• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin 2016 |OT| - Can Punks Catch as Catch Can Too?

UXpluwu.gif

Matt transcends wrestling.

Kaladin

Phil "Pepsi" Brooks really embarrassed himself Saturday night. He got a shot that many fighters would kill for, took a year and a half training and punched himself before getting his ass kicked. Go big or go home, Punk didn't go anywhere.

Mahonay

Banned
No guys like Ziggler, bray, Kane, Corbin, crews, nikki, niamo , the hype bros, natty, Carmella ,the uso, and other. Miz is the exception not the rule.
Corbin, Crews, and Carmella are still insanely early in their careers. So many wrestlers over the years had really shitty starts, so no fucking way could you possibly just write them off as lost causes already.
H
Usos are heel now at least. They helped get Slater and Rhyno pretty damn over in that match.

Ziggler, barf. Nikki, barf. Natty, barf. Naomi, barf. Hype Bros, barfing and pooping at the same time.

Kane is eternal. Kane is life.

EDIT:
Forgot Bray. Umm, maybe he should try TNA? Broken Bray Wyatt.

Mahonay

Banned
Phil "Pepsi" Brooks really embarrassed himself last night. He got a shot that many fighters would kill for, took a year and a half training and punched himself before getting his ass kicked. Go big or go home, Punk didn't go anywhere.
I don't understand why Jack Swaggy hasn't left and went off to train for UFC already while he still has some time left. Guy is a beast. But maybe doing nothing and just collecting a paycheck is more appealing to him. Also I know it would be a lot harder for him to get on a card since he's not really famous.

Ithil

No guys like Ziggler, bray, Kane, Corbin, crews, nikki, niamo , the hype bros, natty, Carmella ,the uso, and other. Miz is the exception not the rule.

Ziggler is dead in the water, yes, he's had many chances to reinvent himself or evolve and ignored them every time.
Bray can be fixed by a face turn, he's much more suited to it.
Kane is Kane.
Corbin, yeah, I don't see him ever going anywhere.
Crews just needs a character, it's way too early to write him off.
Nikki is garbage, yes.
Naomi is doing ok right now, she'll never be their top female star but whatever.
Hype Bros, yeah jobbers for life.
Nattie is doing ok as well, she's in the late stages of her WWE career anyway.
Carmella is garbage, yes.
Usos are in the middle of being reinvented, too early to write them off.

Syder

Apparently WWE finally took down that Royal Rumble video of CM Punk's ass.

Corbin, Crews, and Carmella are still insanely early in their careers. So many wrestlers over the years had really shitty starts, so no fucking way could you possibly just write them off as lost causes already.
Bray is only 29 too. Anyone in their 20s/early 30s is easily salvageable, especially on SD where there's experienced talent to put over the youth.

Heroman

Banned

Usos are heel now at least. They helped get Slater and Rhyno pretty damn over in that match.

Ziggler, barf. Nikki, barf. Natty, barf. Naomi, barf. Hype Bros, barfing and pooping at the same time.

Kane is eternal. Kane is life.

WWE has show time and time again that it never to early to write people of , I mean do I even need to bring breeze, or paige or wade or ceasro etc.
Ziggler is dead in the water, yes, he's had many chances to reinvent himself or evolve and ignored them every time.
Bray can be fixed by a face turn, he's much more suited to it.
Kane is Kane.
Corbin, yeah, I don't see him ever going anywhere.
Crews just needs a character, it's way too early to write him off.
Nikki is garbage, yes.
Naomi is doing ok right now, she'll never be their top female star but whatever.
Hype Bros, yeah jobbers for life.
Nattie is doing ok as well, she's in the late stages of her WWE career anyway.
Carmella is garbage, yes.
Usos are in the middle of being reinvented, too early to write them off.
Dude bray cant be fixed dude, he lost to fucking kane not once but 2 times

WWE has show time and time again that it never to early to write people of , I mean do I even need to bring breeze, or paige or wade or ceasro etc.

Dude bray cant be fixed dude, he lost to fucking kane not once but 2 times

That brief face turn before he got injured was looking good. Would've been hype.

Caderfix

Phil "Pepsi" Brooks really embarrassed himself Saturday night. He got a shot that many fighters would kill for, took a year and a half training and punched himself before getting his ass kicked. Go big or go home, Punk didn't go anywhere.

He trained for only 2 years, was injured twice, had no amateur or professional record and his debut was against a FAR more experienced, younger fighter who's a Jiu Jitsu brown belt and has been training and fighting for the better part of his life. Punk did not embarrass himself, he did exactly what was expected and what would've happened to anyone in the same conditions.

The only thing that ended up looking bad is UFC, as they shouldn't make freak fights like that. They should know better and keep things serious, respecting both the sport and the roster.

Anyone who thought that two years was enough to build a MMA fighter from the ground up to compete in the UFC has no idea about the level of excellence required to be a professional fighter in the big leagues.

imBask

Banned
He trained for only 2 years, was injured twice, had no amateur or professional record and his debut was against a FAR more experienced, younger fighter who's a Jiu Jitsu brown belt and has been training and fighting for the better part of his life. Punk did not embarrass himself, he did exactly what was expected and what would've happened to anyone in the same conditions.

The only thing that ended up looking bad is UFC, as they shouldn't make freak fights like that. They should know better and keep tings serious, respecting both the sport and the roster.

Anyone who thought that two years is enough to build an MMA fighter from the ground up to compete in the UFC has no idea about the level of excellence required to be a professional fighter in the big leagues.

lol shutup mark CM Punk looked like a fool XDDDDDDDDDD, LAUGH AT HIM for getting a huge paycheck

I don't understand why Jack Swaggy hasn't left and went off to train for UFC already while he still has some time left. Guy is a beast. But maybe doing nothing and just collecting a paycheck is more appealing to him. Also I know it would be a lot harder for him to get on a card since he's not really famous.
The back DM said he thought about doing it last year but age is the factor. Swagger is killing it on Superstars apparently!

Mahonay

Banned
God I miss him. I didn't know who the hell he was before NxT but flew into my top five before he got unlucky. Will he ever return or is he done?
With how insanely close to death or full body paralysis he came, he's very likely done. WWE renewed his performance contract a month or so ago, which is probably a goodwill gesture.

The only thing that ended up looking bad is UFC, as they shouldn't make freak fights like that. They should know better and keep things serious, respecting both the sport and the roster.

Anyone who thought that two years was enough to build a MMA fighter from the ground up to compete in the UFC has no idea about the level of excellence required to be a professional fighter in the big leagues.

I wouldn't say he embarrassed himself, but he was embarrassed all the same. Because he got to show basically nothing (a tiny bit of jits defense). Two years of training isn't enough to be a top level MMA fighter, definitely, but he didn't really get to show anything he learned in those two years and I think it's pretty fair to call that embarrassing.

Sephzilla

I feel sorry for CM Punk now, honestly. Dude spent two years of his life training and didn't even get to show any offense and got demolished halfway into the first round. Please come back to WWE before you get killed.

klonere

Banned
lol shutup mark CM Punk looked like a fool XDDDDDDDDDD, LAUGH AT HIM for getting a huge paycheck

He took a big paycheque away from another fighter to embarrass himself on a huge stage.

He's basically on the level of a celebrity performer at Wrestlemania. Actually, he's Jon Stewart, a money mark who can force himself onto the stage despite absolutely sucking at it and bringing down the people involved in his shit.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
I can't believe I was ringside live to see AJ Styles win the WWE title.

Even 12 hours later, it seems like a dream.

imBask

Banned
He took a big paycheque away from another fighter to embarrass himself on a huge stage.

He's basically on the level of a celebrity performer at Wrestlemania. Actually, he's Jon Stewart, a money mark who can force himself onto the stage despite absolutely sucking at it and bringing down the people involved in his shit.

If Dana White comes to me and offers me X millions to train for 2 years and fight Gall, i'd probably do it too

as cader said, UFC looks terrible in all of this, CM Punk had no business being in a fight like this

Fox318

Striking is a fucking hard thing to learn and Swaggy probably doesn't want to put the hours in and the beatings in to get good at it.

klonere

Banned
If Dana White comes to me and offers me X millions to train for 2 years and fight Gall, i'd probably do it too

as cader said, UFC looks terrible in all of this, CM Punk had no business being in a fight like this

Agreed, UFC came off pretty terribly in this.

Especially if Gall gets destroyed in his next fight.

jmdajr

I don't hate Jon Stewart but the analogy is pretty much spot on. It really is no different than when people that don't belong step into a WWE ring.

Even though Punk was delusional, I guess either UFC people are stupid, or just didn't care care. They saw dollar signs. Personally I think that's the last time they do this, unless they add a celebrity tier.

Outside of the money made by UFC and Punk, both Pro Wrestling and MMA has been devalued. Like for real.
Everyone looks bad.

He didn't take anything from anyone, he gave Gall a spot if nothing else. UFC have like a million cards with plenty of jabrones nobody knows or cares about.

Sephzilla

I have a feeling Swagger is perfectly content being a mid-bottom card WWE talent and doesn't have aspirations to do much else. Plus, he'd probably suck in MMA just like he sucks in WWE.

Remember that Royal Rumble where Bray went on a tear, eliminated a bunch of people, dumped out Daniel Bryan at the height of Yesmania, got the Iron Man run to the very end, then was tossed out like garbage by Kane and Big Show? That's Bray's career.

Anth0ny

I love Broken Matt Hardy but y'all are ridiculous

AJ is the wrestler of the year and it's not even remotely close

yep.

omega is above matt. so is nakamura. and tana.

and shane o mac.

Remember that Royal Rumble where Bray went on a tear, eliminated a bunch of people, dumped out Daniel Bryan at the height of Yesmania, got the Iron Man run to the very end, then was tossed out like garbage by Kane and Big Show? That's Bray's career.

the only thing memorable about bray's entire career is him defeating bryan twice at the peak of Yesmania (both rumbles)

literally remember nothing else besides spooky promos and losing feuds that all blend together at this point

imBask

Banned
Swagger is presumably getting 275k to workout, show up backstage and smoke weed. It's a dream job, and added to the fact that he's working for/with the best drug dealers in the world

yep.

omega is above matt. so is nakamura. and tana.

and shane o mac.

the only thing memorable about bray's entire career is him defeating bryan twice at the peak of Yesmania (both rumbles)

literally remember nothing else besides spooky promos and losing feuds that all blend together at this point

Oersted

Stewart gets a pass. Cena/Rollins was fine and New Day are normally the ones dragging everything to shit.

It's too bad WWE doesn't have, if not a exchange just some deal in place with New Japan or somewhere like they and WCW use to. They could be sent out of the company for a while, let them gain further experience and be away from the main roster and most of our eyes for a year or so to let them reinvent themselves a bit.

Do people look at this picture and mentally remove everyone but Bryan and Punk?
Hey, Beth deserved better, unfortunately she came around at the wrong time.
I don't get why Carmella is doing a mid 2000s Fergie gimmick. Who thought that was a good idea?
It was fine when she was piggy backing on Enzo and Cass but seeing as her relationship with them hasn't even been mentioned since she's come up with absolutely no build or real character development it's obvious how hard they winged this draft even with months to prepare for it. She should've been down in NXT and been in the process of evolving instead of keeping the same shtick for three and a half months before getting prematurely called up.

Looks like he's punching himself.
faff6e3e88.gif

The first time I thought Punk was feigning a punch from the left but instead of going for a knee (which probably would've been better than that shitty punch) he threw that thing with his right hand and left himself completely open to be taken down. He absolutely shouldn't have rushed like that.

Fox318

Looks like he's punching himself.
faff6e3e88.gif

I was thinking about his fight again and there are so many things about his performance that speak to what punk is and what he should or should not do.

Punk picked this up as a hobby. I don't care what he says but this was his hobby. Just like him doing a comic book he didn't have the pressure that other people do or dont.

Punk's entire WWE career was him taking risks nobody else did because he knew he was right and he knew he could make money wrestling outside of the corporate machine of the WWE.

His UFC performance was that of an amateur who quite frankly looked like he didn't train 2 years. Punk kept on talking about things such as him getting a title shot if he stringed together 3 wins or talking about when he wins and such. Punk didn't have his lively hood on the line. He wasn't like so many UFC fighters working a part time job training day in and day out, going to grappling tournaments, having gym fight nights, and solely focusing on fighting and only fighting. He was enjoying the retired life, watching hockey games, and moonlighting as a comic book writer (with a ghost writer doing most of the work anyway.

He went to the UFC to collect a paycheck, not to improve as a martial artist or to truly test himself. He could have tested himself as a martial artist at a smaller show., grappling tournament, or as an amateur with rules that would have allowed him to grow as a fighter. Plus he waited too long and the guy he fought grew way faster as a fighter in a week than punk could in 2 years.

Here's what he needs to do:

1. He needs to look into his wife's eyes and tell her this is what he really wants to do and a performance to that level won't happen again. Him destroying his body and brain doesn't just affect him.
  2. He needs to understand that the people he are going against are fucking hungry. This is their life and this is everything to them. He can't go into the cage with striking skills to the level he showed in that fight.
  3. He needs to go to every single tournament for grappling he can go to. If there is a 7 person tournament in Shitsvillie Indiana he needs to get on a plane, if there is a seminar on jiu jitsu on his wife's birthday he needs to let her sit at home alone while he wrestles a firefighter with a purple belt in front of his son.
  4. If he gets injured to the point where he has to stop training for more than 2 days he should stop. If his body can't take it in the gym he is doing himself and his loved ones a disservice taking on a real fight
  5. There's a story of him not wanting to train with a gi and wanting to train with pros that's getting a ton of discussion. Punk shouldn't say shit to any coach. If his coach wants him to do yoga for 6 months and nothing else he needs to get into downward dog and shut the fuck up.
  6. During an interview with Helwanai he mentioned that he was sore or something and didn't want to show up to the gym for a 2 a day before the fight. His mindset for training should be if his coach asks him to stand still and get punched in the face he should say: "Yes Sir"

Everything about Punk felt exposed here. I mean he went into a sport where people put their lives at risk wearing tights that had "CM Punk" on them. He came out to his wrestling theme. He spent half his time talking about proving the fans wrong instead of trying to prove himself right.

And frankly if he ever wants to make real money again in wrestling then he has to win a pro fight in a convincing matter. Even if he has to go to japan and get a can or somebody to lay down for him like Shibata.

Kaladin

So this new era seems to be about all the new faces. Since the brand split we've had Finn Balor, Kevin Owens and now AJ Styles as heavyweight champs on their respective brands. Given this track record, it wouldn't be far fetched to have a Big Cass title run, or someone else completely out of left field.

You wanted them to push new stars? Here you go.

gun_haver

Regarding Punk/celebrities etc 'taking away' money from real competitors, or wrestlers, or whatever the case may be - first of all, not really, and secondly, so what?

UFC is a competitive sport, sure, but it's also got to entertain people to attract a large audience so that there is money coming in to pay these fighters in the first place. I've read that this PPV attracted a much bigger audience than is usual without one of the UFC big stars attached (or Brock). So how is Punk robbing MMA fighters blind by taking 1 spot in 1 PPV card, and exploding that PPV's audience? Seems like if anything, he got a lot more eyes on the other fighters on that card to me.

And this is another thing I don't get - media and entertainment isn't about giving everybody fair representation, it's about who is the most entertaining and gets the most eyes on things. It's like Ryback whining about how WWE people should all get equal pay, it's the most ridiculous thing ever and would just serve to kill the company quickly because anybody good would go elsewhere where they can get what they're worth.

UFC can make more money having these weird/celebrity type fights and still maintain its credibility in other areas. I think people are way too protective about that, as well.

Toki767

So this new era seems to be about all the new faces. Since the brand split we've had Finn Balor, Kevin Owens and now AJ Styles as heavyweight champs on their respective brands. Given this track record, it wouldn't be far fetched to have a Big Cass title run, or someone else completely out of left field.

You wanted them to push new stars? Here you go.
I don't think Owens counts as a new star. At least not compared to Balor and Styles.

klonere

Banned
I just....I need to know what...how....why Wyatt is booked the way he is. I want to know who thinks it's a good idea. I need to know why they think that. I want to know how he keeps taking it lying down.

It's killing me inside. I know there is precious little that makes sense in the WWE but Wyatt's booking has made almost zero sense over the last three years. They clearly put him in a prominent position at all times but book him like a prelim heel and abuse his talents on the mic as time filling, high-schooler's fiction tumblr quality scripted garbage.

Why?

Top Bottom