• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Has anyone figured out what exactly causes a foot stomp melee attack instead of a swing? It's gotten me killed a few times when I was ready to torch melee someone and he does the foot stomp instead, leaving me open to attack. It doesn't seem to be based simply on if there is a downed enemy nearby, if I could figure it out it would help a lot.

Has anyone figured out what exactly causes a foot stomp melee attack instead of a swing? It's gotten me killed a few times when I was ready to torch melee someone and he does the foot stomp instead, leaving me open to attack. It doesn't seem to be based simply on if there is a downed enemy nearby, if I could figure it out it would help a lot.

This killed me so much on the
chapter 5 boss
. I press R1 when nobody is around, he does the torch swing. Press R1 when boss is nearby, does kick for some reason, instant kill, start all over. Same thing with the triangle, instant kill, start all over.

Annoying. I had to resort to just L1 + R1 to make it consistent

antitrop

Just finished.

21 hours. 99 deaths.

Easy GOTY. Def be in the top 5.

Love those post game rewards!

Nice. I bought a Wii U for Bayonetta 2 next week, dude! You getting it? We'll do that co-op or whatever the fuck. Then I have to get Wonderful 101 and Tropical Freeze.

My brother is in between jobs, so I'll probably pick up Mario Kart 8 to play with him, as well.

If you want to guarantee a swing, hold the aim button then press the melee button. Sebastian will always go for a stomp/kick if there's a dead body under him.

This is actually a loading screen hint.

-MD-

I had plenty of experiences where the character would just downright refuse to climb over a window, climb on a ladder or go down one. the character itself does not do something as simple as climbing stairs, or activating a trap on the get-go.

I haven't experienced a single instance of any of that in my playthrough.

There are two melee buttons, R2/RT and Triangle/Y. I think R2 will make you swing the torch while Triangle will make you stomp when a downed enemy is next to you. Not sure though. I haven't carefully paid attention to what exactly does what.

If you want to guarantee a swing, hold the aim button then press the melee button. Sebastian will always go for a stomp/kick if there's a dead body under him.

Boom. There we have it.

antitrop

Shadows of the Damned is not Mikami's game, why do people keep thinking it is? It doesn't feel nor play like one, that's evident in RE4, Vanquish and TEW.

Mikami was creative producer on Shadows of the Damned, I think if he did anything, he phoned it in. Shadows of the Damned has more Suda51 influence than Mikami.

I know Mikami was Creative Producer, not Director, I didn't mean to imply I didn't. I just wasn't sure exactly what the hell a "Creative Producer" is.

Is that like what George Lucas had to do with Raiders of the Lost Ark, or something?

Andrew.

Banned
Nice. I bought a Wii U for Bayonetta 2 next week, dude! You getting it? We'll do that co-op or whatever the fuck. Then I have to get Wonderful 101 and Tropical Freeze.

My brother is in between jobs, so I'll probably pick up Mario Kart 8 to play with him, as well.

Woah, you really bought one? Hell yeah I'm getting it. I'm down for bro op for sure.

You chose....wisely.

I know Mikami was Creative Producer, not Director, I didn't mean to imply I didn't. I just wasn't sure exactly what the hell a "Creative Producer" is.

Is that like what George Lucas had to do with Raiders of the Lost Ark, or something?
They'll help with script issues or gameplay issues that the director runs into. I'm guessing in this case it probably was more "Hey Mikami, when you had XX in a area how did you control the flow of the character to go to XX, but also making sure they see YY before getting there". In my experience Creative Producers are generally called/flown in to help with influencing the direction certain main focuses based on THEIR previous experience developing similar titles/movies/books etc.

Wow, Chapter 11 wasn't the environmental change I was expecting. I suppose its refreshing in a way, after that back to back Chapter 10 craziness. Can admire the level a bit... hopefully.

Wow, Chapter 11 wasn't the environmental change I was expecting. I suppose its refreshing in a way, after that back to back Chapter 10 craziness. Can admire the level a bit... hopefully.

You know when I started playing the game I was really under the impression that it was going to take place in a single large forest/asylum. I kind of wish it had because I liked those areas the best, but I can appreciate the variety at least.

Thanks guys, I hadn't thought to use regular attack/fire buttons to ensure a swing, but that helps a ton.

This killed me so much on the
chapter 5 boss
. I press R1 when nobody is around, he does the torch swing. Press R1 when boss is nearby, does kick for some reason, instant kill, start all over. Same thing with the triangle, instant kill, start all over.

Annoying. I had to resort to just L1 + R1 to make it consistent

Yep this was the exact fight I had the most issues with this with, on Nightmare where it really helps to use the torches.

Gurish

The thing about that enemy type is it was publicly shown constantly in publisher-backed official videos. What constitutes as a spoiler for someone will be wildly different as someone may have intentionally gone on a blackout while some other guy only watches every official trailer and talks about things shown in it.

I agree that a lot of stuff should be spoilered, but expecting 100% of the people that post about how much they liked a chapter with a post like "chapter 10 was
cool
" or something that feels like a minor thing to someone isn't really gonna happen, since most people wouldn't even have it in the back of their mind that it's a spoiler at all. But, it is true that seeing a constant flow of people thinking certain chapters are great will set an expectation if you're not there yet, but that's just a natural part of a discussion forum where a lot of people contributing to a topic and some move through a game much faster than others. It's also a no-win scenario at times, like the Tales of Xillia 2 thread had some people actually complaining that the entire thread page by page was basically loaded with black bars and that people should move to the spoiler thread, but the discussion was about something mid-late game and obviously you can't just randomly go into a thread that's open season mostly focused on endings and try to discuss something while trying to dodge endgame spoilers

Something that seems more obvious as a blanket obvious example would be not to post an embedded image of the actual post results screen since the game visually shows bosses/monsters since I saw that happen and probably have a good idea on what the final boss looks like based on it. Or people that just post an entire post coated in black so you start to unravel it at the start to see if there's context and it's just randomly talking about some final level shit out of nowhere.

I don't really have much problems with general impression even if it includes episodes, i don't think it's any problem if someone say "Chapter X was awesome", only think you should spoiler tag anything specific.

About trailers and such, you are right, some people already know shit ton of stuff and for them most things wont be consider a spoiler even before they started the game, but we need to be thoughtful toward others who don't want to know anything specific about future episodes/enemies/weapons/bosses and other info they have yet discovered.

Btw, sometimes you watch lots of media about a game but when you play it, it's all kinda blurred and you don't remember anything specific and you are still mostly surprise, but when someone suddenly writes
fighting alongside Joseph was a awesome!
you suddenly remembers it for good although you might have seen it in a trailer for 2 seconds couple of weeks before, that's why you don't think too much, just tag it with spoiler if it's anything specific.

I don't even have a problem if I'm in the minority here and most people don't find boss locations to be spoiler-y, but there needs to be some known rules cause things here got out of hand (I'm sure most people will agree that Gifs with new enemies are considered a spoiler, and yet people still post them without problems), if the rules are accepted by most but are not strict enough for some, they can get out of the thread, but there needs to be rules.

haikira

I feel like we need to discuss something very important guys. How fucking awesome are the transitions in this game?

Was just flicking over my saved clips, and it reminded me just how much I love walking through the game, when the game transitions to another location. They're very seamless. I also loved the start of the ninth chapter, when
Sebastian is tripping out after seeing Ruvik in the picture, and it's just scrolling through different locations and versions of the hospital.

Sanctuary

I can't say I've ever stood next to a dead body waiting for enemies to approach, so that I can accidentally stomp a corpse. Seems pretty random, but there are other contextual issues too like trying to pull yourself up on to a ledge, but there's an item that can be picked up. He will prioritize picking up the item over climbing when enemies are right behind.

I feel like we need to discuss something very important guys. How fucking awesome are the transitions in this game?

Was just flicking over my saved clips, and it reminded me just how much I love walking through the game, when the game transitions to another location. They're very seamless. I also loved the start of the ninth chapter, when
Sebastian is tripping out after seeing Ruvik in the picture, and it's just scrolling through different locations and versions of the hospital.

The best thing about the transitions and level deformations is that they're all in real time. I was extremely impressed how they all went by without a hitch. Very cool stuff.

I'm not sure if I follow what you mean by unresponsive. In general if I performed an action next to the appropriate context sensitive place, it would go through just fine. I press X at a window (assuming it's open) and he climbs through, X in front of a ladder and he climbs up it.

Meaning that I have to perfectly position myself in front of said ladder and window for the character to initiate the climb. It is a cumbersome mechanic that seems to be heavily build on adding that extra tension by not being able to quickly escape from a chainsaw chasing lunatic.

You know when I started playing the game I was really under the impression that it was going to take place in a single large forest/asylum. I kind of wish it had because I liked those areas the best, but I can appreciate the variety at least.

Honestly, I very much went into the game blind thinking stealth was a huge focus and it was all going to be forest/asylum stuff. But to be quite honest, I'm really enjoying the level variety so far and my revolver is doing god's work. The game has gotten more and more like RE4 I feel as it's progressed and I am absolutely okay with that.

Not very scary, but extremely atmospheric and creepy. Which is great because I don't think I could do this and Alien Isolation at the same time otherwise.

Dereck

I'm fighting
RE-Bone Laura, and I'm at the first checkpoint, after I died about 5-7 times, on my 8th try, I can see Laura crawling the wall and trying to come get me, I shoot the three golden rods and jump down to the lower area. This time, Laura is nowhere to found, did she glitch into non-existence? Whatever the case it helped me complete the boss.

Sanctuary

Anyone know how collectibles work on New Game+?

You keep those from your previous game. When you want to collect those you've missed, you need to select that chapter and completely clear it, or items you picked up along the way (during that chapter) will be lost if you decide to jump to a different chapter. Lockers you've previously unlocked stay unlocked. NG+ really is just there to let you go back and finish finding all the collectibles you missed. You need to select the autosave or whatever save happened after you finished the game when starting NG+ and then select which chapter you want to go to.

If you want to jump around in chapters and keep items, you basically have to clear a chapter. Save the game. Pick that save to jump to another chapter.

kubus

Very late game spoilers, only click if you've beaten the game:

Currently in Chapter 15, just beat the boxhead tag battle and got through the traps "maze" with the spotlights and such. How much longer until the end?

Asking because it's around usual dinner time here and not sure if I can wrap this up before making dinner or if I should quit now, eat, and then finish the game :p.

Currently in Chapter 15, just beat the boxhead tag battle and got through the traps "maze" with the spotlights and such. How much longer until the end?

Asking because it's around usual dinner time here and not sure if I can wrap this up before making dinner or if I should quit now, eat, and then finish the game :p.

Going to say 20-30 minutes. A lot of it cutscenes.

aravuus

Eat first

Nightmare mode is so awesome! New changes to the gaming environment. Loads more enemies, less bullets. Enemies are far more agressive, they just charge at you, even when on fire. The randomness of the placement works really well too, one time I was exploring an optional house that had 2 enemies in it, after I died and went back the front door burst open and four guys came rushing at me, totally freaked me out.

This is how you do hard mode!!

Sanctuary

Fuck akumu.

FUCK IT.

Chapter 6 is a living nightmare.

Flash bolts are your friend.
If you're talking about the window/basement area.
But I guess it might not be as effective if you didn't upgrade them ahead of time, knowing that area would be a pain to deal with.

Nightmare mode is so awesome! New changes to the gaming environment. Loads more enemies, less bullets. Enemies are far more agressive, they just charge at you, even when on fire. The randomness of the placement works really well too, one time I was exploring an optional house that had 2 enemies in it, after I died and went back the front door burst open and four guys came rushing at me, totally freaked me out.

So random enemy placement made it in after all?

I thought that it might have been a demo exclusive thing since I played the entire full game on Survival and the enemy placement was completely static. Good to hear.

-MD-

Damn, I'm excited to start my 2nd playthrough after I wrap up these last few chapters.

Hard mode is what I originally wanted to start on, that all sounds great.

Nuke Soda

Beat the game about 20 minutes ago.

For me a good survival/horror experience is a mix of frustration and fun. Frustration when the odds seem unfair. Fun when you start to get the odds over on your side. The Evil Within to me was way more frustration than fun. Don't get me wrong there were some really fun moments, but they were rare for me. I honestly hope this game gets a sequel, a way more focused and refined sequel.
6/10 There were moments where I almost loved the game, but then the frustration came back with a vengeance.

I just started chapter 6 in less than 6 hours. So good.

I died a few times but it doesn't seem too hard at the moment. Will things change later?

Ein Bear

Looking for some help in Chapter 9.

What exactly am I supposed to be doing in the Mansion? I'm exploring a bit, but keep getting one-shotted when the guy in the hood decides to spawn. Is he on a timer or something?

DSmalls84

Looking for some help in Chapter 9.

What exactly am I supposed to be doing in the Mansion? I'm exploring a bit, but keep getting one-shotted when the guy in the hood decides to spawn. Is he on a timer or something?

Searching the perimeter rooms for 2 safe dials and draining 3 brains to open the main door. He goes away after a period of time, so just run or hide under beds/in armoires. If he sees you enter a room he will find your hiding spot.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I haven't had no issues with this and after chapter 9 Wow this was gonna be my GOTY and after hearing that chapter 10 was even better I was excited to see for myself.
So started it off, thinking this is a bit Silent Hillish again, saw the carousel blade which was nice, "it gonna get better" I thought.
Went down the ladder and then restored power and activated the traps
Wtf-is-this-shit.jpg

Not impressed.

Finished the game early this morning. Played on Survivor difficulty and went the zero upgrade route, which was probably a mistake for a first playthrough as it made the game more difficult than it already would have been. Clear time 18:53, with 154 deaths (and many, many reloads).

Great level design, amazing artistic design, excellent pacing and enemy encounters, all brought down several notches by plentiful technical issues and glitches, along with some horrid design choices and an unsatisfying resolution. The dreadful visual combo of aspect ratio + FOV + godawful camera was an ever-present source of frustration which essentially ruined my enjoyment of the game. This was my most anticipated title of the year, and overall I'd have to say it was a disappointment. I'd give it a 6/10, those calling this a masterpiece have a very loose definition of the term.

Top Bottom