• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin 2016 |OT| - Can Punks Catch as Catch Can Too?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So Austin is just in the Pantheon. He's not THE god.

Zach

WWF Austin was interesting from Ringmaster up until WM14. After that, it doesn't matter if he was over, because everyone on the roster was over in 98. I'm not gonna act like he's the worst ever or anything like that, and the Roman comparison is mostly facetious, but the only way I could be like "dude fuck yeah Austin was the best his run was fucking rad as shit" or whatever is if I never ever revisited it to see how cruddy Attitude Era WWF is/was.

Even with so much overness, there are varying degrees. There weren't many guys who touched Austin's crowd reactions. The Rock. Road Dogg. Too Cool. Maybe Undertaker and/or Kane once but I'm too busy not enjoying them to notice or give proper credit. Yeah, that's right. I'm giving trash Road Dogg and hilariously over Too Cool credit before The Bruddahz of Break Stuff by Limp Bizkit.

And yeah, you're right, the Attitude Era still sucks.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Hall is still stuck on that shit? :/
Like the nWo

It's 4 life

You will be forever fighting alcoholism until your dying day. You can only temporarily stop it. The hope is that you can stop it until the day you die, but it will always try to get you and never stop.

Falling off the wagon does not mean you failed, it means that it's time to start from day one again. The day you stop trying is when it wins.

bjork

Even with so much overness, there are varying degrees. There weren't many guys who touched Austin's crowd reactions. The Rock. Road Dogg. Too Cool. Maybe Undertaker and/or Kane once but I'm too busy not enjoying them to notice or give proper credit. Yeah, that's right. I'm giving trash Road Dogg and hilariously over Too Cool credit before The Bruddahz of Break Stuff by Limp Bizkit.

And yeah, you're right, the Attitude Era still sucks.

Oh, for sure. And none of those dudes would've been over if Austin's story hadn't drawn people to the show in the first place. It just feels like they had a concrete plan leading up to his winning the title, then they went "oh fuck, now what"

cordy

Banned
TMZ has this picture of Hall on the site about it.

0906-scott-hall-razor-ramon-footer-3.jpg

These dudes are the worst.

Zach

Oh, for sure. And none of those dudes wouldn't have been over if Austin's story hadn't drawn people to the show in the first place. It just feels like they had a concrete plan leading up to his winning the title, then they went "oh fuck, now what"

I've kind of read it as "oh, crap, Austin is in a bad way emotionally and physically all the time, but we need to make some money so, uh, let's just have him drive some zambonis and do run-in stunners and stuff until the wheels fall off..."

Recall

My Top 10 PPVs/Supershows:

Backlash 2000
Canadian Stampede 1997
Spring Stampede 1999
Summerslam 2001
Heatwave 1998
Wrestlemania X-7
Superbrawl 2
WrestleWar 92
Backlash 2007
Anarchy Rulz 99

Zach

My Top 10 PPVs/Supershows:

Backlash 2000 - B-
Canadian Stampede 1997 - B-
Spring Stampede 1999 - B-
Summerslam 2001 - ???
Heatwave 1998 - B
Wrestlemania X-7 - OCELOT IS DEAD
Superbrawl 2 - B+
WrestleWar 92 - B-
Backlash 2007 - TIME PARADOX
Anarchy Rulz 99 - C

Get that Anarchy Rulz business out of my face, Recall.

(Have you watched the Clashes?)

Recall

Backlash 2000 - B-
Canadian Stampede 1997 - B-
Spring Stampede 1999 - B-
Summerslam 2001 - ???
Heatwave 1998 - B
Wrestlemania X-7 - OCELOT IS DEAD
Superbrawl 2 - B+
WrestleWar 92 - B-
Backlash 2007 - TIME PARADOX
Anarchy Rulz 99 - C

Get that Anarchy Rulz business out of my face, Recall.

(Have you watched the Clashes?)

Considering you never give A's I'm going to say my list is graded well.

Anarchy Rulz was the first ECW show I ever had on tape. It has a special place.

I've only ever seen clash 1, that's it :(

Ordered some DDT shows, need my fix of ridiculous wrestling shenanigans;

qCuLtym.png

IaWJZmm.png

WC59qrK.png

Wish some western indie would rip off the "anywhere wrestling" gimmick already. Surprised no one's really tried it, tbh.

Zach

Top 10 supershows

1. 92 rumble
2-10. subject to change

That's a solid list, bjork.

Considering you never give A's I'm going to say my list is graded well.

Anarchy Rulz was the first ECW show I ever had on tape. It has a special place.

I've only ever seen clash 1, that's it :(

I think it's time to begin your Clash journey, my retro-viewing friend.

I just had a really disturbing vision from the year 2025, when Zach reviews Backlash 2007.

And we were all still talking about Seth Rollins' penis.

Dude, I'm not going to watch many RAWs after WCW's demise, so the journey should pick up the pace. And as of this morning, I'm in July 2000! Only a human gestation period away from (partial) freedom! :D

But yeah, you'll still be talking about wieners one way or another.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

qCuLtym.png

IaWJZmm.png

WC59qrK.png

Wish some western indie would rip off the "anywhere wrestling" gimmick already. Surprised no one's really tried it, tbh.
Imagine a suplex off of the World's Largest Ball of Twine

A Swamp Deathmatch in the bayou.

A Picture Battle in front of Mount Rushmore

Dude, I'm not going to watch many RAWs after WCW's demise, so the journey should pick up the pace. And as of this morning, I'm in July 2000! Only a human gestation period away from (partial) freedom! :D

But yeah, you'll still be talking about wieners one way or another.
Of course you won't watch RAW, but you'll have to watch SMACKDOWN beginning in late 2002, since those become really great.

Just skip anything related to Vince in that time period.

Zach

Zach will only give a B-.

Backlash 2007 would get a solid B though.

Are you giving me grief about a theoretical B- for a PPV that in your opinion deserves a B?

Unbelievable.

Of course you won't watch RAW, but you'll have to watch SMACKDOWN beginning in late 2002, since those become really great.

Just skip anything related to Vince in that time period.

I know people talk about the Smackdown Six or Seven or whatever, but I don't think I'll have it in me. The PPVs will probably be enough.

Fox318

qCuLtym.png

IaWJZmm.png

WC59qrK.png

That looks like some business exposing material boots.

Am I gonna have to send taker or Harley Race with his fists taped to bring some credibility back?

Recall

I remember watching a DDT show where they played Fire Pro Wrestling R on a PS2 in the ring. Some tubby guy didn't know he had to press/hold buttons to kick out. It was over in like 2 minutes.

bjork

DDT might be the greatest promotion ever because of the ladder being champion, and how the ladder lost its title.

Fox318

Who did UnderFrasier ever really beat up?
He choked out Kurt Angle after angle shot for a takedown on Vince in the back.

At the time Angle and Vince had a game where they would try to shoot takedowns on each other though Vince apparently didn't know what a takedown was.

Imagine a suplex off of the World's Largest Ball of Twine

A Swamp Deathmatch in the bayou.

A Picture Battle in front of Mount Rushmore

Those all sound marvellous.

The closest approximation I can think of is CZW's junkyard match;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2E-H4tPHeA

Features peak Zandig. Love how happy throwing dudes through car windows makes him.

That looks like some business exposing material boots.

Am I gonna have to send taker or Harley Race with his fists taped to bring some credibility back?

Oh, it's totally business exposing, Jim Cornette would be liable to keel over and die if he watched a DDT show. Undertaker wouldn't be able to do shit, though - DDT has it's own Deadman Walking;

WzrpoxC.gif
KCPhKsN.gif

BFIB

Finally completed my WCW/NWO Revenge run and got Disco Inferno all the belts, with the tag team of Disco/Alex Wright.

WCW would have never folded if I were in charge.

Rollins is just a very unlikable dude, natally. He has all of Punk's self-importance and ego but none of the qualities that charm people. I have no idea how they're going to make him work as a face.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
CZW is indeed the closest, spiritually, to DDT. Where DDT embraces whimsy, CZW takes a violent approach to their whimsy. You'll likely get the same amount of laughs in DDT that you will in CZW but for different reasons.

Zach

He choked out Kurt Angle after angle shot for a takedown on Vince in the back.

At the time Angle and Vince had a game where they would try to shoot takedowns on each other though Vince apparently didn't know what a takedown was.

I don't believe it. And it sounds like a sneak attack anyway while Angle and McMahon were going mano a mano. Underginger rounds the corner and decides to try to prove something to a vulnerable Angle, and more importantly, to himself. What a loser.

You know I can't watch that at work, you SOB.

So you were backstage planning out the match?

How does this:

Always resemble this:

Which plays right into Bayley "hurting" her knee for it not being pulled off as she usually does? She's also not meant to be flying through the posts, it's more of a slide.

Can you just accept it was a botch all around and not trying to make it one sided?

Top Bottom