• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
chapter 6 is kind of a bitch on nightmare, had to use all of my flash and shock bolts at the beginning.

Jonm1010

Banned
I honestly am perplexed how people finished this game.

I tried to pick it back up after just getting fed up with the constant trial and error bullshit and instadeath crap but it just gets worse and worse.

Its like they had this great balance to start the game and I really thought this was about to be an all-time classic for me but then they just dialed back all the things I liked about this game: the wide open approach mission structure, the nice action set pieces, the exploration, the well designed boss fights. And has since just replaced it with a bunch of linear trial and error crap and these "aha gotcha" instadeath shit that just becomes a chore. The few times they did open up the level they had to insert these gotcha instadeath moments that set your progress back ten - fifteen minutes and it gets to the point you just throw your hands up and say fuck it!

Oh hey, I got a good idea! Lets deplete the players ammo by throwing 10 guys at him and then force him into a scenario with little ammo where he has to fight off 3 guys climbing to get him and two machine gun guys that take cover. One of which is going to hide in a corner at an elevation and be able to glitch his gun through cover and shoot you. So now the only way you can beat it is to go back several checkpoints and have to redo the entire thing over so you have enough ammo to overcome the manufactured difficulty that we coupled with bullshit clipping that gives the enemy a leg up. I bet they will all love it! Fuck off!

myco666

I tried to pick it back up after just getting fed up with the constant trial and error bullshit and instadeath crap but it just gets worse and worse.

Its like they had this great balance to start the game and I really thought this was about to be an all-time classic for me but then they just dialed back all the things I liked about this game: the wide open approach mission structure, the nice action set pieces, the exploration, the well designed boss fights. And has since just replaced it with a bunch of linear trial and error crap and these "aha gotcha" instadeath shit that just becomes a chore. The few times they did open up the level they had to insert these gotcha instadeath moments that set your progress back ten - fifteen minutes and it gets to the point you just throw your hands up and say fuck it!

Oh hey, I got a good idea! Lets deplete the players ammo by throwing 10 guys at him and then force him into a scenario with little ammo where he has to fight off 3 guys climbing to get him and two machine gun guys that take cover. One of which is going to hide in a corner at an elevation and be able to glitch his gun through cover and shoot you. So now the only way you can beat it is to go back several checkpoints and have to redo the entire thing over so you have enough ammo to overcome the manufactured difficulty that we coupled with bullshit clipping that gives the enemy a leg up. I bet they will all love it! Fuck off!

I would like to know what parts of this game are trial and error as I felt that the game was always fair. Also I assume that you are talking about ch.11 shutter door area on the last paragraph. That encounter is really resource heavy but IIRC you can ignore eveyone on the next encounter.

-MD-

Have you considered lowering the difficulty?

And where are you seeing these 10-15 minute progress losses? Most of the checkpoints in this game only set you back like 2 minutes.

myco666

Have you considered lowering the difficulty?

And where are you seeing these 10-15 minute progress losses? Most of the checkpoints in this game only set you back like 2 minutes.

Well you can explore alot in ch.9 without triggering checkpoints. Aside from that though there shouldn't be any atleast that I know of.

woot made it past the carriage ride with using only 9 bullets a sniper round and a harpoon (pinned one of the pesky fuckers with a molotov to the wall next to the barrels.

-MD-

woot made it past the carriage ride with using only 9 bullets a sniper round and a harpoon (pinned one of the pesky fuckers with a molotov to the wall next to the barrels.

It's all downhill from there :)

Well, save for maybe one part in chapter 12.

Experiment. There are many ways of approach in the game. Always try to conserve ammo so you have enough in these situations.

Error

I was looking at the first few pages of the thread to see gaffers impressions when the game was released, one of them stood out for me, Someone said they wasted almost all bullets in the fight against Laura on Ch.5, I didn't even know you could use guns to kill her I always assumed you needed to use the fire traps and torches to kill her quick.

What I like about this game is that it isn't always running and gunning, sometimes you need to take it slow and make a decent plan so that you don't waste too many bullets or enemies jump at you from nowhere.

To me chapter 3 is where the game lets you know that it's not always about running and gunning, I took my sweet ass time in that area took out every single enemy without alerting the entire horde and then after the area was cleared of Haunted, I when to fight the chainsaw guy. Made the fight a lot more manageable, plus it's badass to take out every Haunted via stealth, traps etc... the combat in this game is so satisfying.

I was looking at the first few pages of the thread to see gaffers impressions when the game was released, one of them stood out for me, Someone said they wasted almost all bullets in the fight against Laura on Ch.5, I didn't even know you could use guns to kill her I always assumed you needed to use the fire traps and torches to kill her quick.

What I like about this game is that it isn't always running and gunning, sometimes you need to take it slow and make a decent plan so that you don't waste too many bullets or enemies jump at you from nowhere.

To me chapter 3 is where the game lets you know that it's not always about running and gunning, I took my sweet ass time in that area took out every single enemy without alerting the entire horde and then after the area was cleared of Haunted, I when to fight the chainsaw guy. Made the fight a lot more manageable, plus it's badass to take out every Haunted via stealth, traps etc... the combat in this game is so satisfying.

I love it, You can go through and spend almost nothing ammo wise and kill tons of haunted. Ankle/knee shots and matches. Flashbangs and stealth kills (you can kill 4 from a single max upgraded bolt) Electric bolt and matches.

You have to learn earlier on. Shooting people in the head is not the best way to conserver ammo.

Though i wish i could sacrifice time and stab the guy in the head when they are down, rather than wasting a match on a single body.

The game also gives you ample amount of already dead bodies to burn and use as traps for enemies.

Error

I love it, You can go through and spend almost nothing ammo wise and kill tons of haunted. Ankle/knee shots and matches. Flashbangs and stealth kills (you can kill 4 from a single max upgraded bolt) Electric bolt and matches.

You have to learn earlier on. Shooting people in the head is not the best way to conserver ammo.

Though i wish i could sacrifice time and stab the guy in the head when they are down, rather than wasting a match on a single body.

The game also gives you ample amount of already dead bodies to burn and use as traps for enemies.
Yeah, so many ways to dispatch enemies that citing lack of ammo as a complaint is something I don't get.

Another thing I love about this game, no fucking cover system shitting up the level and enemy design. I swear ever since that mechanic was introduced the 3rd person shooter genre has been on a downward spiral. Levels designed around that mechanic are just not fun, and the set pieces feel like a glorified shooting gallery.

gelf

Yeah, so many ways to dispatch enemies that citing lack of ammo as a complaint is something I don't get.

Another thing I love about this game, no fucking cover system shitting up the level and enemy design. I swear ever since that mechanic was introduced the 3rd person shooter genre has been on a downward spiral. Levels designed around that mechanic are just not fun, and the set pieces feel like a glorified shooting gallery.
A thousand times yes, cover shooting is rarely fun to me also.

I just don't get most of the complaints aimed at this game in terms of mechanics as its not been my experience at all. Like has been said in terms of ammo there are usually creative ways to save it by killing things by using traps or baiting multiple guys to be burnt by one match. And in areas your required to clear a room I find there's usually just enough ammo dropped to get by by the skin on your teeth, on normal at least. I never had to go back a few checkpoints to stock up.

I wonder it helps that I rarely play standard TPS games in terms of appreciating TEW.

Upgrading your accuracy and critical will make headshots very efficient.

kodecraft

Ever since that mechanic was re-introduced.

If you're thinking Gears brought it, think again.

Nemmy

I really love TEW's ammo balance. I spent the entire playthrough feeling like I have very little, the game kept me in constant anxiety that I'll run out and that forced me to play creatively, to think well before I act, and upped tension - but I didn't run completely dry even once. I always had just enough to get by. It's fantastic.

kyubajin

Quick question that I'm sure has been asked a million times before. Is it worth getting the PS3 version or should I wait a couple more months till I get a PS4? I really really want to play the game asap.

myco666

The Evil Within: The Assignment - Official Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQut3K8-hV0&index=13&list=WL

Hopefully this doesn't have too much emphasis on stealth.

Quick question that I'm sure has been asked a million times before. Is it worth getting the PS3 version or should I wait a couple more months till I get a PS4? I really really want to play the game asap.

I haven't tried to PS4 version so I don't know how different it is to PS3 version. However I think PS3 version is fine. Framerate is more or less steady at little below 30 and some textures and shadows don't look that good. Also ch.9 has one area locked out but it is rather meaningless area that you just walkthrough quickly.

myco666

Quick question, is the trailer spoilery in some way? Showing new enemies/locations etc.? I want to approach TEW as unspoiled as possible (it worked out very nicely for me with the base game) so I'm kinda hesitant to watch it.

Not much. Two or three new enemies shown briefly and either old locations with new lightning or totally new locations. But if you don't want to be spoiled at all don't watch it just to be sure.

nel e nel

I would like to know what parts of this game are trial and error as I felt that the game was always fair. Also I assume that you are talking about ch.11 shutter door area on the last paragraph. That encounter is really resource heavy but IIRC you can ignore eveyone on the next encounter.

Almost every 'boss' fight in the game?

I'm having fun with the game (just now on chapter 14), but I agree that there is a lot of trial and error, and with the reload times it can be quite frustrating at times. Just looking at the variety of ways you can play through the game alone lets you know that there is a lot to play around with and try to figure out what works and doesn't. Speaking personally, I also reload a lot because I have a strong case of "I Know I Can Do That Better" syndrome.

I really love TEW's ammo balance. I spent the entire playthrough feeling like I have very little, the game kept me in constant anxiety that I'll run out and that forced me to play creatively, to think well before I act, and upped tension - but I didn't run completely dry even once. I always had just enough to get by. It's fantastic.

Yep, completely agree. Really good at ratcheting up the tension. On the other hand, there has been more than one time where there was a room (or two or three) with lots of supplies and it was basically telegraphing that an encounter is around the corner where you'll need it.

nel e nel

It's funny. A lot of people say the story is nonsensical, but I feel like if you read all the documents. Newspapers etc, a lot of things come together nicely.

I kinda am surprised that the folks who were confused didn't figure out that
Sebastian and everyone else are linked together in Ruvik's mind nightmare trap world

I kinda pieced that together in the first 3rd of the game, before it was explicitly stated by the doctor.

nel e nel

Well most bosses are just about shooting them and dodging their attacks. If there is something special to the boss fight it is informed to the player just before the fight.

Even that isn't telegraphed too well since you spend so much time sneaking and running from them early on in the game. Like, the
chainsaw guy in chapter 3? I spent about 4 lives thinking I had to stand by the chain for the gate trying to get HIM to cut it for me

myco666

Even that isn't telegraphed too well since you spend so much time sneaking and running from them early on in the game. Like, the
chainsaw guy in chapter 3? I spent about 4 lives thinking I had to stand by the chain for the gate trying to get HIM to cut it for me

So I wasn't the only one who tried that. Yeah it could been indicated more clearly that killing him is what you had to do.

nel e nel

So I wasn't the only one who tried that. Yeah it could been indicated more clearly that killing him is what you had to do.

lol

Yeah, and the first time with Safehead was a pain for me too as you are trapped with him in a small space, so my panic instinct took over and it took me a couple of tries to just figure out what to do, and several more to do it properly without going OHSHITOHSHITOHSHIT.

Don't get me wrong, I am really enjoying it, and this is pretty much my only criticism of the game. I actually enjoy trial and error gameplay, it's just that the load times with Evil Within are long enough that it can be a pain.

I never played RE4, but I am aware of it's influence, so for me this is like all the best parts of the Dead Space franchise wrapped in the milieu of every horror trope that's out there.

myco666

lol

Yeah, and the first time with Safehead was a pain for me too as you are trapped with him in a small space, so my panic instinct took over and it took me a couple of tries to just figure out what to do, and several more to do it properly without going OHSHITOHSHITOHSHIT.

Don't get me wrong, I am really enjoying it, and this is pretty much my only criticism of the game. I actually enjoy trial and error gameplay, it's just that the load times with Evil Within are long enough that it can be a pain.

I never played RE4, but I am aware of it's influence, so for me this is like all the best parts of the Dead Space franchise wrapped in the milieu of every horror trope that's out there.

That encounter is so good.

I understand. It's just that I don't think that there is trial and error in this game. Those load times are bad though. There were sections in akumu mode where I died after few seconds of loading a checkpoint multiple times.

You really should check out RE4 if you like this game.

lol

Well that makes sense since dead space is basically re4 in space

nel e nel

Well that makes sense since dead space is basically re4 in space

Right, exactly, which is what I constantly heard about Dead Space at the time it came out.

I have a pretty sizable gap in my gaming, I went from a Nintendo 64 to cold turkey for 8 years, then got a 360. I basically went from Goldeneye and Donkey Kong 64 to Gears of War 2 and Assassin's Creed.

That encounter is so good.

I understand. It's just that I don't think that there is trial and error in this game. Those load times are bad though. There were sections in akumu mode where I died after few seconds of loading a checkpoint multiple times.

You really should check out RE4 if you like this game.

Yeah for sure, I guess trial and error isn't the best way to describe it, because as you said, more often than not I had a good idea of what I needed to do, I guess it's more that it's very easy for a small mistake to spiral out of control exponentially and leave you fucked.

I played a bit of RE4 on iOS but got stuck early on with the blind guy in the church where you ring the bell and haven't gone back to it since. And when I got an iPad and noticed that it wasn't cross buy between iPhone, kinda put it aside for now.

myco666

Yeah for sure, I guess trial and error isn't the best way to describe it, because as you said, more often than not I had a good idea of what I needed to do, I guess it's more that it's very easy for a small mistake to spiral out of control exponentially and leave you fucked.

I played a bit of RE4 on iOS but got stuck early on with the blind guy in the church where you ring the bell and haven't gone back to it since. And when I got an iPad and noticed that it wasn't cross buy between iPhone, kinda put it aside for now.

Yeah this game punishes player for mistake rather harshly but that is why encounters are so intense everytime.

I would recommend to get console version of RE4 since atleast what I've seen iOS version looks horrible in comparison.

so you can kill the chainsaw guy in chapter 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7QOxRinEUg

WHAT

Never even thought of trying to kill him. Getting only 5000gel sounds way too low though. Also I wonder how the next part will play if you kill him.

so you can kill the chainsaw guy in chapter 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7QOxRinEUg

Haha this is crazy. How did the person even figure this out, they must have just kept doing it endlessly hoping he would die. Just goes to show how a lot of the bosses in this game always take damage even not from the 'puzzle' ways to kill them, those ways just take off a bigger chunk of damage. Only in a few setpiece running sequences are they actually invulnerable.

Haha this is crazy. How did the person even figure this out, they must have just kept doing it endlessly hoping he would die. Just goes to show how a lot of the bosses in this game always take damage even not from the 'puzzle' ways to kill them, those ways just take off a bigger chunk of damage. Only in a few setpiece running sequences are they actually invulnerable.

you can gun down laura in chapter 5. for speed runs people just use a
rocket launcher.

That's the easiest way to kill him in chap 3

I think axes are the easiest way. Three and a bullet will kill him outright. if you throw the bottle in the barn against the wall a guy with an axe will show up. Kill him with your pistol. Then you have three axes. (one from the stairs, one from the barn, one from the haunted)

Dez_

Pretty awesome that you can actually kill the guy in the first chapter. I wonder how the last part of the chapter plays out though. Always neat to see some new stuff.

myco666

i really like the game , any tips of what i should upgrade like sprint etc, and what gun to upgrade?
Only upgrades that IMO aren't worth upgrading are melee damage and fire rate.

Upgrade stock for everything so that you don't have to leave ammo behind. For guns I would say damage and critical for handgun and shotgun also maybe accuracy for handgun so that you won't miss shots that often. Best bolt upgrades are harpoon and flash.

Tried to kill that chainsaw guy on ch.1 with the same strategy as the video but for some reason he always killed me when I was hiding in the locker.

Top Bottom