• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin 2016 |OT| - Can Punks Catch as Catch Can Too?

Kaladin

I got a couple of awesome pictures of the closing moments of last night's CWC. Glad I can finally share them:

14232630_10101815187102753_1495087226000258241_n.jpg

14212634_10101815187122713_851180458683232734_n.jpg

Pikma

Banned
The amount of shit Nintendo gets in this community is simply disgusting, I mean they're shit right now and they absolutely got nothing going on for them, they're a complete mess, but saying they have been shit for the last decade is ridiculous. And even if you argue their decisions have been actual shit (and they've been for the most part), what actually matters the most, the games they publish, have not.

DOOM just destroys everything so easily this year it's not even funny. DOOM is Brock Lesnar of video games in 2016.

1. DOOM
2. Star Fox Zero
3. Tokyo Mirage Sessions
4. Pocket Card Jockey
5. Fire Emblem Fates

Uncharted 4 and Federation Farce are officially getting demoted to the bingo halls. Blood and Wine also disappointed after the GOAT-tier Hearts of Stone.

SHOOTEMBER: What's even more stunning than the endlessly disappointing PS4 library is that I have not one, but two Japanimation games on my list.

bjork

The amount of shit Nintendo gets in this community is simply disgusting, I mean they're shit right now and they absolutely got nothing going on for them, they're a complete mess, but saying they have been shit for the last decade is ridiculous. And even if you argue their decisions have been actual shit (and they've been for the most part), what actually matters the most, the games they publish, have not.

I like animal crossing and the first wario ware.

Not much use for nintendo after about Mario Sunshine for me.

DOOM just destroys everything so easily this year it's not even funny. DOOM is Brock Lesnar of video games in 2016.

1. DOOM
2. Star Fox Zero
3. Tokyo Mirage Sessions
4. Pocket Card Jockey
5. Fire Emblem Fates

Uncharted 4 and Federation Farce are officially getting demoted to the bingo halls.

SHOOTEMBER: What's even more stunning than the endlessly disappointing PS4 library is that I have not one, but two Japanimation games on my list.

1. Stardew Valley
2. ?

Sephzilla

Nobody in their right mind is going to deny that first party Nintendo still isn't GOAT tier. The problem is you have to wade through a ton of shit to get to that and usually have to tolerate a gimmick or two along the way. First party Nintendo, coupled with NES/SNES nostalgia, are basically the last two pillars that are keeping Nintendo from collapsing on itself and turning into a third party company.

1. DOOM
2. Star Fox Zero
3. Tokyo Mirage Sessions
4. Pocket Card Jockey
5. Fire Emblem Fates

Uncharted 4 and Federation Farce are officially getting demoted to the bingo halls. Blood and Wine also disappointed after the GOAT-tier Hearts of Stone.

Sephzilla's GOTY award competition is basically
1) DOOM
2) Dark Souls 3
3) a bunch of fucking jobbers

The only reason DOOM hasn't wrapped it up yet is because Dark Souls 3 has some DLC coming and Dark Souls DLC is usually amazing

1. Stardew Valley
2. ?

Haven't gotten around to Stardew Valley and Overwatch yet, but want to. My newborn has colic so video games don't exist at the moment for me.

Played 20 minutes of Souls 3 so I can't rank it. Honestly I'm totally burnt on the series at this point.

Anth0ny

it's up to nintendo to change that perception of them. it's all in the marketing.

bjork

Haven't gotten around to Stardew Valley and Overwatch yet, but want to. My newborn has colic so video games don't exist at the moment for me.

Played 20 minutes of Souls 3 so I can't rank it. Honestly I'm totally burnt on the series at this point.

To be fair to videogames, I think that's the only 2016 release I've played. I got an Xbox One last year and I still only own Fallout 4, Watch Dogs, and the lego movie game that came with it. I mostly play Commodore 64 games.

Sephzilla

Nintendo's biggest problem is that they keep wanting to be that unique little snowflake that tries to be different and push ideas that directly go against the trends of the industry and the wants of the consumer. The Wii exploding into a popular fad after the GameCube got buried by the PS2 was the worst thing that happened to the company because now every higher up thinks the stupid gimmick shit is the way to go even though the industry is pretty clearly showing that consumers want a normal fucking home console.

I'm just rather glad my enjoyment of video games comes from the actual game playing side of things, the amount of theatrics around everything else like people have their lives invested within the companies performances is maddening. Like I can get taking an interest in the other side of things, to comment on smart and stupid decisions the companies can make and what not but sweet jesus people lose themselves in that stuff to toxic degrees.
I think there's folks on GAF who might actually die if the NX isn't announced this month and even if it is they'll crumble to pieces anyway at something like "the screen isn't ultra 4K!" my life is OVER!"

Which is to say, Nintendo, still make plenty of great games, still make plenty of batshit decisions.
Nothing is perfect.

Fave five kideos of the year so far?
1. Overwatch
2. Street Fighter V
3. Doom
...: can't narrow the rest down between Pokken, Ratchet and Clank, Fire Emblem Fates, Dark Souls 3 etc

Sephzilla

Starfox in 2016 is like the headbangers in 2016

The new Starfox is Nintendo in a nutshell. Fans want a new completely normal Starfox game because the last few games have deviated too much. So Nintendo makes a new Starfox game but jams an unnecessary gimmick down everyone's throat, showing they managed to still completely ignore what their customers want.

Miyamoto is great and all, but man, the dude has been losing his touch for a bit now.

In all fairness, SF0 would've underwhelmed even without the divisive control gimmicks as its stages and campaign in general seemed cobbled together.
shame because I did enjoy it for what little there was of it.

I'm still playing and enjoying SFZ. I keep getting better and finding new things happening. The mechanics bring new ideas and possibilities to the genre. The only thing I dread is that one stealth level. Incredibly slow and boring to have in an arcade game. Otherwise, it's been fun every time I play.

It's a game in the purest sense where it is about mastering the controls and continually improving. It's not like Witcher where the controls are garbage, but that's not what the game is about. Or Uncharted where it's pure presentation. So if you don't like the controls, you'll hate the game. And I understand that 100%.

Or you could just think it's a shitty Star Fox game and I'm cool with that too, bros. It's all kideo shit at the end of the day.

Anth0ny

Nintendo's biggest problem is that they keep wanting to be that unique little snowflake that tries to be different and push ideas that directly go against the trends of the industry and the wants of the consumer. The Wii exploding into a popular fad after the GameCube got buried by the PS2 was the worst thing that happened to the company because now every higher up thinks the stupid gimmick shit is the way to go even though the industry is pretty clearly showing that consumers want a normal fucking home console.

i feel like the world is ready for a normal ass nintendo console that plays nintendo games, has sick graphics, and plays sports games/gta/cod

but nintendo isn't

Fantomex

i feel like the world is ready for a normal ass nintendo console that plays nintendo games, has sick graphics, and plays sports games/gta/cod

but nintendo isn't

Nintendo is a lot like my older uncles, stubborn as hell. I don't think it's about saving money, being different or exploring other avenues, they're just mules.

I don't think SF0 was shitty rice, it was probably the second best one of them which ain't saying much admittedly but when it was on, it was ON.
Or should I say lit....dammit Jimmy King.

but nintendo isn't

I'd honestly like to believe in this but I feel like the world is full of people who'll say they want this but wont actually buy it if it happened because they'd stick with what they've already got.

imBask

Banned
BEST :
1-Overwatch
2-gap between Overwatch and the rest
3-Hitman
4-Ratchet & Clank
5-Stardew Valley
6-Dark Souls 3

WORST:
1-Street Fighter V
2-Star Ocean
3-NMS

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I've fully turned the corner on my man CJ Parker/Juice Robinson. I think he hit his ceiling long ago and isn't getting any better.

klonere

Banned
Video games that I have played this year that I can remember

Fallout 4 (it was not very good)
Deus Ex: Human Revolution (It was very good, again. I want to live in Hengsha)
Stellaris (Deeply disappointing, I may check back in soon with all the patches)
Europa Universalis IV (Great as always)
League of Legends (I'm sorry)
Total Extreme Wrestling 2016 (I'm really sorry)
Eve Online (There is no forgiveness)

Nintendo also needs to price drop games.
Well they are at least pumping out more of those Nintendo Select things these days.
You guys can all purchase the GOAT tier platformer Tropical Freeze for £15/$15.

It's like the Doom 2016 of platformers or something.

What's wrong with SFV? It is a real good fighting game.
Everything around the game I'd hazard a guess.
Just a little bit longer until I can have a VS CPU mode!

Kaladin

Is Doom really that good? I ask this as someone who is burned out on FPS in general and played so much of the Doom franchise in it's heyday I got bored of it.

Zach

INSIDE and The Witness are my only GOTY contenders thus far, I think. I'm hoping The Last Guardian is good and in the discussion, but we'll see. Maybe even XCOM 2 or Mafia III.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
INSIDE and The Witness are my only GOTY contenders thus far, I think. I'm hoping The Last Guardian is good and in the discussion, but we'll see. Maybe even XCOM 2 or Mafia III.
Witness is up there. XCOM 2 ain't making my list. TLG? I know better. That's gonna be disappointing.

Sephzilla

I'm with Vinny McGAF on TLG. That game is going to be a let down for a lot of people.

Is Doom really that good? I ask this as someone who is burned out on FPS in general and played so much of the Doom franchise in it's heyday I got bored of it.

As someone who's mostly burnt out on FPS's - Doom is refreshingly old school in the right ways, and most importantly it's fun. It knows to cut out a lot of the BS and get you right into the action.

imBask

Banned
What's wrong with SFV? It is a real good fighting game.

SFV is a perfectly fine game. The problem is Capcom released it about 6 months too early.

-it's ugly
-half the content wasn't released when I played it
-I don't like how any of the characters feels except for Dhalsim
-They keep shoving garbage DLC characters that I don't care for to please stupid fanboys, like Urien and Juri
-I think i'm just done with 2d fighting games

subjectivity, etc etc. Also finish your fucking game before you release it. I shouldn't be penalized for playing a FULL RELEASE on release week.

Zach

I played the first level of DOOM and it didn't do much for me. Still only dabbled in Uncharted 4. If I complete it this year, maybe it'll be in the GOTY running, but I doubt it.

Top Bottom