill? I've tried throwing bottles in a variety of ways at the enemies and rush near them when they stagger but I never get a prompt for a knife kill. Is this a 60fps glitch or what?

Okay yeah chapter 5 was pretty damn fun and a good change of pace from the last 4 chapters of sneaking around. I didn't really have any trouble with the
invisible enemy
, good old fashion RE4/5/6 choke point tactics- if you run through small pathway like a door those suckers are bound to follow through it and that's where you hit them with a flash bolt + Knife combo.

(Upgrade you flash to lv 2 for longer duration if you're worried, it's relatively cheap)

God, I can state enough times how satisfying that head explosion is. Do you guys think I need accuracy lv 5? I think it's pretty decent at Lv 4, and cric is just too expensive at lv 5 as well so I'm focusing on dmg now.

Okay how do you stagger enemies for a knife kill? I've tried throwing bottles in a variety of ways at the enemies and rush near them when they stagger but I never get a prompt for a knife kill. Is this a 60fps glitch or what?

crouch to 'stealth' kill.

Works with the flash bolt as well.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely loving this so far, having a blast. It's not as good as RE4 but it's still a damn fine action horror shooter. On survival there's just been the right mix of ammo/no ammo, enough the keep the encounters tense. It's incredibly atmospheric but not really scary, enjoying some of the mindfuck scenarios, reminds me of Silent Hill a bit. Loving the splattery headshots as well, reminds me of Resi Evil 4. Not a fan of the
Invisible enemies
but they aren't too hard to take down once you get a method going. Kind of surprised to read some folks having trouble with the start of the game, I thought it was an awesome intro and not really very difficult either. There was one little detail I thought was cool in chapter 1
When you have been slightly cut on the leg by the big fella with the chainsaw, when going up a ladder Sebastian doesn't use his injured leg whilst climbing.
Very small detail but really cool.

Technically it's been running very well on the PC for me too, pity I can't get a smooth 60fps but oh well. Using that Flawless Widescreen fix and had no obvious bugs either. What has impressed me a lot so far is the texture work. Usually in idtech 5 games the textures can be....not the best, but Evil Within is full of well made, highly detailed textures. It looks really nice IMO, especially for some the detailed shitholes you find yourself walking about in.

Only started chapter 7 so still got a good way to go, first half or so has made a good impression at least.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Finally hitting my stride now on Ch. 5, just at the part where
the 3 of them get dragged under the pool of blood
and the chapter still hasn't ended, is it me or is this a long chapter? I have also just discovered the god send that is shooting them in the leg and running to them and setting them on fire. Saving a lot of ammo this way, although the handgun feels completely useless anyway

CoolZombie

I'm onto chapter 7 now, stuck on a particularly annoying section and now I've got to go to work 😁. I will have another crack later but the game has really grown on me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just cleared chapter 5, and put the boss down without much trouble. When I die in this game it doesn't annoy me at all, as I feel like I learn from it more than anything. On to Chapter 6, and I'm loving how the hub world doesn't feel like a safe haven.
My exact reactions as well. Even though I die a lot, it's only gotten frustrating in a couple places and deaths are generally just because I got careless.

So anyone completed on nightmare or AKUMU difficulty ? Any new unlocks ?

I know you unlock stuff after completing the game once and by finding all map fragments. So did anyone found and unlocked something new ?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I know you unlock stuff after completing the game once and by finding all map fragments. So did anyone finf and unlock something new ?

What do you get for the map pieces ?

Sanctuary

I love how whenever you hear it you're like "SANCTUARY IS NEARBY!"

Nuh-uh.

I know you unlock stuff after completing the game once and by finding all map fragments. So did anyone found and unlocked something new ?

Yes, a page or two back has a screenshot of JoeFenix doing it. And you get
brass knuckles.

I'll probably have it beaten in a few days myself. Right now I'm just working on finding the remaining map fragments I somehow missed (missed half on my first run) as well as fully upgrading Sebastian.

haikira

Well, after fourteen hours, and about ninety deaths, that's a wrap. Overall, I'm walking away really positive, and it perhaps my new favourite of the year.

My thoughts on the game, sort of mirror Mark Kermode's opinion on The Zero Theorem, a film I haven't actually watched. In that both, this feels like Mikami has thrown everything up in the air, and where it lands, it lands, and also, this feels like unbound Mikami, for better or worse.

To get the bad out of the way, I really hated both chapter 11 and 12. They felt really unfinished, and I actually have a handful of screenshots on my PS4, which show things like a rectangle of water just hanging off the edge, and other unsightly and easy to find blemishes. Both chapters also present gameplay scenarios, which I just don't think the fundamental mechanics are really up for handling too well.

Performance is another sore point, with some of the earlier chapters failing to hold on to that thirty frame rate.

Now for the good. The game can look absolutely beautiful at times, and the clear art direction really aides that. I also appreciate that, while far more on the nose than say Silent Hill, a lot of the imagery and monsters exist for a story reason, which gives them more a sense of purpose, rather than just feeling like they're flung in because they look cool.

Chapter 9 was absolutely fantastic, with some great atmosphere, decent puzzles, and some unscripted scares.

I think I actually liked both Ruvik, and the lore, more than most. There's nothing award winning here, but I felt both were interesting enough to give the game some driving force at least. I think I also liked the boss encounters more than most too.

So yeah, great game, in my opinion, and I can see myself going through new game plus sooner, rather than later.

Feindflug

Mikami should write a book on pacing.

Seriously, it's like every single segment lasts just as long as it needs to and the scenarios are presented in just the right order to keep things fresh. Transitions between sections are seamless and fluid, and the game flows that way for a whopping 12-15 hours.

Right now I'm at the very start of Chapter 9 and I totally agree, I have a really hard time thinking of a game in the last 4-5 years with such good pacing, diversity in gameplay scenarios and ideas as TEW...and I'm not even commenting on the many hints on cult horror movies in this game which makes it even more awesome IMO. Mikami is a genius and TEW is maybe the best designed action/adventure game in the last 5 years IMO.

MAX PAYMENT

Can anyone make a difficulty comparison?
Is survival a good starting difficulty or would it be really hard for someone new to horror?

Seik

Banned
Is it worth me trying to kill the chained up chainsaw dude in chapter 3?

A good trick that helped me was to run around the barn where he is at first/climbing the latters while he's following you.

Stay near the haystacks until he's near and put it on fire with a match so he'll catch on fire too.

DSmalls84

Is survival a good starting difficulty or would it be really hard for someone new to horror?

I have died a few times but haven't gotten frustrated yet. I have played most of the resident evil games though. I think you can lower the difficulty later if you need to.

-MD-

I think someone of moderate skill would be able to complete survival without too much trouble.

You can always drop it down to casual difficulty if it's too much for you, you can't do it the other way around though if casual is too easy.

DSmalls84

I think it's worth buying. Great atmosphere and combat and looks to be about 15 hours long. Also has new game +. Really enjoying my time with it so far. If you enjoy survival horror games and aren't bothered by technical issues you should enjoy it.

Bl@de

Damn it keeps going and going. Been in Chapter 11 for 1h30min and have a playtime of 11h30min ... the game keeps on giving. Classic Mikami

Top Bottom