• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Probably a dumb question but: when you restart a playthrough and go to a harder difficulty do upgrades carry over? I'm guessing no.

Also I just did the first part of chapter 3 w/ the couple of mansions and the chainsaw guy. Felt so good to lure him to the spike trap.

-MD-

Probably a dumb question but: when you restart a playthrough and go to a harder difficulty do upgrades carry over? I'm guessing no.

Also I just did the first part of chapter 3 w/ the couple of mansions and the chainsaw guy. Felt so good to lure him to the spike trap.

Your upgrades do not carry over to a higher difficulty, only NG+ on the same difficulty.

Or, you know, people have different opinions. Hard to fathom, I know.

Yeah that rubbed me the wrong way.

Finished the game early this morning. Played on Survivor difficulty and went the zero upgrade route, which was probably a mistake for a first playthrough as it made the game more difficult than it already would have been. Clear time 18:53, with 154 deaths (and many, many reloads).

Great level design, amazing artistic design, excellent pacing and enemy encounters, all brought down several notches by plentiful technical issues and glitches, along with some horrid design choices and an unsatisfying resolution. The dreadful visual combo of aspect ratio + FOV + godawful camera was an ever-present source of frustration which essentially ruined my enjoyment of the game. This was my most anticipated title of the year, and overall I'd have to say it was a disappointment. I'd give it a 6/10, those calling this a masterpiece have a very loose definition of the term.

How big is the TV you're playing on? The aspect ratio/FOV was a non-issue for me.

After a string of really cool chapters, I didn't really like chapter 6. The
daylight
-setting was kind of boring and it also made the messy graphics even messier. Hopefully this was the low point!

I do wonder though, at the end where you fight the
dog
, when you go back to get
the glasses
, can you
actually kill the dog?
I tried it for a while but kept dying so whatever. And if you can, what do you get out of it?

mcmmaster

Beat it today, played on Survival difficulty and clocked in at 15:32 with 69 deaths.

Tension was consistent and I found myself constantly running low on ammo. Chapter 3 was perhaps my highlight, the level design in that area really stood out.

-MD-

After a string of really cool chapters, I didn't really like chapter 6. The
daylight
-setting was kind of boring and it also made the messy graphics even messier. Hopefully this was the low point!

I do wonder though, at the end where you fight the
dog
, when you go back to get
the glasses
, can you
actually kill the dog?
I tried it for a while but kept dying so whatever. And if you can, what do you get out of it?

Chapter 6 was the low point for me, 7-10 are a treat (that's as far as I've completed).

And yes you can
kill the dog, you get a humorous line of dialogue if you do (and maybe some green gel? I forget).

Tension was consistent and I found myself constantly running low on ammo. Chapter 3 was perhaps my highlight, the level design in that area really stood out.

Chapter 3 was excellent I agree, definitely toward the top of my favorite chapters.

What's wrong with the camera?

Seriously? Most of my deaths in this game were because I moved into the wrong position relative to an enemy and all of a sudden couldn't see anything that was going on. I'd say the absolute worst example for this was in chapter 13,
the meat freezer fight against the Keeper
, but it's bad in just about every encounter in small areas, which unfortunately includes nearly every boss fight. Aiming at an enemy that's quickly moving towards you is utterly impossible. And the fact that you have to tilt/pan in just the right direction to get the prompt for item pickups or match burns doesn't help, either.

How big is the TV you're playing on? The aspect ratio/FOV was a non-issue for me.

50 inches.

-MD-

@Vaultboy - Can't quote you because of the spoiler but yes seriously, can't say the camera has given me any problems at all.

NeoGiff

I suppose I better pop in here and be counted. I've been playing through the game slowly, and I've loved it so far.

Just finished Chapter
, and I loved it.
My heart was pounding every time Ruvik appeared. Not to mention that its set in a beautiful combination of the RE1 mansion and Salazar's castle from RE4, before segueing nicely into the barn where you fight Mendez in RE4. Great stuff.

I also got the trophy for [Chapter 7 spoilers]
"only" killing the Keeper twice by accident; I was just trying to stay away from the bastard.

Or, you know, people have different opinions. Hard to fathom, I know.

Of course they do, and I was offering mine. A game with this many technical issues simply cannot be a masterpiece, in my opinion.

Nah. The obvious answer
if you're an idiot
is that those people are objectively wrong, and Vaultboy's opinion obviously reigns supreme.

I never said anything of the sort. I guess I should've been more careful when offering my non-glowing opinion of the game in a thread that's already been proven to be hostile to those who have issues with it, though.

ak1276

Banned
Of course they do, and I was offering mine. A game with this many technical issues simply cannot be a masterpiece, in my opinion.

I never said anything of the sort. I guess I should've been more careful when offering my non-glowing opinion of the game in a thread that's already been proven to be hostile to those who have issues with it, though.

Don't worry. I was being facetious. Whether you like a game or not doesn't really concern, affect or matter in the slightest. People will enjoy games or they don't.

Oh please. You knew what you were saying. Your "6/10" is perfectly fine. The "Those calling this a masterpiece have a loose definition of the term" was unwarranted and purposely inflammatory. Hate the game, not the players, yo.

TheMoon

Just completed Chapter 2.

Now I gotta laugh for a while about how ridiculously similar to RE4 it is right now.

I'll spoiler tag the details:

So, not only did we start the game with a car ride that drops us right into the situation and on our way to where things are going to kick off, we then also get into a seemingly normal situation, lose track of our company and get overwhelmed by something utterly insane, no. We also meet the chainsaw man as our first HOLY SHIT obstacle in his dungeon of terror. While TEW goes for stealth and the "ESCAPE! RUN!" approach instead of "SHOOT! KILL THEM ALL, TRY TO HOLD ON!" the structure is very similar. Both games drop you right into the shit and you have to fumble your way out of it in a learning-by-doing sort of way. Both games overwhelm you with a terrifying situation. And while RE4 does it with the sheer amount of foes coming after you relentlessly, TEW strips you of all weapons and pits you against a single, horrific opponent chasing you down. Interestingly, both games allow you to fumble your way out of the situation however elegantly or clumsily you can or want to manage until you are eventually saved by some outside force or luck (the village bells ringing/the elevator door magically opening and closing at just the right moment).

The second chapter made me go "wow, Mikami is really not being coy about this is he?" with what is basically the introduction to Ganados 2.0 in a similar rural farm village at night setting where the villagers will chase you down with their torches and there are bear traps (!) and there are cliffs and oh look! some ridiculous castle-like structure with a gate that seems like the next destination! Hilariously there also was a boat. I'm curious how that will play out lol. What made me actually laugh out loud was the crank-controlled gate that you open by pushing (A) a lot. Because I didn't have enough flashbacks already! And do I need to mention the pyre with the bodies on spikes? Come on now! This has to be deliberate!

What's interesting, is the difference in power and specifically the lack of any of it that you experience as the player. I'm sneaking the whole time, trying to avoid being seen and trying to take them out silently as opposed to shooting everyone and running away. Oh and hey, you can burn corpses! I guess REmake left its mark, too. Haven't yet figured out if you're supposed to do it for the same reason, though. I really hope not because I DO NOT want to deal with Crimson Head-situations. Nu-uh! I hope it's just supposed to be a source for the green brain soup? At least that's what I got out of burning two bodies in front of the crank-gate.

Oh and also, holy shit this game is freaking me out. Lots of nope.gif situations already.

Oh please. You knew what you were saying. Your "6/10" is perfectly fine. The "Those calling this a masterpiece have a loose definition of the term" was unwarranted and purposely inflammatory. Hate the game, not the players, yo.

Saying that people who call this game a masterpiece have a different definition of that word than I do is inflammatory? It's an opinion, and negative ones are clearly not very welcome in this thread.

For those who have played the game with the black bar and FOV fix, would you say it alone is worth getting the game on PC? I've been going back and forth on whether I should get it on PC, or on PS4. The only real reason I'd want it on PS4 is to have more game to play on that system, and I prefer the controller. Another reason I used to cling to was I believe the port would run pretty bad on PC compared to PS4, but it sounds like both don't run great (its not a big problem for me, just sounds like those are the facts).

Overall, I'd prefer to buy on PS4 just for the general ease of use, but I was wondering if those who have tried the mods that increase the FOV or remove the black bars would say that the PS4 version is a deal breaker without those.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
So when I, early in the game, mess up and get attacked by two enemies and I don't have any ammo -- what am I supposed to do? If I start running away I risk running into other enemies, and beating them down doesn't seem to do the job very well.. Also, can you light them up with the torch or does it have to be matches?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
So when I, early in the game, mess up and get attacked by two enemies and I don't have any ammo -- what am I supposed to do? If I start running away I risk running into other enemies, and beating them down doesn't seem to do the job very well.. Also, can you light them up with the torch or does it have to be matches?

Yes if you melee attack them with a torch it will one hit kill them, but you only get to use it once. If you on Ch. 2 I would suggest sneaking through that part of the game. You can kill them quite easily via melee, just hit them and move back a bit to avoid their counter then rinse/repeat. It takes a while

Saying that people who call this game a masterpiece have a different definition of that word than I do is inflammatory? It's an opinion, and negative ones are clearly not very welcome in this thread.

Your masterpiece comment was slightly ignorant and unnecessary.

Your thoughts on the game were well articulated and good. Though you did insinuate anyone calling this game a masterpeice has issues in some form or another. That's what gets you the remarks. Id just leave out a comment like that that downplays others thoughts next time and your golden man.

TheMoon

Yes, the torch works! But I think it goes away after two uses. At least mine did.

edit: Referring to burning the body. Attacking a live one with a torch is a one-hit kill like Markitron said.

-MD-

You can kill them with a torch yes (one time use melee weapon), matches are for when enemies fall on the ground you can toss one down for a quick kill. Retreating is a good option a lot of the time too.

Which chapter are you on? You can always restart the chapter or drop the difficulty down.

For those who have played the game with the black bar and FOV fix, would you say it alone is worth getting the game on PC? I've been going back and forth on whether I should get it on PC, or on PS4. The only real reason I'd want it on PS4 is to have more game to play on that system, and I prefer the controller. Another reason I used to cling to was I believe the port would run pretty bad on PC compared to PS4, but it sounds like both don't run great (its not a big problem for me, just sounds like those are the facts).

Overall, I'd prefer to buy on PS4 just for the general ease of use, but I was wondering if those who have tried the mods that increase the FOV or remove the black bars would say that the PS4 version is a deal breaker without those.

PC is a no brainer, not only is it 30fps locked but like you said you have the option to adjust letterboxing/FOV. You can also use your dualshock 4 on the PC.

Yeah, thinking about it kind of demotivates me to try higher difficulties. I think I'll play it again, but I wished I could skip that one.

What part specifically? Just replayed that this morning and going into it again knowing whats ahead really makes it go pretty quick.

Gator86

Beat it today, played on Survival difficulty and clocked in at 15:32 with 69 deaths.

I think Chapter 3 might have been the best chapter overall. I really wish the entire game was just chapters like that. The gulf in quality between chapters 3 and 12, for example, is massive.

Elitist1945

Tips for defeating the
chainsaw guy
in Chapter 6? I don't have enough tools to make explosive bolts, and only have a few shotgun ammo.

TheMoon

Just wanna chime in about PC: I'm running this game on an i5 2500k with 4GB and a GT560 with no issues (playing on my TV at 1366 x 768). All I did was disable FXAA and things were fine. So you can pretty much ignore the official system requirements lol.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Tips for defeating the
chainsaw guy
in Chapter 6? I don't have enough tools to make explosive bolts, and only have a few shotgun ammo.

Make sure to detonate the barrel, even if you take damage he will take more. There should be some ammo to the left of the door that he emerges from (There was shotgun ammo and bolts there IIRC) you should have more than enough to kill him.

-MD-

Just wanna chime in about PC: I'm running this game in an i5 2500k with 4GB and a GT560 with no issues (playing on my TV at 1366 x 768). All I did was disable FXAA and things were fine. So you can pretty much ignore the official system requirements lol.

Yeah for sure, the requirements Bethesda quoted were total bullshit.

Lucent

FUUUUUUUUUUUCK that piece of shit
fish
in Chapter 11.

They're not hard to deal with. Here's how to do it:
When you see them, look at where the gate is that opens up and find a hanging body. Aim at the body and when you hear the gate beep again (so you know it's opening) shoot the body down and swim for the gate. The "fish" will completely ignore you for a good bit so you can make it past the gate. He won't go into the gate from my experience.
There's one another section like that with
two
of them and you
do the same thing, but shoot two bodies down.

I think Chapter 3 might have been the best chapter overall. I really wish the entire game was just chapters like that. The gulf in quality between chapters 3 and 12, for example, is massive.

I pretty much agree with this. I was SO excited after beating chapter 3 thinking THIS is how the game is gonna be. But then the more I played the more I realized the game would never return to that style of gameplay. Disappointing, yes, but the sheer variety on hand made me love the game for what it is, a VERY good modern action horror title.

Looking for some help in Chapter 9.

What exactly am I supposed to be doing in the Mansion? I'm exploring a bit, but keep getting one-shotted when the guy in the hood decides to spawn. Is he on a timer or something?

Searching the perimeter rooms for 2 safe dials and draining 3 brains to open the main door. He goes away after a period of time, so just run or hide under beds/in armoires. If he sees you enter a room he will find your hiding spot.

Okay this is just silly. I
can't seem to run past Ruvik... I even change directions only to see him teleport right in front of me and kill me in one shot. Worst part is when he spawns in the main area where there's no hiding place.

Grisby

I wish they would have had some more larger areas in the latter half of the game. Those chapters with the slight exploration aspect were pretty cool.

Although I did surprise myself by finding a hidden area with green gel.
I can't remeber the chapter (castle interior I believe) but it involves getting up on one of the spike traps that lowers to crush you. There was a gooddess statue up there and everything.

-MD-

can't seem to run past Ruvik... I even change directions only to see him teleport right in front of me and kill me in one shot. Worst part is when he spawns in the main area where there's no hiding place.

If you run too far away from him he'll warp in front of you.

That fight with that thing in the
incinerator
room, what a fucking joke. Just gave up, awful game design.

Chapter 5 or 10?

Ein Bear

Yeah, I'm finding this section to be really frustrating too. Ruvik's appearances seem to be completely random though, so I've just been brute-forcing my way through by grabbing an object, running back to the save room to save, then venturing out again. Sometimes I get lucky and he doesn't appear, other times I die about five seconds into a run... Have got half the stuff I need so far :/

mhs004

Is this a good place to start for someone who has never played a horror game before?

I get scared easy but want to try out the genre.

If you run too far away from him he'll warp in front of you.

Chapter 5 or 10?

You're joking, it happens twice!?

I get what I have to do, what I don't appreciate is being at the top of the ladder while the enemy is at the bottom for it to warp/glitch me off the ladder and be insta-killed on the ground. Enjoyed everything else in the game but that's just shoddy.

Lucent

That fight with that thing in the
incinerator
room, what a fucking joke. Just gave up, awful game design.

How is it awful? Is Sebastian supposed to tell you what to do? Actually, he
kinda does give you a hint before you fight her.
But really I guess I developed enough "game sense" from RE4 and other games to figure out what to do without much trouble.

I get what I have to do, what I don't appreciate is being at the top of the ladder while the enemy is at the bottom for it to warp/glitch me off the ladder and be insta-killed on the ground. Enjoyed everything else in the game but that's just shoddy.

Burn the
bodies at the bottom of the ladder
and you won't have to worry about
her doing that

-MD-

Not quite
twice but you understand how the enemy functions, right? She spawns from dead bodies, you burn the bodies you don't want her to spawn from.

Use explosive barrels to buy yourself some time to run to the switches on the wall, when you're there she should warp to the dead bodies laying on top of the incinerator grate above the flames and she'll fall in when you flip the switch.

Honestly shouldn't be too hard, took me maybe 4 tries.

aravuus

http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTaOHX8kEkD4WBQE6CRUPLaoqEPQh89A2

There's actually an Akumu no upgrade no key walkthrough up already. It's up to chapter 6, but in the first video the dude says he reached chapter 11.

This is actually insane

Is this a good place to start for someone who has never played a horror game before?

I get scared easy but want to try out the genre.

I was in the same boat and I'd say yes. I never really got into the survival horror genre cause I always hated how they played (tank controls etc), but I really, really liked TEW.

On top of that, TEW isn't exactly that scary or scary at all, more like suspenseful, and there are very few jump scares.

The game from the marketing materials and interviews i've seen was presented as a survival horror experience were stealth and making every shot count was needed in order to progress.

That's far from it... playing it normally the game has been very generous with ammunition and upgrade material. No much need for any type of stealth nor avoiding or runing from normal enemies. Just action run and shoot. The protagonist is way too powerful. It is the unofficial sequel to RE 4.

Visually astonishing game, no doubt my favorite visuals among any of this generation of games. Art design is superb.

Game is really fun, just not scary at all.

Finished the game early this morning. Played on Survivor difficulty and went the zero upgrade route, which was probably a mistake for a first playthrough as it made the game more difficult than it already would have been. Clear time 18:53, with 154 deaths (and many, many reloads).

Great level design, amazing artistic design, excellent pacing and enemy encounters, all brought down several notches by plentiful technical issues and glitches, along with some horrid design choices and an unsatisfying resolution. The dreadful visual combo of aspect ratio + FOV + godawful camera was an ever-present source of frustration which essentially ruined my enjoyment of the game. This was my most anticipated title of the year, and overall I'd have to say it was a disappointment. I'd give it a 6/10, those calling this a masterpiece have a very loose definition of the term.

My opinion is pretty much the same, although i would actually be inclined to call this a masterpiece if the fov and camera were fixed, which i'm guessing is possible for those playing on a pc. So much amazing potential which for me was wasted due to the horrendous camera and poor fov, i'm still praying for a resident evil 6 style fix but it's not looking hopeful given that so many people don't see any of the problems i noticed.
It's been such a long time since i've played a game with such amazing artwork in this style, yet such a shame that the fov and camera didn't so it justice.

How is it awful? Is Sebastian supposed to tell you what to do? Actually, he
kinda does give you a hint before you fight her.
But really I guess I developed enough "game sense" from RE4 and other games to figure out what to do without much trouble.

I said I know what I have to do, it's the awful glitchy mess of having my character suddenly warp to an enemy when I'm no where near it to then be one hitted and die then do it all over again. The game is far too clunky for the precision is sometimes requires.

Top Bottom