• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Lucent

It really sucks having to wait til night time to play this, but it's the best setting for me. Any playthrough after this I'll play whenever, but I wanted to play this first playthrough strictly at night with lights off and headphones on. Even if it's not a "holy shit" scary game, it still just adds so much to the mood/atmosphere/immersion. Makes it so it's like all I'm seeing/hearing is the game. It's awesome.

Lord Phol

You can turn it off. It's under your saved games as Autosave, or you can just press Continue on the main menu.

Cool, thanks! I can only play this game in short periods since I'm such a scaredy cat :D. Game is fun though, Chapter 3 only but it's really tense.

Dresden

What was in the room at the end of chapter 9? Accidentally cleared it by
sliding through the bookcase before checking out the whole place.

Taking a break -
tripped a mine as I was about to clear the spinning fan room
in chapter 10,
which tossed me into the air at just the right time for the fan to slice Seb through.

Andrew.

Banned
Froze, used rifle bullets, explosive Bioshock bolts and finally unloaded on him with 5-6 shotty rounds.

All weapon damage output was upgraded. Not at max though.

I'm wondering if anyone can help. I purchased the title through steam but whenever I start it up I'm met with. The google solutions don't seem to do anything :(

Y2rBssj.png

Ricker

What was in the room at the end of chapter 9? Accidentally cleared it by
sliding through the bookcase before checking out the whole place.

Taking a break -
tripped a mine as I was about to clear the spinning fan room
in chapter 10,
which tossed me into the air at just the right time for the fan to slice Seb through.

I freaked out and the same thing happened to me but just the head,which I saw lying on the ground for a few seconds...I also freaked out when
I was sneaking in there and spotted an ennemy,the ones with the weird white masks,heading towards me,also sneaking,that was some awesome AI lol

Squishy3

Froze, used rifle bullets, explosive Bioshock bolts and finally unloaded on him with 5-6 shotty rounds.

All weapon damage output was upgraded. Not at max though.
I have no rifle bullets and don't have any explosive bolts, and I don't have enough trap parts because there weren't any between the place I used them and the boss. I sat there farming the slugs that drop ammo for awhile and restocked and used all that ammo and still didn't come anywhere close to killing it, apparently. It doesn't help that if you get hit by random stuff and your health gets into the no sprint range you're dead because you can't outrun it.

Gator86

It seems to me that criticism regarding this game is not fine at all to you.
Black bars are fine, 30fps is fine, i would even take 480p if the game actually had a decent fov, ran smoothly and had better main character animations.
It's been a long time since i've played such an amazing game in which my enjoyment is being hampered so much by such small things which could and should have been addressed.
Nobody is forcing or demanding changes, i think there are a lot of people that see huge potential in an amazing game which if it had a few tweaks could have been so much more enjoyable, i don't see why people can't be upset.

That's basically every OT on Gaf, to some extent. After a while, the only people left in the topic love the game and they just attack anyone new coming in to make critical comments.

I agree with you on the bars and tech stuff. I feel like it's less design choice and more the devs struggling with the engine.

KyleCross

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
how would you guys feel if they took this exact engine, controls, etc
but instead of designing an re4 style rollercoaster where you're mostly moving forward, which is basically what evil within is
they dropped you into an re1 mansion style game

because, god i want that so badly. i mean, it's what i was hoping this would be back when they announced it, but it pretty quickly became apparent this was going to be more along the lines of an re4 style design, but with some of the survival bits of classic re

don't get me wrong. re4 is one of the fucking best designed games of all time. and i am really loving evil within
but i can't help think...what if

Have you seen the gameplay footage of Revelations 2?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGFWtM0OJcA

The RE camera and positioning are spot on.

It carries a little from the transitioning they've done with 4, but you can notice you are seeing more and more experiments with the camera. RE4 did a lot right, but I still think they are trying to perfect it. Capcom doesn't say a word and Mikami has done his own thing with his invention of RE4. I have to think they haven't had a lot of time to throw it off to other gens. I personally feel that Mikami was more influenced by the people he was working with. I feel like he probably had more of a say in RE4's design to be quite honest. I could be wrong though. It has to be one hell of a task to design a horror world. RE already has its premise setup. Who would of thought he "wasn't" thinking about another survival horror game unless TEW was it.

My local Chick-Fil-A is always so busy they usually have someone walking around the fucking parking lot to take drive through orders, I'm serious.

I've never seen anything like it.

The one here has been doing the same thing for the last month or so; it's certainly sped up the drive thru times.

Great game so far, just finnished chapter 9 and the pacing is superb. I'm surprised to say after all the complaining that I didn't really find the black borders or the fov to be a problem. It makes the experience a bit more claustrophobic at times wich isn't a bad thing at all imo.

HeelPower

Chapter 7.

Game is insane.This is a true mikami game.

Unmatched in the TPS field.

I am really depressed that Naughty dog games get rated higher because of the animation and VA.

The last of us doesn't hold a candle in terms of enemy variety or encounter/level design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick-fil-A_same-sex_marriage_controversy

I use to love their food, but I ain't giving those fucks anymore of my money.

On topic: I'm a little disappointed to learn that there's no infinite-ammo unlock for the game. Plowing through RE4 with infinite RPG and the Chicago Typewriter never stopped being fun. I'm thinking more and more that I really should've gotten the game on PC.
Oh, they're not your kind of people, fair enough.

and I agree infinite ammo would have been fun but if it took akuma mode to unlock eff that.

That's basically every OT on Gaf, to some extent. After a while, the only people left in the topic love the game and they just attack anyone new coming in to make critical comments.

I agree with you on the bars and tech stuff. I feel like it's less design choice and more the devs struggling with the engine.

How is not a design choice when it was a part of the outline of the game before an engine was even chosen? (going by the concept art.) Its clear they're not pro's with the engine,but no need to call the director a liar just to justify your refusal to respect and accept his vision.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm wondering if anyone can help. I purchased the title through steam but whenever I start it up I'm met with. The google solutions don't seem to do anything :(

Y2rBssj.png

I remember something like that with Direct X. You needed to reinstall whichever version you are using. Doom 3 had that problem I believe or it was RAGE. It stopped me from running Doom 3 on Vista a while back. It was a problem with one of the 3D codecs the game uses or it has something to do with internal memory usage. I'm no wizard troubleshooter here. I just remember having something similar.

Search for a similar Tech 5 problem or any of the id/Bethesda engines as well.

Check file integrity in Steam too. Right click and click on that

antitrop

Chapter 7.

I am really depressed that Naughty dog games get rated higher because of the animation and VA.

The last of us doesn't hold a candle in terms of enemy variety or encounter/level design.

I agree with you about the variety and level design, but I still think you're being just a bit unfair to The Last of Us.

I agree with you about the variety and level design, but I still think you're being just a bit unfair to The Last of Us.

Last of us suffers in those areas only because of how grounded it is in the reality of its world, some good'ol eastern WTF?! would have made it another game though. whether that game was better, we'll never know.

DukeBobby

Finished. 17 hours (I explored a lot) and 33 deaths.

The game definitely picked up again after chapters 11 & 12, and finished strongly, despite a poor end boss (even worse than Saddler).

Chapters 9 & 10 were definitely the highpoint of the game. Resident Evil 4 quality stuff. I had no idea what the game would throw at me next, and I loved every fucking minute of it.

This game is a rollercoaster. It has highs and lows and not much in-between. The good definitely outweighs the bad though, and in the end, it will sit comfortably in my top 10 this year.

I'd give this an 8.5/10. Were my expectations a bit high? Yes. Is it as good as I was expecting? No. Did I have a great time and will happily play it again? Fuck yes.

As for the story...I have no idea. Off to the spoiler thread I go.

maneil99

Chapter 7.

The Last of Us and this game have nothing in common. How you can draw the two together is beyond me

So should I go and drop $60 on this game? Is it worth it? There are just too many games now to buy and I'm on the fence for all of these:

The Evil Within
Borderlands TPS
Ryse

Ordered by how much I'm interested in them

antitrop

So should I go and drop $60 on this game? Is it worth it? There are just too many games now to buy and I'm on the fence for all of these:

The Evil Within
Borderlands TPS
Ryse

Ordered by how much I'm interested in them
I know you're a huge Borderlands fan, but The Evil Within is a hell of a game. Get Ryse on the cheap later for screenshots.

That Chapter 3. It will all make sense.

I remember something like that with Direct X. You needed to reinstall whichever version you are using. Doom 3 had that problem I believe or it was RAGE. It stopped me from running Doom 3 on Vista a while back. It was a problem with one of the 3D codecs the game uses or it has something to do with internal memory usage. I'm no wizard troubleshooter here. I just remember having something similar.

Search for a similar Tech 5 problem or any of the id/Bethesda engines as well.

Thanks for the tip! Didn't seem to solve the issue :-( I knew I should have gotten this on console

if he had said this in response to someone who was just praising the game left and right I would understand but I offered criticism so it wasn't necessary.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Chapter 9 managed to explain quite a bit, so that's another plus. Getting hold of the story now. Was a mishmash in the earlier chapters.

Must say the main character is still awful.

Corpsepyre

Banned
what ?

They are very similar.Only TLoU is much more limiting and repetitive.

Just look at the bottles man.

TLoU's story didn't allow for their to be such unearthy monstrosities, firstly. TEW is straight-up Hellraiser worship. Big difference between the two.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
And your wrong. I gave criticism on those very issues in my review. It's the people that whine about it constantly and make it a bigger issue then it is that is just annoying. They can cry all they want, but broken records and all.

You don't get to decide exactly how big an issue it is and then declare that other people are making it too big.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yeah, all was fine, I will try a redownload though to be sure

http://guide4games.net/the-evil-within-pc-issues-random-crashes-launch-problem-fixes/

If you are trying to launch the game and nothing happen, then make sure you have installed all redistributables from game installation folder. If yes then try the DEP (Data Execution Prevention) to fix this issue. Go to Control Panel, System and Security, System, Advance System Settings, Advance tab, and now select the Performance settings. Here hit the Data Execution Prevention tab and add the game’s exe.

Post it here if you haven't already.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=911735

I'd also send a ticket to Steam or try and call Bethesda's hotline or ticket system.

You could also see if Steam could refund you your money back possibly and get it on console.

You don't get to decide exactly how big an issue it is and then declare that other people are making it too big.

you took the words right out of my mouth, if it's not an issue for some then that's fine but don't assume something that doesn't bother you isn't a big issue for others.
And can other posters please stop jumping to the conclusion that everyone with a bad point to say about this game are complaining about the black bars and replying by saying it was the directors vision all along, i've said it countless times yet people seem to glace over the fact that i said the black bars are fine, i actually think they are nice, what i can't approve of though is if you design a game with such a screen ratio then you need to pull the camera back and have a better fov.
This thread is slowly turning very hateful and clearly doesn't take kindly to anyone without either an evil within avatar or only positive things to say about the game.

psychotron

Please help. Chapter 9.

Ruvik or whatever his name is keeps killing me. I shoot but bullets go right through. I run away but he follows. Really annoying.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Please help. Chapter 9.

Ruvik or whatever his name is keeps killing me. I shoot but bullets go right through. I run away but he follows. Really annoying.

You just need to run away for a while and eventually it'll go away.

Sanctuary

Are you playing on PC?piling points into accuracy made me a hot shot, I would imagine a pc player would already be one with a mouse to aim with

I am playing on PC, but I'm not sitting at a desk. I am playing on a 42'' plasma, so I have to use the controller--which sucks for aiming in this game. Also, you mentioned that you played the game on Casual. I just turned it to Casual where auto aim is on and head shots are ridiculously easy even when enemies are moving. I suggest playing on Survival for a bit to see what I'm talking about.

Who is deciding how big of a issue here? Have criticism on a game, don't go ape shit over overboard hyperbole on about the issue is all I'm saying.
This thread is slowly turning very hateful and clearly doesn't take kindly to anyone without either an evil within avatar or only positive things to say about the game.

First off, that's so cliche of someone to say. Second off, criticism is not disliked here nor does everything have to be positive. You coming at it like people are getting condemned for having issues with the game and maybe some posters are being a bit more blunt about things but not everyone. Please don't lump up the thoughts of some on this OT against the many.

Gator86

Who is deciding how big of a issue here? Have criticism on a game, don't go ape shit over overboard hyperbole on about the issue is all I'm saying.

That's kind of a strawman argument. No one is doing that.

For me, the bars break immersion rather than increase it. In chapter 11, for example, I want to look around and take in the scenery because it's really well done. That's difficult when a third of the screen is black bars and another third is the main character's ass.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

You are, when you say "making it a bigger issue than it is." That implies that your judgment of how big an issue it is is "correct" and people who find it to be a bigger issue than you do are somehow exaggerating, or too bothered by it, and not merely expressing their genuine feelings.

You've done it again just now by calling complaints that are more severe than your own "hyperbole." Hyperbole isn't just an opinion that is more extreme than your own. It's a willful exaggeration for effect, and people hating the FOV or the aspect ratio or whatever else are not necessarily exaggerating.

Hyperbole is one of the most abused words on GAF.

Top Bottom