• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Ricker

Here's how I lucked out and beat the
two Keepers
in Chapter
without using too much ammo. lol

EDIT: Looking at that again, it was a bad idea to use a flame bolt. Didn't do anything to him but t hurt me. =l

Nice...I finally got them by using the levers back and forth,at first they come close to the gate even though its closed...when they did that,since I was kinda low on ammo,I switched to my sniper and shot them a few times through the gate...so yeah I used the Sniper like a Shotgun lol,saved me some ammo... :p

Bl@de

By the way .. Best NG+ ever on this game. In case someone wants to be surprised:
you don't have to play every chapter and only need to find collectibles you missed. Not everything again. This way you can even grind bosses for green gel. In case somebody is trophy hunting. I know I will. Thanks for this kind of implementation Mikami

Oh. Thought you did and that's why you knew a turd was coming. lol.
It was late last night and once I saw those turds I was referring to, I just said "not again!" And stopped.

Couldn't go on! I was already worn out by then especially after chapter 11 and 12. And I think I finished up 10 as well! So that was a lot for one night.

Chapter 9 was tense, oh god. I like this game so much, slowly the story is coming together as well. And those glorious, glorious headshots.

However, I wished they had used the location of ch. 9 some more. So much potential throwbacks to Mikami's earlier work....

Lucent

Nice...I finally got them by using the levers back and forth,at first they come close to the gate even though its closed...when they did that,since I was kinda low on ammo,I switched to my sniper and shot them a few times through the gate...so yeah I used the Sniper like a Shotgun lol,saved me some ammo... :p

Yeah I did the gate thing at first but I screwed up when I got close to winning and killed just
one guy
and that caused the
blood to pool in the level and I didn't know and jumped into it and it made it impossible for me to get away from the other Keeper.
So I got kinda lucky when I won because I was just winging it there. Though my plan was always to try to trap them and hit them with grenades.

It was late last night and once I saw those turds I was referring to, I just said "not again!" And stopped.

Couldn't go on! I was already worn out by then especially after chapter 11 and 12. And I think I finished up 10 as well! So that was a lot for one night.

Yeah I was like "crap" when I saw him. I was careful to not let him see me though.

I'm sure this has been asked a ton of times but i'm nervous about seeing a spoiler so i hope no one minds answering: Is there any penalty to content/story for playing through on easy? If so is there a NG+

Grisby

2 pro tips. Upgraded explosive bolts destroy anything and upgraded flash bolts are amazing for large groups.
I'm sure this has been asked a ton of times but i'm nervous about seeing a spoiler so i hope no one minds answering: Is there any penalty to content/story for playing through on easy? If so is there a NG+

No, but you'll only be able to use your items in new game plus on the highest difficulty that you beat it on.

Haha wow
Chapter 10

How are you even supposed to do that without the
Sprint
upgrade?

There is a trophy/achievement for completing the game without upgrading any abilities at all. So i suppose you can. There are also
cars that you can hide under and shoot from afar with the sniper

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm not getting the hate for Chapter 11, it's just like RE4 imo.

Here's how I lucked out and beat the
two Keepers
in Chapter
without using too much ammo. lol

EDIT: Looking at that again, it was a bad idea to use a flame bolt. Didn't do anything to him but t hurt me. =l

Nice,
are there any tip on how to beat these "keepers" with extremely low ammo?
You had 50+ bulllets for the handgun, I have like 8 and not much for the other weapons,
gonna try to disarm more of their traps but otherwise I'll probably just go back and replay the last chapter(s) anyway.

Still really enjoying this game though chapters 11-13-ish is a bit more "filler" than the rest gameplay-wise imo. (compared to the hights that is chapter 1-10 anyway)
Its not bad but there is a dip for sure. Probably they had no time left to polish some of that stuff wich is a shame.
(still goty though:)

Lucent

I think people don't like it because they didn't want anything like that to happen in this game. I can understand that, and personally would rather that not have happened, but it doesn't ruin the overall game for me.

Nice,
are there any tips on how to beat these "keepers" with extremely low ammo?
You had 50+ bulllets for the handgun, I have like 8 and not much for the other weapons,
gonna try to disarm more of their traps but otherwise I'll probably just go back and replay the last chapter(s) anyway.

Lol I was maxed in everything except the
magnum
, which I had 6 in the chamber and 6 in stock, and the crossbow. I was pretty careful the entire game so I had a lot and sometimes killed myself on purpose to replay scenarios from checkpoints in a more proficient way. So I'm not really sure how you'd take
them
down with so little ammo, but there's gotta be a way.

Though I dunno. I think sometimes in RE if you used too much ammo there'd be points where you'd have a "dead game" because there was no way you could beat the bosses unless you were so good with the knife.

Dresden

11 would be okay if many of its encounters weren't dominated by spawning waves of enemies. They're tedious, and the very forgiving checkpointing here kinda ruins the tension, too.

I thought 12 was fine, though. Short and bombastic as fuck, even if the boss fight is a total joke.

Lucent

11 would be okay if many of its encounters weren't dominated by spawning waves of enemies. They're tedious, and the very forgiving checkpointing here kinda ruins the tension, too.

I thought 12 was fine, though. Short and bombastic as fuck, even if the boss fight is a total joke.

Yeah the checkpoints can be a huge relief, but they also make me go "alright, no taking that progress away from me! Time to see what's ahead, possibly die, and go back through it with that knowledge and kick ass the next time!" lol

And yeah I would've liked
more if it wasn't a ride for 2/3 of it.

Nibel

Holy FUCK, something crazy happened in chapter 11

You know that part where you are in the gas filled warehouse and you have to grab the keycard to open that door? I just did, like dozen of times in the past and like dozen of times I've seen in videos. But when that door opened, a group of like 6 enemies came out, all in blue overalls and white masks that I didn't see before. They all were armed with knives and if you tried to run past them to go up the latter they throw it at you so that you fall. Almost died there, in the game and in RL fuark

Ricker

Haha wow
Chapter 10

How are you even supposed to do that without the
Sprint
upgrade?

By the time I hit Chapter 5 or so,it became obvious to me that I should at least upgrade ''that'' to level 3...which paid off a few times for sure...but like you said,without it in 10,it must be even harder lol...

Lucent

You know that part where you are in the gas filled warehouse and you have to grab the keycard to open that door? I just did, like dozen of times in the past and like dozen of times I've seen in videos. But when that door opened, a group of like 6 enemies came out, all in blue overalls and white masks that I didn't see before. They all were armed with knives and if you tried to run past them to go up the latter they throw it at you so that you fall. Almost died there, in the game and in RL fuark

lol in Nightmare or Akumu?

The real issue with Chapter 11 is that it kinda exposes the combat system. It's basically
the island
from RE4 without any of the finesse you have in that game. It's the main chapter that makes me question why they didn't give the player an offense move when you shoot the knee/arm of an enemy like the roundhouse kick. Knee shot --> knife stab would been an amazing mechanic.

12 is fine. A bit weak compared to something like
Gears of War which did that kind of set peice multiple times
but it doesn't harm the game.

Dresden

The neckbreaking animation (that basically shows up once in the game, if that), the melee stat, the presence of the knife alone, all suggest--at least to me--that Sebestian originally had more options for dealing with enemies up close.

Oh golly. Sure scared the bejeezus out of you.

I got past them by using flash bolts, makes it super easy to get through that section by using them.

The neckbreaking animation (that basically shows up once in the game, if that), the melee stat, the presence of the knife alone, all suggest--at least to me--that Sebestian originally had more options for dealing with enemies up close.

You mean the one time when he pulls out the knife? Yea I thought about that aswell because you don't se that at all in the rest of the game, kind of maked me miss the knifing from RE4 at times.

Ricker

One of my most ''oh shit nooo'' moment is in chapter 5 or 6 I think,
the way the first Giant appears and while still fighting that one,the other arrives also,it was almost a RE1 dog through window moment for me lol...

gconsole

Except you don't have the luxury of weapon/bullet and move like RE4. Make me question the design choice of this game. So many thing unbalance and lots of random stuff that doesn't match the dynamic of the main character.

Sanctuary

The real issue with Chapter 11 is that it kinda exposes the combat system. It's basically
the island
from RE4 without any of the finesse you have in that game. It's the main chapter that makes me question why they didn't give the player an offense move when you shoot the knee/arm of an enemy like the roundhouse kick. Knee shot --> knife stab would been an amazing mechanic.

12 is fine. A bit weak compared to something like
Gears of War which did that kind of set peice multiple times
but it doesn't harm the game.

Chapter 6 (the first two waves) does a better job of exposing when playing on Akumu. That section is just soooo bad. Enemy speed is doubled, and that includes all of their attack animations too. Sebastian attacks so slowly in comparison that you can be midswing with one of the one time use melee weapons and granny cuisinart just shreds you. They also often rise too quickly to even finish the match lighting animation.

jett

D-Member
Except you don't have the luxury of weapon/bullet and move like RE4. Make me question the design choice of this game. So many thing unbalance and lots of random stuff that doesn't match the dynamic of the main character.

Exactly. You can't throw out 20 enemies one after another in a game with such a limited amount of ammo. A game that until that point had mostly played like a straight up stealth game. Nevermind that these are the usual bullet-spongy Mikami sons of bitches.

By time you reached the island in RE4 you were a killing machine, the comparison isn't apt at all.

TEW was a good but flawed game to me until Chapter 10. Now it's just plain flawed.

ChrisV

I was loving this game a lot until the last few chapters. I'm on chapter 14 now and stuck right towards the end from what I can tell. There's a boss that I just don't have the ammo to beat no matter what I do, and I'm also tempted to just stop playing. I don't care to finish the game at all. Am I alone in this?

Sanctuary

I was loving this game a lot until the last few chapters. I'm on chapter 14 now and stuck right towards the end from what I can tell. There's a boss that I just don't have the ammo to beat no matter what I do, and I'm also tempted to just stop playing. I don't care to finish the game at all. Am I alone in this?

The chapters aren't so long that restarting one would take you very long to get back to the end of it, hopefully using less ammo along the way. The only real difficult part about that boss anyway are the
seemingly unavoidable leech attacks, but they don't do enough damage to kill you in between heals.

The knife is really the weirdest part. The restriction to stealth and bottle-stagger kills seems so arbitrary. You don't even use it to open item boxes, Sebastian instead chooses to throw loud as hell haymakers which makes no sense. It feels like you're restricted/gimped just because "Well that wouldn't be survival horror would it?" even though there's a ton of action in the game.

Chapter 6 (the first two waves) does a better job of exposing when playing on Akumu. That section is just soooo bad. Enemy speed is doubled, and that includes all of their attack animations too. Sebastian attacks so slowly in comparison that you can be midswing with one of the one time use melee weapons and granny cuisinart just shreds you. They also often rise too quickly to even finish the match lighting animation.

nope.gif. That's why I don't wanna mess with Akumu. I'd rather not hate this game.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Decided to get another chapter in before bed, was hoping for something straightforward after the nerve-shredding chapter 9. Chapter 10 was probably even more intense.
As if the whole trap-filled first half wasn't bad enough you essentially have 2 boss fights in a row.

Whilst the game's pacing might not be up there with the best it certainly has a way of giving you just enough to get by. Every encounter can feel like a final boss that you just scraped by, the difficulty in this game is perfectly judged.

I'm just hoping the game will ease up on me for the last few chapters

ThatManTy

Neo Member
I had to bite on this game. There's been some really positive impressions about the atmosphere, and game play. I really got into the mood to play something horror related during this Halloween season. Chapter 3 so far, and really liking it.

Sanctuary

Posted my review: http://www.relyonhorror.com/reviews/review-the-evil-within/

I loved it despite its false claims of being a pure survival horror experience. It was more like RE4's spiritual successor, and that's more than OK.

People keep saying this, but I just don't buy it. There are more differences than similarities to RE4. It also starts out at a much slower pace, then slowly winds up the action, drops completely off the map again, only to shoot back up later on. RE4 wasn't so wildly inconsistent. People also talk about how this game has such great pacing, but it's all over the map. If anything, it has some of the worst pacing of a Mikami directed game.

Gustaf89

Banned
only thing that i found really weird with this game, is how the chapters ends, they just end, you open a door and BOOM end of chapter, there are a few exceptions of course, but you really can't tell when a chapter is going to end, on RE4 for example a lot of chapters ended with a cinematic or tense momente, but here, nah, they just end

HeelPower

How are the PS3/360 versions of this game ?

Do they have all the fancy post processing effects too ?

I'm not the only one who thinks Leslie is incredibly annoying right? Menal illness be damned.

Yeah...I don't really like him.He could've been better.

I also don't like how they repeat the same audio over and over for his character and you can tell its looping.

Sanctuary

I'm not the only one who thinks Leslie is incredibly annoying right? Menal illness be damned.

Related perhaps?

Enchantment_by_meonlyred.jpg

Top Bottom