• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin 2016 |OT| - Can Punks Catch as Catch Can Too?

Kaladin

Someone give me the whole backstory on the AJ Styles homophobia thing. I feel like I'm missing pieces. The only thing I've seen is the clips of him using the f word in the ring a long time ago. If that is it, couldn't that just be all the promoter and not him? I'm curious if there is more to cause the IWC to latch onto this story so hard.

I'm proud of all who are against homophobia. It's controversial here but your stance is worthy, right, and deserves acceptance. There's only one AJ worthy of love here, and that's Lee/Brooks.
Speaking the truth.

48hHG.gif

Someone give me the whole backstory on the AJ Styles homophobia thing. I feel like I'm missing pieces. The only thing I've seen is the clips of him using the f word in the ring a long time ago. If that is it, couldn't that just be all the promoter and not him? I'm curious if there is more to cause the IWC to latch onto this story so hard.
If I'm not mistaken he's also said that it's the only "bad word" he feels comfortable saying in the ring

....that said he's said "sheeeeeeeeiiiiiit" in a Cena match recently so who knows

He hasn't had any Brock "I don't like gay people" moments (that I know of) as much as southern/jock/Christian ignorance

Sephzilla

Truths
  • US Title run and midcard run John Cena has been the most entertaining Cena in years. Dude put in work.
  • Roman has improved to being servicable in the ring, but he still has a long ways to go. His character and mic work still suck and the booking for him is still awful.
  • Finn Balor is a star waiting to happen but he needs a more climactic finisher
  • Kevin Owens should headline a WrestleMania
  • Balor getting hurt and KO getting the Universal Title was the best thing for that title
  • Seth Rollins needs to fuck off from the main event picture for a while
  • Crash Bandicoot was the PS1 era Sonic the Hedgehog; a console mascot that was always overrated as fuck
  • The real best Batman movie is Mask of the Phantasm
  • NVM is pissed right now because of that last truth bomb

Sephzilla, you gotta back me up as my manager because I'm going in the ring with anyone who doesn't think Mask of the Phantasm is the best Batman movie of all time.

rrc1594

Shoots
  • US Title run and midcard run John Cena has been the most entertaining Cena in years. Dude put in work.
  • Roman has improved to being servicable in the ring, but he still has a long ways to go. His character and mic work still suck and the booking for him is still awful.
  • Finn Balor is a star waiting to happen but he needs a more climactic finisher
  • Kevin Owens should headline a WrestleMania
  • Balor getting hurt and KO getting the Universal Title was the best thing for that title
  • Crash Bandicoot was the PS1 era Sonic the Hedgehog; a console mascot that was always overrated as fuck
  • The real best Batman movie is Batman and Robin.

FTFY

Truths

The whole Shield needs to tbh. If you're completely soured on giving Reigns the belt at long last, okay, but the other two are just as overused/overvalued. If you're canning one from the picture for at least a couple months, can them all. Don't halfass going fresh, go the distance.

If it completely fails, it completely fails, but at least this way you can't do New Guy vs Seth or New Guy vs Dean or New Guy vs Reigns, have it bomb, and always blame the New Guy for the failure.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
The whole Shield needs to tbh. If you're completely soured on giving Reigns the belt at long last, okay, but the other two are just as overused/overvalued. If you're canning one from the picture for at least a couple months, can them all. Don't halfass going fresh, go the distance.

If it completely fails, it completely fails, but at least this way you can't do New Guy vs Seth or New Guy vs Dean or New Guy vs Reigns, have it bomb, and always blame the New Guy for the failure.

Yeah, when I was positive the Universal champ was going to be Reigns or Rollins it dawned on me how sick of Shield I am in the main event scene. I say this as a huge Rollins fan.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Truths
  • The real best Batman movie is Mask of the Phantasm

Told you you talk about it too much. Let shitty cape superheroes go.

Gonna be saying this Sunday, btw
FlY6UjH.gif

You'll never be free!

Sephzilla

Yeah, I'm sick of the Shield guys hogging the main event at this point. Ambrose needs to drop the title fast because #AustinWasRight and Ambrose is super half assing it. Rollins needs to get the fuck away from the main event picture for a while because, kayfabe, the dude keeps losing world title matches lately. And Roman needs more time in the midcard to grow.

Zach

Oh my god, Russo and these commentators are killing me at Bash at the Beach 2000. All of this shooting and insider lingo. Amazing. And to think I thought nothing would top Michael Buffer calling Jeff Jarrett "one of the biggest stars in the universe."

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh my god, Russo and these commentators are killing me at Bash at the Beach 2000. All of this shooting and insider lingo. Amazing. And to think I thought nothing would top Michael Buffer calling Jeff Jarrett "one of the biggest stars in the universe."
It's so terrible. Russo went balls out, so did that slimy piece of shit next to Schiavone

Not Tenay, damn you

Kaladin

If I'm not mistaken he's also said that it's the only "bad word" he feels comfortable saying in the ring

....that said he's said "sheeeeeeeeiiiiiit" in a Cena match recently so who knows

He hasn't had any Brock "I don't like gay people" moments (that I know of) as much as southern/jock/Christian ignorance

That's kind of what I figured. IMO, saying a word on a mic and saying something in the ring where a mic could pick it up are two different things. That being said, from this I don't see anything that indicates AJ Styles as a homophobe, If he calls another wrestler the f word on the mic, the promoter could be just as easily behind him using it in the ring as he is. I guess my point is, there is no solid evidence to say AJ Styles is a homophobe, it just comes across as typical IWC making a mountain out of a mole hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7ti--42l7Q from last year

And as Brian said, he's publicly said he doesn't want or like to swear on camera, yet has used the other f word numerous times with cameras rolling. At some point he clearly doesn't consider it bad to say, and there's only one reason for that

I know it shall set you free

Shootember: The Miz and Truth team didn't get enough love. Smoking R Truth, the duo rap theme, beating up Del Rio and Punk and a camera man inside a Cell, etc. Good times

Miz honestly earned my love. He didn't start out as an actual wrestler, but goddamn. For the last 6 or so years, whether singles or tag team, whether Truth or Morrison, the dude always had something genuinely memorable or funny or actually good. I can't think of more than a few in the same period, in the same company, I can say the same about

Sephzilla

He's not. I'm gonna go whole hog irl and bet that he'll tap in the most humiliating way possible, tap to strikes

Oh god that would be amazing. I think this is Punk's future

giphy.gif

Saturday's going to be amazing because I'm going to be watching the fight with a Punk mark and a guy who loathes Punk

I'd mark out for one final Kane world title run.

He can beat Finn so only he can claim to be the true Demon.

Mania broke me so bad I would have genuinely settled for him just winning the ARMBAR and then calling it a career. But no, they had him eliminated by fucking Baron Corbin

So fuck them, let it burn. I hope he sticks around for another 4 decades chokeslamming new generations of indy people and homemade stars alike. They don't want to give him one last moment, make it up by not having a last moment. Forever Kane

Kaladin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7ti--42l7Q from last year

And as Brian said, he's publicly said he doesn't want or like to swear on camera, yet has used the other f word numerous times with cameras rolling. At some point he clearly doesn't consider it bad to say, and there's only one reason for that

He IS from the south. He was probably raised around people who used it and doesn't think of it being as bad of a word. Again, using a word on a live mic is different from cameras picking it up unintentionally.

I'm not trying to come across as defending the guy, I'm just trying to understand the accusations. I would drop him as a favorite if I saw something that was a smoking gun that said he was a homophobe, but I have yet to see that smoking gun.

Yeah, I'm sick of the Shield guys hogging the main event at this point. Ambrose needs to drop the title fast because #AustinWasRight and Ambrose is super half assing it. Rollins needs to get the fuck away from the main event picture for a while because, kayfabe, the dude keeps losing world title matches lately. And Roman needs more time in the midcard to grow.

then who replaces them?

You take out Roman and Seth and who's there to face Owens? Sami for the 1 billionth time? Ruin Big Cass by giving him his Ryback vs CM Punk moment?

guess we gotta turn Jericho face

Sephzilla

A Rusev monster face run at the top of the card could be fun. Big E getting a singles push would be nice (keep Xavier as his mouthpiece). Big Cass would make a respectable filler feud. Cesaro would be a good filler feud for KO as well.

imBask

Banned
Legit question - Does anyone here think Punk is actually winning?

Yes. I think he's been training hard and Dana put him in a winning condition. People are shitting on him based on a god damn gif of an uppercut from 2 years ago, it's ridiculous

I have zero doubt in my mind, he's winning

Sephzilla

Do I want him to win. Yes

Do I expect him to win? No

But we are in the year of the upset
He should be the underdog.

Unless Punk is packing crazy power in his hands or he is a savant in the guard he's going to lose.

Yes. I think he's been training hard and Dana put him in a winning condition. People are shitting on him based on a god damn gif of an uppercut from 2 years ago, it's ridiculous

I have zero doubt in my mind, he's winning

I'm not crazy like NVM is but I'd be willing to make a month long avatar bet around #PunkWins and #PunkLoses

He IS from the south. He was probably raised around people who used it and doesn't think of it being as bad of a word. Again, using a word on a live mic is different from cameras picking it up unintentionally.

I'm not trying to come across as defending the guy, I'm just trying to understand the accusations. I would drop him as a favorite if I saw something that was a smoking gun that said he was a homophobe, but I have yet to see that smoking gun.
The word being so commonly used has definitely removed the connection for a lot of people, generally it's the same thing as people saying things are "gay" when they mean they're stupid. Doesn't excuse it and that connection is a whole other issue, but a lot of people just use it as generic insult without thinking about what they're actually saying

If someone is in the Wrasslin' business they should really be more careful with what they're saying but obviously if you're in the moment and trying to get a reaction you're going to use the strongest word choices that come to mind

It makes it look a lot worse when you have "the gay community??" thing making him actually look uncomfortable with those people instead of spouting dumb shit without thinking

The last AAW show I went to had a few performers saying it, generally seemed like the crowd was against it until some drunk inbred fuck in the crowd thinks it's hilarious

So, as someone unfamiliar with Finn's NJPW work, was he better in ring NJPW? He has a cool look, and his entrances are pretty cool, but I don't think I have ever seen him have an amazing match. They're largely just competent. Anyone have any suggestions for great matches from him?

His match with Gedo is a must watch, the crowd's amazing for that one. Any of his matches with Tanahashi are good and there's a good match with Okada from Kizuna Road 2013. As a Jr. heavyweight, I thought his best matches came in tags - Apollo 55 vs the Motor City Machine Guns, or Apollo 55 vs Omega & Ibushi.

Top Bottom