• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin 2016 |OT| - Can Punks Catch as Catch Can Too?

Zach

I'm gonna shoot with you, Dato, since it's Shootuary: I don't hate KroniK. I hate myself for it, but even with their slop and dated-as-dated-can-be look, they're booked like monsters and it's working. It probably helps that they're one of the few acts that's currently over in WCW, but still. Credit where credit is due.

tumblr_od24tmYMP91u1ljrzo1_500.gif

At least she had a good few weeks before something idiotic happened. Usually it's the booking

Did people get sufficiently hyped at the announcement that Evolve is trying to get Jeff Cobb?

Cobb vs. Riddle
Cobb vs. Hero
Cobb vs. Sabre (even if RevPro already had that match)
Cobb mauling Darby Allin

Mark Henry was a fantastic fucking champion and I'll have no slander about him in this thread or so help me god I'll travel through the Internet like Neo and the Matrix and strangle you.

Turok_TTZ

Enjoyed Smackdown today.

AJ styles, you may have deliver the phenomenal low blow to my boi, Dean Ambrose, But no amount of low blows or cold water will heal that burn after being sizzled by Ambrose's mic.

AJ Styles is alright and he is certainly championship material. But the only thing he's winning at Backlash is a participation sticker for trying. Way too soon for Dean to drop and I would prefer Ambrose to have a long reign. That and AJ Styles getting too big for his britches since beating John Cena. Dean Ambrose is the perfect lunatic to remind that pompous ass of his place when he enters the Ambrose Asylum.

Cagey

Banned
Or any T-shirt. Or any shirt, really. Pretty much anything that isn't certified wrassle gear, brother.
Yep, in a perfect world wrasslers are in some damn wrasslin gear. Usos should be shirtless. They look fine and the matching tattoos are a slick look.
Mark Henry was a fantastic fucking champion and I'll have no slander about him in this thread or so help me god I'll travel through the Internet like Neo and the Matrix and strangle you.
I'll be your Operator.

Shootember: I've never gotten the appeal of Matt Riddle. He's a prick who bombed out of the UFC

And in case you think I'm being harsh on him, here's a rant he did about him failing a drug test for pot. Seems understandable, shouldn't be banned, right? Where's the harm?

Matt Riddle said:
I've been smoking weed since I was 13 and look at me. I'm in the UFC and I smash people with a smile on my face. It's not a performance enhancing drug. It makes me relax. It makes me happy. Honestly, it probably keeps me from beating my three kids because they're always screaming and crying at me and my wife's crazy and you know what life's like.

"I smoke weed so I don't beat my kids"

I loved the Hall of Pain as much as anyone, but three quarters of Mark Henry's title reign was feuding with the Big Show. I can't begrudge people that much for hating it.

Shootember: I've never gotten the appeal of Matt Riddle. He's a prick who bombed out of the UFC

And in case you think I'm being harsh on him, here's a rant he did about him failing a drug test for pot. Seems understandable, shouldn't be banned, right? Where's the harm?

"I smoke weed so I don't beat my kids"
That'd be a pretty dope heel promo. He'd be the anti Heath Slater.

Fox318

Sports Entertainment pet peeve: wrasslers wrasslin in merch tee shirts. Looking at the Usos and KO.

A plain sleeveless black tee looks much better. Wearing your own merch when you have an official wrassle match cheapens the performer and makes them less threatening.

It's WWE stop shilling your shit like you can't afford a midnight BK run without selling another shirt.
Ehh fighters will wear gear with their name or brand on it so it's not too out of place.

Although they shouldn't be wearing t shirts period.

KO might be the only person I'm ok with.

Fox318

Is there any wrestler that wasn't some grundgy emo hardcore wrestler that wore a t shirt and made it work while wrestling?

I feel like if you are stepping into a WWE ring and it isn't a street fight you should be dressed for an athletic competition.

Smackdown wasn't bad just servicable, Talking Smack was great, Usos got a well needed turn, AJ continues to be great, and Ambrose once again showed he's a top mic worker in the company.

Wagram

What the hell happened to Sasha during her promo this past RAW? Just a bad night on the mic?

Just trying to make it work. She doesn't have the experience Henry has so there was never a chance. She needs the mic time to improve regardless. Charlotte has improved immensely lately due to that time.

It's just crazy they copied the blueprint for a legendary promo only 3 years later. It made things so transparent and no one believed she was retiring once she started giving a history lesson.

Wow that's pretty great, it sounds like Streets of Rage level music.

Because they're stupid and they'll never outdo Henry's "Retirement".

The Henry thing had a point, he was angling for a title shot by luring in our lord and saviour Cena.

What was Sasha's goal? She seemed to already have a guaranteed title shot match. Why trick the crowd if she isn't trying to be a heel? What was she gonna say if Dana hadn't come out? Why?

Anth0ny

there's like 20 things that are dumb as fuck about sasha banks trying to pull a mark henry retirement speech

fucking wwe

The Henry thing had a point, he was angling for a title shot by luring in our lord and saviour Cena.

What was Sasha's goal? She seemed to already have a guaranteed title shot match. Why trick the crowd if she isn't trying to be a heel? What was she gonna say if Dana hadn't come out? Why?

Yup the whole thing was dumb as hell, like a lot of WWE angles. It's like they ignore the past and try and create weird moments in a vacuum with no thought given to context or how it might look in the bigger picture. The same thing with Steph all of a sudden trying to play like she's some fair and balanced commish. Mick Foley actually saying he doesn't believe Steph could be a "liar" or a "bad person", like, have concussions made him forget the last 5 years? You can't just retcon that shit. Too many angles and moments like that exist out of convenience.

KingBroly

Banned
Sometimes there are moments when you have to pivot off of what your long term goal is.

Ryback Beating CM Punk for the title
Henry beating Cena
Punk keeping the belt instead of jobing to HHH and his fraud friends.
Hell even Miz beating Punk

I don't know why HHH's ego needed to be stroked to beat Punk.

Cagey

Banned
Mark Henry had to lose to John Cena that July so WWE could use Cena to officially crown Daniel Bryan the following August.

If we determine whose really at fault for Henry not getting the win... 🐐🤔

Fox318

The Mark Henry and Sandow treatment with those losses speak more to them being out of touch than anything the New Day come out to.

When you strike gold why not run with it?

Sometimes there are moments when you have to pivot off of what your long term goal is.

Ryback Beating CM Punk for the title
Henry beating Cena
Punk keeping the belt instead of jobing to HHH and his fraud friends.
Hell even Miz beating Punk
Speaking of which, I really wish they had let Lawler beat the Miz with a piledriver at Elimination Chamber 2011. Have it be a Dusty Finish where he gets relinquished of the belt and it goes back to the Miz the next night on Raw, but they should have pulled the trigger on it.

Top Bottom