• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin 2016 |OT| - Can Punks Catch as Catch Can Too?

Mahonay

Banned
Is it really a transitional champ if the reign lasts for 4+ months?

Cause I don't think AJ is losing the title until at least the Rumble. At least I really hope so, cause the WWE title really needs him to put on MOTY candidates every month for it to feel prestigious.
Anything to save us from these boring ass Ambrose matches. At least AJ should get something good out of him on Sunday.

Heroman

Banned
Is it really a transitional champ if the reign lasts for 4+ months?

Cause I don't think AJ is losing the title until at least the Rumble. At least I really hope so, cause the WWE title really needs him to put on MOTY candidates every month for it to feel prestigious.
They have no one on SD that can deliver moty matches till RR

gun_haver

Paige is 24 fucking years old. She could go back to uni and become a biologist if she wants. She's got nothing but time (well, hopefully a decent chunk of money from WWE, too)

But rip em up before you go Paige. Let's make this messy. I want the god damned truth.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is it really a transitional champ if it lasts for 4+ months?

Cause I don't think AJ is losing the title until at least the Rumble. The WWE title really needs him to put on MOTY candidates every month for it to feel prestigious.

Its as transitional as Jericho, Eddie, Rey, REDACTED were. They give the internet darlings their 2-3 month reign but it doesn't mean they will be contenders regularly.

Ive grown too cynical in my old age :(

gun_haver

Its as transitional as Jericho, Eddie, Rey, REDACTED were. They give the internet darlings their 2-3 month reign but it doesn't mean they will be contenders regularly.

aj is gonna be 40 in 9 fuckin months, just give him the title for god sake who knows how long we're gonna have him.

They have no one on SD that can deliver moty matches till RR
We'll see on Sunday. My hunch is that will be a great match; that match AJ had with Reigns at Extreme Rules was aces, afterall.

The difference with them is I really think they see AJ as at worst the #3 star on Smackdown. With Cena out for the rest of the year, he's definitely at least #2, even in the eyes of the guys that run the show.

Edit: I'm also not convinced that AJ is holding the belt for Cena, either, after he's been so intentionally pushed out of the world title spot at the last three WMs.

Zach

Whiplash is the Dean Ambrose of movies. One trick pony with nothing else going for it.

And those saying it was better than Birdman is lol. Birdman was more authentic and insightful to the world of theatre and actors than whiplash was to the jazz scene and musicians.
I'll have to ask my jazz master professor coworker dude what he thinks about it.

gun_haver

AJ is 39? O_O

yeah. i know he looks 5 years younger and moves like a 25 year old but he can't be going like this forever. the man's hitting 40 this coming june.

if he really is a genetic freak who knows, maybe we get 5 years out of him in WWE at this level, but i wouldn't bet on that, i'd bet on giving him his big time run sooner rather than later. the people are ready. the cena program is there. dean is trash in the ring for sure.

it's so frustrating cos i'm all about mic work, and dean is definitely the best on smackdown for that, but damn, we gotta get that belt off dean. he's had 1 single good match in a year against triple h at roadblock and the rest has been unwatchable filth.

Mahonay

Banned
tumblr_inline_o7gfbj5bhG1qhebd8_500.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The ending to the Lupus/Trauma match is really sweet despite having this
tumblr_od6x4ilpAU1tihmddo1_1280.jpg
In it.

His girlfriend unmasks him and then he proposes to her

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Lashley promo was pretty good. For someone who 'can't talk' he sure has been having a lot of quality interview/promos this year.

Its a big problem for WWE
Theyve hired styles, roode, joe, aries, etc. but they all old af already
They're young wwe wise. They don't have the mileage on them. They have like ten years left. If they were in WWE when they were 27, then I'd say they're old. The travel ages you more than anything.

gun_haver

Its a big problem for WWE
Theyve hired styles, roode, joe, aries, etc. but they all old af already

shinsuke's only 36 so could last years, although who knows if he'll stay there that whole time. joe is the type that can work into his 40's, he's 37 now. he'll be fine too.

aries + roode i haven't seen much of, and they're both closer to 40, so yeah on them. they both look great though, look in their prime.

NXT's main event region is heavy with 35+ guys right now.

see the issue is they are bring these guys in who are IN their prime, and then holding off on them. but maybe that's the plan, maybe it's to keep NXT seeming important. NXT would be looking utterly bereft of names right now with them - so sure, keep these guys hanging around, propping it up, and build the next stars in the meantime.

Zach

You guys haven't lived until you've seen some of these bottom-of-the-barrel wrassle looks in ECW. Lord Jesus.

I don't see the issue with propping up the business with guys who may "only" 5 years left in the tank. That's a lot of time you can use to build up the next class of young guys, and really, it's fine to even make some guys in his late 30's your biggest star. When you consider how much time Austin was out with injury, he was really only THE guy for about 4 years. And I think chasing that 10+ year Cena-esque dynasty has been an albatross hanging around the WWE's neck, and the big reason why they refuse to turn Reigns heel.

You shut up, Biggest-Geek-Ever!
230.gif

Don't give up, it's one of the harder bosses IMO

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
AJ was wildly underwhelming in TNA past like 2007 or 2008 until he went to NJPW. Sometimes it's not even training.

Zach

Don't give up, it's one of the harder bosses IMO
So, from what I can tell, it has three forms or whatever. The first is cake. I've made it through that segment without taking damage. And then it gets faster and more aggressive and starts poisoning my balls off and things get ugly. I made it through that once to get to crazy third form, which was just nonsense.

Iunno. I'll try again in a day or two. Good to know it's one of the harder bosses.

Mahonay

Banned
I don't see the issue with propping up the business with guys who may "only" 5 years left in the tank. That's a lot of time you can use to build up the next class of young guys, and really, it's fine to even make some guys in his late 30's your biggest star. When you consider how much time Austin was out with injury, he was really only THE guy for about 4 years. And I think chasing that 10+ year Cena-esque dynasty has been an albatross hanging around the WWE's neck, and the big reason why they refuse to turn Reigns heel.
I think people forget 4-5 years is a pretty significant period of time. They only had Austin for 5 years full-time in the ring.

And couldn't agree more about WWE spinning their wheels trying desperately to create another Cena.

Hmmm... this boss in Bloodborne sure is poisoning me a lot.

I guess I'll watch some Heat Wave 2000. -_-
I've beaten the game 6,000 times
never drew a dime
and that motherfucker has given me trouble every single time. Fuck BloodStarved. I recommend using fire paper and stocking up on antidote.

Oersted

She hasn't had a match in some time, right? Shit maybe I always skip em...

Last thing she was prominently featured in was the #DivasRevolution failure

I think people forget 4-5 years is a pretty significant period of time. They only had Austin for 5 years full-time in the ring.

And couldn't agree more about WWE spinning their wheels trying desperately to create another Cena.

They got Bayley and New Day. Latter is trash, but all of them are over. Its not soo bad. Not "have to rely on a Rock cousin" bad

Lothar

Banned
It wasn't effective because ratings and house show numbers dive-bombed. Austin was a great heel, but the casual audience didn't want to see that.

Ratings were going down before he turned heel. It's silly to blame low ratings on one of the few interesting things happening at the time. Even though most of us appreciated Austin's heel work, I think all of us know 2001 was nowhere near as good as 2000

Zach

AJ was wildly underwhelming in TNA past like 2007 or 2008 until he went to NJPW. Sometimes it's not even training.
Data West, Decider of Good Things, did you watch TNA even in its darkest days?
Has ECW aged the worst?
It's hard to say. I guess. Just because of production values. But they all get pretty disgusting at times. It's weird because southern wrasslin' WCW would be the classiest fed if it weren't for Vince Russo's run.

shinsuke's only 36 so could last years, although who knows if he'll stay there that whole time. joe is the type that can work into his 40's, he's 37 now. he'll be fine too.

aries + roode i haven't seen much of, and they're both closer to 40, so yeah on them. they both look great though, look in their prime.

NXT's main event region is heavy with 35+ guys right now.

see the issue is they are bring these guys in who are IN their prime, and then holding off on them. but maybe that's the plan, maybe it's to keep NXT seeming important. NXT would be looking utterly bereft of names right now with them - so sure, keep these guys hanging around, propping it up, and build the next stars in the meantime.

I think Joe would have been a great monster champ who an up and comer could have galvanised themselves as the next big by overcoming his reign. As it stands he was used as a transitional champ for another vet when he'll never have a place on the main roster. The show as a whole is way too focused on older workers right now from guys like Roo who have nothing going for them beyond a meme entrance theme and guys like Aries who don't stand a chance on the main shows outside of the cruiser-weight division which is currently populated by far more entertaining, far younger workers.

To be honest I think the women's roster looks much better than the men's right now. You have Asuka as the vet and then a few experienced indy workers with a lot of years left and a bunch of inexperienced talent. It feels like we'll get to see the workers grow over the year where as you look at incredibly talented guys on the main roster like Cien who are just being wasted for the sake of TNA hasbeens.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Data West, Decider of Good Things, did you watch TNA even in its darkest days?
What's considered its darkest days? I watched from the Fox Sports era up til the Fortune storyline I think and got bored up until the Matt Hardy storyline.

Top Bottom