• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin 2016 |OT| - Can Punks Catch as Catch Can Too?

ReiGun

Yeah, the odds are really stacked against NXT alumni.

Owens & Enzo are clearly flourishing. But Neville, Sami, Tyler, Vaudevillains, Sasha, Emma and others were over as fuck and have been either completely mishandled since their debuts or got their character assassinated.

The problem with the Vaudevillians is that their gimmick, fun as it is, just doesn't gel with the main roster. Creative clearly doesn't get it and isn't interested, and general audiences don't like it much either.

The problem with the Vaudevillians is that their gimmick, fun as it is, just doesn't gel with the main roster. Creative clearly doesn't get it and isn't interested, and general audiences don't like it much either.
They would've fit very well with Gallagher, basically a feud over him not being a real gentleman.

Toki767

The problem with NXT alumni is this:

A lot of people that get called up get no build whatsoever with creative expecting NXT to have done all the build for them expecting them to already be over with the audience. (Tyler Breeze, Vaudevillains, Bo Dallas, etc...)

The people that actually don't need the build and are actually already over with the audience are just made to feel like they've accomplished nothing in NXT even though those are the people who are seemingly more popular to the TV audience than the people on the main roster. (Kevin Owens, Finn Balor, Bayley, etc...)

They pick and choose who they feel they have to introduce/build up from scratch and often times, they choose the wrong people.

Enzo and Cass are like...basically the only people lately that they never felt they had to start introducing from scratch. Everyone already acted like they knew them and they just ran with it.

klonere

Banned
Ospreay vs Strickland at PROGRESS Chapter 35 not only had an illict amount of crazy flip counters but (spoilers for finish/match story)
proved Will can turn a crowd whenever he wants. Will Ospreay, boo'd in PROGRESS! The fake shoulder injury was absolutely genius and Will's beatdown on Shane was totally vicious. Marty struggles to get heat for fuck sake and he's been out and out heel for a year+ now. Will's a fucking worker.

Non-spoilery version: If you want to see Ospreay do more than flips and selling (ie the KUSHIDA matches) then watch Ospreay/Strickland here: https://demandprogress.pivotshare.com/media/chapter-35:-writing-nirvana-on-other-people's-bags/52669

bjork

Jojo is a great anime. Everyone check it out

More of a manga guy myself, actually in the middle of a reread so I can know who these characters are in the mobile game. All I remember from my initial read of the series, which was around the time Steel Ball Run was new:

Diamond is Unbreakable is the best part, Jolyne is the best Jojo

orioto

Good Art™
So i finished RAW.

If they want Owens to get some audible heat, he really has to raise the devilish bar.. Why didn't he directly attacked Zayn's leg when he sold his past injury ? Why didn't he injured him for good to sell he's now ready to do everything to stay relevant...

We've seen Owens like that already. That's not the time to be shy with the demonic side of his character...

I hate that WWE has managed to make 2 shows half full of people I really like that are sounding just bad enough that I don't have the energy to try and watch them. I kinda hope the cruiserweights get an hour to themselves so I can just watch that, and maybe give SmackDown a shot at some point.
Ospreay vs Strickland at PROGRESS Chapter 35 not only had an illict amount of crazy flip counters but (spoilers for finish/match story)
proved Will can turn a crowd whenever he wants. Will Ospreay, boo'd in PROGRESS! The fake shoulder injury was absolutely genius and Will's beatdown on Shane was totally vicious. Marty struggles to get heat for fuck sake and he's been out and out heel for a year+ now. Will's a fucking worker.

Non-spoilery version: If you want to see Ospreay do more than flips and selling (ie the KUSHIDA matches) then watch Ospreay/Strickland here: https://demandprogress.pivotshare.com/media/chapter-35:-writing-nirvana-on-other-people's-bags/52669

I WAS SO FUCKING WORRIED ABOUT HIM :'(

bjork

whatamark.gif

klonere

Banned
I hate that WWE has managed to make 2 shows half full of people I really like that are sounding just bad enough that I don't have the energy to try and watch them. I kinda hope the cruiserweights get an hour to themselves so I can just watch that, and maybe give SmackDown a shot at some point.

Smackdown is actually pretty watchable, I've actually been checking in on it for the last two weeks. Even the lesser segments are bareable because of the shows pacing. It reminds me of NXT of yesteryear the way they build feuds and characters. All is not totally lost.

As for Ospreay:
Not seeing it live made me think I would have heard something about it but that motherfucker had me bite on the injury especially since he pretended to do the shoulder pop thing Balor did. Between this and the Vader...incident, Will is really showing he's got this psychology thing down. Praying he really does take this time off as he has announced.

Smackdown is actually pretty watchable, I've actually been checking in on it for the last two weeks. Even the lesser segments are bareable because of the shows pacing. It reminds me of NXT of yesteryear the way they build feuds and characters. All is not totally lost.

As for Ospreay:
Not seeing it live made me think I would have heard something about it but that motherfucker had me bite on the injury especially since he pretended to do the shoulder pop thing Balor did. Between this and the Vader...incident, Will is really showing he's got this psychology thing down. Praying he really does take this time off as he has announced.

I'm really hoping he gets a WWE deal in the next year, if nothing else so he can a) succeed and b) get told when to stop.

While we're talking Ospreay, jesus fucking christ that Ospreay vs Fenix preview from BOLA. Dat rana. Dat Spanish Fly. https://youtu.be/7-lBy2o8HQM?t=109

klonere

Banned
I'm really hoping he gets a WWE deal in the next year, if nothing else so he can a) succeed and b) get told when to stop.

While we're talking Ospreay, jesus fucking christ that Ospreay vs Fenix preview from BOLA. Dat rana. Dat Spanish Fly. https://youtu.be/7-lBy2o8HQM?t=109

Selfishly I want him to stay away from from WWE (at least till we see what the Cruiserweights on Raw actually looks like) because there's so much stuff he can do in Japan still. I hope this is a turning point for him and while maybe he won't calm down in ring, he'll really start picking his dates. He's a draw for fuck sake! He needs to talk to Kenny Omega about working smart outside of the WWE.

klonere

Banned
In good news the preview for Night 1 of BOLA is already up so hopefully that means the DVD will be available in short order.

Browny

Banned
Best way to watch TV, really close and at an impossible angle.

Google image "watching raw backstage" - it's the only way to watch, by all accounts.

On topic - I read the results, fucking Roman lol

Off topic - severe stomach ache and a power cut last night put me in a bad mood, accentuated by kids being up an hour earlier than normal (as I was catching up on not doing anything last night), and now I'm dealing with some of the shittiest clients we have. Fuck today.

Willy maaaaybe taking that time off he keeps promising
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJ_iRtoACus/
"Right so time to play the honesty game with you all.

I absolutely love professional wrestling but most of all I love British wrestling. Mainly because it reminds me of how we are not meant to be in the position we are right now but everyone has scratched and clawed to make British Wrestling so popular. Weather your a fan, wrestler, camera guy, promoter, merch girl, or the guy that takes the jackets backstage. You've all helped in making British Wrestling so god damn cool. And you know it's worked because last night out of 24 participants 6 British lads & 1 guy from Amsterdam (pretty much adopted BRIT) performed in PWG's BOLA. For that I'm very proud of all of them and our wonderful little country.

Now to address a matter that's been the rumours of how messed up I am when it concerns my body. I'm not going to make the extent or my injuries public and being honest it's nothing to be scared about or fear for my life. But if I carry on doing the style of matches I do at the rate I do them at my body has no time to recover and that's when I'm gonna get hurt.
Having said this I would like to make it public that the things I wanted to do I need to like the British Triangle Championship I'm gonna need to put a hold on until my body is ready again. So saying this I'm going to honour some of my commitments as a champion in other places, and filling out my duties in touring with NJPW but once I'm in my home country I need to rest.

So here are the dates you'll see me Wrestling in the UK:
• Southside - October 1st
• WCPW - November 9th
• RPW/NJPW - November 10th/11th
• ROH - 18th/20th Nov
• RCWA - 19th Nov

There are other dates im not announced for yet that will be talked about and there are dates promoters have booked me in for that I need to talk to you about.

Please do not panic or worry about me as I'm walking & healthy. But it comes a point where your body can only take so much and I'm making the adult decision to give my body time to heal.

Hope you can all understand where I'm coming from.

Love you all lots"

And still giving Moolah credit when she set women's wrestling back probably more than anyone in history lol

Oh well progress is progress.

Yeah, I use to hope that with the new title and how they gave it a new lineage and all that it meant we'd never have to hear about how "Fabulous" Moolah was but nope...

I think the only way WWE will ever really sweep that POS under the rug is if a news site or some place with a large amount of people who follow did a story on what a piece of garbage she was.

Striker

The 'real-as-fuck' Attitude Era had tag teams consisting of vampires and dancing vanilla midgets with a fat guy as a third wheel who wore a thong. Anything can work if the writing is behind it.

I love the bromance between Jericho and Owens. Jericho coming out to give him backup against that bully Reigns was the feel good moment of the year.

Recall

Creative doesn't get it.

Last 15 years in a nutshell

kiguel182

Creative failed the vaudevillians. Even their entrance is half assed now. They are weird but they could work. Being weird should be okay in wrestling.

klonere

Banned
I must applaud Vince Russo for this commitment to the gimmick. He's a hell of a lot better at it than a huge majority of current wrestlers, that's for sure. Incredibly hateable charactuh.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Lol Melts said raw was so bad he looks like mister olympia
I don't follow. What's this mean? I know Dave lifts during commercial, but that doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the show.

klonere

Banned
I don't follow. What's this mean? I know Dave lifts during commercial, but that doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the show.

One would assume if the quality of the show is poor he puts more effort into lifting, as segments like that New Day/Club one do not require ones mental faculties to be entirely focussed on it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
One would assume if the quality of the show is poor he puts more effort into lifting, as segments like that New Day/Club one do not require ones mental faculties to be entirely focussed on it.
New Day have that bad of a segment last night?

Zach

l0LtF4w.jpg

Johnny the Bull with that sweet leg drop to the outside.

(That apparently tore his urethra.)

Edit: have a gif:

nt0uPAw.jpg

Top Bottom