• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Akumu has been defeated. It is done.

Forgot to tweet my game clear screen like a moron, but it took about 20 hours and I think I died just about 400 times.

The Evil Within is a fantastic experience on survival difficulty, since minor mistakes generally aren't that costly. Unfortunately, the game's handling is a bit too clumsy to punish the player with one hit kills. The game feels loose to a degree where a safety net feels necessary. I don't feel like I wasted my time, but it was often frustrating in a way that very precise handling games like RE4 and Vanquish aren't.

Gonna come back for the plat later. Gotta get to Bayonetta 2 before CoD drops.

Beat chapter 8 on Akumu and even got the item management trophy.

Chapter 10 as a whole and the chapter 14 boss seem like the only really tough parts left.

Might finish it up this weekend if I'm feeling it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Akumu has been defeated. It is done.

Forgot to tweet my game clear screen like a moron, but it took about 20 hours and I think I died just about 400 times.

The Evil Within is a fantastic experience on survival difficulty, since minor mistakes generally aren't that costly. Unfortunately, the game's handling is a bit too clumsy to punish the player with one hit kills. The game feels loose to a degree where a safety net feels necessary. I don't feel like I wasted my time, but it was often frustrating in a way that very precise handling games like RE4 and Vanquish aren't.

Gonna come back for the plat later. Gotta get to Bayonetta 2 before CoD drops.

Yeah, the game really doesn't some tuned properly for a one hit kill mode. Though since it looks like they basically took Nightmare and added that on top, I should be fine with that mode.

Yeah, the game really doesn't some tuned properly for a one hit kill mode. Though since it looks like they basically took Nightmare and added that on top, I should be fine with that mode.

breh you missed the finale

its ok

I feel like I should comment on difficulty. On a scale of Kirby's Dream Land to Vanquish Tactical Challenge 6, Akumu mode is a Call of Duty: World at War.

Would you say 11 is harder or easier?

Way harder. The shutter fight is pure hell, the gondola is very tricky, and any of the other numerous encounters can go bad in a heartbeat.

12 and 15 are also very rough. 14 boss is insanely hard. But I honestly feel like I'm really bad at this game, so you can probably do it.

Papercuts

its ok

I feel like I should comment on difficulty. On a scale of Kirby's Dream Land to Vanquish Tactical Challenge 6, Akumu mode is a Call of Duty: World at War.

I missed every stream after the lol dog. Weird ass stream times maaaan.

WaW is the only CoD I attempted and beat on veteran. I got every achievement in the game except that one to down 45 planes or something in that one level. I could beat that horseshit campaign but not that. :|

its ok

Easily the hardest COD on veteran. Still haven't tried Akumu mode but I will later. I got COD + Bayo 2 on the way as well as already have with me here Sunset Overdrive as well as Lords of the Fallen. So many fucking games.

The problem with Akumu is that the player literally has zero invincibility frames. You're completely exposed when lighting matches, and the haunted laugh at your long ass flash sneak kill animation and will judo kick your head off during it.

Stuff like the random flailing enemies do while on the ground also kill you in one hit, making lighting them up a crap shoot. Not to mention random bear traps, or those weird deformed baby things.

The in-game description was right; this really is pure fucking hell.

I missed every stream after the lol dog. Weird ass stream times maaaan.

I thought you stayed up all night until like 5AM every day?

Easily the hardest COD on veteran. Still haven't tried Akumu mode but I will later. I got COD + Bayo 2 on the way as well as already have with me here Sunset Overdrive as well as Lords of the Fallen. So many fucking games.

Oh man

Burn 'Em Out
Blowtorch and fucking Corkscrew
Heart of the Reich Flak 88s

That shit was so difficult, holy crap

Papercuts

I thought you stayed up all night until like 5AM every day?

Oh man

Burn 'Em Out
Blowtorch and fucking Corkscrew
Heart of the Reich Flak 88s

That shit was so difficult, holy crap

...well shit, I do.

but bayonetta 2 beckoned.

And yes. I died so many goddamn times on Heart of the Reich but I was so close to the end I was broken spiritually.

So is there an unlockable mode after the campaign a la Mercenaries or something similar? Something fun that could last just as long--if not longer--than campaign?

I still haven't played the game but I'm super curious about the above.

Sadly, nothing like that. There is NG+ and weapon unlocks, but I do think the game would work fine in a Merc type setting so I wish it was here.

-MD-

The problem with Akumu is that the player literally has zero invincibility frames. You're completely exposed when lighting matches, and the haunted laugh at your long ass flash sneak kill animation and will judo kick your head off during it.

Stuff like the random flailing enemies do while on the ground also kill you in one hit, making lighting them up a crap shoot. Not to mention random bear traps, or those weird deformed baby things.

Yeah I'm not dealin with that shit, was playin Nightmare earlier and this happened.

24b551.gif

He barely even entered an attack animation.The game just isn't designed around something like akumu. Every other mode works though because there is room for error like this.

Also I hate these popup icons, tried turning them on for this playthrough and boy are they annoying.

but bayonetta 2 beckoned.

Really want to start it now but I need to cool down. TEW got me all bothered.
Hands were shaking so bad from killing the two ch15 Keepers and they stayed that way through the stealth section.
Still kinda on a high. Akumu may be pretty bullshit, but no other game's made me feel that way for a long time.

Really want to start it now but I need to cool down. TEW got me all bothered.
Hands were shaking so bad from killing the two ch15 Keepers and they stayed that way through the stealth section.
Still kinda on a high. Akumu may be pretty bullshit, but no other game's made me feel that way for a long time.

As much as Akumu is making me hate myself, when things go smoothly, there are very few games that give me a feeling of satisfaction as TEW.

Just beat Ch.7, since I've only been able to be in a chapter or two here and there.

Thought's thus far:

• I'm not sure if it's the bars, the grain, the fps dips, tv, or all of the above, but moving in the game makes me get that pre-headache feeling.
  • Mechanics are a bit rough, from bullets still landing outside the reticule despite what upgrades I use or how still I am to contexual actions not being accessible despite being in the proper position. In short, the game is lacking polish.
  • As rough as the supporting cast look, Sebastian's model looks wonderful. Could say the same for most of the enemies, even if looking at them isn't a wise option.
  • All but one of the boss encounters I feel have been handled fairly well. The exception?
    Ch.6's hound fight. The continuous charge attack is ridiculous in that the player doesn't have the maneuverability to avoid it, nor is there enough ground to put between to really interupt it with particular Agony bolts. To get through the encounter I found myself in a position where I felt I was 'cheating' by stunning the beast in the bushes prior to its attack. Finally, the second, optional round the distraction mechanic was broken to where no matter the distance or how active the partner was, the hound 90% of the time would not back off.
    Hopefully that will remain to be the exception to the rest of the encounters in the game.
  • The weapons feel good and the game seems to do well in providing just enough to keep you going, even if you do run low.
  • Environmental mechanics are great, though the bomb disarm mini-game seems a bit inconsistent. Sort of wish enemies could trigger them too instead of having to shoot them to use them offensively (whatever happened to the mines shown in the old demos?).
  • Animation work is pretty bad all around. Maybe some of the nuances in the reloading animations or bosses is lost on me, but the rest still remains to be incredibly stiff or odd. Bouncy Sebastian included.
  • While they may be coupled with other things to cause the prior mentioned headache issues, black bars continue to not be an annoyance. Worst offense is if breaking a box and can't initially see what is in it.
  • However, not sure I like the ever changing FOV. Sometimes it's tight in, sometimes it's not, and it doesn't always seem to be consistent with the demands of the environment.
  • Still too early to say anything about the story, which at this point is next to non-existant outside the vague hints of Sebastian's past and Ruvik's personal problems. Nothing has really gotten me invested in the way things were set up in REmake, which was a far more bare set-up.
  • Speaking of REmake, the documents thus far are absolutely terrible. Little context and no real sense of world building effort in them. Something that sadly seems to be the trend of such games as of late.
  • Weapons feel pretty good and good enemy feedback most of the time.
  • So far not digging the shifts and throwback stuff in the game. The shifts in gameplay don't make much sense, and felt like the game would have been much better being itself than throwbacks to Mikami's past work. Which is a bit ironic since Ch. 3 has been one of my favorites. Ch. 7, despite being a bit boring with little atmospher to make up for it, was oddly another due to how much emphasis it put on the environment versus your weapons.

Overall I'm still enjoying it very much, but I have to wonder what happened in development for this to be so janky and, well, kind of soulless at this third-way point.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Just to state, things that were shown early in the game's demo videos, mentioned in early demo builds and previews, that didn't actually end up in the final game:

-The trap system was scrapped and replaced with the Agony Crossbolt (the trap we knew Sebastian could make were mines he could stick to walls that would trigger with enemies near).

-The cabin fight scene shown in the first gameplay footage we have of the game never actually happens. The location is still in the game, but the events that happen there are very different (the house in chapter 4 where you first meet
the invisible enemies.

-An early preview described a sequence with the Keeper where he chased you down prison halls and you closed vault doors on him, and he would reform at nearby safes... Which happens in the game, but the scenario specifically described sounds different than how its handled in the final.

-There was an area described of Sebastian going down a highway road with fountains of water spurting up, enemies with the gun on the highway road, and parts of the highway falling off, ultimately you would go down in the water and fight
Shigyo.
This whole part of the game seems to be missing in the final game as it never happens, and you never end up fighting
Shigyo

Just some things I noticed.

abracadaver

-There was an area described of Sebastian going down a highway road with fountains of water spurting up, enemies with the gun on the highway road, and parts of the highway falling off, ultimately you would go down in the water and fight
Shigyo.
This whole part of the game seems to be missing in the final game as it never happens, and you never end up fighting
Shigyo

Sounds like DLC

BeeDog

Man, New Game + is tons of fun, especially when you're decently/fully upgraded and run through some of the chapters on 'Casual'. Didn't even think grinding in The Evil Within could be so addicting.

Chapter 10 boss question (spoilers):

Is it possible to kill Laura before reaching the room right before the elevator? I stuck tons of lvl. 5 flame harpoons into her, but it didn't seem to do jack shit until I got to that room and started blasting her with shotgun shells during her burning animation.

the first chapter felt like a glorified pacman somehow. first i was scared to shits and grossed out but then the abstraction kicked in and the chainsaw man looked like a ghost and the elevator like a pill. somehow the level was a very straight forward thing after that.

the "real game" feels a lot better. a good mix of MGS/RE4 with a sprinkle of silent hill atmosphere.

Mohonky

Hence I wouldnt even be bothered trying Akuma. The game is also really janky, I got done a number of times by one hit kill enemies because I got stuck on something or some weird shit happen I wasnt able to escape from. I thought well there are so many one hit kill enemies there arent a lot of places I can see Akuma being a problem then I thought more about it and realised actually no, the game is too busted to believe I would get a proper shot at some places.

I also had a provlem with the shooting / melee / burn situation. It worked so much better in RE4 and 5. I often times deliberately went for leg shots or arm shots to criple enemies, but it wasnt a real consistent thing in this game.

I enioyed the game over all and actually really liked the stealth mechanic, I thought that was very cool, but when it came down to shooting it never felt as consistent or rewarding as the RE titles.

Kind of a game that is better than the sum of its parts. Technically its an ugly mess. It was a resource hog on the PC despite having some of the most horrendous textures and filters I have seen in years. Character movement and interaction was janky as shit, some shitty design decisions, far far to many one hit kill creatures, just general frustration at a number of little things. Yet, I still really enjoyed it quite a bit and marathoned the game in 2 or 3 sittings in the end. I wish New Game + allowed me to do the higher difficulties retaining my equipment and upgrades as I might have gone and jumped staight into nightmare but as it stands new game + seems useless because you can only repeat the same damn difficulty which doesnt seem as fun to me.

Chapters 2 and 3 I think were my favs, the barns and cottages / houses were my favourite design and worked really well, as did the Mansion actually but outside of that none of the other environments did a lot for me.

Man, New Game + is tons of fun, especially when you're decently/fully upgraded and run through some of the chapters on 'Casual'. Didn't even think grinding in The Evil Within could be so addicting.

Is it possible to kill Laura before reaching the room right before the elevator? I stuck tons of lvl. 5 flame harpoons into her, but it didn't seem to do jack shit until I got to that room and started blasting her with shotgun shells during her burning animation.

I killed her in the room right before the elevator. I don't know if you can do it before then. Took me about 40 trap parts on survival, but I did land some lvl5 harpoons in her before this section though, so some might be wasted.

Montresor

Congrats xtortionist, and any other gaffer that beats akumu. I think I will be good just with Survival. I'm planning one Survival playthrough and then a mopup on Casual to get missables or collectibles achievements.

The game is fun and beautifully atmospheric so far but I am a huge softie. I can only play 30 minutes at a time before the oppressive darkness becomes too much.

Yuterald

Yeah I'm not dealin with that shit, was playin Nightmare earlier and this happened.

24b551.gif

He barely even entered an attack animation.The game just isn't designed around something like akumu. Every other mode works though because there is room for error like this.

Also I hate these popup icons, tried turning them on for this playthrough and boy are they annoying.

Yeah, I've been running Akumu inbetween Bayonetta 2 sessions and it's a pretty ass-y mode, in my opinion. Can't tell you how many times I get the match prompt, I drop it, animation fully plays out, yet enemy still lives/gets up because their speed has been increased. Game DEFINITELY wasn't designed around a mode like this. I also just think it's not as interesting as say most battle game modes from previous survival horror/RE games. I enjoyed Real Survivor mode, Invisible Enemy mode, and the assortment of battle modes spanning from RE2 through Code Veronica over this one, so far. I think I even like Leech Hunter mode more from RE: Zero... =/

Would have taken a proper Mercs-like rip off mode over this junk-fest any day of the week.

Apdiddy

Just started with the game on Survival and....ugh.

The game does a poor job so far of explaining what you need to do, where you need to go, and what works to stay alive. I'm not expecting the game to hold my hand through every little thing, but a better explanation of objectives is great.

Hide in a locker....the chainsaw guy doesn't notice you. Go down the hall and hide in a different locker...and he knows you're there? What kind of shit is that?

I will beat this and eventually Platinum it, but so far I'm not too pleased.

You cannot.

Bladenic

I'm on chapter 14 and I'm ready for this game to end. Forcing myself to do it. Can't even really describe why. I went through 1-10 in 2 days, a week later and I only did 11-13.

Just started with the game on Survival and....ugh.

The game does a poor job so far of explaining what you need to do, where you need to go, and what works to stay alive. I'm not expecting the game to hold my hand through every little thing, but a better explanation of objectives is great.

That's pretty much what it means though.

Hide in a locker....the chainsaw guy doesn't notice you. Go down the hall and hide in a different locker...and he knows you're there? What kind of shit is that?

Did you ever noticed you're bleeding from your leg?

Game is just alright so far, such a stuttery mess though, and invisible facehuggers couldn't be less fun to fight.

Use Flashbolts and the environment, easy.

I'm on chapter 14 and I'm ready for this game to end. Forcing myself to do it. Can't even really describe why. I went through 1-10 in 2 days, a week later and I only did 11-13.

Burn out.

Loakum

Banned

same here. I'm on chapter 15, and I haven't touched this game in 5 days. I'm gonna eventually complete it, then trade it in, because I'm never gonna play this again.

Montresor

Can someone please help? I got through an early game section, and before I play any further I really need to know the following.

Do enemies I killed come back to life if I don't burn them? If yes, what's the time frame? It would have to be fast, no?

And, Do enemies that are already dead when I enter a room/area get back up on their own if I don't burn them?

Ive been terrified of leaving a newly-discovered corpse (aka a corpse that I did not kill) around so Ive been burning them. My heart couldn't take the potential sudden jump scare otherwise. But early on even after 5+ minutes I haven't seen any enemies that I've personally killed come back to life if I didn't burn them.

Is that the last time you see her though? I saw a video where a guy pumped her full of fire and rockets and she died. Even has an achievement for it I think.

You're at chapter ten right?

You'll get an achievement/trophy for killing her before the elevator. It's not easy, or resource cheap, but it's doable on your first playthrough. You have to make use of as many of the fire traps and burnable bodies in the final two areas before using half or more of your entire ammo reserve to kill her.

-MD-

I'm not expecting the game to hold my hand through every little thing, but a better explanation of objectives is great.

There's really not much the game could do outside of giving you way point or a box filled with text telling you to keep moving forward and not die.

Yeah, I've been running Akumu inbetween Bayonetta 2 sessions and it's a pretty ass-y mode, in my opinion. Can't tell you how many times I get the match prompt, I drop it, animation fully plays out, yet enemy still lives/gets up because their speed has been increased. Game DEFINITELY wasn't designed around a mode like this. I also just think it's not as interesting as say most battle game modes from previous survival horror/RE games. I enjoyed Real Survivor mode, Invisible Enemy mode, and the assortment of battle modes spanning from RE2 through Code Veronica over this one, so far. I think I even like Leech Hunter mode more from RE: Zero... =/

Would have taken a proper Mercs-like rip off mode over this junk-fest any day of the week.

Damn...

So has anyone done the 5 hour speed run?

Yuterald

So, I just got that dumb knife trophy in Chapter 3 on Akumu and I really made the game's AI look really stupid in the process. All I did was run in and out of a particular room with the dude tailing me, hide under some bed, let him run by me a bit after he enters the room, duck out, and knife from behind. Rinse and repeat. Felt and looked really stupid. Oh, and he was chainsawing me through walls occasionally too. Cool game. Chapter 4 up next.

Ramirez

Just started this last night, finished chapter 3. I like it ok, but some stuff really bugs me. The dude can't sprint for 5 seconds without stopping in game, but in cut scenes he's doing leaps and flips and shit, plowing through a horde of guys, lol.

The limping stealth to open the game wasn't very fun either. I paid too much to not soldier on, so here we go!

b0bbyJ03

I finished evil within on PC and played it at 30fps. I just saw the ps4 version and I noticed it looked so much smoother at the same fps. Has anyone else seen both and feel the same? Just making sure it's not in my head.

Top Bottom