• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin 2016 |OT| - Can Punks Catch as Catch Can Too?

Near anyone would get their ass kicked for five minutes for a small fraction of what Punk is getting for the match (I mean, fuck I'd like to know how much Gall is getting compared to him), I don't really get the 'he's such an amazing guy to have the guts to do something like this unlike all of you' comments.

NYAXzQM.png

Who wants it?

gun_haver

yeah it's gonna be bad for punk in the short term, but in the long term it'll be fine.

i mean how fast would ryback get killed in a fight. probably the same length. everyone's gonna enjoy taking the piss out of punk and don't get me wrong - it IS funny. he had nothing. but he tried and he got shook and took.

I don't find this whole situation with Punk to be something to "respect" or "give props to". He wasn't a regular MMA fighter fighting through a minor injury that came back to bite him, or an experienced fighter coming out in his twilight years. He was a public figure who leveraged his fanbase (which he despises) to secure himself a spot on a PPV card and a fat paycheck, giving any up-and-comers a loud and clear signal that working your way up means shit.

Maybe if he won, or lasted a round, it would have justified this whole debacle. But hey, guess what? He didn't. Tough titties. He was an amateur, who fought like an amateur, and got a dose of reality.

So yeah, no props. Just like I wouldn't give props for Jordan trying out for baseball, or Mickey Rourke wanting to be a boxer.

Zach

Zach, I'm gonna shoot here.

That show is actually amazing from top to bottom. If it's not an A+, no show is.
I definitely do not agree with "amazing from top to bottom." It's been pretty solid from top to bottom, with some stupid RAW-y backstage segments here and there.

Near anyone would get their ass kicked for five minutes for a small fraction of what Punk is getting for the match (I mean, fuck I'd like to know how much Gall is getting compared to him), I don't really get the 'he's such an amazing guy to have the guts to do something like this unlike all of you' comments.

forreal. i also think if you gave that paycheck to some dude in the local mma gym the fight would have gone like this or possibly better.

2 years training for that. i'm impressed he got out of a hold though.

I don't find this whole situation with Punk to be something to "respect" or "give props to". He wasn't a regular MMA fighter fighting through a minor injury that came back to bite him, or an experienced fighter coming out in his twilight years. He was a public figure who leveraged his fanbase (which he despises) to secure himself a spot on a PPV card and a fat paycheck, giving any up-and-comers a loud and clear signal that working your way up means shit.

Maybe if he won, or lasted a round, it would have justified this whole debacle. But hey, guess what? He didn't. Tough titties. He was an amateur, who fought like an amateur, and got a dose of reality.

So yeah, no props. Just like I wouldn't give props for Jordan trying out for baseball, or Mickey Rourke wanting to be a boxer.
Michael Jordan and Mickey Rourke were much better than whatever the fuck that just was from Punk. Nitpick but I definitely agree with your overall point.

Syder

You could say that about a lot of the situations that he got mad at. It's much more ridiculous in UFC. It's ultimately on White and UFC but it doesn't make Punk less of a hypocrite.
You can't go on tirades all of the time against a guy and his actions and then go perform essentially the same actions elsewhere and act like it's okay.
Definitely hypocritical but I think we just have to accept that UFC doesn't show MMA in the best light and, make no mistake, Dana will happily host another CM Punk shitshow. Also, Phil Brooks ain't CM Punk, I believe Punk meant what he said in his post-fight speech but let's not get it twisted this was all about ticking something off his bucket list and gettin' paid. Mission accomplished.

He's not really taking anyone's spot though. He's just one guy on one of the 10,000 cards UFC has every year.

I think trying to draw parallels between the two situations is a stretch anyway.

Punk also didn't like that those returning legends would main event Wrestlemanias and actually go over and win titles, and be the focus of long programs.

Punks situation is so different, he got buried, his career in UFC is over now. And now Gall has a bigger name because of it.

Definitely hypocritical but I think we just have to accept that UFC doesn't show MMA in the best light and, make no mistake, Dana will happily host another CM Punk shitshow. Also, Phil Brooks ain't CM Punk, I believe Punk meant what he said in his post-fight speech but let's not get it twisted this was all about ticking something off his bucket list and gettin' paid. Mission accomplished.
You could say the same thing about 'Dwayne' who Punk and the Internet were mad at for doing literally the same thing except that 'Dwayne' is actually great at what he was coming back to. It was a bucket list moment for him too.

I think trying to draw parallels between the two situations is a stretch anyway.

Punk also didn't like that those returning legends would main event Wrestlemanias and actually go over and win titles, and be the focus of long programs.

Punks situation is so different, he got buried, his career in UFC is over now. And now Gall has a bigger name because of it.
Punk made Gall look strong. You Roman marks mad?

Punk made a new star in the ufc. He also got Daniel Bryan his defying moment at WM 30.

Punk is a genius.

Part of me really hoped that Punk would represent the sport of fake fighting well in the UFC. Brock got caught in his first UFC fight but he dominated most of the fight and inexperience lead to his defeat.

It sounds like Punk didn't do so well. Hopefully it's out of his system and UFC doesn't book celebrity matches in the future.

Punk's return to wrestling is a bit harder to book now that he's been so thoroughly destroyed in another arena. Not impossible to give him credibility but I don't think this is something they can ignore. Brock always had diverticulitis as an excuse and he was the UFC champ. Credibility as one of the most dangerous men in the world was pretty easy for WWE to enhance.

Punk would need to come back as a heel or some kind of underdog face trying to rebuild his legacy. Before this fight he could have walked back into the wwe main event scene - now? I don't think it would be as straight forward.

Still, a lot of respect to him for giving it a shot and getting a payday. No respect to UFC for allowing this kind of stunt booking to make it to ppv.

He took main card spot on a PPV card that could have gone to a better fighter with more legit experience. All of the hype on this card went to Punk, and that time could have been better spent building up a guy who is more legitimate and talented.

His fight was even ahead of Faber's on the card. Faber, a guy who's the same age, been in that company 6 years and can't buy a fucking title shot or his own show to hype a fight.

Syder

You could say the same thing about 'Dwayne' who Punk and the Internet were mad at for doing literally the same thing except that 'Dwayne' is actually great at what he was coming back to. It was a bucket list moment for him too.
They deserve the criticism they get.

Punk should've fought some fat 40 year old on the Pre-Lims but that wouldn't have brought in nearly as many eyes and money.

Toki767

I don't know why people think Punk would go back to WWE or TNA.

He's rich and he doesn't spend a ton of money.

He could never work an entire day in his life again and he'd still have a ton of money when he grows old and dies.

The punk loss wouldnt sting so bad if punk wasnt a d bag for the last two years i can only imagine his twitter its probably in flames at this point

Also, I see a lot of people saying they respect Punk for trying, and he did his speech and all.

But isn't it all a big sham? Punk got paid a lot to do this, and he got to do it not because of his training in the sport, but because he was a celebrity.

Isnt that a bad message? Isn't it also hypocritical considering Punk disliked WWE legends for coming into the program and taking away opportunities of the guys who were there on the road all year?

I'm just trying to understand that. It always rubbed me the wrong way when he called his UFC aspirations a "bucket list" item. It felt really disrespectful to other fighters to even have this sham of a match. Or does UFC not work like WWE wrestling in that sense?

I might be wrong, but I seem to remember in the WWE his issue was with management and he always went out of the way to defend talent accepting favourable contracts. I think he's a piece of shit for pushing all of the blame on the people in charge, but I don't know if it's all that hypocritical of him?

I don't know why people think Punk would go back to WWE or TNA.

He's rich and he doesn't spend a ton of money.

He could never work an entire day in his life again and he'd still have a ton of money when he grows old and dies.
Ego and he's only 37. This will be the first time he truly has no public goals. He'll be back. I'd rather he not be but I'd be shocked if he isn't.

Top Bottom