• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

K' Dash

The shooting in this game is all over the place, sometimes is TERRIBLE sometimes is satisfying, I wish they copied that specific thing from RE4.

gconsole

I was loving this game a lot until the last few chapters. I'm on chapter 14 now and stuck right towards the end from what I can tell. There's a boss that I just don't have the ammo to beat no matter what I do, and I'm also tempted to just stop playing. I don't care to finish the game at all. Am I alone in this?

You are not. I stop midway in chapter 15 when it force your to fight wave or enemies and I have absolutely nothing left to fight.

Toa TAK

Banned
On 14, but for what it's worth I like the characters for what little they've been presented, it's just that you don't dwell on them long enough to care.

Ashley I never had a problem with, though. VA notwithstanding.

Dominator

Think I'm gonna call it quits on this Chapter 14 boss. I run out of EVERYTHING I have and can't kill it. The game was decent while it lasted.

Don't have the patience to restart the entire chapter and try not to use as much ammo.

Think I'm gonna call it quits on this Chapter 14 boss. I run out of EVERYTHING I have and can't kill it. The game was decent while it lasted.

Don't have the patience to restart the entire chapter and try not to use as much ammo.

*edit. Nevermind. Wrong boss. This was what boss again? If it's the one I'm thinking, you
don't have to kill it, just wait for the elevator

Lucent

You are not. I stop midway in chapter 15 when it force your to fight wave or enemies and I have absolutely nothing left to fight.

I think you guys either didn't upgrade stock capacity early enough and/or weren't managing your resources very well. Beat it last night on survivor and I was maxed out at the end, save for 12
magnum
rounds. Had 4 syringes too. And even before then I wasn't struggling for ammo. And had a good amount of stuff in tge lockers just in case. Gotta learn how to efficiently use stuff.

Just saying. It gives you more than enough ammo.

Egg0

Banned
Onto Chapter 5, really liking this game so far. Survival difficulty is pretty easy so far. Have had full ammo for the bulk of the game, though I can't shake the feeling that I could have even MORE ammo if I upgraded my stock. Better to have it than not need it. Biggest scare so far is a
rat running around with a statue on it
. I just saw a moving white obelisk and thought it was a new enemy type.

Arkanius

I'm in chapter 11
Is it worth it to maximize Sprint?
I have level 4 right now

Thinking about Life Gauge (lvl 3 atm) or Pistol Crit (lvl 2)
Flash bolt is lvl 4

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I think you guys either didn't upgrade stock capacity early enough and/or weren't managing your resources very well. Beat it last night on survivor and I was maxed out at the end, save for 12
magnum
rounds. Had 4 syringes too. And even before then I wasn't struggling for ammo. And had a good amount of stuff in tge lockers just in case. Gotta learn how to efficiently use stuff.

Just saying. It gives you more than enough ammo.

Tbf you did mention earlier that you replayed checkpoints to get through them with less ammo. Most people are not going to do that.

I'm in chapter 11
Is it worth it to maximize Sprint?
I have level 4 right now

Thinking about Life Gauge (lvl 3 atm) or Pistol Crit (lvl 2)
Flash bolt is lvl 4

I'm at the same part, from what I read here we are already past the part that requires upgraded sprint so I'm not gonna bother maxing it. I'm gonna focus on my shotgun and syringes from now on. Maybe ye should upgrade your life once more.

Tbf you did mention earlier that you replayed checkpoints to get through them with less ammo. Most people are not going to do that.

While he might have done that, I didn't. I had one section in chapter 12 where I was really low on ammo, but otherwise did pretty good. If you play badly or use to much ammo I could see it giving you a harder time. At that point, load a checkpoint, load a recent save, or start the chapter over is my best advice.[/QUOTE]

Don't his minions drop bullets?

They do, you can literally farm for ammo on this boss.

Gustaf89

Banned
those complains about running out of ammo and stuff, reminded me, my first playthrough on Resident Evil 2 on the 64, man, i got the the last boss with only the Knife, got to restart the whole game and take care of my supplies

Finished it in 14:55 with 112 deaths on Survival mode. Alot of that was me trying to rush through the game without thinking.

Overall I didn't really enjoy the experience, however I'm going to give it another run through before I make my mind up on it.

The last couple of chapters were awful, chapter 12 being the worst by far.
I actually preferred the game when you were sneaking around taking enemies down stealthily rather than the gunplay that comes after the first couple of chapters.

I will give credit where it's due and say that the creature design is great as are some of the locations.

My girlfriend actually summed up my feelings on it pretty well. She saw me playing the first hour of the game last week and nothing until the final boss fight this evening. She turned to me and said "is this the same game you were playing last week"

Lucent

Yeah. Well it's better to do that than to run into situations like them where they feel like giving up and not even finishing the game. I really enjoyed the game and didn't mind redoing a few minutes from a check point to improve on what I did. Think it was fun.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
While he might have done that, I didn't. I had one section in chapter 12 where I was really low on ammo, but otherwise did pretty good. If you play badly or use to much ammo I could see it giving you a harder time. At that point, load a checkpoint, load a recent save, or start the chapter over is my best advice.

Yeah. Well it's better to do that than to run into situations like them where they feel like giving up and not even finishing the game. I really enjoyed the game and didn't mind redoing a few minutes from a check point to improve on what I did. Think it was fun.

I just started Ch 11 but I'm not having any ammo problems either. I killed the Ch 10 boss, without having to collect any ammo from the arena. I know there's a lot of enemies upcoming in the next few chapters so hopefully I don't fuck it up

Lucent

I just started Ch 11 but I'm not having any ammo problems either. I killed the Ch 10 boss, without having to collect any ammo from the arena. I know there's a lot of enemies upcoming in the next few chapters so hopefully I don't fuck it up

I'm sure you'll be ok. Lol

I will say the lack of polish in places does really bug me at times.

Like ive found myself doing the following:

- having Seb always have a two handed weapon out because the movement animation is better. That or the lantern. He default run animation really does look kind of shitty.

- using the shotgun melee animation to break open boxes. Why? Because it looks fucking stoopid whey they use the default punching swing animation for breaking open giant wooden crates. Stacks of them sometimes even. Sebastian can oblirate entire rooms of boxes with one falcon punch, but cant faze a shambling corpse (>___<)

- the freaking texture loading and hitching. It almost ruins entire cutscenes :(

I'm a bit into Chapter 7 now, I think. It's been surprisingly great so far! I do have some complaints performance-wise, though. Frame rate was super spotty in Chapter 4 (PS4), and during the section where you have to turn off all the valves in chapter 7 I'm pretty sure it dipped below 20. Obviously had something to do with the amount of gas on screen, but still. Atmosphere is great!

tariniel

I'm on the fence.

I can handle scary like RE4 and 5, had a great time with both.

I could not handle Dead Space. The scary was too much.

How fucked am I if I buy this game?

Markitron

I'm on the fence.

If you can't handle Dead Space then this game will be far too much for you. Probably the most intense game I have ever played. Dead Space is Mario Galaxy compared to this

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Hey, I beat it. Final stats were 15:39 and 47 deaths on Survival.

I'll put up a more detailed thoughts post later tonight.

DukeBobby

I'm on the fence.

I don't think this is scarier than Dead Space. Then again, I don't think either game is particularly scary.

Andrew.

Banned
Just scored the Full House troph. I guess the poison bolts don't count cause I never used them. Also Im pretty sure I've barely used incendiaries, so I guess the game only counts five kills from harpoon, ice, shock, and explosive.

Love experimenting with enemy weaknesses and efficiency in this game. A freeze bolt plus melee is a perfect alternative to those Alteregos.

ThisOne

Do the lockers have a specific item in each one or does the first locker you open always have the same item regardless of which specific locker it is?

Also, does anyone know if devs have commented on patching in framerate improvements? It's starting to be pretty distracting.

Lucent

Just scored the Full House troph. I guess the poison bolts don't count cause I never used them. Also Im pretty sure I've barely used incendiaries, so I guess the game only counts five kills from harpoon, ice, shock, and explosive.

The incendiary and poison arrows are DLC only so that's probably why.

Nuke Soda

Attempting a second play through with way toned down expectations hoping to get the joy out of it most people in this thread are. Way to high of anticipation levels going in on play through number 1 left me dare I say a little burned, hehehe.

so is there absolutely no way to escape death when an enemy holding dynamite starts chasing you. Seems like its instant death even at a pretty decent distance away

Jingo

Not as scary as Dead Space. Probably on par with RE4, maybe slightly scarier.

Not as scary? Damm im *ucked, i didnt found dead space scary, it was tense for me, thats for sure, but never scary ( except the beginning running for the elevator)

But hey, im gonna play this game no matter what, is this one and alien isolation till next game big games.

Lucent

That is some bullshit.

Yeah. That's the times we live in now...gotta wonder whose idea that was. I mean they went through the effort to prigram and animate those (at least incendiary). Wouldn't be surprised if they offer them later but it's kinda pointless by then. They're not game changing weapons but they can be fun.

I don't wanna believe it was Mikani's call.

When you're out of ammo, the drop two pistol bullets if you can melee them. It's hard to time it right and you get hit anyway. Couple that fact with which I don't have any syringes left, I die from farming.

So you go into battle with no ammo at all? Cause otherwise you should only be shooting at those enemies then to recoup.

Sanctuary

Haha, oh my god. I could just about cry tears of joy right now if my tear ducts were not so dry from crying tears of frustration. Much of which could have been avoided had I known one simple little thing about Glasses Asshole in the basement of chapter 6 (Akumu). I think I spent two hours repeatedly dying in that section last night after figuring out exactly when to Benny Hill and when to kill in the first part. The second part seemed like it was much harder, but it's actually quite easy in comparison.

Should be smooth sailing from here on out until chapter 11 and then again at the end of 14.

If you can't handle Dead Space then this game will be far too much for you. Probably the most intense game I have ever played. Dead Space is Mario Galaxy compared to this

Too each their own and whatnot, but I feel they are probably about equal, with Dead Space being far more consistent in its atmosphere. Dead Space still stands as the master class in how to correctly do audio for games like this too. It has not been topped yet.

I finally got to play a little more on Sunday. I finished chapter 7, boy that chapter really cleaned me out. I was really mad when I found out that you could
just use greanades or the lock box mans own traps

Cudder

yo people!

Gonna be starting the game soon. What difficulty is recommended for a first playthrough? I hear the game is quite hard even on normal.

Sanctuary

yo people!

Gonna be starting the game soon. What difficulty is recommended for a first playthrough? I hear the game is quite hard even on normal.

Casual drops more ammo and also gives you an awareness detector (kind of like from the Splinter Cell games) that shows how far away you are from enemy detection, or if they are aware. Personally I think it looks goofy having a scanning eye icon on screen all of the time when you're sneaking, but if you're not a vet of the genre (although this is kind of a hybrid between Survival Horror and Action Horror), Casual might be better for your first playthrough.

Dresden

yo people!

Survival is pretty manageable and the frustrating stuff (one hit kills) is probably just as frustrating on casual.

Alfredo

Casual drops more ammo and also gives you an awareness detector (kind of like from the Splinter Cell games) that shows how far away you are from enemy detection, or if they are aware. Personally I think it looks goofy having a scanning eye icon on screen all of the time when you're sneaking, but if you're not a vet of the genre (although this is kind of a hybrid between Survival Horror and Action Horror), Casual might be better for your first playthrough.

You can actually turn that eye icon on for Survival difficulty in the options. I played with it on. It's helpful and I'm not really big on stealth games. It's also kinda funny 'cause it also tells you someone is watching you when it's a scripted story event.

jacobeid

Banned

Oddly enough I find the opposite to be true. They're both in the same realm, but Dead Space was scarier. More standard scares whereas the atmosphere and creepy vibe of The Evil Within is what stands out.

I love this game so far, but I don't know if I've been getting super lucky or what but I've never been in a state where I felt like I was screwed, I've had 0 ammo at some points but id punch a box and get a good amount. Chapter 7 is where I had to actually start playing smart. I've also been getting lots of green gel too. Playing on survivor.

Top Bottom