• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Lucent

Instadeaths from regular enemies don't usually happen on "casual" settings :p

Hmmm...maybe they should've merely had the one-hit kill enemies pet you instead and let you kill them. Might've worked better.

Actually would've been funny if they replaced all the enemies with not so scary stuff like make it look like people clearly wearing a costume. lol

I'm willing to bet Gies didn't hear anything. every time we hear this from him its safe to say he;s talking out of his butt top try to sound like an insider, of which he's becoming less and less of as word gets out.

I honestly don't know what the problem is with these chapters - I'm halfway through 14 and it continues to be a master class in pacing. The only "bad" chapter for me was 6 and tht was mainly due to framerate on exteriors and some of the ugly visuals. I am in love with this game.
Me too, Knowing what you end up finding out about the actual situation, I'm finding all the things that are nitpicked make sense,
even the action turret and on rails boss segment
of chapter 12 I found as a fun departure and a moment to exhale after all the sphincter puckering from the other stages..I was never let down by any of the stages to the point where it broke my immersion and i was along for the ride and relished every out of the blue situation and statement. If i ever made a game it would have treaded along the same lines, and I appreciate that Mikiami understands pacing as well as he does, it may not be for everyone but man is it ever done well for those who can appreciate it.

Duxxy3

Hmmm...maybe they should've merely had the one-hit kill enemies pet you instead and let you kill them. Might've worked better.

Actually would've been funny if they replaced all the enemies with not so scary stuff like make it look like people clearly wearing a costume. lol

hahaha - i'm a filthy casual, but i'm still dying from laughing from this post

edit: so far my favorite part from chapter 8

when opening the lock you choose what side of the block to use. well one side of the block had blood on it, so it matched the rest of the door. yeah, there's a reason there's blood on it

Just got up to chapter 7, this game really takes off after a pretty terrible start. Story is still terrible, but the game itself is great. Playing on a 40" TV with Steam big picture mode, black bars removed, FOV fixed, 1440p, max settings, startup movies disabled, FPS unlocked, all on a comfy couch with a controller. I fucking love PC gaming.

Into

I think artistically its one of the better looking games yet. However its issues with frame rate and the black boxes have turned it into a "bad looking game".

There are moments where the game looks more interesting and atmospheric than just about anything out there these days. Its technical lows are low, but its highs are also very high.

But i do agree that it is not scary, neither was RE4 however. Its something i touched upon in that long ass review about the tone of the game, its not so much fear that the game is going for but rather revulsion. Its wants you to feel dirty, and i dont mean in a sexual way.

Lucent

hahaha - i'm a filthy casual, but i'm still dying from laughing from this post

edit: so far my favorite part from chapter 8

when opening the lock you choose what side of the block to use. well one side of the block had blood on it, so it matched the rest of the door. yeah, there's a reason there's blood on it

Yeah that was cool. I accidentally read how to figure that out but...I know I would've understood that. It makes so much sense.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I can't wait for The Order to come out as well. I fully expect the same treatment. :D

From what I've seen of The Order they have done a much better job with the FOV and character placement and camera animation and character animation. So it's not going to be as big a problem, I'm guessing. I could definitely be wrong about this.

Would it still be better as a fullscreen 16:9 experience built for the display technology that is completely standard at this point? Yes.

Here's why "filmic" aspect ratios simply don't work as well for games. In a film, the focus is in the foreground the vast majority of the time. The characters and their interactions happen front and center. When the focus is on the background, or a wide panoramic view, there's nothing obstructing it; it's framed with intent by the director. In either case, you don't have to make any effort as a viewer to "see" what the director wants you to see. In a 3D video game like TEW, the focus is almost always in the background. You look downfield into the picture for the elements that are relevant to play (e.g., enemies, places to explore, etc). Narrowing the window into that field and putting a character directly in front of the camera explicitly interferes with the player's ability to focus on those relevant aspects. The result is more fiddling with the camera, more effort spent trying to see what's happening, which takes focus away from the more important parts of the experience.

Nope not what I'm saying at all. You can take it that way if you will. Criticism is fine, forcing or demanding things to be changed because you want them changed is the issue.

It seems to me that criticism regarding this game is not fine at all to you.
Black bars are fine, 30fps is fine, i would even take 480p if the game actually had a decent fov, ran smoothly and had better main character animations.
It's been a long time since i've played such an amazing game in which my enjoyment is being hampered so much by such small things which could and should have been addressed.
Nobody is forcing or demanding changes, i think there are a lot of people that see huge potential in an amazing game which if it had a few tweaks could have been so much more enjoyable, i don't see why people can't be upset.

And done, that final boss! I was laughing so much, not cause it was stupid (kind of) but because of what happens during it, so much fan service.

So yeah the game never reaches the highs of the middle chapters, specifically 9 and 10 but is still a great ride from start to finish. Now to try the harder modes, should be even better. Easily one of the best games of the year.

So a bunch of you went straight for Akumu mode, skipping nightmare? Thats too much for me, I will do it in order.

Lucent

From what I've seen of The Order they have done a much better job with the FOV and character placement and camera animation and character animation. So it's not going to be as big a problem, I'm guessing. I could definitely be wrong about this.

Yeah the only thing I'm worried about is if the game is too corridor-y. I mean, I think they are meaning for it to be a story that keeps going, but it doesn't always have to be that linear. I guess we'll see when it comes out. But I don't think I'll be able to buy it day one like I did with this. But it looks awesome.

kunonabi

I think artistically its one of the better looking games yet. However its issues with frame rate and the black boxes have turned it into a "bad looking game".

There are moments where the game looks more interesting and atmospheric than just about anything out there these days. Its technical lows are low, but its highs are also very high.

But i do agree that it is not scary, neither was RE4 however. Its something i touched upon in that long ass review about the tone of the game, its not so much fear that the game is going for but rather revulsion. Its wants you to feel dirty, and i dont mean in a sexual way.

the letterboxing and framerate didn't bother me much. I found the texture pop-in much more distracting especially the outdoor sequences.

Black bars are fine, 30fps is fine, i would even take 480p if the game actually had a decent fov, ran smoothly and had better main character animations.
It's been a long time since i've played such an amazing game in which my enjoyment is being hampered so much by such small things which could and should have been addressed.
Nobody is forcing or demanding changes, i think there are a lot of people that see huge potential in an amazing game which if it had a few tweaks could have been so much more enjoyable, i don't see why people can't be upset.

The black bar are a design choice I wish people would stop bellyaching about, it constricting exactly as I feel it should be, I do hope he adds an option in his next game, I'll definitely be choosing but those who can't stand change fro the status quot of whatever gaming darling just dropped will get to play how they want to play, even if it does drain a portion of the experience.

Duxxy3

The more I play the PS3 version, the more I think that the team designed the game around this system first. It honestly is not half as bad as i expected.

Lucent

The more I play the PS3 version, the more I think that the team designed the game around this system first. It honestly is not half as bad as i expected.

Yeah it didn't look that bad to me, but the difference in textures and lighting from that comparison pic of the first chapter with the steps, columns, and door right before you enter the building was crazy. Been playing the PS4 version and I think it's a great looking game.

Except daylight areas can look kinda meh. Think chapter 6 was the worst looking but even then it wasn't that bad. Just nowhere near as good as the dark places, interiors,
caves
, and such.

Ricker

Never thought I could do it but I finished Chapter 10...that end Boss,man, took me at least 5 tries...playing on casual though lol,but hey it's still a challenge for me...you guys that are going to try this on Akuma and beat this game are crazy lol...good freakin luck ;)

Lucent

Never thought I could do it but I finished Chapter 10...that end Boss,man, took me at least 5 tries...playing on casual though lol,but hey it's still a challenge for me...you guys that are going to try this on Akuma and beat this game are crazy lol...good freakin luck ;)

Someone here already beat Akumu mode. lol

And your wrong. I gave criticism on those very issues in my review. It's the people that whine about it constantly and make it a bigger issue then it is that is just annoying. They can cry all they want, but broken records and all.

Ein Bear

This really does feel like the perfect marriage of RE4's action gameplay with the survival horror elements of the older RE titles.

I really wish Mikami had made Resident Evil 5. Evil Within is so great, but it's just got these janky elements that hold it back... Had it been made on MT Framework, with Capcom's Resident Evil team/budget behind it, we'd be looking at the Game of Forever.

Not that I'm not thoroughly enjoying the game as it stands, mind. I'm just missing that polished tightness
and hilarious, endlessly quotable script
of RE4.

L.O.R.D

steam version
chapter 3
game in crashing after stealth kill this zombie
F7DCFAAC4DFE876E4AADD25D0E24CC7586BC3BAE

so , i didn't kill him last time
i went up and found a zombie with a torch
killed him , tried to burn him , and the game crashed too

any idea why ?

Sanctuary

(chapter 10) Does anyone how you're supposed to get the
trap tools and key statue next to the elevator at the checkpoint before the Laura fight?
I have no idea how to get into that elevator, and it seems like the only way to use it is from below.

Melee to stagger if they get too close then run and get distance. It isn't hard, especially with one enemy. Maybe aim a little better next time too. Also, leg shots.

I've already finished the game and am almost done with the second clear. I don't need help on killing enemies, and I never had a problem with what to do. I know how to turn around and run as well as leg shots and headshots.

Post a video of you getting a second headshot off with the super zoomed in camera when your first shot doesn't crit and they rush towards you with their head weaving side to side. That is what I hate about this game. They start moving at RE4 gonado speed, yet your character was not designed to compensate so you have to run back a bit. I'm not talking about max distance either, I'm talking about all of the medium range fights where the enemies aren't more than 15 feet away.

I'm playing on PS3 as well its still last gen in comparison but i could really see this as being the lead platform now that you mention it,at least initially.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Does anyone how you're supposed to get the
trap tools and key statue next to the elevator at the checkpoint before the Laura fight?
I have no idea how to get into that elevator, and it seems like the only way to use it is from below.

Are you talking about the fight on Chapter 10? If so, I am pretty certain you can only get that stuff
If you defeat Laura herself.

Edit: Yeah, you edited. The supplies
are right next to the elevator that you exit out on, but if Laura is still chasing you that cutscene triggers of cutting her arms off. However, if you've defeated her, that cutscene won't trigger and you can freely collect the supplies before the elevator.

Does anyone how you're supposed to get the

I've already finished the game and am almost done with the second clear. I don't need help on killing enemies, and I never had a problem with what to do. I know how to turn around and run as well as leg shots and head shots.

Post a video of you getting a second headshot off with the super zoomed in camera when your first shot doesn't crit and they rush towards you with their head weaving side to side. That is what I hate about this game. They start moving at RE4 gonado speed, yet your character was not designed to compensate so you have to run back a bit. I'm not talking about max distance either, I'm talking about all of the medium range fights where the enemies aren't more than 15 feet away.
I get double headshot chances all the time,whether the haunted are running or not, it helps that my accuracy and firing rate are near max, its not really him being ill equiped its more you not spec'ing for that, seriously, those two details make a difference and on my second shot I usually crit thanks to 50% critical!

DVCY201

(chapter 10) Does anyone how you're supposed to get the

I'm fairly confident you have to legitimately beat her. Otherwise, you get a cutscene.

Finished Chapter 12, not nearly as bad as everyone says.

Sanctuary

Are you talking about the fight on Chapter 10? If so, I am pretty certain you can only get that stuff
If you defeat Laura herself.

Edit: Yeah, you edited. The supplies
are right next to the elevator that you exit out on, but if Laura is still chasing you that cutscene triggers of cutting her arms off. However, if you've defeated her, that cutscene won't trigger and you can freely collect the supplies before the elevator.

Wow okay. I wish I had known you could actually legitimately
kill her on that fight since I have a rocket launcher...

Also, how are you supposed to get the Master of Unlocking achievement, when a single playthrough doesn't give you enough keys, and they don't seem to respawn on NG+?

I get double headshot chances all the time,whether the haunted are running or not, it helps that my accuracy and firing rate are near max, its not really him being ill equiped its more you not spec'ing for that, seriously, those two details make a difference and on my second shot I usually crit thanks to 50% critical!

I maxed both accuracy and crit for my first upgrades on my first playthrough. Accuracy barely stops the reticle movement. I did not however upgrade the firing speed, because the whole point of the critical is that you explode them in a single hit. I could get two shots off easily if I just lined up the shot and hit the trigger twice, but not on reaction.

I'm fairly confident you have to legitimately beat her. Otherwise, you get a cutscene.

Finished Chapter 12, not nearly as bad as everyone says.

I think people are just stuck in one mood when it comes to the game play and environment,I found that chapter exhilarating, going back and replaying it with OP weapons has been a blast.

steam version
chapter 3
game in crashing after stealth kill this zombie

so , i didn't kill him last time
i went up and found a zombie with a torch
killed him , tried to burn him , and the game crashed too

any idea why ?

Have you tried verifying the game files?

Corpsepyre

Banned
Finished Chapter 9, and woah! Brutal, in-your-face horror. Loved it! This is what I want from this game.

That part near the end was total Berserk/Hellraiser worship. Awesome fucking stuff!

Wow okay. I wish I had known you could actually legitimately
kill her on that fight since I have a rocket launcher...

Also, how are you supposed to get the Master of Unlocking achievement, when a single playthrough doesn't give you enough keys, and they don't seem to respawn on NG+?

I maxed both accuracy and crit for my first upgrades on my first playthrough. Accuracy barely stops the reticle movement. I did not however upgrade the firing speed, because the whole point of the critical is that you explode them in a single hit. I could get two shots off easily if I just lined up the shot and hit the trigger twice, but not on reaction.

Are you playing on PC?piling points into accuracy made me a hot shot, I would imagine a pc player would already be one with a mouse to aim with

You shouldn't give Chick Fil A your money. Terrible people.

how are they terrible?

Grief.exe

The black bar are a design choice I wish people would stop bellyaching about, it constricting exactly as I feel it should be, I do hope he adds an option in his next game, I'll definitely be choosing but those who can't stand change fro the status quot of whatever gaming darling just dropped will get to play how they want to play, even if it does drain a portion of the experience.

It probably started out as a performance choice, but the game was built around the concept.

The performance on both current-gen console should corroborate this point. If they had been rendering a full 16:9 aspect ratio, both versions would likely be well below 20 FPS at times.

I LOVE THE FUCKIN BLACK BARS

*goes back to eating chick fil a and beating said amazing game on his big screen*

Playing on PC, sitting that close to the monitor with a constrained FOV and black bars can degrade the experience.

Personally, it gives me a headache. Even beyond that, I find the game to be much more playable at full 16:9.

Lucent

My local Chick-Fil-A is always so busy they usually have someone walking around the fucking parking lot to take drive through orders, I'm serious.

I've never seen anything like it.

McDonalds does this, too. But that's sort of expected with McDonalds. Meanwhile Burger King is crying next to it with its empty lot. Poor Burger King. ;-;

Title for |OT2| Would you like Dies with that?
hahah. haha...ha....=(

I'm not funny.

McDonalds does this, too. But that's sort of expected with McDonalds. Meanwhile Burger King is crying next to it with its empty lot. Poor Burger King. ;-;

hahah. haha...ha....=(

I'm not funny.

burger king needs to FIX THEIR FRICKING ICEE MACHINE ITS ALWAYS BROKEN!

antitrop

hahah. haha...ha....=(

I'm not funny.

I've never seen any McDonald's around here do that. Not even close. I used to work at McDonald's in high school and I never had to do that.

Working there probably wasn't worth the pain, but at least I could afford a brand new PS2 and every great game that came out in 2001 when I was 15, while my friends were still playing PS1s and N64s.

I get my Icees from 7-11

Thank God the game returned to form with chapter 13. Hopefully it ends on a high note. Also, I'm enjoying the story. Sure, it's ridiculous, but it's definitely kept me engaged.

Lucent

lol. I've never gotten an icee there. The only reason I ever eat there is their chicken sandwiches. Especially when they have the spicy tendercrisp.

I've never seen any McDonald's around here do that. Not even close. I used to work at McDonald's in high school and I never had to do that.

Working at McDonald's sucked out my soul, but at least I could afford a brand new PS2 and every great game that came out in 2001 when I was 15, while my friends were still playing PS1s and N64s.

I get my Icees from 7-11

Geez 15? I wish I was that motivated when I was that old. lol. But yeah some of the McDonalds here are so busy that the parking lot is full and the drive through is so long that you're told to pull up to the entrance so an employee can come out and give you your food cuz gotta get that drive through going.

#goingoffontangents

Can't wait to see what chapter 13 brings. hehehe...heh

Thank God the game returned to form with chapter 13. Hopefully it ends on a high note. Also, I'm enjoying the story. Sure, it's ridiculous, but it's definitely kept me engaged.

Yay! =D

I get my Icees from 7-11
I get mine from the cornerstore too but when i go to the BK every blue moon to get the original chicken sammich i want to be able to get an icee along with it, and its ALWAYS BROKEN, i've been in this area 4 years -__-
lol. I've never gotten an icee there. The only reason I ever eat there is their chicken sandwiches. Especially when they have the spicy tendercrisp.

Geez 15? I wish I was that motivated when I was that old. lol. But yeah some of the McDonalds here are so busy that the parking lot is full and the drive through is so long that you're told to pull up to the entrance so an employee can come out and give you your food cuz gotta get that drive through going.

#goingoffontangents

Can't wait to see what chapter 13 brings. hehehe...heh

Yay! =D
I can only stomach the original chicken sammich and its spicey brethren!

Top Bottom