• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Curufinwe

I finished mopping up all the trophies that don't take too much effort and now my % is up to 67.

There's a really good collectables guide on PSN Trophies but having to complete a chapter on NG+ to get any new collectables to save means I won't bother with that one.

Exodist

Going to start this soon! How's the scare factor compared to RE4-6? I hope it's not a huge jump...

The game has a lot of jump scares but not they're that great. Might make you jump once or twice. Its all about the sound design and atmosphere in this one which is pretty good in some places, other moments are similar to Resi 4 where the horror and scares are more because of the tense situations you'll find yourself in.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Chapter 7

faint.gif%257Ec200.gif

dat level

dat boss fight

using traps against the monsters :bow

btw I upgraded the harpoon damage to level 4 (last upgrade is quite expensive) and it packs quite a punch, the good thing about harpoons is that they are relative cheap to make (just require 2 parts to make) and the upgrade cost was very cheap.

Neiteio

Chapter 7

faint.gif%257Ec200.gif

dat level

dat boss fight

using traps against the monsters :bow

btw I upgraded the harpoon damage to level 4 (last upgrade is quite expensive) and it packs quite a punch, the good thing about harpoons is that they are relative cheap to make (just require 2 parts to make) and the upgrade cost was very cheap.
That Ch. 7 boss fight is downright oppressive the first time around. The room layout is actually quite simple, but the poison fog makes it hard to navigate under pressure. :)

Dalek

Finished it up tonight. I really liked this game. I considered playing again on NG+, but I thibk I might need a break from it. I think I could do a lot better this time around now that i know how to play the game.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I'm still at the beginning and can't get this game going. Still fighting with the controls.
At this part I try opening the gate and get jumped by a couple of monsters.
Any tips ?

The_Evil_Within_Chapter_2_Remnants_22-1024x576.jpg

-MD-

I'm still at the beginning and can't get this game going. Still fighting with the controls.
Any tips ?

Drop a match on the 2 enemies laying on the ground and turn the crank.

Done.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Drop a match on the 2 enemies laying on the ground and turn the crank.

Done.

Oh boy, maybe I'll just burn myself along for not thinking that.
Thanks man.

Curufinwe

Matches are a great way to save ammo. Shoot a monster in the leg till it falls over, then run up to it and drop a match to kill it.

Neiteio

Any tips ?

The_Evil_Within_Chapter_2_Remnants_22-1024x576.jpg
Looks like you're out of matches but you have the torch. Use it on the enemies lying on the ground near the switch. That should give you breathing room to do what you need to do.

The_Legacy

Neo Member
I walked into GAME today expecting to pick up a second hand copy, turns out the limited edition was the same price (£24.99)! Score! Just finished the first chapter and really enjoying it so far. Though I do wonder
how his leg healed so quickly after going up in the lift
. I hope at least that part is explained.

Neiteio

I walked into GAME today expecting to pick up a second hand copy, turns out the limited edition was the same price (£24.99)! Score! Just finished the first chapter and really enjoying it so far. Though I do wonder
how his leg healed so quickly after going up in the lift
. I hope at least that part is explained.
Let's just say things aren't quite as they seem, although you've probably already deduced that much ;-)

Terra

So...I had my first freeze + crash on PC :(.

Happened in chapter 3
when entering the house just to the right of the sniper zombie. The house with all the trap levers.

Still. This is the best game I have played for a long time!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
On chapter 11 currently. right now the now the big guy at the end of chapter 10 looks cartoonish next laura. There's something very unsettling about the way she moves and long hair covering her face that disturbs me in ways that no other monster has in a game for a long time. Superb design.

edit: I'm still in chapter 10, sorry. Anyway the boss guy of this chapter is the one I'm talking about.

Neiteio

On chapter 11 currently. right now the now the big guy at the end of chapter 10 looks cartoonish next laura. There's something very unsettling about the way she moves and long hair covering her face that disturbs me in ways that no other monster has in a game for a long time. Superb design.
Yeah, Laura is probably the single most impressive monster I've seen in videogames. I pay tribute to her in my GOTY list. But the giant monster at the end of Ch. 10 is no slouch, either. I mean, it's much less threatening, since it's less likely to kill you in one hit, but it's so eerily cool how you can feel the controller rumble with each step it takes, or how it
searches for you with its spotlight eye
. :)

kodecraft

Yeah, Laura is probably the single most impressive monster I've seen in videogames. I pay tribute to her in my GOTY list. But the giant monster at the end of Ch. 10 is no slouch, either. I mean, it's much less threatening, since it's less likely to kill you in one hit, but it's so eerily cool how you can feel the controller rumble with each step it takes, or how it
searches for you with its spotlight eye
. :)

Yep when I was walking through the halls and felt the rumble for the first time I was like..."what now?"

xrnzaaas

I just started playing the game for the first time (completed chapters 1 & 2, playing on survivor) and I have one question - how exactly does the torch work? Can you kill every "standard" zombie with it, even if they're aware of your position? And how many kills can you score before the torch is destroyed? So far I've only done standard silent knife kills, but I'm suspecting that the torch will be a lifesaver in future chapters.

Neiteio

I just started playing the game for the first time (completed chapters 1 & 2, playing on survivor) and I have one question - how exactly does the torch work? Can you kill every "standard" zombie with it, even if they're aware of your position? And how many kills can you score before the torch is destroyed? So far I've only done standard silent knife kills, but I'm suspecting that the torch will be a lifesaver in future chapters.
I'm fairly certain the torch is like a bottle. In other words, you can't take it with you from chapter to chapter. And you can only use it once, similar to the hatchets. In Ch. 2, it's useful to torch those two enemies that are pretending to be dead near the crank at the end. Fire can spread from one to the other, if they're close enough.

Seanspeed

Banned
Torch is a one-use item. Nice to use when you find one to save a bullet or three, but they aren't common enough that you'll be relying on them or anything.

xrnzaaas

Good to know, thanks. By the way does the main character have a serious heart condition or maybe he's a chain smoker? I couldn't do a run through the entire bridge in one go in chapter two. :)

Was stuck for a good 30 minutes on that part but got all the way up to the twins afterwards without dying so I'm doin pretty good again.

Saved there, gonna pick it up tomorrow.

Only real hard parts left are the shutter fight in chapter 11, and the bus standoff in chapter 12. Those took me a while as well. And make sure you have enough ammo for chapter 15.

xrnzaaas

Shit, I totally forgot about that. :D Maybe because in one scene he was limping and in the next one walking and running like nothing's wrong. ;)

Anyway I finished chapter 3 yesterday. It was kinda easy (loving the traps in this game), only the
sniper
was annoying, because I couldn't get him in one shot (so I torched him). Now that I think of it I should've probably go around to surprise him, gonna try that in NG+.

Sorry to rain on your guy's parade but the more I play this the more I'm thinking it's the absolute drizzling shits. Currently on chapter 6, does it get any better/ less annoying than this?

Xanathus

Sorry to rain on your guy's parade but the more I play this the more I'm thinking it's the absolute drizzling shits. Currently on chapter 6, does it get any better/ less annoying than this?
The tone changes from horror-survival to more Resident Evil-y action movie stuff in the later half of the game.

The tone changes from horror-survival to more Resident Evil-y action movie stuff in the later half of the game.

It's not so much the tone that is bothering me, it's the game mechanics. Such a massive disappointment, quite possible the biggest of all time from a personal viewpoint. It's like they took everything that was fun about RE4, got rid of it and replaced it with pure frustration. I'm trying to get through it as I don't want to see the money spent on it as a waste, but it's such a slog.

Xanathus

It's not so much the tone that is bothering me, it's the game mechanics. Such a massive disappointment, quite possible the biggest of all time from a personal viewpoint. It's like they took everything that was fun about RE4, got rid of it and replaced it with pure frustration. I'm trying to get through it as I don't want to see the money spent on it as a waste, but it's such a slog.

Once you get your upgrades (max critical damage for handgun) and more weapons it plays basically like RE4 and is no longer a stealth game. They actually manage your ammo dynamically by spawning more ammo when you're low and giving you less when you're doing well. The gameplay sections becomes literally exactly like RE4, there's even a section where
you're holed up in a small area and have to hold off enemies for some time

What's annoying or frustrating about it?

Off the top of my head:

-The collision detection is atrocious
-The framerate drops are very poor at times (PS4)
-The amount of one hit deaths are stupidly high
-The traps are only set off by your character, not gunshots/ enemies or ai partners
-Your ai partners are idiots
-After sprinting for what seems like a millisecond your character stops dead for about 5 seconds and let's an enemy cut his head off with a chainsaw
-The environment gets in the way at the most frustrating times

Like I said, sorry to be so negative but I was pumped for this game for literallt years and can't help but feel let down by Mikami :(

Off the top of my head:

-The collision detection is atrocious
-The framerate drops are very poor at times (PS4)
-The amount of one hit deaths are stupidly high
-The traps are only set off by your character, not gunshots/ enemies or ai partners
-Your ai partners are idiots
-After sprinting for what seems like a millisecond your character stops dead for about 5 seconds and let's an enemy cut his head off with a chainsaw
-The environment gets in the way at the most frustrating times

Like I said, sorry to be so negative but I was pumped for this game for literallt years and can't help but feel let down by Mikami :(
The sadist killed me several times too, but it only happened because I thought he was immortal and I had to trick him into cutting the chain. If you know you can kill him it seems downright impossible to lose the fight with stocked flash/explosive bolts and a shotgun.

Off the top of my head:

-The collision detection is atrocious fair point i guess
-The framerate drops are very poor at times (PS4) true, but for some reason it gets better as the game progresses
-The amount of one hit deaths are stupidly high only if you allow it to be "stupidly high" in fact, stupid is rather appropriate since you can avoid all one-hit deaths
-The traps are only set off by your character, not gunshots/ enemies or ai partners enemies not setting them off i haven't seen, if that's the case, i certainly agree that that's an issue. however, you shouldn't be shooting them anyway, you should be farming them for parts
-Your ai partners are idiots that's debatable. they actually can be quite useful in certain scenarios, but the amount of ai partners in the game is very minimal
-After sprinting for what seems like a millisecond your character stops dead for about 5 seconds and let's an enemy cut his head off with a chainsaw if you let go of sprint before it goes to 0, you won't get that tired animation where your character stops and doesn't move, ie. learn from it, and monitor your sprinting and make sure you don't ever zero-out. problem solved
-The environment gets in the way at the most frustrating times have no idea what you're referring to here

just some thoughts. give it another chance keeping these things in mind

Peace Tea

As far as making the game as easy as possible, what would be the best upgrade path when starting at chapter 5? So far I've upgraded sprint twice and my remaining "jelly" points are enough to upgrade it one more time.

Alternatively I was thinking about upgrading either pistol firepower or pistol critical, 3x for either one. They seem to amount to the same thing though.

Really open to any suggestions.

-MD-

As far as making the game as easy as possible, what would be the best upgrade path when starting at chapter 5? So far I've upgraded sprint twice and my remaining "jelly" points are enough to upgrade it one more time.

Alternatively I was thinking about upgrading either pistol firepower or pistol critical, 3x for either one. They seem to amount to the same thing.

Really open to any suggestions.

Go-to upgrades are pistol crit/accuracy, flash/harpoon bolts, stock on anything and if you're ever low on hp upgrading your maximum hp will refill your HP bar completely.

Upgrading reload speed once on most stuff is cheap and worthwhile.

just some thoughts. give it another chance keeping these things in mind

Thanks for the advice! I think the poor collision detection and one hit kills go hand in hand, there have been numerous times (especially with the chainsaw guy) where I have not even been that close (relatively speaking) to the enemy and the one hit kill animation has started.

As for the sprint button, I realise I'm supposed to let go of it before it runs out but sometimes I accidentally let it run down. My point is, why even have one? RE4 managed without one and still had very similar enemies to this game. It's almost like they've tried to fix something that isn't broken.

I'll power on and try my best not to focus on the disappointed aspects!

-MD-

As for the sprint button, I realise I'm supposed to let go of it before it runs out but sometimes I accidentally let it run down. My point is, why even have one? RE4 managed without one and still had very similar enemies to this game. It's almost like they've tried to fix something that isn't broken.

Balance. If sprint was unlimited the game would be incredibly easy.

Top Bottom