• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin 2016 |OT| - Can Punks Catch as Catch Can Too?

Well the origins of kayfabe are from the carny days, when carnivals traveled around the country. It was used as a code word to let those know in surrounding areas that there were people in the area who weren't carnies, often referred to as 'marks.'

Kayfabe doesn't really exist at all anymore, mostly because the business has evolved into an actual business. I am not sure that kayfabe as it was has a place in the business today.

Bruce Prichard

Sephzilla

What? No pics yet of 'rasslers arriving at Cleveland's airport to be ringside for Punk on Saturday?

a45977c023ee45c7dda4071feb8eeffe.jpg

gun_haver

I know this is probably gonna be unpopular, but I came back in 2014 right when Bryan won the title from Orton and I've never really seen him have a run as champ. I wanna see that. Orton is cool, good on the mic (not the best but he's just got this 'i'm so cool i don't need to say cool things' tone in his voice), and he about to head on the downturn of his career. He's only 36, but he's been here forever.

He's a beautiful man, he could go into acting if he had that inclination. That's why he seems like he's winding down more than his age, which is still pretty low - it feels like he wants to go do other things with his life.

So before that happens, I'd like to see Orton vs Styles in a few months and have Orton take the title from AJ. Have a triple threat with AJ, Cena and Ortoin for the title. We're at a point now, or at least I am, where I'd be very entertained seeing any one of these three fellas take that belt.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Asuka's interview on NXT is hilarious in how she's like "remember all that heel stuff I did in the build for the Bayley match? Forget about that; I'm a face."

She's super cute tho.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Right, I'm off on holiday for a week. Last time I did this, you fuckers got the thread closed. Try not to break it whilst I'm gone.

pnTfozW.gif
See ya on the other side, pal.

gun_haver

Looks like I'm gonna be shooting ringside for the first time for a big indie promotion in these coming days my friends. I'm excited. I just seem to be gravitating slowly towards this business folks.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Also, Athena is gonna be a big thing you can already see it.
KuGsj.gif

That finisher might destroy her spine but its a total crowd popper. They need to get Nikki Cross in and push her to make the division seem less like Athena, Asuka and a dozen jobbers.

Asuka's interview on NXT is hilarious in how she's like "remember all that heel stuff I did in the build for the Bayley match? Forget about that; I'm a face."

She's super cute tho.
That wasn't a face promo, she was supposed to come off as overconfident. It just doesn't help that her rough English is so endearing

Kawaii lady that's also the most terrifying woman in the ring is a hell of a gimmick though

bjork

What happens if NVM wins? I've attempted to ignore his excessive posts about the bet until now.

(Take that, NeoGAF Vince McMahon!)

(I wonder what NVM's real name is. I wonder what all of your real names are...)

I am referred to as Uncle Luke by some.

Zach

gun_haver: Bill
Zach: Zach
bjork: Luke
Bluekaveli: Paul
NeoGAF Vince McMahon: Sunflower
Browny: Brown

Where can I sell this information?

klonere

Banned
Also, Athena is gonna be a big thing you can already see it.
KuGsj.gif

That finisher might destroy her spine but its a total crowd popper. They need to get Nikki Cross in and push her to make the division seem less like Athena, Asuka and a dozen jobbers.

Mandy Rose is apparently a natural which is something that hasn't been said about any of the PC women since Charlotte.

Still funny that, exactly like the men, they have to rely on people who have spent significant amounts of time on the indie circuit to actually make a difference in NXT.

Bingo halls > Multi million dollar training facility, when it comes to being educated about pro wrasslin apparently.

Angry Grimace

Mandy Rose is apparently a natural which is something that hasn't been said about any of the PC women since Charlotte.

Still funny that, exactly like the men, they have to rely on people who have spent significant amounts of time on the indie circuit to actually make a difference in NXT.

Bingo halls > Multi million dollar training facility, when it comes to being educated about pro wrasslin apparently.

That's kind of a side-effect of NXT's existence - coming from the indie circuit tends to make the NXT crowd pop for you.

bjork

After about 6 hours sitting up straight and another 2.5 laying on my back, my neck is actually way less shitty than it was earlier.

gun_haver: Bill
Zach: Zach
bjork: Luke
Bluekaveli: Paul
NeoGAF Vince McMahon: Sunflower
Browny: Brown

Where can I sell this information?

My information is worth zero, so idk

klonere

Banned
That's kind of a side-effect of NXT's existence - coming from the indie circuit tends to make the NXT crowd pop for you.

Apart from Tye I can't think of an act that has an interesting character or in ring style that comes from the PC. This is more than "indie cred". Crews wasn't that over by the end of his run. Crowe flopped hard. TM61 are just about recovering now.

PC tends to churn out some real boring ass wrestlers.

Angry Grimace

Apart from Tye I can't think of an act that has an interesting character or in ring style that comes from the PC. This is more than "indie cred". Crews wasn't that over by the end of his run. Crowe flopped hard. TM61 are just about recovering now.

PC tends to churn out some real boring ass wrestlers.

I can see kind of why Vince might be skeptical of NXT - its almost impossible at this point for anyone to hit the main roster as a legit star unless they came through NXT as a star and NXT's crowds have a heavy bias towards indie stars they've either seen or have been told are great.

As much as people don't like to admit it, the Full Sail crowd does tend to lead main roster crowds; this is why I thought it was asinine that "main roster crowds won't get Bayley" or the theory that Shinsuke Nakamura won't be a big deal on the main roster. Because it's bullshit - Nakamura will be literally the biggest star in wrestling the second he shows up, you can quote me on it. The women's division is the most exaggerated example of that - Asuka will be huge on the main roster and so will Ember Moon and Nikki Cross, for no other reason than they're over with NXT.

It's in that sense that you can really understand how much they fucked up with La Sombra, who by rights should be the big Latino star they're looking for. I was skeptical about the "put a mask on a dashing guy" thing just like HHH said, but he comes off as a bland as fuck WWE-bred babyface.

klonere

Banned
I can see kind of why Vince might be skeptical of NXT - its almost impossible at this point for anyone to hit the main roster as a legit star unless they came through NXT as a star and NXT's crowds have a heavy bias towards indie stars they've either seen or have been told are great.

As much as people don't like to admit it, the Full Sail crowd does tend to lead main roster crowds; this is why I thought it was asinine that "main roster crowds won't get Bayley" or the theory that Shinsuke Nakamura won't be a big deal on the main roster. Because it's bullshit - Nakamura will be literally the biggest star in wrestling the second he shows up, you can quote me on it. The women's division is the most exaggerated example of that - Asuka will be huge on the main roster and so will Ember Moon and Nikki Cross, for no other reason than they're over with NXT.

It's in that sense that you can really understand how much they fucked up with La Sombra, who by rights should be the big Latino star they're looking for. I was skeptical about the "put a mask on a dashing guy" thing just like HHH said, but he comes off as a bland as fuck WWE-bred babyface.

There just seems to be this inescapable organizational flaw within the company when it comes to making new stars and it has seeped into the fundamentals of the PC.

Or maybe its working by design to throw out as many "bland as fuck WWE-bred babyface (or heels)" as you put it. Less hassle dealing with anyone that might disrupt brand image or creative direction.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like I'm gonna be shooting ringside for the first time for a big indie promotion in these coming days my friends. I'm excited. I just seem to be gravitating slowly towards this business folks.
Neat. Make friends with BronsonLee, he will tell you who to avoid.

gun_haver

What we've got right now is a situation where WWE has let open the flood gates to all of the biggest international talent and stars into their company, whether it is directly to the main roster or through NXT, and we're going to see if this actually pans out.

There are three potential outcomes, from WWE's perspective:

1 - Most desirable. This leads WWE into a new era of mainstream acceptance and excitment (least likely).

2 - Medium desirable. This leads the WWE to capture the hearts and minds of the 4-5 million hardcore wrestling fans in the US, and allows them to expands to millions of fans internationally. We know we have a couple million in the UK, and then add on to that. An international, decisively non-attitude era WWE.

3. Least desirable. This endeavour tanks and doesn't lead to international integration, but simply lower ratings because few of these indie stars they have brought up have the charisma to compete with infinite entertainment options out there. WWE becomes smaller and lesser because of this, and has to completely readjust once again.

But none of these outcomes at the end, they are simply the point where we go 'okay, that's how that era worked out', and then we move on.

Top Bottom