• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

-MD-

Just started this last night, finished chapter 3. I like it ok, but some stuff really bugs me. The dude can't sprint for 5 seconds without stopping in game, but in cut scenes he's doing leaps and flips and shit, plowing through a horde of guys, lol.

The limping stealth to open the game wasn't very fun either. I paid too much to not soldier on, so here we go!

You can upgrade your sprint.

I finished evil within on PC and played it at 30fps. I just saw the ps4 version and I noticed it looked so much smoother at the same fps. Has anyone else seen both and feel the same? Just making sure it's not in my head.

PS4's frames drop below 30 so it's in your head.

ss_lemonade

So I got to try the demo on steam and in the first few minutes of the game, why can't I get it stable at 60 fps? Is this the reason why they initially put a 30fps lock and letterboxed the game, because using those seem to be the only way to get a high and/or stable framerate. With a 780 and a 3570k, I thought I would have been able to play this at 60 fps (unless this game demands faster hardware T_T)

-MD-

So I got to try the demo on steam and in the first few minutes of the game, why can't I get it stable at 60 fps? Is this the reason why they initially put a 30fps lock and letterboxed the game, because using those seem to be the only way to get a high and/or stable framerate. With a 780 and a 3570k, I thought I would have been able to play this at 60 fps (unless this game demands faster hardware T_T)

The game wasn't optimized for it, nobody can run it at that frame rate consistently.

Hoping they improve that with the next patch but for now I'd recommend sticking with a locked 30 and playing with a controller, game feels a lot better that way imo.

So on the last water section of ch11 on Akumu there aren't any bodies to shoot for distraction…

Dammit Mikami.

Edit:
Okay, got through it.

Hint: bottles.

Edit 2:
The mannequin factory on Akumu, oh God…

Edit 2:
The mannequin factory on Akumu, oh God…

my reaction

iuvITssNlBwCU.gif

People complained alot about Chapter 11, but I'm surprised nobody talked about that final area ^_^

Personally I like it, dark and tense and you can't shoot anything lol.

Well, I never tried using the crossbow in that area...

I didn't mind that area much. Honestly, I really like ch11 overall. One of my personal faves in the game.

my reaction

iuvITssNlBwCU.gif

More or less :lol

I finished ch12 now. This is the absolute pinnacle of bullshit. Every checkpoint took forever to get through.

I feel it's downhill from here though. Other than the ch14 boss, and the ch15 kill room, I can't think of anything too bad.

I'll try to get done with it this weekend.

I'm on chapter 14 and I'm ready for this game to end. Forcing myself to do it. Can't even really describe why. I went through 1-10 in 2 days, a week later and I only did 11-13.

It's funny, this is more or less how I feel. I got all the way to Chpt. 11 and kinda just quit. I was having a great time, but it just got a bit old for me. I know I need to finish TEW, but I just haven't brought myself to do it yet. Not sure why either, I didn't absolutely love this game, but I didn't hate it either, and by all means it's right up my alley. Maybe here soon I'll finish it.

putarorex

This has been one of the more frustrating games I've played in a while. The one-hit kill bosses are very annoying. I have had more fun with levels when there were a lot of sneaking and normal enemies. I even switched down to casual around Chapter 6 and still struggled with some of the chapters. I am finally on Chapter 15. I am looking forward to ending this.

Gurish

Chapter 11 was garbage indeed, I had so much fun during most of the game up until that point, does it get any better later on?
It was really tedious.

Insolitus

Banned
I was really enjoying this game up until the last part of chapter 10, and everything after that. Biggest drop in quality I've ever seen, with that said I hope the game gets a sequel because it had potential to be great.

Gurish

Chapter 11 was garbage indeed, I had so much fun during most of the game up until that point, does it get any better later on?
It was really tedious.

I was really enjoying this game up until the last part of chapter 10, and everything after that. Biggest drop in quality I've ever seen, with that said I hope the game gets a sequel because it had potential to be great.
I guess that's answering my question, had fun up until chapter 10 as well and than started to suffer through 11, hoped it would improve and chapter 11 was just a misstep :/

In my opinion it picks back up at CH13, CH12 is short so no worries.
Oh good to know, hope you are right :)

Insolitus

Banned
It picks back up at 13 but by that point the game's pretty much used up all it's best ideas and it just kind of drags on until the ending, which isn't very good.

Nemmy

People complained alot about Chapter 11, but I'm surprised nobody talked about that final area ^_^

Personally I like it, dark and tense and you can't shoot anything lol.

Well, I never tried using the crossbow in that area...

I tried a shockbolt, because I'm not smart.

But it's easily one of my favourite parts of the game, honestly. It was really tense.

They really didn't think this crossbow aiming through. Most of the time I can't even see where the arrow will land since the character+weapon block half of the screen.

I'm probably at endish chapter 6. I hope there will be some interesting enemy types soon since all it's been thus far is your basic RE4 villagers and
invisible variations of them... which are pretty lame since they are pretty nonaggressive. Also the spidergirl thingy was kinda wasted. The design is good and it certainly was a creepy enemy but it seems it had some real trouble hitting anything. You can run around it with absolutely no problem and it will never get anything done. Your basic enemy hordes are way more threatening.

One thing I don't really get is that sometimes I need to equip the crossbow and select specific ammo before I can pick up any more. It's not like you need to load an arrow before picking more either, it just needs to be selected for whatever reason.

just beat the infamous chapter 10 boss:
didn't even kill her, just ran around and looked for the switches to shoot.
only died twice, once due to the boss, the other due to
the room with the one random switch you have to shoot. i thought the game did a decent job of establishing the fire in the pipes --> shooting the nearest switch
without holding your hand too much. journalists these days just want games to hold their hands so they can get through the game quick enough to meet deadlines. i think the dark souls comparisons are appropriate in terms of some of the cheaper ways this game can kill you. but i think the checkpoints are pretty generous. I've never felt like i was low on ammo, and when i was i had plenty of parts to make agony bolts. right now i have over half health, 3 syringes, and 2 full med kits.

having said all that, i still haven't played the last 5 chapters, which seemed to be universally disliked. i still can't see them being so bad that the game is ruined for me. it really is the spiritual successor to RE4. it definitely has a lot of flaws, but nothing that's killed the experience for me. i actually think the horror elements are even more well done than something like RE4. the sense of tension and dread in chapters 9 and 10 were fantastic.

jyoung188

I'm on chapter 14 and I'm ready for this game to end. Forcing myself to do it. Can't even really describe why. I went through 1-10 in 2 days, a week later and I only did 11-13.

Yeah I just finished chapter 14 last night and I'm getting burnt out on this game for sure, the trial and error cheap one hit kills are fucking frustrating. I was planning on replaying it right away after I finished it but I just can't. I'll pick it up in a year on a steam sale once I upgrade my pc, but this PS4 copy is going strait back to Gamefly once I get through the final chapter.

I guess that's answering my question, had fun up until chapter 10 as well and than started to suffer through 11, hoped it would improve and chapter 11 was just a misstep :/

Oh good to know, hope you are right :)
If you like to stealth, chapter 13 and 14 might be considerably better, as you can do that a lot in those.

Ch. 8 and 9 finished, to where there isn't much to add given the length of 8 and the majority of 9 having been showcased previously in demos (and covered well by Dusk Golem and others here).

One thing in Ch.9:
While frustrating, one of my favorite small moments was Ruvik being on the other side of a door I was opening to get away from him in one of his random Ch.9 appearances. Didn't appreciate the instant death it provided, but it was a nice shocking moment that had been lacking from the game thus far.

Could use some advice on how to beat the (boss) monster in the parking lot, in chapter 10.
Hide, freeze bolt, snipe his eyeball, run to other side of area, hide, freeze bolt, snipe his eyeball. Repeat until phase 2.

Phase 2: freeze + your weapon of choice (I used the shotgun). Try to hit the eyeball in his mouth for maximum damage.

Hide, freeze bolt, snipe his eyeball, run to other side of area, hide, freeze bolt, snipe his eyeball. Repeat until phase 2.

Phase 2: freeze + your weapon of choice (I used the shotgun). Try to hit the eyeball in his mouth for maximum damage.

i did this, but
i hid inside the two rooms. as long as he doesn't see you walk into them, you can hide in there to plan your next attack (and use the syringes available)

once phase 2 came out i didn't freeze or stun him, i just used a grenade and two explosive bolts right into his mouth. did the trick

Looking at this PS3/PS4 comparison video, the game does not look that bad on PS3, heck, in some occasions it looks better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu0XM1JwREM

Better than nothing for us poor people.

That's actually really interesting. The lobby looks really different, even the plant in the center is different!

And the textures aren't just lower res...they're entirely dissimilar to each other! Almost like they're from a beta.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Any PC players find a way to fix the FOV since the most recent patch? I've been searching every day on Google, but nothing is coming up. Seems like most people have moved on from this game, which is unfortunate.

Nemmy

That's actually really interesting. The lobby looks really different, even the plant in the center is different!

And the textures aren't just lower res...they're entirely dissimilar to each other! Almost like they're from a beta.

Call me crazy but I think Sebastian's coat looks WAY more realistic in the PS3 version - like an actual wet cloth and not a gamey "wet-looking" cloth.
Cool find with the textures by the way. I'm gonna miss that blood splatter under upside down Seb in ch 1 now lol.

Just beat the game on Survival. 14:08 hours and 58 deaths.

Really liked it. Interested to see what the story dlc is. Hope it isn't too stealth based. Mikami sure knows how to do combat in third-person shooters. None more satisfying headshots in games.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I've been enjoying the game but like chapter 9 until chapter 11 are rife with one hit kill zones. It's...really a questionable decision.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i just realized that im kind of already dying for a sequel.

the more i think about it, the more i realize how awesome this game would be with sequel-polish.

Chabbles

Finished chapter 5 last night, and im loving this game. no complaints apart from the framerate (PS4). man the framerate sucks, very seldom does it feel solid.

Ataraxia

I just started Chapter 9, and I'm still on the fence about this game. While reading this thread I would roll my eyes whenever people would complain about it (or any game) being difficult as if that's a bad thing, but then I get to a part where the camera fails me and due to the clunky nature of the controls I die for reasons not entirely on me - and that is cheap. It gets frustrating when I try to disarm a bear trap and wind up walking into it because the game doesn't recognize my hitting "x."

So I just have minor issues with it at this point but hopefully I really start enjoying it. Apparently there's a lot of varying opinions about the latter chapters.

Any PC players find a way to fix the FOV since the most recent patch? I've been searching every day on Google, but nothing is coming up. Seems like most people have moved on from this game, which is unfortunate.

I was using Flawless Widescreen- I really hope that got fixed. The patch borked it for me :/

Did you get to the chapter 14 boss? :3

Oh, I finished it on Akumu today.

Only died once on him due to those shitty worms killing you in one hit. 7 lv3 magnum shots, and a fully upgraded shotgun gave a swift to conclusion to our fight :lol

I did end up dying 445 times, and it took me 26 hours, so it wasn't a graceful run by any means ;_;

I immediately went to a random chapter on new game plus, fully upgraded my melee, equipped my brass knuckles, and went to fucking town. Sebastian literally blows off their heads with one superman punch. Felt absolutely cathartic after the shit I've went through. Melee will be my go to strategy whenever I get to doing my speed run.

SaitoH

Finished my first play through on survival:

19 hour 04 minutes
82 death

I tend to spend a lot of time looking around. *coughs*

Oh, I finished it on Akumu today.

Only died once on him due to those shitty worms killing you in one hit. 7 lv3 magnum shots, and a fully upgraded shotgun gave a swift to conclusion to our fight :lol

I was using my +20% magnum to one-shot Hooded Haunted up to that point so I only had 2 shots. Took both of those shots, 6 +240% harpoon shots, one +40% sniper shot, one incendiary bolt, and about 20 pistol shots to do the job.

Though with some wise shotgun usage on the maggots, I walked out of that fight with about 40 pistol rounds ;)

Top Bottom