• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

despire

Welp, now I'm confused.

Why can I still only see Normal and Survival difficulties? I wanted to do an Akuma run next.

Edit: Never mind, I get it. Why can't I access the two new difficulties through New Game Plus though?

Because it would be easier if you're fully upgraded yourself and your weapons through previous runs.

F311

My ps4 just crashed while playing through chapter 10 and I booted it back up and low and behold I had to wipe my ps4 and with it my save QQ

KyleCross

Why won't developers enable console commands and cheats on consoles already? Games with cheats like GTAV can turn off trophy/achievement earning when used so that's no reason. I never understood why developers have that as an accessible option (and not through third-party modding) on PC but never consoles. It'd be really cool on an additional playthrough to play the game headless (something that'll happen if Seb is decapitated with God Mod on) on PS4. Alas, I'd have to double-dip on the PC for such whackyness. XD

bosseye

Just picked this up on PS4. Its good so far, I will enjoy it I expect. Its all agreeably revolting.

The (patched) performance is fine for me and the camera location up the characters arse is not a real issue, but those black bars though, Christ. They're taking some getting used to. They make the whole thing incredibly claustrophobic but not in a good way, more in a 'I genuinely can't see whats going on around me way' meaning I'm constantly panning and spinning and waving the camera around just to get a better view of the world. And its a shame as its a really nice world, very atmospheric.

I'm walking everywhere thus far as I can't abide the ridiculous jogging animation, its like he's prancing about on his toes, like an athlete warming up on the starting line. Looks idiotically janky.

But nevermind. I think my favourite part so far having just cleared Chapter 2 is the enemy designs and the way a bullet rips great chunks of them off but they keep coming.

Trick_GSF

Banned
Finished this today. Wonderful game, with a few flaws, no doubt. But a great overall experience.

Really pissed off I had to lower the difficulty on the
duel box-head boss fight.
I had almost nothing going into the fight, so..

Certainly a challenging game in parts.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I really, really want to know how well this did and whether it might convince Tango to do more mature games like these. Would be nice to have a small comeback of this type of game.

-MD-

yW8JH.png

Germany:

01 (NE) PS4 THE EVIL WITHIN (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
04 (NE) PS3 THE EVIL WITHIN (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
06 (NE) XBO THE EVIL WITHIN (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)

uFalM.png

UK:

01 (NE) PS4 THE EVIL WITHIN (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
06 (NE) XBO THE EVIL WITHIN (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)

Thread was updated, awww ye.

cruelly, my thought as this nears an end is that i want a sequel right now.

DLC still on the way!

And I too hope for a sequel.

In fact, so frequently does The Evil Within draw from Resident Evil 4 and other Mikami titles that, given so many cut/paste settings, I'd almost credit it as some weird meta commentary on Shinji Mikami's brain and the shit he keeps thinking of. "The Evil Within" is Shinji Mikami's head and his creations.

I'm glad this theory keeps popping up, its the only logical explanation for the narrative structure of TEW

The relative scarcity of ammo is countered by the fact that you can carry all of the weapons with you at any time, imo.
While that does counter it just a bit, RE 4 simply had you having to manually pause the game to switch weapons. Which sucks today and sucked back then. I'd still say TEW its more survival horror then RE4 anyday and I love RE4.

I used to be pretty good at survival horror games, but this one's hard. It's kicking my ass. Then again, I'm trying to be a bit too perfect and let the enemies kill me once they see me so that I can sneak by.

Three hours in and I'm only done Chapter 3. That boss was a pain in the ass.

I'm still at the start, really (there's what, 17 chapters?) so this is early, but I'm not sure I love it. I like things about it, like its atmosphere, but it's more frustrating than fun and its unpredictable AI can be annoying. Sometimes they'll be dumb and run into stair rails. Other times, they'll spot you crouching out of the corner of their eye and then it's game over.

KyleCross

I just checked the trophy ratings via my PS4's trophy list. It looks like the bulk of players aren't getting very far, lol. 50% of players beat Chapter 3, and then it appears it's downhill from there.

KyleCross

Then again, I'm trying to be a bit too perfect and let the enemies kill me once they see me so that I can sneak by.

Other times, they'll spot you crouching out of the corner of their eye and then it's game over.

I am not one to tell someone how they should play a game, but unless you're doing some sort of "stealth only" master-run or something you have no reason to be playing like that. You can break contact with enemies and they'll exit alert phase, there's hiding places all over for this reason.

EDIT: Shit, double post. Sorry.

I just checked the trophy ratings via my PS4's trophy list. It looks like the bulk of players aren't getting very far, lol. 50% of players beat Chapter 3, and then it appears it's downhill from there.

Yeah I find that hilarious... but then I also think to myself do people suck THAT much at playing a little more challenging games? or did that many people just hate it to quite out?

I am not one to tell someone how they should play a game, but unless you're doing some sort of "stealth only" master-run or something you have no reason to be playing like that. You can break contact with enemies and they'll exit alert phase, there's hiding places all over for this reason.

I was trying to get a handle on the stealth mechanics, and also trying to get the profile award for sneaking past the enemies in chapter 2. It took a while to get perfect sneaking runs on both of the major enemy encounters, but it never unlocked.

I'm not doing anything like a stealth only run. I'm just trying to beat the game, but I'm trying to conserve as many items as possible and avoid combat whenever possible. I'm not the type of gamer to do specific/limited runs.

Thanks, though. I will be doing that more now. Thinking about playing on casual, but then I'd miss out on an award and it might be embarrassing when people look.

Ch. 11 maybe spoilers?

Did anybody see the
brain energy vending machine in ch. 11? You can press it and get brain gel but I think after your third one a bomb comes out -.- freakin killed my ass lol

Nibel

Ch. 11 maybe spoilers?

Did anybody see the
brain energy vending machine in ch. 11? You can press it and get brain gel but I think after your third one a bomb comes out -.- freakin killed my ass lol

Try the other ones as well. One of them has a key statue inside.

Ha, I noticed the same, makes me feels better for taking so long to get through it (still on chapter 7). I think it's genuinely tougher than maybe some people expected (myself included) and those bosses are pretty big roadblocks. I feel a good combination of stressed / accomplished finishing around a chapter a night so far.

Got past the part with
Laura
in chapter 10 and wow I have not died as much in this game as I did during that segment. It must have taken me about 10-15 minutes of dying before realizing what to do and even then it took me a bunch of tries to execute it. I can definitely understand players getting frustrated with something like that but it really was not all that difficult once I understood the mechanics. The tension is unreal and I love that about this game, it's something that I haven't legitimately felt from a horror game in a long time. Really looking forward to replaying the game with the knowledge and skills I've acquired from this first playthrough, it honestly reminds me of the feeling I had when playing Resident Evil or Silent Hill for the first time, only I'm more familiar with conserving supplies at this point compared when I was younger playing those!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

While I agree with a fair amount of this review, it reveals to me a flaw in Kotaku's rating system (maybe not because of this specific review, but because this is one of the first "No" reviews I've actually read on the site).

Reviews are subjective and everyone, including Kotaku, knows this. So appending a number that summarizes the amount of subjective pleasure the reviewer experienced makes sense to me, even though it's not ideal. But saying "NO, you shouldn't play this game" completely betrays that appreciation of subjectivity and says "I was frustrated and bored by elements X, Y, and Z and I am overly certain that you will be too, so nobody should play this game."

Obviously, the reader can still go through the review and decide whether the criticisms resonate with their personal tastes and tolerances, just like with a numbered score. It just rubs me the wrong way that "NO you shouldn't play this game" is a possible conclusion for a game that clearly has some merits despite its problems. Another way of looking at it is that it's easy to reconcile someone having a "6" experience with the game and another person have a "9" experience. It's harder for me to take "No, shouldn't play" seriously in a world with multiple conflicting viewpoints.

psychotron

Chapter 15
This is a real pain in the ass. I'm at the eyeball room and I'm being attacked by everyone in the world with hardly any ammo. I found some parts and harpoons laying around but it's still tough. I was able to get to the chainsaw guy, but I run completely out of ammo and there's no way for me to beat him. I was literally running around in circles for 15 minutes looking for something to spawn, but no luck. He finally caught me and I died. I was hoping the game wouldn't pull shit like this at the end, recycling past bosses.

Gurish

As i said, I'm at chapter 7 and still don't understand why reviewers are so frustrated and die a lot, the game gets seriously difficult later on? cause difficulty seems perfect for me up until this point and i don't consider myself as some pro, although i do have a good experience with the genre, but never considered myself an expert, are they just terrible or the game gets harder later on?

need help w/ ch 6
chainsaw dude is tanky AF and I have very little ammo and only 2 explosive barrels 8(
Can't you craft some explosive bolts?

You can
put an explosive bolt on one of the barrels and run near it, it will do massive damage.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
need help w/ ch 6
chainsaw dude is tanky AF and I have very little ammo and only 2 explosive barrels 8(

This may not be helpful, but go back in time and have more ammo.

I had a decent amount of shotgun ammo and bolts at that point and I think the level is well stocked with supplies. It seems lame, but if you do replay the area, let
your buddy
do more of the heavy lifting.

Sorry I don't have any suggestion for your actual situation.

Oh yeah. What Gurish said. Can you craft some bolts?

As i said, I'm at chapter 7 and still don't understand why reviewers are so frustrated and die a lot, the game gets seriously difficult later on? cause difficulty seems perfect for me up until this point and i don't consider myself as some pro, although i do have a good experience with the genre, but never considered myself an expert, are they just terrible or the game gets harder later on?

It seems this guy is just incredibly terrible at games (and forgot to read the review guides Bethesda sent out LOL). Reviewed by the same buffoon who got stuck 4 (FOUR) hours at the Agreus chase part in LoS2 (a section wich should have normaly taken you half an hour max).

I found TEW actually a tiny little bit too easy. Totally manageble difficulty if you're at least half way experienced with these type of games.

Prodigal

Banned
So fella's, this is kind of embarrassing: My first RE game was 5 which I loved, then 6 was next for me which I enjoyed a lot too. Now I beat Evil Within last night and thought it was fantastic. I have RE4 sitting in my Steam list untouched, but that's about to change. What else should I look out for as far as older games go similar in style to these? Silent Hill I assume?

Gurish

It seems this guy is just incredibly terrible at games (and forgot to read the review guides Bethesda sent out LOL). Reviewed by the same buffoon who got stuck 4 (FOUR) hours at the Agreus chase part in LoS2 (a section wich should have normaly taken you half an hour max).

I found TEW actually a tiny little bit too easy. Totally manageble difficulty if you're at least half way experienced with these type of games.
I didn't play LoS2, but later i'll look up on youtube to see that chase, I'm curious to see why it took him 4 hours now :p

So fella's, this is kind of embarrassing: My first RE game was 5 which I loved, then 6 was next for me which I enjoyed a lot too. Now I beat Evil Within last night and thought it was fantastic. I have RE4 sitting in my Steam list untouched, but that's about to change. What else should I look out for as far as older games go similar in style to these? Silent Hill I assume?
Silent Hill is great and its horror elements are the strongest out of the names you mentioned, just don't expect strong combat like the later REs and TEW, it's pretty basic, do expect a lot of exploring, hard puzzles and amazing-creepy atmosphere.

I don't know if the first SH holds today, but 2&3 are very recommended+ pre order REmake from steam while you're at it :)

What? You never played RE4? That's the first thing you catch up on now, boy! If you liked RE5/6 and TEW then you will love RE4.
Yes, definitely check out the Silent Hill games too. Especially Silent Hill 2 & 3. Just keep in mind that Silent Hill is less action oriented and more of a real survival horror. More surviving, less shooting.
If you're looking for other similar games to TEW then The Last of Us comes to my mind (in case you own a PS3).

Sanctuary

I don't even understand why RE4 has an inventory, you can pack as much shit into it as you want. I seriously rolled around with 4 guns and like 2 dozen herbs, nades and ammo boxes for days.

People praise it but it's honestly pretty dumb.

It was probably just so that you didn't have to keep backtracking to your infinite item boxes of holding that were all connected through wormholes (which was also honestly pretty dumb in the other games, yet convenient).

I'd almost credit it as some weird meta commentary on Shinji Mikami's brain and the shit he keeps thinking of. "The Evil Within" is Shinji Mikami's head and his creations.

That's sure what it seemed like, but without any actual focus. Just whatever came to mind at the time. As for the rest of your post, it makes it sound like you haven't played much outside of RE4. There were only minor similarities throughout the game, with the more action focused levels feeling straight out of RE5 while the rest were just an amalgamation of various other horror themed games and movies.

You want to play Dead Space 1 and 2 if you haven't. Mechanically they follow in line with RE4/5/6 and Evil Within a lot. This style of action-horror game isn't really similar to older horror games though. The classic Resident Evil and Silent Hill games have a very different feel to them. They're still good, but just because you enjoyed these games doesn't mean you'll like them.

Gurish

You want to play Dead Space 1 and 2 if you haven't. Mechanically they follow in line with RE4/5/6 and Evil Within a lot. This style of action-horror game isn't really similar to older horror games though. The classic Resident Evil and Silent Hill games have a very different feel to them. They're still good, but just because you enjoyed these games doesn't mean you'll like them.
Am i the only one who felt the first Dead Space bore him to death? such a repetitive and uninspired level design, felt like a chore to me, but most people do like it and it's indeed is closer to TEW and latter REs than SH and old RE.

I think DS2 was great though and it fixed most of my gripes with the first one, although much more action heavy, but so are RE5 and RE6 so he should like it :)

Mupod

The thing that a lot of people seem to overlook about TEW is just how nicely balanced the weapons are. Yeah, the crossbow is strong, but in the way that grenade launchers were in RE - you can't use that shit on everything. The pistol is inaccurate, weak, and has unreliable headshots but if you aim for the right spots you can score knockdowns for burning no problem. Shotgun isn't a mass destruction device like in other survival horror games, but it works great as crowd control. I find myself using at least two weapons in every encounter.

Compare it to RE4 and Dead Space - you can feasibly play those games with one gun all the time. In the case of Dead Space, only ever using the plasma cutter is actually pretty easy since you get tons of money from selling your other ammo.

need help w/ ch 6

got any flash bolts?
You can back (or front) stab him when he's stunned for hefty damage. There's a harpoon and some other ammo in the corner off to the left of where he comes out.

Top Bottom