• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin 2016 |OT| - Can Punks Catch as Catch Can Too?

punk_ufchwsli.png
/dead

Yeah, someone is getting choked out on Monday and we'll get a passive aggressive note from commentary about "stars getting submitted just like in the UFC/octagon!"

What are the chances we see a squash match tomorrow that is supposed to be a rib at this?

Also, I see a lot of people saying they respect Punk for trying, and he did his speech and all.

But isn't it all a big sham? Punk got paid a lot to do this, and he got to do it not because of his training in the sport, but because he was a celebrity.

Isnt that a bad message? Isn't it also hypocritical considering Punk disliked WWE legends for coming into the program and taking away opportunities of the guys who were there on the road all year?

I'm just trying to understand that. It always rubbed me the wrong way when he called his UFC aspirations a "bucket list" item. It felt really disrespectful to other fighters to even have this sham of a match. Or does UFC not work like WWE wrestling in that sense?

What are the chances we see a squash match tomorrow that is supposed to be a rib at this?

Also, I see a lot of people saying they respect Punk for trying, and he did his speech and all.

But isn't it all a big sham? Punk got paid a lot to do this, and he got to do it not because of his training in the sport, but because he was a celebrity.

Isnt that a bad message? Isn't it also hypocritical considering Punk disliked WWE legends for coming into the program and taking away opportunities of the guys who were there on the road all year?

I'm just trying to understand that. It always rubbed me the wrong way when he called his UFC aspirations a "bucket list" item. It felt really disrespectful to other fighters to even have this sham of a match. Or does UFC not work like WWE wrestling in that sense?

It's absolutely hypocritical. Even in the video package, Punk essentially said "Some people say I shouldn't be here or don't deserve to be here, but to hell with them."

Yeeeeeeep. Punk is full of contradictions.

Cagey

Banned

A multimillionaire 37 year old took some time in his retirement to thrillseek. Some train to climb Mt. Everest, he trained for a pro UFC fight.

It's inherently disrespectful and it emphasizes the carnival nature of UFC. Punk loses nothing besides hearing his right ear for a night.

He's not even The Rock popping in for a Wrestlemania appearance and paycheck; in this scenario he's Shaq.

gun_haver

i know i'm turning here but i've gotta say

i really expected more out of him. punk come on pal, 2 years, and that's all you had? that was it? i thought you were hiding a little something extra, a little something in the back pocket.

i hope he does fight again cos that wasn't even a fight. as much as i hate to say this, mickey gall ripped monday so wide it was friday this evening.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGe21q7lmNk

Of course Nate later got a push and tried to play the little company man. Sad to see what happens to the 'real' ones when money gets dangled in their face

I'm trying to figure out why are people trying to analyse this shit? It's fucking fake. There's nothing to talk about, go on about your lives. Jeez.

Verendus

Banned
The Rock leaves WWE with no hard feelings but gives plenty of notice, becomes one of the biggest movie stars in the world, then returns as he pleases to headline when he desires.

Brock Lesnar leaves WWE after hating the organization but gives plenty of notice, becomes UFC champion, then returns and continues as one of the biggest stars there.

Brotista leaves WWE after hating the organization but gives plenty of notice, wins his MMA fight, becomes a Hollywood star, and could return anytime to main event Wrasslin'Mania.

Punk leaves WWE after hating the organization, gets destroyed in his debut by another fighter who has no business being there, and... probably continues to do nothing worthwhile while saying his new role in the carnival of UFC is yet to be over.

He's not really taking anyone's spot though. He's just one guy on one of the 10,000 cards UFC has every year.

Syder

If you were Punk and the opportunity is there, would you turn it down? Punk fulfilled his promise to compete and got schooled by a professional. It ended up being a sideshow, Dana and UFC look carny, in my view.

If you were Punk and the opportunity is there, would you turn it down? Punk fulfilled his promise to compete and got schooled by a professional. It ended up being a sideshow, Dana and UFC look carny, in my view.
You could say that about a lot of the situations that he got mad at. It's much more ridiculous in UFC. It's ultimately on White and UFC but it doesn't make Punk less of a hypocrite.
He's not really taking anyone's spot though. He's just one guy on one of the 10,000 cards UFC has every year.
This is just false.

His match wasn't the main event and he was always going to help make the career of whomever he fought. It wasn't like he came in over night, he trained for 2 years, and he didn't go up against a big name opponent.

You can't go on tirades all of the time against a guy and his actions and then go perform essentially the same actions elsewhere and act like it's okay.

He took main card spot on a PPV card that could have gone to a better fighter with more legit experience. All of the hype on this card went to Punk, and that time could have been better spent building up a guy who is more legitimate and talented.

Top Bottom