• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

antitrop

Oh my fucking God
I just completed the driving section in Chapter 12 without even touching the stick. I didnt know you had to control it, I thought it was a cutscene, I never crashed, the game played itself. Marvelous

DukeBobby

Oh my fucking God
I just completed the driving section in Chapter 12 without even touching the stick. I didnt know you had to control it, I thought it was a cutscene, I never crashed, the game played itself. Marvelous

It's okay, it's over now. Just pretend those two chapters didn't exist.

how people can't figure out
the Shigyo/fish monster chapter 11? i mean!, there is a body hanging and then it falls and the monster goes for it, and also there are other bodies, IT'S FREAKING OBVIOUS ._.

Yeah I didn't have a problem with chapter 11 at all, in fact I kinda liked it. I also didn't find the
fish monster to be a problem at all. Knock the bodies in the water and bounce. Even if he was closer to you I think he would still go for the body.

-MD-

RE4 was more than the Island, breh. Chapters 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 10 are all pure RE4 in pacing, intensity, and even some strategies, and are the best parts of this game.

Chapter 11 dropped into RE4 would've been great, but the mechanics in TEW can't keep up.

Pacing and intensity aren't what I'm talking about. Chapter 6 and 11 took RE4 scenarios and dropped them in a better game and in turn it brought the game down a notch.

Chapter 3 lifted the village from RE4 but did it better, that's one of the best chapters in the game. Don't get me wrong, the couple times this game has dropped the ball it was still really fun, it just shouldn't be here. Hopefully they don't go out of their way to pander to RE4 fans if it gets a sequel, no more cart rides or compounds with 30 enemies shooting guns please, leave it in 2005.

I can appreciate 12 for how ludicrous it is. That final stretch is pure jank but it's so easy and short that it doesn't bother me.

Wasn't the whole chapter pretty short? The back half of 11 felt longer than all of 12.

Lernaean

Banned
I agree that the story is very interesting.
Mikami is sure returning to his RE roots. We have the story of
a research starting small, gone massive and completely changing the lives of the poor souls that happened to cross its path. We have an Umbrella 2, we have an Ada 2, and we have the crossed researcher that still haunts the research.
And i believe we haven't seen nothing yet, and the DLC will fill many story gaps and give us a lot more insight about the characters, their motivations, and their roles in the chessboard.
I watched that ending explain video that was posted here earlier, and while i disagree on most parts with the uploader, for example
he suggests that the bosses were created by Seb's imagination while we know now that they are aspects of Ruvics emotions
, i agree with one thing, and it's very important.
I too think that Ruvic either completely took over Leslie, or merged with him, and that now he is alive and free again, either in the real world or the fantasy.
We'll see.

I can appreciate 12 for how ludicrous it is. That final stretch is pure jank but it's so easy and short that it doesn't bother me.

I was expecting some unplayable stuff by the reactions in here, but alI got was a kinda janky set piece chapter. Pretty harmless in the grand scheme. Neither 11 or 12 are even the worst parts of this. Chapter 15 is like Chapter 1 tier IMO. Starting and ending the game on lows is a much bigger issue to me.

Pacing and intensity aren't what I'm talking about. Chapter 6 and 11 took RE4 scenarios and dropped them in a better game and in turn it brought the game down a notch.

Chapter 3 lifted the village from RE4 but did it better, that's one of the best chapters in the game. Don't get me wrong, the couple times this game has dropped the ball it was still really fun, it just shouldn't be here. Hopefully they pander less to RE4 fans if it gets a sequel, no more cart rides please.

Chapters 5 and 6 are easily the most quality stretch in the game in my eyes, so we're obviously on different sides of this. The fact that you even call TEW a better game tells me we'll never agree.

Dead

well not really...yet
Chapter 11 and 12 are definitely a real low point. Should have been cut from the game wholesale. Nothing would have been lost.

Chapter 13 was money though. Super creepy and tense.

antitrop

Hopefully they pander less to RE4 fans if it gets a sequel, no more cart rides or compounds with 30 enemies shooting guns please, leave it in 2005.

The Evil Within's mine cart ride-ripoff isn't even 10% as cool as RE4's. Half the fun of that in RE4 was jumping back and forth between the different carts to avoid the enemies. In TEW you just stand in one place and shoot guys on your left and right once in the leg so they fall into the pit. Not even as cool as RE4's gondola ride.

Fucking lame.

So i was just sitting here thinking over that theory from that video posted in here,
if from right away in the beginning, you're in Ruhvik's mind, why is there dead police officers outside the room in the end when your in the real world finally

-MD-

The Evil Within's mine cart ride-ripoff isn't even 10% as cool as RE4's. Half the fun of that in RE4 was jumping back and forth between the different carts to avoid the enemies. In TEW you just stand in one place and shoot guys on your left and right once in the leg so they fall into the pit.

Fucking lame.

Jumping in a different box doesn't make it better, I didn't even move boxes in my playthrough a few weeks ago.

RE4's carts had turns and a handful of enemies jump into the carts with you, this game was a straight line. Outside of that shit was the same thing.

Love this game's choice to not give you any automatic weapons. Really plays into the whole 'you are not a space marine' thing. You really have to think about positioning and get yourself safe before aiming and taking a shot, and can't just dump without losing too much ammo and time.

-MD-

Love this game's choice to not give you any automatic weapons. Really plays into the whole 'you are not a space marine' thing. You really have to think about positioning and get yourself safe before aiming and taking a shot, and can't just dump without losing too much ammo and time.

I really appreciate the limited arsenal too, it makes each weapon feel like they have a purpose.

I was expecting some unplayable stuff by the reactions in here, but allI got was a kinda janky set piece chapter. Pretty harmless in the grand scheme. Neither 11 or 12 are even the worst parts of this. Chapter 15 is like Chapter 1 tier IMO. Starting and ending the game on lows is a much bigger issue to me.

I put chapter 15 wayyyyyyyyyyyyy over 1 lol.
The first couple of encounters are alright, if unspectacular (though I was in a good kind of disbelief when the RPG sadist ran in), and the Super Boxman Bros fight was a great way to waste my magnum ammo I'd been saving. Final boss wasn't much of a boss but I thought the choreography was top notch and hype as hell. The use of the humvee and RPG made their previous appearances pretty forward thinking in retrospect. Got pretty good "a-ha!" moments out of them. I was ready to hate the stealth section when I died the first time to some clunky movement (ran into a tripwire somehow), but nailed it the next attempt.

By contrast, chapter 1 has pretty much nothing for me. Forced walk limp in the beginning, and the sadist encounter is pretty empty, mechanically.

Lernaean

Banned
I really appreciate the limited arsenal too, it makes each weapon feel like they have a purpose.

I'm sure it is not a popular opinion, but i feel like there was some awesome coding regarding this in the game.
Sometimes i had a good amount of ammo, and would kill haunted or break boxes and get nothing, and other times i was left with a couple of shots and ammo would drop from the most unlikely of circumstances.
It felt that the game made sure you had just enough ammo to go by.

Jobbs

Banned
my time with this game is often fraught, but characterized also by extreme high points.

here's the highlight of the night.

CheapUnknownBasenji.gif

Think that's five KIA for two bullets (shoulda been one).

(I typically stream for my friends to be able to watch as they please, so I have a record of all my gameplay)

The first couple of encounters are alright, if unspectacular (though I was in a good kind of disbelief when the RPG sadist ran in), and the Super Boxman Bros fight was a great way to waste my magnum ammo I'd been saving. Final boss wasn't much of a boss but I thought the choreography was top notch and hype as hell. The use of the humvee and RPG made their previous appearances pretty forward thinking in retrospect. Got pretty good "a-ha!" moments out of them. I was ready to hate the stealth section when I died the first time to some clunky movement (ran into a tripwire somehow), but nailed it the next attempt.

By contrast, chapter 1 has pretty much nothing for me. Forced walk limp in the beginning, and the sadist encounter is pretty empty, mechanically.

Yeah, the proper gameplay parts of chapter 15 are amazing. It's the Uncharted type shit that I didn't like.

my time with this game is often fraught, but characterized also by extreme high points.

CheapUnknownBasenji.gif

(I typically stream for my friends to be able to watch as they please, so I have a record of all my gameplay)

Even though there was a puzzle that involved shooting gears, I totally forgot about that during this encounter...and so I ran to the lever to actually turn it lol

I don't know man, Chapter 15 just feels like a mad dash to the finish line throwing everything at you with contrived-as-hell events happening because "Welp, this is the end of the game so here's crazy stuff." It's the same trap a lot of games fall into and almost none of them can pull it off. Chapter 1 is worse because it's "hold up for things" forced walking right at the beginning of the game for an hour, but Chapter 15 is just.....excessive, and without any real direction or payoff.

People hate on Chapter 11, but at least there's a real sense of progression and pacing there. The same thing for the stretch in Chapter 13 to 14 which is underrated and uses the goal of
getting to the subway train bridge
very effectively (a technique that God of War uses, and one that I love in games). Ch. 15's a mess in comparison.

-MD-

I'm sure it is not a popular opinion, but i feel like there was some awesome coding regarding this in the game.
Sometimes i had a good amount of ammo, and would kill haunted or break boxes and get nothing, and other times i was left with a couple of shots and ammo would drop from the most unlikely of circumstances.
It felt that the game made sure you had just enough ammo to go by.

There has been multiple times when I've finished a section with like 1-2 bullets left (or none), it also seems to give a near perfect amount of pistol ammo when you're supposed to use the environment to get past a section (
cranks, fish
etc)

It's really well done. I'm not really sure how it works though, It seems like it adjusts resources on the fly based on how you're playing and your current ammo count but I've seen other posters claim they never ran low, I've also seen people claim they didn't have enough ammo to finish a section and had to restart.

Even though there was a puzzle that involved shooting gears, I totally forgot about that during this encounter...and so I ran to the lever to actually turn it lol

Yeah same, I feel stupid lol

Me too dammit ;_;

Fellas...

This game is definitely an example of "the sum being greater than the parts." It stays with me every time I play it until the next time I boot it up. Can't wait for
NG+
, either. Anyone on the fence: get it!

The worst parts being like RE4 is a pretty big compliment regardless of said stance on RE4... Cause most games wish they could even come close to its level of greatness :)

Lucent

CheapUnknownBasenji.gif

I threw a bottle at it. lol!

CheapUnknownBasenji.gif

Wait, what's your method of turning that Twitch footage into a gif? Convert to YouTube and download, or capture desktop footage of the stream and crop?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
On repeat playthrough, chapter fifteen was by far my least favourite part of the game. Chapter 1 barely counts once you've "solved" it.

Chapter 15 is ugly and boring.

Arklite

I've gone back to Alien Isolation after finishing this and realized I was constantly scanning the ground for booby traps. Complete paranoia achieved, Tango.

CheapUnknownBasenji.gif

This is great :D Love how it was the last bullet too! Stuff like this happens all the time in this game, you always feel right the end of your rope.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I've gone back to Alien Isolation after finishing this and realized I was constantly scanning the ground for booby traps. Complete paranoia achieved, Tango.

Going back and forth fucks me up in both games. I keep hitting the wrong button to crouch and bring up the item menu.

Lucent

Going back and forth fucks me up in both games. I keep hitting the wrong button to crouch and bring up the item menu.

Yeah, that's why I tend to only play a couple of games at a time. Getting used to the controls again to games with dramatically different control schemes can be annoying. lol. Unless you're playing a Mario game. =P

Also just got past the 2nd chapter on Akumu. I think a chapter a day is all I can take of that mode. It's really really nerve-racking because if you mess up and they turn around there's usually nothing you can do. You're dead. lol. One run during chapter 2 I was doing very well and then suddenly Sebastian stops moving and collapses. I stepped in a bear trap. lol. Wasn't so funny at the time though. That pissed me off. lol

Might do chapter 3 tomorrow maybe.

Good to see PC improvements are coming. Hopefully consoles get thrown a bone. A patch to fix framerate, FOV, and load times would improve the game immensely.

Yeah if they could somehow get the 30fps to be rock solid that'd be excellent. That's what I want most. FOV should be totally doable since you see it change in the save world and in Chapters 9 and 15 there are parts where the camera is really pulled back, even in aim mode. Load times would be great if they can do it. It's majorly needed for Akumu mode.

Yeah, that's why I tend to only play a couple of games at a time. Getting used to the controls again to games with dramatically different control schemes can be annoying. lol. Unless you're playing a Mario game. =P

Also just got past the 2nd chapter on Akumu. I think a chapter a day is all I can take of that mode. It's really really nerve-racking because if you mess up and they turn around there's usually nothing you can do. You're dead. lol. One run during chapter 2 I was doing very well and then suddenly Sebastian stops moving and collapses. I stepped in a bear trap. lol. Wasn't so funny at the time though. That pissed me off. lol

Might do chapter 3 tomorrow maybe.

I found chapter 2 pretty rough. 3 was a bit easier for me IIRC. Same with 4 and most of 5
(but god help you when trying to save Juli).

Gurish

I'm at chapter 7, tempo is higher, and it is closer to RE4 now in nature, but still, I'm having a blast, why did the reviewers complained about the game being frustrating? is it something that happens after chapter 7?

The game gives you so many tools in order to deal with any situation, and the checkpoints and save rooms are plentiful and fair, I really don't consider myself as some super skilled player and I don't understand what are the design problems of this game that make it frustrating for some.

I'm having a good challenge and every death is deserved, I think the difficulty is perfect for a first playthrough, game is awesome and it is probably my GOTY for this year.

Sanctuary

I agree 100% Chapter 10 is a major disappointment! This game is in dire need of another patch! The lag is mostly responsible for so many deaths!
way too often, you drop the match, and it don't burn the corpse, and you get grabbed and killed by spider woman. Also you can get grabbed when you're not even near spider woman
Also all other kinds of technical issues that ruins the boss battles.

Just did chapter 10 on Akumu, and that fight is probably about as much fun as Bed of Chaos was. Remember how fun that was guys? The fight was annoying enough on Survival, but it's sped up on top of having bear traps everywhere.

And the matches do seem to be somewhat random.
You can drop it as she's phasing in, it will light the corpse and not damage her and you can drop it right as she materializes only to light the corpse with her standing right next to it and then she slices you. She does also hit you from much farther than her hitbox indicates. There were numerous times where she would be rushing towards me and I would go off to the side only for her to swipe (nowhere near me) and the death animation would happen on my initial position that was 5-8 feet away from where I actually ran to.

People think the garage fight is difficult? I died around 30x against
Laura
and only once in the garage.

Good to see PC improvements are coming. Hopefully consoles get thrown a bone. A patch to fix framerate, FOV, and load times would improve the game immensely.
I may play it again if Tango/Workshop fix the 60fps thing like they said they would.

Other than that, it is a game that could be worth a second play through. I usually don't do that but the game had so many cool moments that is worth seeing again.

If not, I'm looking forward to the Julie chapters. I hope it's coming soon and a good length between the two campaigns.

Lucent

I found chapter 2 pretty rough. 3 was a bit easier for me IIRC. Same with 4 and most of 5
(but god help you when trying to save Juli).

Oh man. Almost forgot about that chapter 5 part. Yeah it's gonna be really rough. That's why I'm doing it a little at a time and doing multiple saves so if I screw up too much I have a backup.

And I'm slapping my head right now because I found map piece 3 and 4 (somehow still never found number 2) and they were right there. I was in the rooms where they were but I didn't look at them somehow. I've been taking down notes on where all the ones I've found are.

Just cleared the game in 4:18 on NG++ with full upgrades. My only remaining achievements are for my Akumu (and Nightmare) playthrough, but I'm not sure I can stand to play through this game for a fourth time so soon. Then again, I don't want my skills to get rusty before taking on Akumu.

Lucent

How do I get a automatic pistol?

Is it usable?

Gotta get all
map fragments
and it'll end up on the
table in a case
in the save room. Also get that
high-penetration rifle
. Think the pistol you get is called the
burst pistol
or something. Can't get what Joseph has.

Just did chapter 10 on Akumu, and that fight is probably about as much fun as Bed of Chaos was. Remember how fun that was guys? The fight was annoying enough on Survival, but it's sped up on top of having bear traps everywhere

Bear traps? Are you freak'n serious? That's not cool. I hope there's not too many. =l

And I don't remember Bed of Chaos being that hard. I guess I got lucky. I don't think I beat him first try but I don't remember it being that much of a battle when I did him in.

Top Bottom