• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Lernaean

Banned
People think the garage fight is difficult? I died around 30x against
Laura
and only once in the garage.

Preach! I didn't die once in the garage, and i consider it one of the easiest fights in the game.
I'm almost sure i died about 30 times in the other fight too. And maybe more :p

Can't get what Joseph has.

I read that you actually can get Joseph's pistol if you
get all the record files
. It's my next goal, so i'll know soon.

Sanctuary

Bear traps? Are you freak'n serious? That's not cool. I hope there's not too many. =l

I counted at least eight through the entire fight. There are bear traps all over the chapter 6 boss fight too, which is what made it so damn annoying.
Also, something funny for the "mini boss" fight on chapter 6.
Joseph keeps whining that he can't take the two gigante things alone, but you can hide in that narrow crawl space, only popping out to get their attention and Joseph will shoot his sniper rifle. I think I only shot a single bullet on that fight.

Preach! I didn't die once in the garage, and i consider it one of the easiest fights in the game.
I'm almost sure i died about 30 times in the other fight too. And maybe more :p

I think both the garage and
the Keeper fight in chapter 7
are two of the easiest, but the first was simply a learning experience, while the latter was just easy in general once you got your bearings. Did you end up doing the garage without taking damage?

Lucent

I read that you actually can get Joseph's pistol if you
get all the record files
. It's my next goal, so i'll know soon.

That'd be cool. I guess I just assumed that since I thought somebody would've already
had all the record files

Lernaean

Banned
There is no in-game reward for collectibles other than the map pieces.

As i said, i read it. It was like, burst pistol and rifle for
map fragments
and auto pistol for
record files
I'd like to know if we are sure though. I mean if someone has the achievement for all collectibles, but no auto pistol for example.

As i said, i read it. It was like, burst pistol and rifle for
map fragments
and auto pistol for
record files
I'd like to know if we are sure though. I mean if someone has the achievement for all collectibles, but no auto pistol for example.

I have the achievement for all collectibles. There's nothing else except the map rewards.

Maledict

Apologies for the random outsider question, but given the thread is over 200 pages long unfortunately I'm not sure I can trek through it... ;-)

Is the game worth getting on the PS4?

Quick summary - I love RE4 (possibly the best game ever), and in general love survival horror. Shadows of Mordor has bored me to tears once it hit 'second island' syndrome, so I'm looking for something with an actual storyline and atmosphere to keep me occupied.

However, people seem to be saying really bad things about the console versions and this is the type of game I prefer to play in my front room.

AGoodODST

Finished it up last night. Probably my favourite game of the year.

That being said, I thought it dragged a little towards the end with some of the more extended combat sections during the final two chapters being a particular pain.

Still, a fantastic experience and I hope we get another instalment.

Apologies for the random outsider question, but given the thread is over 200 pages long unfortunately I'm not sure I can trek through it... ;-)

Quick summary - I love RE4 (possibly the best game ever), and in general love survival horror. Shadows of Mordor has bored me to tears once it hit 'second island' syndrome, so I'm looking for something with an actual storyline and atmosphere to keep me occupied.

However, people seem to be saying really bad things about the console versions and this is the type of game I prefer to play in my front room.
Everyone's opinion on this game seems different, so it's really hard to recommend (or not).
I'm like you: RE4 is for me the best game ever and I love horror games in general. TEW did nothing for me so far and has been a major disappointment. May be different for you though, so who knows.
What I can tell you is that you are certainly going to be disappointed if you expect a game with a good storyline. TEW has none. Imagine going through various horror locations that are connected by the main character having some sort of a hallucination. I've been told it will make sense towards the end but so far (chapter 8) it seems very random and there is no real story to speak of.

The
Safehead boss fight in Chapter 7 was annoying as all fuck, if only because I needlessly wasted my supplies in the previous area. And Chapter 8 can just go fuck off all together

Also is it just me or
Does the mansion in Chapter 9 look A LOT like Luigi's Mansion lol

why the hell did this turn into Resident Evil 7 at chapter 11?

the game had great potential, but whoever said the pacing was great doesn't know what pacing means.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Without Chapter 11,12 and 15 this would be GOTY. I hated them so much that they are preventing me from replaying. I think I'm gonna try to forget about them when I think about this game.

I died 65 times and, going back over it, I'd say at least 40 were cheap 1-hit kills.

Oh man, all this negativity regarding chapter 11 when I just finished chapter 10 :D

if I could go back in time to prevent myself from playing any further, I would.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Everyone's opinion on this game seems different, so it's really hard to recommend (or not).
I'm like you: RE4 is for me the best game ever and I love horror games in general. TEW is my GOTY so far, and I enjoy almost all aspects about it. Some complain about certain wave encounters (which I am perfectly fine with), similar to the shooting in the house in RE4 right before the dividing path (one with a Giant, the other with multiple infected). Others complain about the controls, which more or less comes down to the game being balanced around the main character less being a walking tank that Leon was, but it does a pretty good job in my opinion at making you feel less empowered, even though you still have plenty of tools. Another common complaint are "cheap 1 hit kills", which I was usually always prepared for. I died, but I always knew why and I tread very carefully in this game. If I died to a environmental 1 hit kill, then I wasnt careful enough. If I died to an enemy 1 hit kill, then I simply didnt play good enough and I usually avoided that by getting better with my weapons, the controls and learning the map layout.
And I like the story, I get the impression the story might be a bit too subtle for some, but if you pay close attention to your surroundings and conversations, the story is definitely shaping up and I love that approach.

Edit: The PS4 version runs perfectly fine. Some smaller hitches, but technically its rather solid and very, very atmospheric and pretty.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
you are not making it any better :D holy shit :/

It will piss some people off a lot more than others, you may quite like it. I thought I might like it before I played it but I really didn't.

Lord Phol

I was just starting to feel comfortable with the game and pretty tough after the last 3 or so chapters, but then bam comes Chapter 9. Damn you
Ruvik
, why so random and scary D:. Had to turn the game off yesterday because I just couldn't take it >>. Will try again today!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I was just starting to feel comfortable with the game and pretty tough after the last 3 or so chapters, but then bam comes Chapter 9. Damn you
Rurik
, why so random and scary D:. Had to turn the game off yesterday because I just couldn't take it >>. Will try again today!

I had the same moment. First game I can't binge play for multiple hours, really taxing sometimes, especially if you dont know what to expect.

KyleCross

Okay so, I bought the game on release day but held off on playing it for various reasons, in the meantime I did watch the first couple hours on streams cause the sheer length of the game I knew I wouldn't be spoiling a lot.

So tonight I finally sit down and start playing it myself. Being very new to the genre and not having a lot of confidence I picked Casual. Which brings me to a point... I've heard people still have trouble on Casual and... I have to ask... how?

I have never once ran out of ammo. In fact, I've been pretty much full the entire time and have left a small armory behind in ammunition cause I don't have room for it, and yes I've been upgrading my stock. I'm almost exclusively using the handgun and the only time I've brought out the shottie is to get a herd off of me or to handle the invisible enemies.

So far I've only died a handful of times.
First death was the first encounter with Laura. She got glitched on the enviroment so I lit her up with a flame arrow, after she got out of her pain animation she suddenly got unstuck and I, startled, accidently pressed the crouch button instead of the run button and promptly got my head smashed in. The next deaths were on the puzzle with the two buttons that causes spikes to come out of the floor. After that I died twice by dynamite.

With how the game's been going for me it has basically been Resident Evil 4, which is what I wanted.

So how are there people having difficulty with this mode? Also I'm not talking about anyone on GAF, I'm mainly talking about various people on Twitch who I watched play the beginning levels. It made the game more intimidating than it already was.

This is definitely the case as I'm not MLG at all and I'm flat out crushing Casual. Maybe I really should've gone Survival. Then again I AM having fun, so I'm cool. Higher difficulties is replay value for me.

too bad
new game plus doesn't let you increase the difficulty.

I had the same moment. First game I can't binge play for multiple hours, really taxing sometimes, especially if you dont know what to expect.

Rurik

After playing that part for ages and getting pissed I found a very easy solution. As soon as the
screen flashes blue, just gtfo to any open area with some furniture. So when Ruvik is following you just circle the furniture or the area. Do the normal walk and only run a bit when he transports a bit nearer. Keep doing that and it'll turn into a benny hill thing lol.

Neff

Finished this twice now, both on normal setting, no NG+.

Even better the second time. I'm utterly in love with this game.

Markitron

After playing that part for ages and getting pissed I found a very easy solution. As soon as the
screen flashes blue, just gtfo to any open area with some furniture. So when Ruvik is following you just circle the furniture or the area. Do the normal walk and only run a bit when he transports a bit nearer. Keep doing that and it'll turn into a benny hill thing lol.

That part was tense but it can be a little irritating
IIRC he appeared 5 times to me. twice I could outrun him, but the other 3 times he found my hiding places straight away, despite not being in the room when I hid

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm about halfway through, and my consensus so far is that it's the sequel/successor to Resident Evil 4 that I wanted out of Resident Evil 5 in overall design philosophy and vision, drawing very heavily from core gameplay systems, visual concepts, pacing, imagery, and so on, and this is the game's strength. It does this while introducing its own systems and ideas, which do a go a long way towards avoiding too many gameplay similarities, while also helping forge The Evil Within's own identity.

That being said, while it might seem like a successor to Resident Evil 4 it does, quite often, feel like it's living in the latter game's shadow. Original ideas are introduced and abandoned too quickly or not expanded upon as much as they could have been (pending the latter half of the game). The parts strongest in similarity to Resident Evil 4 at times feel almost like carbon copies, only worse, largely in part due to the lack of originality. This includes gameplay set pieces, level design, and locations.

In fact, so frequently does The Evil Within draw from Resident Evil 4 and other Mikami titles that, given so many cut/paste settings, I'd almost credit it as some weird meta commentary on Shinji Mikami's brain and the shit he keeps thinking of. "The Evil Within" is Shinji Mikami's head and his creations.

In the long run this lack of originality hurts. I think the game looks gorgeous and has fantastic art, but when I enter an area and, no matter how pretty or well visualised it is, when the first thing I naturally think of is "Yep, Resident Evil 4" this is not a good thing. It happens too frequently, like the designers pushed "Resident Evil 4 successor" way too far to the point of just re-imagining chunks of the game. Only given how fucking fantastic Resident Evil 4 is from top to bottom, these re-imagined chunks just don't play as well.

There's been a handful of parts that I think are legitimately miss-directed, specifically parts where you have to do or play exactly what the designers want to forward the set piece, narrative, or whatever. The game is rarely scary, even though I love the monster and location art, and only occasionally tense. And even though it does seem trapped under the blanket of Resident Evil 4, most of the game is still legitimately good. Outside of some dips so far, the pacing is sublime and varied (in an overall package sense, not originality), and the core gameplay systems are well implemented and satisfying to use.

Thus, as a whole at about the halfway point, this is a really good action/stealth horror themed video game. But it's no survival horror, and no Resident Evil 4.

Bl@de

One Question about NG+:
Is there Ammo for the Machine Gun/Rocket Launcher ingame. Because having a machine gun with 80 shots is quite pointless ... that way you have to save it for boss fights only.

One Question about NG+:
Is there Ammo for the Machine Gun/Rocket Launcher ingame. Because having a machine gun with 80 shots is quite pointless ... that way you have to save it for boss fights only.

Nope, what you get is all you get. You don't even get a refill after completing NG+. A poor implementation of bonuses that were clearly afterthoughts.

DukeBobby

One Question about NG+:

I've picked up ammo for the
machine gun
a couple of times. It's very rare, though.

I'm about halfway through, and my consensus so far is that it's the sequel/successor to Resident Evil 4 that I wanted out of Resident Evil 5 in overall design philosophy and vision, drawing very heavily from core gameplay systems, visual concepts, pacing, imagery, and so on, and this is the game's strength. It does this while introducing its own systems and ideas, which do a go a long way towards avoiding too many gameplay similarities, while also helping forge The Evil Within's own identity.

That being said, while it might seem like a successor to Resident Evil 4 it does, quite often, feel like it's living in the latter game's shadow. Original ideas are introduced and abandoned too quickly or not expanded upon as much as they could have been (pending the latter half of the game). The parts strongest in similarity to Resident Evil 4 at times feel almost like carbon copies, only worse, largely in part due to the lack of originality. This includes gameplay set pieces, level design, and locations.

In fact, so frequently does The Evil Within draw from Resident Evil 4 and other Mikami titles that, given so many cut/paste settings, I'd almost credit it as some weird meta commentary on Shinji Mikami's brain and the shit he keeps thinking of. "The Evil Within" is Shinji Mikami's head and his creations.

In the long run this lack of originality hurts. I think the game looks gorgeous and has fantastic art, but when I enter an area and, no matter how pretty or well visualised it is, when the first thing I naturally think of is "Yep, Resident Evil 4" this is not a good thing. It happens too frequently, like the designers pushed "Resident Evil 4 successor" way too far to the point of just re-imagining chunks of the game. Only given how fucking fantastic Resident Evil 4 is from top to bottom, these re-imagined chunks just don't play as well.

There's been a handful of parts that I think are legitimately miss-directed, specifically parts where you have to do or play exactly what the designers want to forward the set piece, narrative, or whatever. The game is rarely scary, even though I love the monster and location art, and only occasionally tense. And even though it does seem trapped under the blanket of Resident Evil 4, most of the game is still legitimately good. Outside of some dips so far, the pacing is sublime and varied (in an overall package sense, not originality), and the core gameplay systems are well implemented and satisfying to use.

Thus, as a whole at about the halfway point, this is a really good action/stealth horror themed video game. But it's no survival horror, and no Resident Evil 4.

Resi 4 is nowhere near approaching Survival Horror either tho. Id say TEW is more survival horror than 4 easily, as it has much more limited supplies of ammo and health than RE4.
I dont think it suffers in comparison to RE4 really. Theyre both TPS but i tihnk of RE4 as a far more action oriented game, whereas TEW tends to be more slower paced, with alot less in terms of melee combat compared to 4.

I've picked up ammo for the
machine gun
a couple of times. It's very rare, though.

Actually, you're right. I remember doing that a couple of times on my NG+ runs. Nothing for the
rocket launcher
, though.

Is the DLC double-barrel shotgun better/worse than the normal pump-action one?

The normal one can be upgraded, the double-barrel can't. So without upgrades, the double-barrel is probably better due to its ability to fire two shots rapidly, but the normal one fully upgraded is significantly better.

Haunted

Resi 4 is nowhere near approaching Survival Horror either tho. Id say TEW is more survival horror than 4 easily, as it has much more limited supplies of ammo and health than RE4.
I dont think it suffers in comparison to RE4 really. Theyre both TPS but i tihnk of RE4 as a far more action oriented game, whereas TEW tends to be more slower paced, with alot less in terms of melee combat compared to 4.
The relative scarcity of ammo is countered by the fact that you can carry all of the weapons with you at any time, imo.

Bl@de

Nope, what you get is all you get. You don't even get a refill after completing NG+. A poor implementation of bonuses that were clearly afterthoughts.

Thats shabby. I was really hoping that
you could at least unlock unlimited ammo for 100.000 jelly or something
. Disappointed.

Sadist

PC copy get :)

http://i.minus.com/jk1s8SS2rOYSn.jpg

Installing will take a while. And hehe, I mentioned earlier in the thread that I got invited to an Evil Within event taking place in an amusementpark... that happened last saturday in a haunted house they built in the park. It's going to be on tv this friday here in Holland. I really hope I don't look dumb while playing.

-MD-

The relative scarcity of ammo is countered by the fact that you can carry all of the weapons with you at any time, imo.

Could do that in RE4 too.

In this game you're usually dealing with ammo in the single digits, in RE4 you're in the hundreds and beyond.

Scrawnton

Finished the game a few days ago and I'm about halfway through my ng+. The game is a fantastic game and I'm glad I and playing it again on ng+ because I can get all the revenge I want on the enemies that have killed me over and over the first play through.

Scrawnton

In this game you're usually dealing with ammo in the single digits, in RE4 you're in the hundreds and beyond.

Part of me wishes they would go back and make re4 with these types of controls and make it more survival and less actiony. Fantastic game the way it is though.

Gurish

I even think that in RE4 item management wasn't necessary and they could left that out, it's really more of an action game and the survival aspect is pretty much non existent when it comes to short supply, so why did they put a survival system inside an action game?

They should have just let you carry whatever the hell you wanted and maybe only strict it by the number of weapons that can be carried, but you felt most of the game like Rambo without any shortage of fire power.

TEW does do a lot better job with the survival aspect, always feeling you are at the edge of your supply and try to save a bullet either by stealth or lure them to trap, using matches etc.

Part of me wishes they would go back and make re4 with these types of controls and make it more survival and less actiony. Fantastic game the way it is though.
You and me both, i think it's a great game, but i would have like it even more if it retained some of its survival horror identity, I still think RE4 should have been under a different name.
TEW in a RE theme with a better engine and more polish (and maybe toning down a little some of the action set pieces) could be amazing and the evolution the series needed.

-MD-

I even think that in RE4 item management wasn't necessary and they could left that out, it's really more of an action game and the survival aspect is pretty much non existent when it comes to short supply, so why did they put a survival system inside an action game?

They should have just let you carry whatever the hell you wanted and maybe only strict it by the number of weapons that can be carried, but you felt most of the game like Rambo without any shortage of fire power.

TEW does do a lot better job with the survival aspect, always feeling you are at the edge of your supply and try to save a bullet either by stealth or lure them to trap, using matches etc.

I don't even understand why RE4 has an inventory, you can pack as much shit into it as you want. I seriously rolled around with 4 guns and like 2 dozen herbs, nades and ammo boxes for days.

People praise it but it's honestly pretty dumb.

I'd take that, half because it'd make it a better game and half to watch people bitch about it.

Welp, now I'm confused.

Why can I still only see Normal and Survival difficulties? I wanted to do an Akuma run next.

Edit: Never mind, I get it. Why can't I access the two new difficulties through New Game Plus though?

Top Bottom