• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Doombear

Finished the game last night. Clocked 20 hours and 42 minutes. I died 72 times. Some were intentional (trying to get through an area, wasted too much ammunition, so I just died). Some where simply down to zigging when I should have zagged on a boss. Most were fair though. All in all, I loved the game. The story is out there, but the pacing was perfection.

-MD-

haha ouch! I know of 3 streamers that haven't enjoyed this, and the 4th (Dansgaming) played it but seemed really so-so about it. So yeah, I don't think it's the ideal streamer game. There seems to be plenty of youtube videos for it though, so who knows.

I'm up to Chapter 6 now and I'm sort of playing it just to finish it, otherwise I'll feel like I've wasted £40.

I don't see why this would be a bad stream game, it has so much going on it would give the chat loads to talk about.

If I had any sort of audience or the upload to actually do it I would've loved to stream a game like this. I cannot imagine watching another second of an incompetent player like Angry Joe though that takes 4+ hours to clear a single chapter on normal, that's just ridiculous.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I streamed this and thought it was a fine stream game, even contained a pretty consistant viewer count through the whole thing, even my Akumu playthrough streaming.

Then again, I stream old horror games all the time and streamed RE4 right before Evil Within came out.

Lucent

Got 2 shots left in the Magnum sadly...

What I did:

At the start, I shot one with a couple of harpoons (lvl 4) and the other with a sniper rifle a couple of times. Then I lured them through the gate to the other room and climbed through the other entrance in the room that had a box of sniper ammo that leads to a tight corridor that goes back to the room they were in. I flipped the switch so they couldn't come in through the center door and had no choice but to funnel themselves into the tight corridor. I hit one with a freeze arrow and the other one got stuck behind them. I threw 4 grenades at both of them before they could move and they both died at the same time.

Was hilarious because my first few attempts I fought for awhile and died. Then I got lucky with that attempt and killed them in like 30 seconds. lol

Dereck

These
endless dynamite/machinegun zombies are nearly unbearable, I don't have enough ammo/matches for this bullshit.

Grisby

The soundtrack is up on Itunes btw. I didn't think it was that impressive of a score outside of Clare del lune and the title/credit theme by Gary Numan.

Which for some reason isn't included in the release. :(

Javier23

Banned
Yea that's the one. Thanks!

I'm really looking forward to Alien, but from what I hear it sounds quite similar to that section.
The concept is indeed similar, but
in TEW the execution is so poor. Those random Ruvik appearances ruined the whole chapter for me to the point in which I didn't start the game for a few days after a few rather unfair 1HKs I just couldn't run away from. The checkpoint placement is also rather poor if you ask me.

But, I loved Alien. Really. So feel free to keep looking forward to it.

Andrew.

Banned
On my second playthrough, and for some reason I enjoy the game much more.

Some fine wine here.

NG+ is EXTREMELY enjoyable. It feels like the booger goo seems more plentiful and fully upgraded weapons feel so good. Max upgraded pistol with a 50% chance to critical on that domepiece? Um, hell yes please.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
haha ouch! I know of 3 streamers that haven't enjoyed this, and the 4th (Dansgaming) played it but seemed really so-so about it. So yeah, I don't think it's the ideal streamer game. There seems to be plenty of youtube videos for it though, so who knows.

I'm up to Chapter 6 now and I'm sort of playing it just to finish it, otherwise I'll feel like I've wasted £40.

i still love the game. but yeah, i wouldnt stream it.

Verger

Banned
Is it me or is the level design/art direction freaking amazing in this game. Especially the outdoor environments.

From forests to worn torn villages, to ruined buildings along a cliff... The way every tree, blades of grass or structure is placed, It looks so natural but at the same time it feels like I'm looking at a painting when I see a building in the forest I have to explore, but behind that, across the sea, I can seeing a lighthouse off into the dark horizon.

The levels also do a good job of showing you where you need or should go without really telling you.

It really looks like RE4 Next Gen! And the funny thing is this is a cross gen game so I can only imagine what they could have done with devoting all resources to a single console.

Maybe Mikami can finally get some grass physics in his games. :p
I want to also second this compliment to the game. The Art direction and design is truly first class. Not to mention I love how diverse the environment settings are. Sure they all have similar themes and the art style is consistent throughout, but I never felt like I was going through obvious reused duplicates of areas.

I definitely am enjoying this game and love the journey through this nightmare world. I also love the "progression" through the stages. I'm only on Chapter 9 now, but so far it's been stellar.

Chapter 8 is probably the only chapter that I felt was underwhelming.
It was quite short in comparison to all before it except for maybe 1, and it actually felt unfinished to me. I didn't really understand where this setting fits in the psyche, where as all other chapter/stages had some "meaning" to them.

I especially loved after Chapter 5
having spent so long trapped in the dark Hospital, you emerge into the light of Chapter 6 and are greeted with a gorgeous vista of your destination. But of course even though its light, you're still in danger. I also loved how the level was symbolized in those photographs in the "Hub"

Is chapter 4 awfully short or did I just somehow run through it? Also
I didn't realize I had to shut the door to stop the Spider Lady thing, I kept shooting at her and running around until she killed me and then when it restarted she was locked out.

Just saw that on Giantbomb's quicklook, the video ends a little into Chapter 5 if you're interested.

Akibared

NG+ is EXTREMELY enjoyable. It feels like the booger goo seems more plentiful and fully upgraded weapons feel so good. Max upgraded pistol with a 50% chance to critical on that domepiece? Um, hell yes please.

I'm going to be starting NG+ up soon that sounds amazing!

Mupod

On my second playthrough, and for some reason I enjoy the game much more.

Some fine wine here.

In particular I really want to go back and replay the chapter 3 fight with more knowledge of the game. I mostly bungled my way through that chapter but now I bet I could really have fun with it.

Kinda like RE4's village fight, which I did about as wrongly as possible when I first played that game. Missed the shotgun, died a hundred times to Salvador trying to beat him with a pistol (I actually managed it), etc.

I streamed this and thought it was a fine stream game, even contained a pretty consistant viewer count through the whole thing, even my Akumu playthrough streaming.

Then again, I stream old horror games all the time and streamed RE4 right before Evil Within came out.

I've always wanted to get into streaming but had horrifically bad upload, I have godlike internet now but it feels like everyone's doing the streaming thing.

On that subject, RE4 is the first game I ever watched on a stream and it was awesome. I still think it's the best stream game ever, followed by god hand.

Max melee with
brass knuckles
is so OP, Seb is busting heads like water balloons. It really makes the frame rate drop though :/

Just need 3 more map fragments and 2 more keys :)

Andrew.

Banned
In particular I really want to go back and replay the chapter 3 fight with more knowledge of the game. I mostly bungled my way through that chapter but now I bet I could really have fun with it.

Scored the "Knife beats Chainsaw" trophy yesterday and it was really fun experimenting around to see what weapons would lower his health enough to stab him in the back after a flash bolt.

Eventually I just used the
magnum
(one shot!) and then four flash bolts with a stab after each time.

Gbraga

All this game is missing is some unlockable outfits and a Mercenaries mode. Otherwise, I'm really loving it.

Still didn't even start chapter 6, but I have to say that this will most likely be my game of the year. It just feels so right. They nailed the tense atmosphere. It's not actually scary at all, but there's always this feeling of unease when exploring. Nothing is happening, but it still feels like too much.

Can't wait to get to NG+, please tell me I won't have to pick up the weapons again and I can just kill people with my shotgun on chapter 2.

I don't really agree with early comments about how little ammo there is, though, seems like people are just wasting resources without thinking. It's definitely no RE6, where you have to drop shit because you have too much and can't pick up herbs, but it's not even close to The Last of Us on Grounded either. I'd say it's more like The Last of Us on Hard, when it comes to the amount of supplies.

Facism

if it helps CEX is giving £32 cash for trade in so you could only be wasting £8.

Lucent

All this game is missing is some unlockable outfits and a Mercenaries mode. Otherwise, I'm really loving it.

Still didn't even start chapter 6, but I have to say that this will most likely be my game of the year. It just feels so right. They nailed the tense atmosphere. It's not actually scary at all, but there's always this feeling of unease when exploring. Nothing is happening, but it still feels like too much.

Can't wait to get to NG+, please tell me I won't have to pick up the weapons again and I can just kill people with my shotgun on chapter 2.

I don't really agree with early comments about how little ammo there is, though, seems like people are just wasting resources without thinking. It's definitely no RE6, where you have to drop shit because you have too much and can't pick up herbs, but it's not even close to The Last of Us on Grounded either. I'd say it's more like The Last of Us on Hard, when it comes to the amount of supplies.

Yeah I think so. I mean if you don't upgrade your stock, you could run into that problem. But if you upgrade your stock you shouldn't run into that problem.

I ended the game with

Max handgun ammo

Max shotgun ammo

Max sniper ammo

Magnum with 6 in the barrel and 6 in stock

4 syringes

I could've went crazy on the last two chapters but I was conservative and careful the whole time. I blame RE1/REmake for cursing me with that habit. lol

Gbraga

Yeah I think so. I mean if you don't upgrade your stock, you could run into that problem. But if you upgrade your stock you shouldn't run into that problem.

I ended the game with

Max handgun ammo

Max shotgun ammo

Max sniper ammo

Magnum with 6 in the barrel and 6 in stock

4 syringes

I could've went crazy on the last two chapters but I was conservative and careful the whole time. I blame RE1/REmake for cursing me with that habit. lol

Yeah, I mean, after 2 chapters it was clear to me that ammo capacity and matches should be my priority when upgrading, because there was a lot more of that than I could carry.

And I don't mean "lolz they suck at games", because I'm not very good at it myself. It's just that the first enemy in the game made me waste my 6 bullets and then had to punch him like an idiot until he died. It was only then that I remembered "oh right, this is kinda like a Resident Evil game, I should't be just shooting like an idiot". For most enemies, if you use more than 2 bullets, you've already failed.

I guess my point is: If RE6 had as little ammo as this game, you'd only maybe have trouble with those garbage bullet sponge bosses (or maybe they wouldn't be bullet sponges, which would make them better), but for regular enemies? 1 or 2 shots to set up your preferred melee move and you're done.

You don't have suplexes and shit here, but you can just shoot regular enemies in the leg and burn them, for example.

I'm still early at the game, so maybe it gets much more difficult later on, but I also can't imagine if there was anything so far that could be one of the reasons for the "too difficult" complaints. And don't get me wrong, I was excited when I saw some reviewers saying the game was really hard, but so far it really isn't.

Toa TAK

Banned
The soundtrack is up on Itunes btw. I didn't think it was that impressive of a score outside of Clare del lune and the title/credit theme by Gary Numan.

Which for some reason isn't included in the release. :(
Yeah, on Chapter 13 right now and unless there's a great final boss theme (assuming there is one) the soundtrack has been just background noise.

Sanctuary

Here's how I lucked out and beat the
two Keepers
in Chapter
without using too much ammo. lol

EDIT: Looking at that again, it was a bad idea to use a flame bolt. Didn't do anything to him but t hurt me. =l

I don't understand. What is there to "luck out" with in that video, and how are you using "little" ammo? I think I ended up using one grenade, two bolts and four magnum rounds. Are some people actually using double or triple what you used? Because what you used seemed about right anyway.

Lucent

Yeah, I mean, after 2 chapters it was clear to me that ammo capacity and matches should be my priority when upgrading, because there was a lot more of that than I could carry.

And I don't mean "lolz they suck at games", because I'm not very good at it myself. It's just that the first enemy in the game made me waste my 6 bullets and then had to punch him like an idiot until he died. It was only then that I remembered "oh right, this is kinda like a Resident Evil game, I should't be just shooting like an idiot". For most enemies, if you use more than 2 bullets, you've already failed.

I guess my point is: If RE6 had as little ammo as this game, you'd only maybe have trouble with those garbage bullet sponge bosses (or maybe they wouldn't be bullet sponges, which would make them better), but for regular enemies? 1 or 2 shots to set up your preferred melee move and you're done.

You don't have suplexes and shit here, but you can just shoot regular enemies in the leg and burn them, for example.

I'm still early at the game, so maybe it gets much more difficult later on, but I also can't imagine if there was anything so far that could be one of the reasons for the "too difficult" complaints. And don't get me wrong, I was excited when I saw some reviewers saying the game was really hard, but so far it really isn't.

Yeah. Well, there are some enemies where a couple of leg shots aren't enough to get them to trip. And yeah going through the game again knowing what I know now will make my next playthrough even easier. Though I'll be on a higher difficulty. I used 4 shots on the first zombie. But that's kind of expected I guess because you don't fire a gun until that point.

I don't understand. What is there to "luck out" with in that video, and how are you using "little" ammo? I think I ended up using one grenade, two bolts and four magnum rounds. Are some people actually using double or triple what you used? Because what you used seemed about right anyway.

I'm just guessing they could've. Especially if they freak out real easily. I didn't use ANY magnum ammo because that thing s strong and I was saving t. Probably would've downed them in seconds if I used it. I didn't want to use any of my actual guns so I mostly used the bow and threw away my grenades because I'm rarely in a situation where I need those. I mostly use them on bosses. -shrugs-

EDIT: Gotta understand I was preparing for a huge
final boss
fight to go all out on. Wasn't expecting to use nothing but a
turret and a rocket launcher
. I was strapped at the end of the game. lol

Sanctuary

I didn't use grenades much either outside of boss fights, except maybe one specific segment. I also didn't use any of the magnum ammo simply because of how scare it was. But once I started reaching the ending chapters, I was sitting at max and figured that in conjunction with everything else I had stocked, using even half wasn't going to kill me.

And then you don't even need ANY magnum shots for the last chapter...ugh.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Quick question for those that have finished it, I am about halfway through chapter 10 (just past
the lengthy section with all the traps
)

I need to get this finished tomorrow afternoon and wanna do it 1 go, roughly how long would you guys say there is left? I think I have a little over 10 hours on the clock right now

DukeBobby

Quick question for those that have finished it, I am about halfway through chapter 10 (just past
the lengthy section with all the traps
)

I need to get this finished tomorrow afternoon and wanna do it 1 go, roughly how long would you guys say there is left? I think I have a little over 10 hours on the clock right now

I'd say another 4-5 hours.

Chapter 9 cleared.

You know, for a game that generally don't have the best textures, Tango sure put in a lot of effort into those brain puzzles... @_@

NEO0MJ

So, are there any specific locks you guys recommend to use those keys on? Do they all just have ammo/supplies or there ones with unique items?

Lucent

I didn't use grenades much either outside of boss fights, except maybe one specific segment. I also didn't use any of the magnum ammo simply because of how scare it was. But once I started reaching the ending chapters, I was sitting at max and figured that in conjunction with everything else I had stocked, using even half wasn't going to kill me.

And then you don't even need ANY magnum shots for the last chapter...ugh.

I never got to max my
magnum
stock because I did use a few bullets. I forget on what besides probably putting one in the
leech monster guy
to finish him off. And I missed a box of bullets in chapter
because apparently I should've done a run so I'd jump to the other side. Dumb Sebastian not being able to climb some things he should be able to. =l

And yeah I usually save the
magnum
in RE games for the
final battle so I can blow them away but that wasn't necessary here.

So, are there any
specific locks you guys recommend to use those keys on? Do they all just have ammo/supplies or there ones with unique items?

It's all ammo/health/gel. It's randomized so nobody can make a graph of what contains what.

Andrew.

Banned
So, are there any
specific locks you guys recommend to use those keys on? Do they all just have ammo/supplies or there ones with unique items?

Great example of the incorrect way of using spoiler tags.

Also a great example of something that doesnt even need spoiler tags.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
So, are there any

It's random. You should save your game before you open them, that way you can reload if you get something useless.

Btw you need to give some indication of what you are spoiler-tagging

Chapter 12 is kind of cool but a bit sloppy, like in the cut scenes. Also, the gameplay is
more like Resident Evil 6 than Resident Evil 4!
Turds? Was trying to think about what you meant but I can't think of what you're referring to. lol
Didn't want to spoil. But the
Keepers

Hate those guys!

Lucent

Chapter 12 is kind of cool but a bit sloppy, like in the cut scenes.
Definitely more like Resident Evil 6 than Resident Evil 4!

Didn't want to spoil. But the
Keepers

Hate those guys!

lol. There's only one turd in that chapter though. And
he's not really that hard. Just gotta down him twice and there's plenty of ammo in there. Then get the hell out.

Bl@de

It's random. You should save your game before you open them, that way you can reload if you get something useless.

Now where is the fun in that. I love this little wheel of fortune game ... Aaaaaand behind locker 2 is ... A bolt -.- 'ooooooooink'

Markitron

Now where is the fun in that. I love this little wheel of fortune game ... Aaaaaand behind locker 2 is ... A bolt -.- 'ooooooooink'

Lol. Tbh I have only done this once, when I needed jelly to get my flaming harpoons.

Top Bottom