• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dude one of those statues was just
tied to a rats back and I went up to and it ran away and It scared the fuck out of me.
LOL. this game.

Bebpo

Banned
Chapter 11 & 12 weren't as bad as I expected reading the impressions here. Actually 11 had one section that was pretty shitty
zombies with guns everywhere! :\ The opening/closing garage with sub-machine gun guy was pretty frustrating if out of grenades & and the elevator ride (though it was good practice for ch.12's stuck in a bus shooting gallery)

I actually liked 12 for one reason only...it was short! So many of these chapters drag on for like 60-90 mins and just drain you even if they're good because of the oppressive feeling of it all (and burn out from so many deaths in bad sections). Ch.12 had some dumb stuff but it was like 4 sections & 30 mins.

Have to say though, Ch.11 ate up so much of my ammo. Going into that chapter I had a ton of everything, now I'm cruising along with just 5-10 ammo of each weapon.

Spent all my upgrade cash on max level harpoons. Not really sure it was worth it so far as with normal grunts it seems like a waste to waste a flame harpoon on them and it doesn't help with groups (flash bolts or free bolts still the best for those w/my build). I can see it being useful for non-boss big enemies, but haven't fought any of those in a bit
last time I saw the hook guys was ch.11 stealth section where you can't use weapons because of the gas.

I've got Shotgun lvl.4, Harpoon bolt max, flash bolt lvl.4, pistol crit max, run lvl.4, and stock is good on all items. Not sure what I should spend my upgrade gel on for the remaining chapters in the game. Probably going to get that last shotgun damage level for 28,000 and then I guess start
upgrading the magnum?

Also zombies w/guns is as bad as Ninja Gaiden 2's enemies with rocket launchers. Just a really dumb idea in a game where damage is easily taken and life restoration is rare, chip damage from sub-machine guns is annoying. If it wasn't for gun zombies I'd be down to play on the post-game higher difficulty levels, but I can't imagine playing one hit death mode with zombies are spraying bullets everywhere.

As an aside, I feel like this game was reaaaaaaaaaaally inspired by Dark Souls. There's so much about the level design that feels like Mikami wanted to take RE4 and mix it with DS gameplay design, but he doesn't do it all that well.

Still like it though, just a very bumpy ride so far.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
PC players: is there any way to fix the FOV since the latest patch? Flawless Widescreen no longer works. I want to finish the game, but I can't continue with the narrow FOV that the game offers by default.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn... not even the cheat engine solution works to change the FOV anymore. The Evil Within just crashes on me when I try to enable the FOV fix.

As an aside, I feel like this game was reaaaaaaaaaaally inspired by Dark Souls. There's so much about the level design that feels like Mikami wanted to take RE4 and mix it with DS gameplay design, but he doesn't do it all that well.

In what way? I would have never made that connection and feel like it's a stretch.

Anyway, finished this last night. I don't do review scores, I just ask myself this question to evaluate a game: did I want more of it or was I happy it ended? With TEW, I was happy, no, thrilled that it ended. The less said about the final boss, the better. It was like something out of DMC. The story ended about as satisfyingly as I expected (not at all). I just can't get over how generic the characters in this game are and how bad the writing and voice acting was.

My other big disappointment was the lack of puzzles and open areas. Chapter 3 was fantastic because there were so many ways to approach the situation. It was like a mini sandbox. Warning to anyone who plays the new demo and buys it based on the strength of Chapter 3: There are basically no other levels like that. And I'm shocked that puzzles were even included as part of pre-release PR given how few there were.

But it still wasn't a bad game. If the worst third of TEW was cut from the game and the black bars were removed, it would have been a really fantastic 10-ish hour game, albeit one with a terrible story. As it is, the game overstayed its welcome for me. There are so many parts that seem like the developers thought they were being clever, but they're actually just annoying. Or maybe it was just a lack of focus and trying to create scenarios for levels/environments that were designed before the story was finished, but who knows? I don't regret that I played the game, just disappointed I didn't love it as much as I thought I would after the first few hours.

In what way? I would have never made that connection and feel like it's a stretch.

Anyway, finished this last night. I don't do review scores, I just ask myself this question to evaluate a game: did I want more of it or was I happy it ended? With TEW, I was happy, no, thrilled that it ended. The less said about the final boss, the better. It was like something out of DMC. The story ended about as satisfyingly as I expected (not at all). I just can't get over how generic the characters in this game are and how bad the writing and voice acting was.

My other big disappointment was the lack of puzzles and open areas. Chapter 3 was fantastic because there were so many ways to approach the situation. It was like a mini sandbox. Warning to anyone who plays the new demo and buys it based on the strength of Chapter 3: There are basically no other levels like that. And I'm shocked that puzzles were even included as part of pre-release PR given how few there were.

But it still wasn't a bad game. If the worst third of TEW was cut from the game and the black bars were removed, it would have been a really fantastic 10-ish hour game, albeit one with a terrible story. As it is, the game overstayed its welcome for me. There are so many parts that seem like the developers thought they were being clever, but they're actually just annoying. Or maybe it was just a lack of focus and trying to create scenarios for levels/environments that were designed before the story was finished, but who knows? I don't regret that I played the game, just disappointed I didn't love it as much as I thought I would after the first few hours.

I only played the demo on PC, after watching my brother play through it on PS4, but I still feel like despite it's shortcomings, it's a breath of fresh air.

Feels like the first big budget horror game in a long time that feels almost right.
Certainly more fun than RE6 anyway.

I agree it feels to be missing the mark in some ways. I honestly thought at first that the voice acting and writing were based on classic horror games that typically failed in that department. Now I'm not sure. I kind of like the cold nature of the characters (Joseph is cool just as he is), but I'm annoyed that the main character is basically Leon, voice and all. Wish he wasn't speaking in growly voice the whole time and sounded more normal or reserved like the other characters.. Except the Antagonist, whose voice on the tape recordings I was confused with for awhile.. he sounds A LOT like Sebastion.... Which I don't need to tell you is a problem. They both have a dumb growly, indistinguishable voice.

After diving into some story discussion, the plot went from incomprehensible to pretty cool... though while the concept of the plot is cool, it's mostly just a 'wild ride' to the end and there's nothing to hook you since you're probably confused from start to finish.

Spades

I've just started playing the game (on Xbox One) and I'm seriously wondering if there is a problem with textures not loading or something?

Is the game supposed to look like this?

1PLliEF.png

WEv7K4q.png

WAeC8hS.png

Is it just me or are some of these textures not loading properly?

Not uninstalled and reinstalled yet as I wanted to check that it's not supposed to look this terrible before I go through that whole process.

Please let me know!

Spades

I've just started playing the game (on Xbox One) and I'm seriously wondering if there is a problem with textures not loading or something?

1PLliEF.png

WEv7K4q.png

WAeC8hS.png

Not uninstalled and reinstalled yet as I wanted to check that it's not supposed to look this terrible before I go through that whole process.

Please let me know!

Another example:

39apTyS.png

Surely this isn't right?

jett

D-Member

1PLliEF.png

WEv7K4q.png

WAeC8hS.png

Please let me know!

Obviously not, something's going on with your hard drive, and it's not good.

1PLliEF.png

WEv7K4q.png

WAeC8hS.png

Please let me know!

Holy shit that's so fucked :lol

You've somehow discovered the true Evil Within.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Ok so I got to Chapter 5 and
I'm getting my ass kicked by Spiderchick. I hit her with the torch, blew up the barrel, lured her into both fire pits and she still hunts me down. I have no matches to get rid of the bodies she spawns from. How do I win?
lol

I'm getting my ass kicked by Spiderchick. I hit her with the torch, blew up the barrel, lured her into both fire pits and she still hunts me down. I have no matches to get rid of the bodies she spawns from. How do I win?
lol

I'm pretty sure two trips to the incinerator should do her in by itself. Are you sure she's falling in?

This game's performance on PS4 is horrendous. Frame drops constantly. The black bars are 10 times more annoying than I imagined.

It's a shame because the game is pretty fun. I wish they found a better publisher than Bethesda.

Saphirax

lol

There are two different incinerator rooms. Should be enough to kill her. Otherwise, there's two torches and two barrels as well.

kodecraft

This game's performance on PS4 is horrendous. Frame drops constantly. The black bars are 10 times more annoying than I imagined.

It's a shame because the game is pretty fun. I wish they found a better publisher than Bethesda.

Needed a better engine honestly, would loved to have seen the TEW dipped in Unreal!

I'm really curious how people are going to react to The Order: 1886's letterboxes after this OT. Especially since they're slightly larger in The Order.

Chapter 6 on Akumu took me four hours to get by today. Fucking hell.

Fortunately, other than the remaining bosses, I can't think of any other sections that would be worse than this.

Zabojnik

Finished with ~17h30min. Really enjoyed it. It's obviously not an instant classic or a RE4 for the new age, but overall I thought it was really well put together. Never too much of something (well, unless you count combat as a whole, I guess) and enough little twists on its own formula to keep me interested until the very end. The story was servicable, the presentation a mixed bag. Some of the imagery was brilliant though, as was the sound design. All in all, a good effort by Mikami.

Played on PC with Flawless Widescreen and FPS unlocked. Master race indeed.

Finished with ~17h30min. Really enjoyed it. It's obviously not an instant classic or a RE4 for the new age, but overall I thought it was really well put together. Never too much of something (well, unless you count combat as a whole, I guess) and enough little twists on its own formula to keep me interested until the very end. The story was servicable, the presentation a mixed bag. Some of the imagery was brilliant though, as was the sound design. All in all, a good effort by Mikami.

Played on PC with Flawless Widescreen and FPS unlocked. Master race indeed.

YES ZABO

Another example:

39apTyS.png

Surely this isn't right?
Some of the glitches are bonkers. I've had Zombies bounce around rooms instead of falling to the floor and there was this one room in the sewers with no textures like your pics, but also with the bonus that the audio just went dead. No footsteps, water drops, zombie moans. No sound. Nothing.
I thought my TV had bit the bullet...but when I walked just outside that area, the audio kicked right back in. Maybe the game has insanity effects and they just forgot to tell people in the press releases and manual?

Ack, I just don't understand how they thought this FOV was good. It's so weird trying to play this after Flawless Widescreen and their FOV adjustment.

So is there an unlockable mode after the campaign a la Mercenaries or something similar? Something fun that could last just as long--if not longer--than campaign?

I still haven't played the game but I'm super curious about the above.

KDC720

Finished the game earlier tonight. Took me about 16 hours with around 130 deaths.

I enjoyed it a lot overall, certainly satisfied an itch I've had since Dead Space 1 and 2, however, there are some technical issues that do drag the game down, and some chapters are far weaker than others. Highly recommend it in the end though.

I'm still trying to piece the story together though, there are a lot of hints and sequel set ups towards the end, but I still can't really wrap my head around it.

tazz3

I just saw a video on you tube of this game the chain saw guy chasing the guy this game looks awesome anybody pick it up yet??

Top Bottom