• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Chapter 4:
I killed
Spider-Woman
on my first try and that too without finishing my entire ammunition! Got a cool 8000 green goo for my troubles. Awww yeahhhh B-)

Ateron

Yeah via console commands. It's not something they ever wanted to be done via the game itself. I've just never played a game with black bars, stepped back, and said "This game isn't that good, if the black bars were removed it would be infinitely better." It's a simple preference. Would I rather play without? Sure. Have I taken them time to remove the from my pc version. Nope. Either way. Game is still the same game and content, black bars or not.

I know, I'm not saying I hate the game or anything for it.. I was very pleasantly surprised by it. And after a while those bars don't bother anymore, but it's kinda jarring going from playing TEW to some other game, it almost feels like my 42" transformed into a 65" tv heh

My biggest complaint (and even that won't make me change my mind in considering this game a blast) is the fps. I don't need 60 fps, but I would have loved if they managed a consistent 30. It's right up there most of the time, but the way it fluctuates so freely in many other areas is a shame. If you're playing on the PC it's not as easy to relate since one can brute force through it, but that consistency isn't attained on console, not even on the ps4. It's not Tango's fault, they probably weren't given enough time to learn the quirks of the engine (even though the lighting is phenomenal).

Like I said, the bars/inconsistent fps is a slight annoyance at times but definitely not a deal breaker. Some people have complained about the controls or jankiness here and there..that doesn't bother me, though. Once you get the hang of it (and have at least level 2-3 on sprinting) you can become very deadly with gunplay. I would like to see a little bonus game after completion, not like mercs, with combos and extra time and shit, but at least a horde mode. It would be amazing, if you're know what you're doing this game controls as good as RE4, and it doesn't have tank controls so it would be feasible.

Sanctuary

Dat chapter 9 though! So good.

And a completely missed opportunity. It's the second chapter that actually gives off any real Survival Horror/RE vibes and it's way too fucking short.

I've never found it annoying but I agree it makes certain situations super tense.

It's hard to believe that you've never found it annoying. It's the worst thing about this entire game. It's an even bigger issue than the black bars, unless you're playing on a tiny screen. The zoom itself is okay when enemies are standing still, but as soon as they move (as in quickly towards you) it's impossible to hit anything.

I'd also say that even if the awful aiming zoom is intentional, it wasn't properly implemented with the camera and enemy hurtboxes. You CAN shoot bullets that pass right through enemies because your gun is clipping through their body. This isn't just the pistol either, it can happen with the shotgun too.

Do morgue items carry over to new game plus? Still have a lot of doors open with unused items.

Morgue items? Do you mean the Asylum? Actually thought those were lockboxes like what you would find in a bank. Seem too small for a body, but to answer your question yes. They carry over in NG+.

-MD-

It's hard to believe that you've never found it annoying. It's the worst thing about this entire game. It's an even bigger issue than the black bars, unless you're playing on a tiny screen. The zoom itself is okay when enemies are standing still, but as soon as they move (as in quickly towards you) it's impossible to hit anything.

That's when you run backwards and take aim again.

Sanctuary

That's when you run backwards and take aim again, if that's not an option use the shotgun.

I said that even the shotgun can clip at times and your bullets pass right throuh them (because your gun is phased through their body). And I already know you can run backwards. It's just a shitty mechanic. You get one shot unless you're shooting at their legs. If you're aiming at their head (which you should be if you spent all of that gel on upgrades) you get one shot and that's it. Turning around to run doesn't get you another headshot, it just gives you room for leg shots, which made your initial bullet a waste since you're just going to end up using a match anyway.

Arkanius

Haha early Chapter 6

FUCK THE HOSPITAL INNER SCENES. I SHIT BRICKS EVERYTIME

About the area afterwards

Welcome to Majula. It felt so Dark Souly

-MD-

I said that even the shotgun can clip at times and your bullets pass right throuh them (because your gun is phased through their body). And I already know you can run backwards. It's just a shitty mechanic. You get one shot unless you're shooting at their legs. If you're aiming at their head (which you should be if you spent all of that gel on upgrades) you get one shot and that's it. Turning around to run doesn't get you another headshot, it just gives you room for leg shots, which made your initial bullet a waste since you're just going to end up using a match anyway.

You seem to have a bit more trouble than me with lining headshots up, on a controller it's tough to do but I always get at least 2-3 chances with a pistol before an enemy is on top of me. After that I retreat and either shoot its leg or take another shot at its head, if I drop the ball again I usually just bust out a shotgun and end it. I've had the gun clip through enemies (twice) so far but again it's usually just simply moving backwards and lining up another shot.

Running backwards isn't your only option if you're being swarmed either, you can blind enemies with a bolt and line up easy shots through that too. The game gives you so many different options to tackle each situation.

You seem to have a bit more trouble than me with lining headshots up, on a controller it's tough to do but I always get at least 2-3 chances with a pistol before an enemy is on top of me. After that I retreat and either shoot its leg or take another shot at its head, if I drop the ball again I usually just bust out a shotgun and end it. I've had the gun clip through enemies (twice) so far but again it's usually just simply moving backwards and lining up another shot.

Running backwards isn't your only option if you're being swarmed either, you can blind enemies with a bolt and line up easy shots through that too. The game gives you so many different options to tackle each situation.

The zooming in thing was a issue for me at first simply because no other TPS style of game does it, but once I knew how it worked and adjusted, it became second nature. If enemies are close to me, it's time to get away and gain some distance. For me, it's almost like the games way of reminding me... "these things come fast at times and sporadic, don't be aiming all willy nilly" lol

Andrew.

Banned
Dread: The Game.

I haven't been comfortable at all at any point in my entire time playing this. That's a compliment by the way.

Chap 14. Let's wrap this ish up!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
im sure im just fucking up (especially since the more you die the worse you do usually because you want to rush it) but
Laura
on chapter 10 is really starting to annoy me :(

sometimes she walks around and does nothing or barely hits you, others when i least expec it she comes running in from nowhere and grabs me even tho it looks like Im miles away
...sigh

edit: yup
she just grabbed me through a pilar...ok then

edit:
got her, I was actually dying right at the end of that sequence too sigh

rtcn63

im sure im just fucking up (especially since the more you die the worse you do usually because you want to rush it) but
Laura
on chapter 10 is really starting to annoy me :(

sometimes she walks around and does nothing or barely hits you, others when i least expec it she comes running in from nowhere and grabs me even tho it looks like Im miles away
...sigh

I was watching that earlier, and
the first phase seems pretty cool, forcing you to learn the boss's patterns and how it interacts with the environment. But then there's that second phase where it resembles a glowing sex organ, and instantly kills you with one attack. It seems to become just run, gun, and pray for the best at that point.

Who am I kidding, this will most likely end up being my game of the year:

IUVUIYs.jpg

Yet people want to condemn the game for said black bars. I wish I had the skill to make my own games, and then have people try to tell me a. why my game isn't the way it should be, and b. That I should change it because they said so. FYI this doesn't apply to just this game btw but everything these days. This isn't fucking Burger King, you don't get it your way. I can't force a director of a movie to change his shots, I can't force a author to change this ending chapter, and I sure as hell shouldn't be able to wine and get the ending to a game changed, etc. If your upset you bought something that wasn't what you wanted. Get rid of it. I just bought the PS TV, thought it was crap, sold it, and I've been done with it. I haven't been on forums or gaf posting how much it sucks. Why waste my time? My point is, they wanted the black bars, they wanted 30fps, if you don't like that, that's cool. Just be smart about it and move on if you hate it.

So your argument is that no criticism of art or entertainment is worthwhile? Either love it unconditionally or push it out of your mind and move on?

Because that's really what it sounds like you're saying here. "Stop saying bad things about this thing I like."

So your argument is that no criticism of art or entertainment is worthwhile? Either love it unconditionally or push it out of your mind and move on?

Because that's really what it sounds like you're saying here. "Stop saying bad things about this thing I like."

Nope not what I'm saying at all. You can take it that way if you will. Criticism is fine, forcing or demanding things to be changed because you want them changed is the issue.

err...why?

not why the GOTY thing, thats an opinion and those are subjective, but why the 3 copies?

One was a review copy and the others cause I wanted to support AAA horror games. I did the same for Alien Isolation. These games usually sell criminally under what they deserve.

Nope not what I'm saying at all. You can take it that way if you will. Criticism is fine, forcing or demanding things to be changed because you want them changed is the issue.

I haven't entirely kept up with this thread, so maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen much call for "forcing or demanding things to be changed." Just a lot of people bringing up issues with the game that are (imo) very valid.

More on topic, I'm up to chapter 13 now and have such mixed feelings about this game. There are so many things I love about it, and so many things I hate about it. It's the most frustrating game I've played in a very long time, that's for sure.

I haven't entirely kept up with this thread, so maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen much call for "forcing or demanding things to be changed." Just a lot of people bringing up issues with the game that are (imo) very valid.

If you haven't been in the PC thread and seen some earlier posts, I don't blame ya :p

Ein Bear

Just started Chapter 6.

I both love and hate how even the 'safe haven' save room/upgrade area is terrifying.

This game is awesome.

Lucent

Who am I kidding, this will most likely end up being my game of the year:

IUVUIYs.jpg

I really want this poster.

And the safe.

But I'll settle for the poster at the least. lol

Also really wish I had went with the physical copy just for the cool sleeve. Damn me for wanting to save $10 and going digital. lol. Gonna wanna get it physically eventually, though. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one with the sleeve when I do.

Cap em once or twice in the leg and then set ablaze. Those fuckers are fun. And I love the masks. Reminds me of the Joker henchmen masks from the robbery in Dark Knight.

Yeah I learned to shoot them in the legs real quick and just light them on fire. I tried sniping one in the face with the
sniper rifle
and I think it bounced off his mask. Weird because I harpooned one in the mask once and it at least knocked him over. That shot did nothing.

Zampano

Up to chapter 11 now. Will have to see what the "bad" chapters are like later. Great game so far.

I honestly don't know what the problem is with these chapters - I'm halfway through 14 and it continues to be a master class in pacing. The only "bad" chapter for me was 6 and tht was mainly due to framerate on exteriors and some of the ugly visuals. I am in love with this game.

Akibared

Cap em once or twice in the leg and then set ablaze. Those fuckers are fun. And I love the masks. Reminds me of the Joker henchmen masks from the robbery in Dark Knight.

Yeah that's what I figured with the very first one but I was stuck on the
slow moving platform section
they got annoying for me.

Lucent

Yeah that's what I figured with the very first one but I was stuck on the
slow moving platform section
they got annoying for me.

I just shot them in the legs anyway. Most of them
fall off the edge. I figured they wouldn't have you spend too much ammo there. Some of them were horrible shots, too. lol

Straight back into mediocrity after chapter 10. And here they are, fucking
turret sections
. :lol As if some of the corridor gameplay wasn't generic enough already.
Simply pathetic. I want to believe that maybe Bethesda's guidelines ruined this game, because it actually has a handful of decent ,,horror'' (mainly action horror though) chapters. Otherwise, this would be a John Carpenter-level downfall of Mikami.

Grisby

Morgue items? Do you mean the Asylum? Actually thought those were lockboxes like what you would find in a bank. Seem too small for a body, but to answer your question yes. They carry over in NG+.
Great. Yes, that is what I meant. I read a preview that compared them to morgue lockers so that's what I went with.

Mr. Tibbs

turret sections
Simply pathetic. I want to believe that maybe Bethesda's guidelines ruined this game, because it actually has a handful of decent ,,horror'' (mainly action horror though) chapters. Otherwise, this would be a John Carpenter-level downfall of Mikami.

On the latest RebelFM, after Anthony Gallegos expresses his disappointment with the game, Arthur Gies hints at some behind the scenes stuff that potentially compromised the game (at the 12:30 mark).

I have heard some interesting things about the production of that game and I kind of wonder if that story is going to surface at some point.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
how would you guys feel if they took this exact engine, controls, etc

No thanks.

On the latest RebelFM, after Anthony Gallegos expresses his disappointment with the game, Arthur Gies hints at some behind the scenes stuff that potentially compromised the game (at the 12:30 mark).

And Gies manages to be insufferable even second-hand. "oh i heard some things one time, can't repeat them here lol"

Sanctuary

I don't have issues getting "swarmed". My problems are with solitary enemies that decide to activate turbo boost after the first shot, and I'm not about to waste a blinding bolt on them.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

No one here can "force" anything, and you need power over something in order to have your "demands" met, which again, we don't have. So it really does sound like you're just saying you don't want to hear criticism.

If the game shipped in the standard 16:9 ratio no one would have said "you know, this would be better at 2.5:1." No one has ever said that about any video game, I'm pretty sure.

Andrew.

Banned
I don't have issues getting "swarmed". My problems are with solitary enemies that decide to activate turbo boost after the first shot, and I'm not about to waste a blinding bolt on them.

Melee to stagger if they get too close then run and get distance. It isn't hard, especially with one enemy. Maybe aim a little better next time too. Also, leg shots.

Moze

Banned
So how does new game plus work? If i complete it on normal/survivor, can i carry all my items over to a higher difficulty?

Lucent

turret sections

It's not really different from how RE4 went. You still ended up on
an island with enemies that had guns and stuff.
At least chapter 11 still had a few creepy things like the
interior of the dark building, those swimming things, and the house full of gas.
Chapter 12 was kind of disappointing but I thought the end was decent. I wish there was more stuff like the previous chapters though. Chapter 10 was amazing for me.

Mikami's definition of casual seems... a little bit off.

Nope. I think it's fitting. lol. =P

Can a zombie can back to life if I blew his fucking brains out?

Nope. If you stealth kill, burn, or blow his head totally off, he can't come back.

Mupod

Watched a friend play this yesterday and it really sapped any hype I had left for the game. The visual filter is great, looks nice on PS4. But the slowness of the first two chapters were just too much for me...I guess it was my fault for expecting a game that starts off fast like RE4. When does the game get more action-oriented?

Immediately after you stopped watching. And chapter 3 should make you very happy if you liked RE4's intro.

Top Bottom