• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Lucent

Yeah, I regret posting that shit. He's way too annoying, and plays it very boring. Plus he's doing the 360 version which looks like crap.

I guess he's talking over videos he recorded. Cuz I would not be able to talk this freaking much while playing this. Especially on Akumu.

I enjoyed Chapter 11.
Water monsters were pretty straightforward. Just need to find the bodies and shoot them down.
It's mainly a combat focused chapter, but the game needed a low tension level like this one where you're just kicking ass and burning bodies.

Only part I didn't like was the construction tram thing. I didn't like it in RE4 or Dead Space 1 and I don't like it here. Any time you're in a small cart thing and being taken through a gauntlet of surrounding enemies is the worst.

Zampano

Just finished. Loved it. Not entirely sure what happened though. Only bad chapter for me was 6 due to framerate. Don't get the 11 hate.

Edit: Clear time on survival: 15:41 with 72 deaths.

Story wise
when you get knocked out in chapter 1 you get plugged into the machine, right? What's Leslie's role? Is he the one that broke the machine? Was Ruvik real? So lost.

-MD-

Can't remember, but I know chapter 8 is pretty short. Is it the chapter with a bunch of
invisible enemies?
If so, it's extremely easy. On a second replay of course. ;p

That's chapter 5 iirc. Chapter 8 is the one after
The Keeper chapter where you're in dark ass caves for 25 minutes.

I liked chapter 8 though.

antitrop

In chapter 9 ghost douche spawned right on top of me for an instakill. Terrible game design is a prominent feature of TEW.

He never killed me once. If he teleports, you're doing something wrong,
since you can leash him off at certain distance to where he won't teleport. Main Hall is the safest, because you can just run around in circles on the stairways. In any case, I've never seen him spawn in the same room as you, he always bursts through the doors first

nilbog21

Banned
Just finished chapter 5.. Loving this game. I thought the invisible enemies were bugged at first lol... also it says you should be able to see their foot steps when they walk in blood or whatever but I definitely don't see anything..

am i the only one who loves to box zombies ? i spend a lot of time kiting the zombies and studying their moves and beating the shit out of them with my fist...even if it takes me hours. so much fun, such a high quality game

Lucent

Just finished chapter 5.. Loving this game. I thought the invisible enemies were bugged at first lol... also it says you should be able to see their foot steps when they walk in blood or whatever but I definitely don't see anything..

You should be able to see little
splashes in the blood
. They don't actually leave
bloody footprints, unfortunately.
That'd be really cool.

antitrop

Not blood, but puddles of water. I think that's a loading screen tip, even.

Not quite
twice but you understand how the enemy functions, right? She spawns from dead bodies, you burn the bodies you don't want her to spawn from.

Use explosive barrels to buy yourself some time to run to the switches on the wall, when you're there she should warp to the dead bodies laying on top of the incinerator grate above the flames and she'll fall in when you flip the switch.

Honestly shouldn't be too hard, took me maybe 4 tries.

I beat her on my second try and I didn't even use the incinerator.

While the game isn't too easy it's not that hard either (still in chapter 6 though).

am i the only one who loves to box zombies ? i spend a lot of time kiting the zombies and studying their moves and beating the shit out of them with my fist...even if it takes me hours. so much fun, such a high quality game

Hey, you're playing on PC, right? I saw your post on the PC performance thread, and I was wondering if you've tried using the "flawless widescreen mod", and if so, how much of a performance hit it was on your AMD 6950. That's what's in my PC along with an i5 2500k, and I was just wondering if you could share some more performance information. Thanks.

(My post on the performance thread asking this question.)

Sanctuary

Not quite
twice but you understand how the enemy functions, right? She spawns from dead bodies, you burn the bodies you don't want her to spawn from.

Use explosive barrels to buy yourself some time to run to the switches on the wall, when you're there she should warp to the dead bodies laying on top of the incinerator grate above the flames and she'll fall in when you flip the switch.

Honestly shouldn't be too hard, took me maybe 4 tries.

I actually did that the first try and accidentally. Thing is, after I had finished that
encounter, I thought you were supposed to have her die inside the incinerator because that's where she died for me. On my next playthrough though she wouldn't die from them, so I just outright killed her. I think it's just a matter of her taking fire damage period, and the corpses count towards that. The incinderators just do the most per shot.

nilbog21

Banned
Hey, you're playing on PC, right? I saw your post on the PC performance thread, and I was wondering if you've tried using the "flawless widescreen mod", and if so, how much of a performance hit it was on your AMD 6950. That's what's in my PC along with an i5 2500k, and I was just wondering if you could share some more performance information. Thanks.

(My post on the performance thread asking this question.

I have not tried the flawless mod. I respect authorial intention - I do not think the black bars were put in to cover up bad coding

I have heard many people who have tried the fix and went back to the black bars because clearly the game was meant to be played this way.

Dresden

Ch9 teleporting stuff is basically a concession they made to allow varying degrees of investment in sprint upgrades. The pursuer can't be too fast, because some players are going to homer simpson it and gasp out after three steps. But players with a decent investment in it is going to outrun and completely trivialize it. If sprint was just a base amount with no variation between players, it could be tuned so that the player is running for his life, rather than playing keep away around a staircase.

So
Ruvik
teleports when you're too far away; which would be fine, except that players then figure out the range with which he can be leashed, thus neutering the tension from the encounter completely. I dunno, it's just poorly implemented in the end.

Chapter 11 felt like it was pulled straight from Chris's campaign in Resident Evil 6.

I never played RE6, but I said it felt like the RE5 level to me.

Yeah, RE5 came to mind.

And the last level of Mass Effect 3.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Except there was some genuine push and pull to chapter eleven. It wasn't all "you have ammo, shoot it".

Did anyone else manage to do a neckbreaker as a stealth kill?

I managed to do it once in chapter 11 to an enemy that wore a
construction hat
. I actually died and went back to the checkpoint. The same enemy spawned, but this time it was a different model. I did a stealth kill again, but I got the same knife to the head animation.

I told my friend about it, but he says that he never saw it, and he already beat the game at that point.

I have no idea what triggered it, it's been already two days since I saw it and it didn't occur to me to use the share button at the time.

I have not tried the flawless mod. I respect authorial intention - I do not think the black bars were put in to cover up bad coding

I have heard many people who have tried the fix and went back to the black bars because clearly the game was meant to be played this way.

All right, I respect that. Has the game remained at a smooth fps thus far? I'm not super attached to the black bar "fix", but I'd still like to know whether it has managed to run well unmodded so far.

Dresden

construction hat
. I actually died and went back to the checkpoint. The same enemy spawned, but this time it was a different model. I did a stealth kill again, but I got the same knife to the head animation.

Yeah, same chapter, same enemy. Never happened again.

Yuterald

I'm still on my first playthrough of the game, but I maxed out my Strength/Melee skill early on because I'd figured there would be some hidden benefit at max level. Can't tell if there is or not (other than maybe a consistent chance to stagger most normal sized enemies), but I have gotten "head shots" with my fists on a few occasions, ha! I think the enemies were weak at the time though. Regardless, you can definitely punch enemies heads off! I definitely use melee when fighting those stupid
invisible
enemies too. Punch + a pistol shot to the head does the trick.

Lucent

construction hat

I told my friend about it, but he says that he never saw it, and he already beat the game at that point.

I have no idea what triggered it, it's been already two days since I saw it and it didn't occur to me to use the share button at the time.

Never did that. But I would guess it's because you couldn't stab him through the
construction hat
?

EDIT: Nvm I guess you got it. lol

Corpsepyre

Banned
I'm very happy with the story development in Chapter 9.

I'm halfway through 10 now and the story is starting to come together better than I expected it to.

Explain to me what you've inferred.

Is the game
Taking place in Ruvik/Ruben's head, and the creatures a figment of his imagination OR are his fears/sins
?

hew9753

Some thoughts on Chapter 9...
I was just coming in to bitch about ghost Ruvik and his insta-kills when i read the recent discussion on it, so apparently I'm an idiot for not figuring out the trick to staying just close enough...haha. My dumb-ass was running back to the save room constantly to keep my progress in case he showed up.

Some real high/low points in this chapter. The Ruvik encounters were my own fault but I also wasn't a fan of the trial and error of getting through the gate room before the baby doll heads. Otherwise, the mansion setting was a nice callback to RE and the story is starting to fall into place.

Looking forward to the much-maligned Chapter 11 to see what all the fuss is about.

HeelPower

Ch9 teleporting stuff is basically a concession they made to allow varying degrees of investment in sprint upgrades.

To anyone starting up the game or with an abundance of green gel.

Please
invest in the sprint ability.This is not a spoiler.

Movement is important all through the game.

antitrop

Explain to me what you've inferred.

Is the game
Taking place in Ruvik/Ruben's head, and the creatures a figment of his imagination OR are his fears/sins
?

I think the creatures and environments are the manifestation of Ruvik's revenge. Like a sort of mental purgatory. I can't understand yet how this all ties to Sebastian, though. That's the link that hasn't connected, yet.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
seriously.

Imo sprint is crucial.

I just started chapter 8 and I think I have upgraded it 3 times, am I good to go or should I try and max it? I have only upgraded my harpoon bolt so I need to give the shotgun some love

Corpsepyre

Banned
I think the creatures and environments are the manifestation of Ruvik's revenge. I can't understand yet how this all ties to Sebastian, though. That's the link that hasn't connected, yet.

Hmm, what I can't quite understand is the opening chapter.

Is Ruvik
a real person or was the opening chapter a part of the 'simulation' as well?
Could you even call it that?

I just started chapter 8 and I think I have upgraded it 3 times, am I good to go or should I try and max it? I have only upgraded my harpoon bolt so I need to give the shotgun some love

Level 4 sprint is more than fine for the entire game. Never bothered with 5, seems like a waste of green gel.

-MD-

I only upgraded it twice (rank 3) and I've never run out so you should be fine.

It really isn't except for one specific chapter. It's helpful for the entire game sure, but nowhere near necessary.

Agreed.

Sanctuary

To anyone starting up the game or with an abundance of green gel.

Please
invest in the sprint ability.This is not a spoiler.

Movement is important all through the game.

It really isn't except for one specific chapter. It's helpful for the entire game sure, but nowhere near necessary. I'd argue that it gets slightly more useful as the difficulty raises, due to
enemies also increasing in speed.

Dunno if this has been posted before, but dat texture, lol:
10649106_10152824420052269_4972827660594617542_o.jpg

-MD-

Dunno if this has been posted before, but dat texture, lol:

Someone took a screenshot of that exact spot a few days ago lol.

There's a lot in this game that reminds me of RE6. I wouldn't be surprised if Mikami had played and enjoyed it.

RE6 was unplayable to me it was so bad, I haven't seen anything in this game that even remotely reminded me of that mess of a game.

Just finished nightmare mode on my second play through. Thought I'd give some impressions on what's different from survival.

Fake Ruvik is added in some areas in the beginning and middle of the game, but other than some bigger groups of haunted there's not much different. There was one section in the mannequin factory in chapter 11. They added some of those spinning floor razor discs, and I want to say they gave the guys in the gas area dynamite. I'm not sure if they had dynamite in survivor but if they spot you it's game over. There was also a group of enemies added in that room after you use the key card to unlock a container to get out.

You do get brass knuckles for beating nightmare as well though.

Sanctuary

Just finished nightmare mode on my second play through. Thought I'd give some impressions on what's different from survival.

Fake Ruvik is added in some areas in the beginning and middle of the game, but other than some bigger groups of haunted there's not much different. There was one section in the mannequin factory in chapter 11. They added some of those spinning floor razor discs, and I want to say they gave the guys in the gas area dynamite. I'm not sure if they had dynamite in survivor but if they spot you it's game over. There was also a group of enemies added in that room after you use the key card to unlock a container to get out.

Someone said that was Akumu, but it's probably just because he beat Akumu and it counts towards all difficulties below it as well. One thing I've noticed about Akumu (which I'm assuming is just Nightmare + one hit kills) that is super janky is that
enemy speed was increased overall. That's fine, but they took the lazy way out with this, and you can tell when enemies will scan the area with their head. They just turn their head left to right at warp speed too and it looks ridiculous.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Level 4 sprint is more than fine for the entire game. Never bothered with 5, seems like a waste of green gel.

I only upgraded it twice (rank 3) and I've never run out so you should be fine.

Thanks. On Ch. 8 and I have to say,
having just beat the boxhead boss
, the game is pretty intense.
That boss really reminded me of the encounter in the cage hanging over the cliff in Resi 4
. I keep playing it in small sections to give myself breaks. I wouldn't mind a few mellow chapters right about now.

There's a lot in this game that reminds me of RE6. I wouldn't be surprised if Mikami had played and enjoyed it.

I'm only halfway thru but so far I'm finding nothing reminiscent of that 'game'. It would really bother me if I did aswell as RE6 is one of the worst things to ever happen to humanity; right up there with the black death, the dark ages and Coldplay.

tesqui

Oh awesome! I think I'll just give up on akumu for now and play nightmare, since you still get the
Brass Knuckles

Just finished chapter 7. That last section was tense.

This game is a bit frustrating. You can see the genius that created RE4 in it, but it just lacks the polish. The same sense of progression. The perfect pacing. It feels "AA" rather than "AAA".

I find the whole psychological aspect to be a little boring, to be honest. Chapter 3 was so good, and remains to be the best part of the game thus far, because it was you and a bunch of freaky dudes in a creepy village. Same recipe as RE4, yes, but clearly it still works.

It's taken me 6 hours to get to chapter 8 and I know there's 15 chapters so I'm a bit worried I'll get burnt out on it before the end. Hopefully it will stay fresh but we'll have to see I guess.

Top Bottom