• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Gaz_RB

this
Ruvik
gimmick in
Chapter 9
is going to be annoying isnt it?
Seems timed since I just ran up and down the stairs of the main lobby until he disapeared, but I can see it getting old fast

That was actually the scariest part of the game for me. It didn't really get old because it was random and didn't happen constantly.

Well, at least you'll enjoy the final chapter as much as those two.

Good to hear. It's not that chapter 11 is horrible. Just doesn't really fit my tastes.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
The end of chapter 6 is so bonkers.

Why does the boss fight abruptly end in the middle of dealing damage, to you suddenly helping your partner (who had disappeared during the fight?!?!?) through the gate, and then that pointless mad dash back into the arena to retrieve his glasses. It makes no fucking sense, and had me rocking back-and-forth, laughing... raging... laughing. I looked like a crazy person during that section!

Deku Tree

Poor coding and bug checking? Do you have the game? The animations / controls are a bit janky like Resi and other survival horror games, there's odd frame drops at completely random times, other than that there's nothing else wrong. Not seen any major bugs or glitches up to chapter 9.

No I don't have the game... I was asking other people what they think of the game cause I was thinking about buying it, and my post was summarizing the answers that I got. The answers are on the last few pages of this thread.

I really don't get it.
Played this chapter last night, he appeared 4 times, all out of the room i was, i just hid somewhere in the room and he was off. I never died once in that chapter, which is an amazing triumph for me as i always 'die' 3-4 times on each chapter, either by insta-kills or failing a task.

I agree. From a structure/encounter perspective, it's his best game for me, with many nods and inspirations to everything that made his previous games amazing.
It's so sad it's such a mess technically, even though i hardly notice the worst of it, playing on PC and especially after fixing the FoV yesterday, but reading how it performs on consoles, i really hope for a remastered version sometime in the future, because the game is an instant classic and deserves better.
I even think it will happen, and i still believe that the engine choice was a huge mistake, imo.
Ofc past the technical whine, the game looks amazing.

chapter 9 I didn't die once from
Ruvik either,, (let aloneSEE him) I guess I took into account an invincible man with insta kill hands was prowling the area, and made sure to always be ready for his entrance..any important stuff did, i saved right after and continued after Ruvik appeared.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I can't figure out why, but I just constantly feel so lost. Maybe it's the darkness of the early chapters, maybe the aspect ratio. I don't know. But I feel like there is a ton to explore and I'm afraid to try any of it. You feel REALLY weak vs. enemies.

Just finished chapter
. Kinda disappointed in that one. I liked
hitting the enemies with the bus for a bit, but it was mostly an on rails ride there.
Play that level again when you g
et a certain game game completion weapon.
Its cathartic.
Glad that mission is there especially for maximum carnage.

In resume, the game is a rollercoaster. The chapters 1 to 10, perfect, 11 to 13, shit, and 14 to 15, ok/good.
In overall, the game is good, but the chapters 11 to 13 makes you wanna drop the game.

In resume, the game is a rollercoaster. The chapters 1 to 10, perfect, 11 to 13, shit, and 14 to 15, ok/good.
In overall, the game is good, but the chapters 11 to 13 makes you wanna drop the game.

There is nothing technically bad persay with those chapters. It's a tonal shift and somewhat different from the rest of the game, with a dash here and there of tones from the earlier portion of the game. I never wanted to drop or stop playing the game, nor did I feel that they were bad. Just different and unexpected. Knowing that going back into those section, makes it even less so of a issue. People just don't like the change. I didn't hate it, I noticed it, but in reality, it makes sense in context of the story at that point and onward. That's when the game actually gives you a goal to reach.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I can't figure out why, but I just constantly feel so lost. Maybe it's the darkness of the early chapters, maybe the aspect ratio. I don't know. But I feel like there is a ton to explore and I'm afraid to try any of it. You feel REALLY weak vs. enemies.

I definitely felt some of that in Ch 3. Like, I can tell it's a really awesome environment, and a well designed map with lots of verticality and interconnections, but it's hard to absorb it when you see so little of it at a time.

As for being weak against enemies, I experienced that at first, but my arsenal grew and I started to rely (perhaps unfortunately) more heavily on the shoot leg -> burn combo. I also upgraded stock for ammo and matches, and suddenly I'm not feeling deprived anymore. In the end, clearing out the little village area wasn't that tough. I was worried I'd have to do a lot more waiting around to observe enemy patrol routes and then stealth everyone. Which I hate.

The aspect ratio makes playing the game more uncomfortable than it should be, and I don't mean in some bullshit "consistent with the theme of the game" kind of way, but in a "this entertainment product is putting completely unnecessary barriers to my enjoyment in my way" kind of way. I want to feel unease because of the content of the game, not because I'm constantly struggling to frame the scene optimally while I peer through a tiny window.

Still, only at the boss of Ch 3, so plenty of time to change my impression.

Sanctuary

I'm almost finished with Chapter 6, so not even halfway. Right now I don't think it will top Wolfenstein, but I still have supposedly the best and worst chapters of the game yet to play. Too early to tell.

Even after finishing the game and replaying it, chapter 3 is still the creepiest. There are other levels that might be more "inventive" (using that term lightly), but none really have a similar atmosphere as chapter 3.
After a while it just becomes "Oh look, more blood dripping from the walls and more barbed wire arranged in a different way, zzz".

Sayad

Exploring is really rewarding though, between ammo, melee weapons and upgrade juice, you'd definitely feel safer after exploring. ;)

Even after finishing the game and replaying it, chapter 3 is still the creepiest. There are other levels that might be more "inventive" (using that term lightly), but none really have a similar atmosphere as chapter 3.
After a while it just becomes "Oh look, more blood dripping from the walls and more barbed wire arranged in a different way, zzz".

I get the feeling chapter 3 and 4 might have been created earlier on in development. They are just so well done and open. I could be wrong, just a thought.

There is nothing technically bad persay with those chapters. It's a tonal shift and somewhat different from the rest of the game, with a dash here and there of tones from the earlier portion of the game. I never wanted to drop or stop playing the game, nor did I feel that they were bad. Just different and unexpected. Knowing that going back into those section, makes it even less so of a issue. People just don't like the change. I didn't hate it, I noticed it, but in reality, it makes sense in context of the story at that point and onward. That's when the game actually gives you a goal to reach.

But the change between chapters is too abrupt. Okay, the game gives you a real goal, but the aesthetics who gives the ''soul'', is gone.

goldenboy

Neo Member
I read people talking about the game being buggy.
What do you mean by that ?

On my end outside the rare shadow and lighting glitches when the camera is in an unorthodox position/angle I didn't see anything worthy of being called a glitch.

But the change between chapters is too abrupt. Okay, the game gives you a real goal, but the aesthetics who gives the ''soul'', is gone.

I would still say the abrupt change is in the tone or soul as you say. The game itself and chapters are all over the place and change at the drop of a hat sometimes. The change from one location to another is expected. The change to the that location and tone is not.

Love how everyone is still in the dark on
knowing how to get the other weapons/unlockables
reminds of the good ol'RE days where it was up to the community to find out

Bl@de

I read people talking about the game being buggy.
What do you mean by that ?

On my end outside the rare shadow and lighting glitches when the camera is in an unorthodox position/angle I didn't see anything worthy of being called a glitch.

I had one bug in 17 hours of playtime (steam timer)... A boss
(Chapter 10 Parking Lot)
just trapped me in a room and didn't let me out because he went into idle mode. Had to reload the fight.

And that's it ... no clipping, no weird lightning, no crashes. Everything runs smooth.

I said it once, and I say it again: I always keep my system clean and up to date with new drivers. I rarely encounter bugs in games. Sometimes the problem may be at the other end of the screen. Not always of course. Performance drops in this game are weird and shouldn't be. But that is not really a bug.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Got to the Chapter 6 mid-boss with 5 handgun bullets, 1 freeze bolt, and 2 grenades.

Luckily I hadn't disabled any of the bombs yet, so I could make 2 explosive bolts.

That plus a barrel got me through the fight, but now I'm going into the rest of the stage with only 4 handgun bullets.

Super intense.

Raptor

Black Bars + the zoomed aim was a terrible, terrible idea if it was a design decision, feels claustrophobic as hell only by watching it that can't even imagine playing it, tension can be had without that "P.T." is a proof of that, this form of design decision for this game is just well not for me.

Now Mikami IMO has done 2 misfires, Vanquish and this, game on the surface seems quite incredible with all in its place yet somehow something ruins it everything, in Vanquish was the robot enemies, not organic and boring to fight, now we have the organic and fun to fight enemies but with black bars and a terrible zoomed aiming.

Athreous

Anyone have a chapter 5 save file to share? My game just hangs at the end of chapter 4, I tried to reinstall and start the game again, and it stucks over and over again...

Love how everyone is still in the dark on
knowing how to get the other weapons/unlockables
reminds of the good ol'RE days where it was up to the community to find out

Ha ha, we already figured it all out :)

Black Bars + the zoomed aim was a terrible, terrible idea if it was a design decision, feels claustrophobic as hell only by watching it that can't even imagine playing it, tension can be had without that "P.T." is a proof of that, this form of design decision for this game is just well not for me.

Now Mikami IMO has done 2 misfires, Vanquish and this, game on the surface seems quite incredible with all in its place yet somehow something ruins it everything, in Vanquish was the robot enemies, not organic and boring to fight, now we have the organic and fun to fight enemies but with black bars and a terrible zoomed aiming.

I'm sorry, in my opinion, your opinion is laughable,for you to mention PT( a game you probably only watched as well) in the same breath as this game as far as creating tension without having even played this game is hysterical .. AND call vanquish a misfire shows you know eff all about what makes a game good or bad, you're speaking from a place of personal taste and nothing more.

mujun

Just finished chapters 1 and 2. Game is not good so far.

The atmosphere is pretty well done with the way it looks and the absence of music most of the time but I haven't actually enjoyed pretty much anything that I've been doing.

The story is terrible so far and I only imagine that it's going to get even more incomprehensible the further I go.

tuna_love

Banned
You and me both. The enemies just aren't fun to fight anymore, and the environment just lost all its atmosphere. It's crazy that chapter 9 and 10 have such masterful game design, and then the game just loses it. If the game would have had the quality of those two chapters throughout the game, it would have been a 10/10 for me.
Seriously 9 and 10 were so well done. 10 was incredible

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It's insanely easy. You mean bad as in boring, or trivial?

as soon as she spawns, run to the left and hang on to the ladder, when she starts running at you, press circle to drop down the ladder and then flip the switch for hit #1. Then run to the other flame door, crouch through it, and then quickly climb the ladder and flip the switch and the fight is over

I didn't even notice the trap room over on the right. I hit her with the first trap, both flame barrels and both torches and she still didn't die. Her 1 hit kills were just irritating, especially when trying to hit her with the torches

Quick question for those that have finished it, do the environments and atmosphere get anymore varied? Just finshed ch. 5, don't get me wrong I love the environments but the constant mental hospital corridors/basements are getting a little repetitive. Also I take it I am supposed to have no idea wtf is going on, the constant random environment changes are making it hard to keep track.

I have a Chapter 9 question.

Is there any merit (or a correct way) to probing this brain at the table? Hit a spot and then took damage, interestingly.

Thanks.

I have a Chapter 9 question.

Is there any merit (or a correct way) to probing this brain at the table? Hit a spot and then took damage, interestingly.

Thanks.

Yeah,
Ruviks recordings mention where to pierce, just have to use the diagrams to pierce that spot, make sure you're at full health before you attempt it..just in case.

Raptor

Ha ha, we already figured it all out :)

I'm sorry, in my opinion, your opinion is laughable,for you to mention PT( a game you probably only watched as well) in the same breath as this game as far as creating tension without having even played this game is hysterical .. AND call vanquish a misfire shows you know eff all about game design.

I don't think calling my opinion laughable is a very nice thing to say to be honest sinc eIm only saying what I think about this game and nothing more, and that this kind of design of Mikami just is not good IMO, he has lost what made him great, if you feel offended or something because I said this that you need to post some kind of deminishing comment about my opinion well that says more about your attitude towards forum opinions that you disagree than the issue at hand.

Somehow you thinking a game is good overrides everyones opinion but if you want to continue with that line of thiking well be my guess, I haev only stated my opinion here.

And to be clear I said "Watching it that can't imagine playing it" while I did played PT and was more tense and scary that everything that have seen of this.

Mikami just dont' want me to enjoy his games anymore it seems.

I do agree about Mikami's genius with pacing and keeping you engrossed from beginning to end. It was the same with RE4.

Which is what more than makes up for bugs, bad dialogue, bad story, etc. Not saying TEW suffers from those things but RE4 did have a bad story and dialogue yet it's a masterpiece. TEW suffers from bugs and technical things, but it's still, in many ways, a masterpiece in survival horror game design.

Nuke Soda

Got stuck in Chapter 13 last night.
In the ruined building with the one hit kill pretender Ruviks. Charged the first one and got a face full of acid, that surprised me and then I got one hit killed by the demon hands.

I do agree about Mikami's genius with pacing and keeping you engrossed from beginning to end. It was the same with RE4.

Which is what more than makes up for bugs, bad dialogue, bad story, etc. Not saying TEW suffers from those things but RE4 did have a bad story and dialogue yet it's a masterpiece. TEW suffers from bugs and technical things, but it's still, in many ways, a masterpiece in survival horror game design.
Honestly, RE4 and this have such amazing pacing, Shinji is a masterclass with the use of quiet and exciting moments for me TBH.

Yeah,
Ruviks recordings mention where to pierce, just have to use the diagrams to pierce that spot, make sure you're at full health before you attempt it..just in case.

Ah, okay.

I didn't notice the colored diagram on the table at first. Got it.

Thank you!

How do you deal with (Ch3)
chainsaw man

Seen a few solutions:

One is to find the house closest to the gate you need to open, lure him near the stairs and flip a switch to set off a bunch of spears from the ceiling. What I did was find the house the doctor went into in the beginning of the area. Inside is a hallway with spikes on the floor. The switch is on the other side of the wall. I just lured him in there and spammed the crap out of the switch when it resets. Just got to be careful since he'll inch closer but I eventually got him.

Just hit the second checkpoint on chapter 5, this game is so good. The aspect ratio + darkness + good design makes me anxious. Plus I'm using a headset, sound is very creepy some times.

Nuke Soda

chainsaw man

YOU RUN UP AND PUNCH THAT WEASEL IN THE FACE!

Oh sorry I was in the TMF thread and it seemed to have rubbed off on me a little. Run and gun my friend, run and gun. Also look for the agony crossbow if you missed it, a life saver.

chainsaw man

Spike trap in the little house. Just activate it 3x (or 4 times, can't remember), he'll basically stagger in the "getting up" animation and die. Very satisfying beating him without pulling the trigger even once.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I don't think calling my opinion laughable is a very nice thing to say to be honest sinc eIm only saying what I think about this game and nothing more, and that this kind of design of Mikami just is not good IMO, he has lost what made him great, if you feel offended or something because I said this that you need to post some kind of deminishing comment about my opinion well that says more about your attitude towards forum opinions that you disagree than the issue at hand.

Somehow you thinking a game is good overrides everyones opinion but if you want to continue with that line of thiking well be my guess, I haev only stated my opinion here.

And to be clear I said "Watching it that can't imagine playing it" while I did played PT and was more tense and scary that everything that have seen of this.

I think if you had phrased your criticism to be a little less definitive then there would not have been an issue, you outright stated that a beloved game and a game that you have not played are misfires. The problems you talked about fall very much into the 'you get used to them' category. I'd like the black bars gone, but the aiming system is integral to the way the game plays and I wouldn't change it for anything. It reminds about how some people (myself included) don't like Dark Soul's so-called unresponsive controls, a fan of the series would tell you the delay is important to the game. Killzone 2 is another possible example, as the heaviness of the controls is off-pitting to some but vital for others.

Scrawnton

Just finished chapter 10 and HOLY crap. The game just took it up a notch. This was the first chapter that I really dreaded playing. With the
carnival like spinning blade sections, enemy gauntlet with having to fight the two big guys at once and finally take ten tries to kill the big boss in the parking garage.

Such a crazy game. I'm loving it. 9ish hours in.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
chainsaw man

I didn't cheese him with traps. I had an incendiary bolt in my arsenal, and hit him with that first. Then shotgun shells in the face as I backed up some stairs in the barn area. He went down pretty quick... think the fire bolt did a lot of damage.

Edit: And you've done it, yeah.

I loved Vanquish and I adore this game, I hope Mikami makes more games you loathe, your taste is broken.

Top Bottom