• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

-MD-

The game from the marketing materials and interviews i've seen was presented as a survival horror experience were stealth and making every shot count was needed in order to progress. The protagonist is way too powerful.

That's far from it... playing it normally the game has been very generous with ammunition and upgrade material. No much need for any type of stealth nor avoiding or runing from normal enemies. Just action run and shoot. It is the unofficial sequel to RE 4.

See this is interesting to me, the most ammo I've ever gotten from a single pick up has been like 4-5 pistol rounds. 75% of the time it's a single shotgun shell or a single bolt laying around.

I was overloaded on ammo in chapters 1-5 because I stealth killed almost everything but since then I've been consistently low on ammo, and I aim/utilize matches well. The way the game has fed resources to me on normal has been great. Stealth can be used to great effect in at least 3 or 4 chapters. Are you playing on casual?

Sanctuary

I just figured out a super easy way to take out the Chapter 3 boss without the ladder exploit and only two bolts. You might even be able to do it with a single bolt, and if you have a lot of patience, none.

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I had not seen it. This also won't get you the achievement, but that's better done on a lower difficulty. I did this on Akumu.
Just upgrade Flash bolt to 10s at least and lure him to the house with the trap that shoots projectiles down from the ceiling. Use the bolt, use the trap, stab him in the throat, use the trap. Now I ended up using a second bolt to stab him in the throat again and another trap use, but you can probably just get away with kiting him for the one or two more trap uses to finish him off.

The game from the marketing materials and interviews i've seen was presented as a survival horror experience were stealth and making every shot count was needed in order to progress.

That's far from it... playing it normally the game has been very generous with ammunition and upgrade material. No much need for any type of stealth nor avoiding or runing from normal enemies. Just action run and shoot. The protagonist is way too powerful. It is the unofficial sequel to RE 4.

Visually astonishing game, no doubt my favorite visuals among any of this generation of games. Art design is superb.

Game is really fun, just not scary at all.
I can watch horror movies like the exorcist without flinching, but this game managed to startle me more than a few times. I absolutely love the atmosphere in this game. Scary and still manages to entertain with great action and combat.

I"m up to Chapter 11 and I still think the game has yet to top Chapter 3 in terms of level design and structure. Completely open ended and gives you options to stealth or go loud. Very reminiscent of the RE4 village. The rest has been disappointingly straightforward. I think Chapter 9 was pretty similar to Chapter 3 in terms of level design, but
Ruvik
totally ruins it for me. I ended up blitzing through it and even then there were only about 5-6 enemies throughout.

Sanctuary

I feel like playing this game on god mode or something when I hear this. It's not exactly difficult but this sort of thing I find infuriating.

I'm not sure he can actually "spawn" on top of the player.
The screen flashes for a long time letting you know what's about to happen and he appears a little ways away from you. He does teleport, but that's not the same thing, and if you're moving you won't get hit by him.

I"m up to Chapter 11 and I still think the game has yet to top Chapter 3 in terms of level design and structure. Completely open ended and gives you options to stealth or go loud. Very reminiscent of the RE4 village. The rest has been disappointingly straightforward. I think Chapter 9 was pretty similar to Chapter 3 in terms of level design, but
Ruvik
totally ruins it for me. I ended up blitzing through it and even then there were only about 5-6 enemies throughout.

Yep, chapters 2-4 are the best for atmosphere, while 3 is the best of them. Chapter 9 was a missed opportunity. Not because of
Ruvik
, but because it's too damn short.

PC is a no brainer, not only is it 30fps locked but like you said you have the option to adjust letterboxing/FOV. You can also use your dualshock 4 on the PC.

Alright, cool, thanks. It's funny that my PC pretty much has been cramping my PS4's style for while, and I guess it will continue to do so. My guess is a i5 2500k and a 6950 2GB is enough to get this game at 30fps with increase FOV, right? Now I wish that I had picked up the game with the GMG massive discount earlier. Anyone have a guess when this will go on sale again?

If it was the only thing I was planning on buying for a while, full price would be alright. But I'm already looking at $60 for Bayonetta 2, $40 for Tales of Hearts R, and at least $200 for a Wii U, though maybe I'll find a great deal on Black Friday...

PS:(As for the Dualshock 4 thing, it sucks because I've messed with those programs before, and now I'm not sure I can get a proper "clean-slate" to install the much better versions hanging around now. I even have a bluetooth adapter ready for wireless, but I can't figure out how to get DS4 Windows to recognize and use it. I'm stuck with the hilariously short charging cable in wired mode...)

Lucent

In chapter 9 ghost douche spawned right on top of me for an instakill. Terrible game design is a prominent feature of TEW.

I feel like playing this game on god mode or something when I hear this. It's not exactly difficult but this sort of thing I find infuriating.

There's a reason for that and Slasher explained it pretty well.

When the room
turns blue
, you hear a
humming sound. It gets louder the closer he gets to you. And the farther you get, the quieter the sound is. If you get too far out of the range of the sound while the room is blue, he'll teleport to you. He doesn't like being ignored. =P

So yeah, just stay enough in range to hear
his sound but of course don't let him touch you. He'll go away.

I just figured out a super easy way to take out the Chapter 3 boss without the ladder exploit and only two bolts. You might even be able to do it with a single bolt, and if you have a lot of patience, none.

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I had not seen it. This also won't get you the achievement, but that's better done on a lower difficulty. I did this on Akumu.
Just upgrade Flash bolt to 10s at least and lure him to the house with the trap that shoots projectiles down from the ceiling. Use the bolt, use the trap, stab him in the throat, use the trap. Now I ended up using a second bolt to stab him in the throat again and another trap use, but you can probably just get away with kiting him for the one or two more trap uses to finish him off.

I just used the trap. Didn't know there was any other way to kill him.

-MD-

Alright, cool, thanks. It's funny that my PC pretty much has been cramping my PS4's style for while, and I guess it will continue to do so. My guess is a i5 2500k and a 6950 2GB is enough to get this game at 30fps with increase FOV, right? Now I wish that I had picked up the game with the GMG massive discount earlier. Anyone have a guess when this will go on sale again?

If it was the only thing I was planning on buying for a while, full price would be alright. But I'm already looking at $60 for Bayonetta 2, $40 for Tales of Hearts R, and at least $200 for a Wii U, though maybe I'll find a great deal on Black Friday...

PS:(As for the Dualshock 4 thing, it sucks because I've messed with those programs before, and now I'm not sure I can get a proper "clean-slate" to install the much better versions hanging around now. I even have a bluetooth adapter ready for wireless, but I can't figure out how to get DS4 Windows to recognize and use it. I'm stuck with the hilariously short charging cable in wired mode...)

20% off on GMG still

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/evil-within/

U9OULG-XRTO1V-4VMUGZ

Nibel

What part specifically? Just replayed that this morning and going into it again knowing whats ahead really makes it go pretty quick.

Mhm, just the general feel of that level, and
machine gun enemies

But since I only died 56 times in my first run, I think I could beat the higher difficulties.

Sanctuary

I just used the trap. Didn't know there was any other way to kill him.

You get an achievement for killing him
with just the knife.
edit: I actually wondered about a no upgrade Akumu run. I think I'll just finish Akumu normally first. And TBH, Akumu is "fun", but I think Nightmare is probably the best for overall enjoyment. Akumu can turn into Edge of Tomorrow: The Game.

While playing Chapter 11 I could instantly tell it would be the chapter many people hate. But in reality it has some really well designed setpieces and constant variety. I rather play a game that never does the same thing twice than one that stays thematically consistent. Chapter 11 always kept me on my toes.

I'm not sure he can actually "spawn" on top of the player.
The screen flashes for a long time letting you know what's about to happen and he appears a little ways away from you. He does teleport, but that's not the same thing, and if you're moving you won't get hit by him.

he most certainly can and did. i'm sure it's a rare occurrence though.

Sanctuary

he most certainly can and did. i'm sure it's a rare occurrence though.

Seriously, no idea how that can happen. You have plenty of warning for when he's incoming initially, and you can literally just walk until you hear his
teleport
and then you do a single dash and just walk again, repeating until he leaves. It also seems like his appearance is on a strict timer and not random. So it's pretty easy to navigate the area with save abuse after each event. Just use the
stairwell.

My opinion is pretty much the same, although i would actually be inclined to call this a masterpiece if the fov and camera were fixed, which i'm guessing is possible for those playing on a pc. So much amazing potential which for me was wasted due to the horrendous camera and poor fov, i'm still praying for a resident evil 6 style fix but it's not looking hopeful given that so many people don't see any of the problems i noticed.
It's been such a long time since i've played a game with such amazing artwork in this style, yet such a shame that the fov and camera didn't so it justice.

Indeed. There were many instances where I thought "I really love this environment. I sure do wish I could get a good view of it."

aravuus

My guess is a i5 2500k and a 6950 2GB is enough to get this game at 30fps with increase FOV, right?

Maybe, maybe not. Seems like a very shoddy port, had some situations where my GTX760/i5-3570k PC had problems keeping the framerate locked on 30 and there were a couple of (thankfully very) brief moments where it literally dropped to like 15 for ten or so seconds.

See this is interesting to me, the most ammo I've ever gotten from a single pick up has been like 4-5 pistol rounds. 75% of the time it's a single shotgun shell or a single bolt laying around.

I was overloaded on ammo in chapters 1-5 because I stealth killed almost everything but since then I've been consistently low on ammo, and I aim/utilize matches well. The way the game has fed resources to me on normal has been great. Stealth can be used to great effect in at least 3 or 4 chapters. Are you playing on casual?
Survival mode. Shoot it out of every situation not even bothering much to burn bodies even. Blow their heads up or stump them when they are in the ground.

No matter how fun the game is to me, it is not survival horror as we have been led to believe. The player character is a human walking armory, there's no inventory management. The crossbow (with many ammo types), the sniper, the shotgun, the revolver, grenades, healing items all availbale... all the time.
I can watch horror movies like the exorcist without flinching, but this game managed to startle me more than a few times. I absolutely love the atmosphere in this game. Scary and still manages to entertain with great action and combat.
So RE4 most have been terrifying for you.

The player is just too overpowered in this game to be considered horror. And that's playing it in the highest difficulty available in the first playthrough. Maybe the 3rd one? should have been selectable from the beggining. Asuming theres a 3rd one since it's hinted by the skull number.

Game is super enjoyable. There was no need to market it as something it isn't.

Lucent

While playing Chapter 11 I could instantly tell it would be the chapter many people hate. But in reality it has some really well designed setpieces and constant variety. I rather play a game that never does the same thing twice than one that stays thematically consistent. Chapter 11 always kept me on my toes.

Yeah it wasn't nearly as bad as people made it sound. It still threw in several different scenarios to deal with.

The "fish" guys.

Dealing with haunted that had different weapons that haven't been seen but didn't seem too brutal.

The dark building interior.

The room filled with gas. Seriously, when I got to the keycard, the enemy looked towards me with those eerie blue/white eyes and that's all I could see besides the silhouette of his body. I eff'n ran down that tight corridor I squeezed through and ran to the door.

The little lift ride thing.

Meeting that Ruvik wannabe.

Didn't really care much for chapter
besides

Sneaking to the ambulance

Mowing down haunted with the turret actually felt kind of good

And hitting them with the bus. lol

Seriously, no idea how that can happen. You have plenty of warning for when he's incoming initially, and you can literally just walk until you hear his
teleport
and then you do a single dash and just walk again, repeating until he leaves. It also seems like his appearance is on a strict timer and not random. So it's pretty easy to navigate the area with save abuse after each event. Just use the
stairwell.

i know the tells. if you don't believe me whatever. doesn't change the fact that it happened.

Sanctuary

Survival mode. Shoot it out of every situation not even bothering much to burn bodies even. Blow their heads up or stump them when they are in the ground.

No matter how fun the game is to me, it is not survival horror as we have been led to believe. The player character is a human walking armory, there's no inventory management. The crossbow (with many ammo types), the sniper, the shotgun, the revolver, grenades, healing items all availbale... all the time.

So RE4 most have been terrifying for you.

The player is just too overpowered in this game to be considered horror. And that's playing it in the highest difficulty available in the first playthrough. Maybe the 3rd one? should have been selectable from the beggining. Asuming theres a 3rd one since it's hinted by the skull number.

Play on Nightmare or Akumu (you die if hit by anything) and get back with us about how much of a walking armory Sebastian is. There are more enemies and less ammo. Nightmare is the real Survival Horror game (until the later chapters), but it's sad that you have to finish the game first to unlock it.

i know the tells. if you don't believe me whatever. doesn't change the fact that it happened.

I haven't experienced it, and I even played around on that level for an extra long time just to see if he could actually
teleport in front of the player
like someone else said had happened to him. Never could get that to happen, but that doesn't mean it doesn't. Thing is, it seems so rare that it's not something to get worked up over.

-MD-

The game was very generous to you with its randomization it seems. You should give Nightmare mode a shot.

Was probably a fluke,
he spawned about 5 times during that chapter for me and he was always a safe distance away initially, only when I tried to run far away did he ever get in my face. I remember an instance before the game came out of some convention footage where he spawned right on top of the player as he opened a door and he actually warped backwards like 5 feet to give the player a chance to escape.

I wish the game had visible health gauges for the enemies.

I wish to be able to gauge how much damage I am doing with each weapon and based on that decide decide if I should try a different method/weapon or target a different body part.

I am sure I am only the only one who wants that as most people seem to be obsessed with HUDless gaming.

The more mystery a game like this has the better imo.

Yep, chapters 2-4 are the best for atmosphere, while 3 is the best of them. Chapter 9 was a missed opportunity. Not because of
Ruvik
, but because it's too damn short.

I think the presence of Ruvik informed the length of that chapter. They probably thought that players wouldn't be able to handle the sustained stress of being stalked by an insta-kill enemy for too long. Or maybe it's the other way around and they found out that the level was too short and decided to add Ruvik to add another layer of challenge and lengthen the chapter a bit.

HeelPower

I wish the game had visible health gauges for the enemies.

I wish to be able to gauge how much damage I am doing with each weapon and based on that decide decide if I should try a different method/weapon or target a different body part.

I am sure I am only the only one who wants that as most people seem to be obsessed with HUDless gaming.

Well didn't Mikimi did say something about being to old? Perhaps he really DOES think he made an old school survival horror game. But yeah, it's a modern action horror game through and through. A very good one, yes. But in no way was I reminded of any sort of old school design sensibilities.

Facism

This is actually insane

I was in the same boat and I'd say yes. I never really got into the survival horror genre cause I always hated how they played (tank controls etc), but I really, really liked TEW.

On top of that, TEW isn't exactly that scary or scary at all, more like suspenseful, and there are very few jump scares.

got partway through episode 2 before his voice and opinions gave me an ear infection.

Gator86

There's a reason for that and Slasher explained it pretty well.

When the room
turns blue
, you hear a
humming sound. It gets louder the closer he gets to you. And the farther you get, the quieter the sound is. If you get too far out of the range of the sound while the room is blue, he'll teleport to you. He doesn't like being ignored. =P

So yeah, just stay enough in range to hear
his sound but of course don't let him touch you. He'll go away.

That's just a fucking terrible mechanic and the type of stuff that should be weeded put during game testing. It's a completely inane, random mechanic that comes out of nowhere and has no association with anything else the player has learned up until that point. It's just bad game design. 99% of players will have no clue that mechanic even exists by the time they finish the game.

woahwut!? *takes out wallet*

Maybe, maybe not. Seems like a very shoddy port, had some situations where my GTX760/i5-3570k PC had problems keeping the framerate locked on 30 and there were a couple of (thankfully very) brief moments where it literally dropped to like 15 for ten or so seconds.

*cautiously considers putting away wallet*

Dammit. First I learn that I can still get the game cheaper than on consoles (with the season pass even), but now, there is doubt :(. I guess I should browse the PC performance thread.

Ein Bear

I'm honestly finding the game for 'scarier' than any Resident Evil title. Have been playing it with headphones in the dark, and it's shitting me right up.

Definitely don't think they were wrong to market it as 'survival horror'.

Play on Nightmare or Akumu and get back with us about how much of a walking armory Sebastian is. There are more enemies and less ammo. Nightmare is the real Survival Horror game (until the later chapters), but it's sad that you have to finish the game first to unlock it.
Do i enter a code in the select screen the first time i play the game? Cause i swear there were just 2 difficulty levels selectable: Casual and survival.

It is not wise to hide the game true colors for a consecutive playthrough of the game, people's time is scarce nowadays with so many time thinkers available. If Nightmare was the difficulty level that worked as advertised then it should have been available since the begining.

Heck from now on every game should have 2 difficulty descriptions:

"Joy Ride" and "Work Hard for the Money" XD

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Saying that people who call this game a masterpiece have a different definition of that word than I do is inflammatory? It's an opinion, and negative ones are clearly not very welcome in this thread.
This is true, you and everyone else do have different definitions of what makes a good game.
I'm sure there's a possibility if you told us what you do consider is better or is a masterpiece some will laugh and pick that game apart.
Thats opinions though and the only way to judge is how many agree with that opinion, I'm guessing(and don't take this the wrong way) you're not gonna get many votes.
But you are entitled to your opinion just don't expect it to be "fact" all the time.

Sanctuary

That's just a fucking terrible mechanic and the type of stuff that should be weeded put during game testing. It's a completely inane, random mechanic that comes out of nowhere and has no association with anything else the player has learned up until that point. It's just bad game design. 99% of players will have no clue that mechanic even exists by the time they finish the game.

You don't even need to know that. He gives a VERY audible tell when he
teleports
and he's super easy to avoid after it happens.

Do i enter a code in the select screen the first time i play the game? Cause i swear there were just 2 difficulty levels selectable: Casual and survival.

It is not wise to hide the game true colors for a consecutive playthrough of the game, people's time is scarce nowadays with so many time thinkers available. If Nightmare was the difficulty level that worked as advertised then it should have been available since the begining.

Not even sure why you asked the first question when you answered it, and it's also in what you quoted. I agree that it sucks, but your experience seems to be somewhat random, because ammo is pretty scarce after chapter 5 if you're using it up for each kill. I would only ever see ammo drops of 1-3 with the very rare 4.

99% of players won't notice that if you
run too far away, he teleports directly to them
?

I worry about these players, then.

Yeah, I don't know how something that obvious is going to be missed after it happens once.

99% of players won't notice that if you
run too far away, he teleports directly to them
?

I worry about these players, then.

Lucent

I guess I'm just not that sensitive to this kind of stuff. I don't mind getting slaughtered and wondering what happened and figuring out how and why it happened. I like being surprised. Would be lame if you were like "lol I know exactly what to do with this guy BOOM not a problem moving on!"

TheMoon

I'm honestly finding the game for 'scarier' than any Resident Evil title. Have been playing it with headphones in the dark, and it's shitting me right up.

The game I've been playing up until now (completed ch. 2) definitely fits the bill. Of course that's just the early goings, though.

-MD-

That chapter is like 90 minutes long, a typical player is gonna
encounter him like 5-10 times, if they don't catch on that he warps when you run far away from him
then they're blind.

Dresden

I didn't find it all that 'scary' until ch10 or so. The extraordinary tension as you hope there will be a checkpoint soon is the greatest fear of them all.

That's not a problem, though. Inscrutability isn't a flaw here, and even when the player doesn't know, it's easy enough to get away provided he keeps moving.

teleport
stairwell.

Because it cant if your not running too far away. The high pitched noise is the key. You cant run as far away as possible, doesn't work that way. They did this because the player can easily outrun him. Keep a medium ground and he will never warp right next to you.

Pretty much. Most of the bitching I've seen about ch11 seems for non-gameplay reasons, which is kinda dumb.

antitrop

I'm very happy with the story development in Chapter 9.

I'm halfway through 10 now and the story is starting to come together better than I expected it to.

Sanctuary

Because it cant if your not running too far away. The high pitched noise is the key. You cant run as far away as possible, doesn't work that way. They did this because the player can easily outrun him. Keep a medium ground and he will never warp right next to you.

I never tried running to the next state anyway. I just
slowly ran circles up and down the stairwell. I would run to the stairwell every single time he would spawn too except for the one time I was at the top of the library...which is a big circle too. And he's warped "right next to me" plenty of times and I would do a single sprint and continue walking.
Still no idea what the issue is or what this "vague mechanic" that people are making a big deal out of is.

And as I said, each appearance seems to be on an approximate timer from one to the next.

I'm very happy with the story development in Chapter 9.

I'm halfway through 10 now and the story is starting to come together better than I expected it to.

It still won't make complete sense after you've heard every audio tape, read every document, collected every poster and seen every cutscene. There are a few questions that never get answered.

I still say chapter 1 and 8 are worse then 11. Gameplay wise 11 works just fine. Though saying that, I don't find any of the chapters terrible. That works require me not having fun and I enjoyed the entire game.

Top Bottom