• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

"Having trouble with" isn't the right description really. Playing and watching others play has reinforced my thoughts that the game is basically rotten at its core (the fundamentals of combat), and has a lot of really poor ancillary design (level design, specific enemy design) to boot. In many ways I'm stunned this came directly from Mikami, instead of being something he just influenced, like Shadows of the Damned.

It's a game that encourages you to be smart and not just "shoot da gun", it's no surprise many people on youtube aren't used to it. And because of weapon economics, it also requires a certain long term investment in resource gathering and allocation.

is anyone else just a total sucker for these weapon economies? i mean, come on! i want to just put this weapon economy into every game. i just wish there was a roleplaying game with upgrades i sought so compulsively.

I love it as well, brain juice is fine, but there's something more satisfying with picking up a big fat gem stone in RE4/5.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
It's a game that encourages you to be smart and not just "shoot da gun", it's no surprise many people on youtube aren't used to it. And because of weapon economics, it also requires a certain long term investment in resource gathering and allocation.

I love it as well, brain juice is fine, but there's something more satisfying with picking up a big fat gem stone in RE4/5.

yeah, the different treasures were nice. probably a concession to thematic consistency in the case of TEW.

560Ti + 2500k 8GBRAM here:

Playthough Survival mode:

Played the demo, cut out all the effects and dropped the res to 720p to maintain a 60fps playthrough. Good lord, the performance is horrendous dropping to the 20's simply by rotating the camera at the fucking indoor area! But let's talk about the game experience.

I can say after finishing the first few chapters pretty much gave me a realistic expectation what I would see in the full game. First off, the stealth mode can be a little tacky when the chainsaw dude was able to pinpoint me behind the crates causing a few deaths. Not exactly an issue for the undead. As for the entire gameplay (demo) experience? Good. Not bad. Not normal. Just good.

Personally, I believe the game's level design is definitely an evolution of Bio4, providing a more wide-linear aspect than it's predecessors. But, I feel that the game's scope is definitely held back by last-gen hardware since the gameplay is just not as polished as Bio4. Collisions, animations hearken way back to the Gamecube days and I was hoping that a better RD/Inverse-kinematics should set the standard by the very least in this generation. There's frame jitters despite having the frame-rate "locked" which really annoyed me. Pulling it down to 30fps made it even worse.

Contextual environmental interaction is also a hit-and-miss. Trying to disarm a bomb or pulling a lever can be so tedious when you have to be in that "right" spot. I was hoping for a more organic approach especially considering the dev-time.

With that being said, I think the gunplay, thrill factor and theme all comes together in this game. There are moments where I can definitely feel the tension even within sneaking parts of the undead. Not once did I feel tempted to dash ahead like most other 3rd person games, taking all the time I need to access the environment which is reminiscent to it's older contemporary. Black bars didn't bother me as much since I understand what they were going for but a wider FOV should've been compensated instead.

Surprisingly, it feels very familiar to TLOU without the polish. Pity, I would've loved to see this game being made without wearing the dev team thin on cross-gen limitations built on an intuitive engine at that because it seems like the game doesn't have the same focus as I would expect from a Mikami game.

That being said, it's a definite buy but only after I upgrade my hardware. Playing at 720p was tolerable but I need that solid 60fps before I can truly get the maximum enjoyment out of it.

Mohasus

So uh, about chapter 5:

Is there an easy way to kill those invisible enemies? Usually I notice a door opening or an object moving and try to shoot there, then follow up with melee attacks, but I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Also, the enemy alertness icon removes some of the tension from the game.

So uh, about chapter 5:

Is there an easy way to kill those invisible enemies? Usually I notice a door opening or an object moving and try to shoot there, then follow up with melee attacks, but I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Also, the enemy alertness icon removes some of the tension from the game.

Fire a flash bolt and stealth kill them

You can turn off the alertness indicator

was finally able to finish the game, good god it is all over the place. i understand mixing up the gameplay to keep the game fresh, but it became too similar to the modern Resident Evil games near the end, especially at the very end when
you're shooting twenty rpg's at Ruvik
wtf was that??

i was expecting a more pure survival horror game.

end game stats: 17 hour play time, 70 deaths in total. some of those were from those cheap wire traps and when i purposefully killed myself to try an area again.

Neff

So dont horde matches, got it. Lol I was probably going to end up with a ton.

EDIT: Personally I think Chapter 2 and 3 should have been the same chapter. Seemed a little early to split things.

Yeah I advise bumping up your max match count early. It's cheap and they're incredibly useful, especially in conjunction with leg shots or the electric bolt.

was finally able to finish the game, good god it is all over the place. i understand mixing up the gameplay to keep the game fresh, but it became too similar to the modern Resident Evil games near the end, especially at the very end when
you're shooting twenty rpg's at Ruvik
wtf was that??

i was expecting a more pure survival horror game.

It's essentially a RE game, and RE defined and to this day personifies Survival Horror. TEW is as pure Survival Horror as you can get.

Skyzard

Banned
^ Good point, I'm going to upgrade that next.

Matches are awesome for getting a whole bunch caught but you have to be a bit lucky and also time it right when they approach someone that is knocked down and available to be lit.

Fire a flash bolt and stealth kill them

You can turn off the alertness indicator

I played the entire game and didnt even KNOW there was an alertness indicator lol

Also, anyone seen this about getting a free copy of Call of Cthulu for new & existing owners of TEW?
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-evil-within-gets-a-demo-owners-get-free-copy-of-call-of-cthulhu/

Oh and also, the new widescreen patch fucks over us 16:10 users, yet again. Removes the huge black bars, but adds smaller ones. Yay.

Montresor

I just started the game and I am extremely pleased and completely blown away. In Chapter 2, when I set climbed out of the burning vehicle and stepped foot in the dark, brooding forest, I was terrified. The atmosphere in this game is beautiful. I was really really impressed with the way Mikami weaved in the low rumbling of thunder into the quiet forest.

Cudder

I'm not sure if I should start a new game on a higher difficulty or do a new game + and try to max out all of the upgrades for the trophies.

Do you get more green gel on easy?

I'm really struggling to get into this game (which is a shame as I'm normally a nut for everything Mikami). Only on chapter 3, does it get any better than this? The enemy AI is so dumb. They start chasing me and then all of a sudden stop for no reason and for some reason don't seem to set off the bombs, yet if I move a muscle near them (without sneaking) they blow up in my face. Really want to power on with this game but at the moment feel like using it as a frisbee.

Xpliskin

Holy shit they released a PC demo.

Pete Hines : "I lied" (commando schwarzenegger reference)

EDIT:

PC demo - It's real

store.steampowered.com/app/268050/

I'm really struggling to get into this game (which is a shame as I'm normally a nut for everything Mikami). Only on chapter 3, does it get any better than this? The enemy AI is so dumb. They start chasing me and then all of a sudden stop for no reason and for some reason don't seem to set off the bombs, yet if I move a muscle near them (without sneaking) they blow up in my face. Really want to power on with this game but at the moment feel like using it as a frisbee.

Yeah, chapter 1 sucks and chapter 2 is really slow. 3 is where the game will start to pick up and it gets a lot better from there IMO. The zombie AI should be pretty dumb. I mean, they are zombies. Besides that, this game is built around limited ammo. So, you need the ability to run away from enemies. However, you'll still get your fill of persistent enemies if you keep playing.

As for the traps, the only ones that can be used against common enemies are the tripwires IIRC. I found defusing them to be a nightmare, so I snuck past all of them. It isn't really hard to do. If you hear a bomb start beeping, just start sneaking.

Yeah, chapter 1 sucks and chapter 2 is really slow. 3 is where the game will start to pick up and it gets a lot better from there IMO. The zombie AI should be pretty dumb. I mean, they are zombies. As for the traps, the only ones that can be used against common enemies are the tripwires IIRC. So, just do your best to sneak past all of the bombs. If you hear them start to beep, just hit the sneak button. That'll stop them from exploding.

I understand that, just figured that the traps were there to use tactically in order to save what very little ammo you do have. Also, there's being dumb and then there's just standing there sometimes, and attacking you other times. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of collision detection and the clipping is awful. Guess I'll just have to keep going and see if it gets any better.

I understand that, just figured that the traps were there to use tactically in order to save what very little ammo you do have. Also, there's being dumb and then there's just standing there sometimes, and attacking you other times. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of collision detection and the clipping is awful. Guess I'll just have to keep going and see if it gets any better.

I think that was the original intent with the traps, but it seems to have been abandoned somewhere during development. Probably in favor of the crossbow.

Yeah, I do recall finding a couple of enemies in the early game that just kinda stood there and stared at me. I don't remember any from chapter 5 and onwards though. Then again, I also didn't encounter any "awful clipping".

I think I'm going nuts. Second playthrough, and I didn't get the scene/encounter with Jimenez's brother early-game? Is that part optional?

Yep, super optional.

I won't get much better I'm afraid. From Mikami nut to Mikami nut: This game is a trainwreck.

I think that was the original intent with the traps, but it seems to have been abandoned somewhere during development. Probably in favor of the crossbow.

Yeah, I do recall finding a couple of enemies in the early game that just kinda stood there and stared at me. I don't remember any from chapter 5 and onwards though. Then again, I also didn't encounter any "awful clipping".

That's a shame. Would of added another layer to the gameplay. Tbf the clipping I was referring to was mostly in chapter 1 when the guy with chainsaw was having his way with me. I'll keep going and hope for the best but can't help thinking this game only feels around 80% complete.

I know reviews have been sort of mixed with this game but what is the general consensus of it in the gaming community? How does it compare to the Resident Evil games?

EDIT - I will admit that I haven't read this thread much because I don't want to be spoiled on the game.

-MD-

I know reviews have been sort of mixed with this game but what is the general consensus of it in the gaming community? How does it compare to the Resident Evil games?

It's a love/hate it game, I personally loved it. It has REmake and RE4 influences but it feels like its own game.

Folks that hated it are still hanging around in the OT so you'll get some "omg it's so bad" responses, my advice is to give it a try and see what you think.

It's not, really. It just has a bad story and a few very weak chapters.
But it really is. The game has vastly incoherent level design, questionable design decisions and the most idiotic storyline. Now, even if I set aside the obviously missing polish there is no way in hell Mikami intended it to be like this given the quality of his past games.

I do not accept that the same person who vastly limited my weapon stock in his former games due to obvious reasons now lets me have all the weapons and upgrade them. Because the former person (doing RE and RE4) understood how horror games work best, the latter didn't. Something has obviously gone terribly wrong during the development of this game. I think the state the game is in it would have been a new RE 1.5 that Mikami screwed back in the days because it didn't work.

It's a love/hate it game, I personally loved it. It has REmake and RE4 influences but it feels like its own game.

Folks that hated it are still hanging around in the OT so you'll get some "omg it's so bad" responses, my advice is to give it a try and see what you think.

That just makes me more interested in it.

How long does the game take to beat?

EDIT - I will admit that I haven't read this thread much because I don't want to be spoiled on the game.

The game definitely has flaws, but I really like it.

As for how it compares to RE, it has more action than RE4, and more horror than RE5 and RE6.

That just makes me more interested in it.

How long does the game take to beat?

There is a solid consensus of 15 hours.

That's a shame. Would of added another layer to the gameplay. Tbf the clipping I was referring to was mostly in chapter 1 when the guy with chainsaw was having his way with me. I'll keep going and hope for the best but can't help thinking this game only feels around 80% complete.

You can shoot the proximity bombs when enemies are nearby to save ammo.

I think it's basically like RE4 but you have to put more thought into the encounters which makes it also a bit slower.

It takes around 15-20 hours to beat depending on how thoroughly you explore your surroundings.

I think I'll download the game and try it out.

If I like what I see than I buy it during Steam Sale.

One more question: Are the first three chapters (the demo) representative of the final game?

One more question: Are the first three chapters (the demo) representative of the final game?

Not really, it only really starts off with chapter 3 and gets mostly more and more action-oriented, especially in the last third. So if you like chapter 3 more than the previous ones, it's a good indication that you might also like the rest of the game. On the other hand, I think it needs a little more to get used to the combat mechanics than just that chapter.

RE4 has like over double the amount of enemies than TEW.

As I recall, you can run past most of the enemies in RE4. TEW has a habit of locking you in a room and making you kill enemies to unlock the door. Even still, I guess I'm misremembering the enemy count in RE4. I should play it again.

Xpliskin

Where's your avatar !? DLC is not out yet.

Chapter 3 is the closest thing to the rest of the game. If you like that, you'll probably like the full thing.

There's barely any gameplay in ch1, it's more of a story and tone set up.

Ch2 has lots of gameplay, but it's heavily stealth focused, which the rest of the game isn't (though you can employ stealth to some capacity all the way until the end of the game).

Nemmy

As for the traps, the only ones that can be used against common enemies are the tripwires IIRC.

Beartraps, too. You can also shoot bombs while they pass them by (obviously).

It feels like a gorier RE4 revisited. Unlike RE4, it's undeniably flawed in many aspects, but I really loved playing it from start to finish and started an ng+ immediately after beating it. But there's lots of people out there who really hate it, so I'd say the only way to see if it's for you is to play it yourself. It's a very polarizing game for some reason.

-MD-

Chapter 1 and 2 are very stealth focused and no later chapter is pure stealth like those are, but stealth does remain viable in at least 6 or 7 chapters (out of 15). Chapter 3 is a slice of everything the game has to offer, if you're not feeling the game by the end of chapter 3 it's gonna be a tough sell.

Those first 3 chapters are honestly some of my favorites, it's crazy when I see people say they consider them to be some of the worst.

Your character mechanics wise? Quite so.

Level design and monster encounter wise? Not even close.

I think I'm going nuts. Second playthrough, and I didn't get the scene/encounter with Jimenez's brother early-game? Is that part optional?

According to the trophy guide it actually is missable, no idea how though as I thought it's part of the main plot.

But it really is. The game has vastly incoherent level design, questionable design decisions and the most idiotic storyline. Now, even if I set aside the obviously missing polish there is no way in hell Mikami intended it to be like this given the quality of his past games.

No it's not, the level design intent are quite obvious and the story line has that bit of Souls series intrigue that is hidden behind documents, though the main story is quite easily understandable for anyone paying attention

I do not accept that the same person who vastly limited my weapon stock in his former games due to obvious reasons now lets me have all the weapons and upgrade them. Because the former person (doing RE and RE4) understood how horror games work best, the latter didn't. Something has obviously gone terribly wrong during the development of this game. I think the state the game is in it would have been a new RE 1.5 that Mikami screwed back in the days because it didn't work.

Well considering how much others have problems with understanding the basic of combat I willing to bet that limiting weapons would not be a better experience.

I refuse to accept that games need to go back to the bullshit era of minimum combat mechanics that was only minimal because of technology reasons. This middle ground that Mikami achieved with just the right amount of power needed to overcome odds is what I've been looking for. Although this kind of style requires more intelligent playstyle and adaptive skills which led to the problems half the people have.

On the other hand, you could just shoot around you much more carelessly in RE4 even if you weren't able to carry all your weapons in your inventory at the same time. So I don't know if horror worked much better back then. RE(make) is a whole different kind of beast though, but it's also a completely different kind of game.

we need a sequel that refines the formula here and really expands on that badass crossbow.

This, they need to make the crossbow more integral because there's so much potential to be use in both combat, exploration and puzzle solving. It's like having Batman's utility belt, or I assume like the arrows in Thief.

I wouldn't mind if the role of grenades and traps is being completely replaced by those bolts.

Nemmy

According to the trophy guide it actually is missable, no idea how though as I thought it's part of the main plot.

You don't even have to go into the house he's in. As you walk by, Leslie runs screaming into another one, so I guess some people might forget to check it out.

Or be like me and NOPE the fuck out of his basement before triggering the cutscene.

You don't even have to go into the house he's in. As you walk by, Leslie runs screaming into another one, so I guess some people might forget to check it out.

Or be like me and NOPE the fuck out of his basement before triggering the cutscene.

I did it by accident, I guess. Annoying, because I'm pretty sure you get a statue there.

Top Bottom