• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin 2016 |OT| - Can Punks Catch as Catch Can Too?

Is Doom really that good? I ask this as someone who is burned out on FPS in general and played so much of the Doom franchise in it's heyday I got bored of it.

I hadn't truly enjoyed an FPS single player campaign since the PS2 era.
I remember trying to play through CoD Black Ops because it was apparently "one of the better ones" and wept for the state of the genre's single player modes after I got a game over for choosing to walk 10 steps in a different direction to my beckoning AI companion. I witnessed the railroaded imitations of CoD campaigns like that hilariously awful Battlefield 3 monstrosity and wondered if shooting things outside of multiplayer in an FPS would ever regain its glory.

Doom regained that glory.

i feel like the world is ready for a normal ass nintendo console that plays nintendo games, has sick graphics, and plays sports games/gta/cod

but nintendo isn't

Eh, do we really need a third (fourth with PC) console that does this? I'd rather Nintendo keep doing what they're doing and try to secure some exclusives. Simply releasing a GTA or Madden or whatever is not going to help them, especially with how much licensing for sports and exclusives have changed.

imBask

Banned
I hadn't truly enjoyed an FPS single player campaign since the PS2 era.
I remember trying to play through CoD Black Ops because it was apparently "one of the better ones" and wept for the state of the genre's single player modes after I got a game over for choosing to walk 10 steps in a different direction to my beckoning AI companion. I witnessed the railroaded imitations of CoD campaigns like that hilariously awful Battlefield 3 monstrosity and wondered if shooting things outside of multiplayer in an FPS would ever regain its glory.

Doom regained that glory.

huh... I can relate to your post because I think i'm about in the same state as you were, every "great" FPS single player games i've played in the past 10 years have been garbage

I might actually pull the trigger on DOOM soon

Sephzilla

Eh, do we really need a third (fourth with PC) console that does this? I'd rather Nintendo keep doing what they're doing and try to secure some exclusives. Simply releasing a GTA or Madden or whatever is not going to help them, especially with how much licensing for sports and exclusives have changed.

It's going to help them more than what they're currently doing.

I'm also in the camp that thinks the world wants a normal ass Nintendo system. For as much as Nintendo fucking loves to drive home nostalgia for the NES and SNES they love to conveniently forget that the NES and SNES were systems that had absolutely no bullshit attached to them.

Favorites this year so far:

1. Uncharted 4
2. Overwatch
3. DOOM

Dark Souls 3 is awesome but I got to the end with like 3 different bosses to fight. I'll finish eventually but I just burned out hard on that game. Honestly I prefer Bloodborne where (for the most part) you have to handle one boss at a time. I know there's nothing really else in the game to see besides the "ending" so I don't really have the same motivation to keep playing and finishing the checklist (then again I burned out hard on the Bloodborne DLC too)

I don't care about Uncharted, but 4 is essentially taking Last Of Us and making a fast-paced lighter game in that mold (and it's better for it)

DOOM is awesome but there's not much to it, it's combat arenas

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Believe!

(Reservedly. >_>)

Tell me more about XCOM 2. Did you like the first game? How do the games compare?
I like XCOM 2 a lot. I liked the previous one and a half (Enemy Within and Unknown) a lot. Before that the only XCOM I enjoyed was the first-ass first one on PC. It just didn't do enough. I still felt fresh from Enemy Within that my body didn't want a new XCOM that badly. No fault of its own. That, and there's been some hellacious great games this year.

Ultimately XCOM 2 is more of the same, much more. But if you want something more advanced in different directions, XCOM 2 is not that game. Still love it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Before you mark ass marks get upset, it is a kayfabe magazine so take it with that in mind before you go on yet another anti-Roman rant

It's going to help them more than what they're currently doing.

I'm also in the camp that thinks the world wants a normal ass Nintendo system. For as much as Nintendo fucking loves to drive home nostalgia for the NES and SNES they love to conveniently forget that the NES and SNES were systems that had absolutely no bullshit attached to them.

How much is it really going to help nintendo to have GTA or Madden or COD on it? Look at how much exclusives helped PS4 this generation and how much online play helped Xbox last generation. While the gimmicks can be stupid, they're the only thing that could work in the favor of Nintendo getting people back over to the console and enticing developers.

I know everyone thinks this portable NX thing is going to be really stupid, but it's a lot more sane than WiiU. I think it can go a hell of a lot further in getting them back into peoples minds than just releasing Generic Nintendo Console.

CrR6g2lXYAArdsq.jpg

Sephzilla

How much is it really going to help nintendo to have GTA or Madden or COD on it? Look at how much exclusives helped PS4 this generation and how much online play helped Xbox last generation. While the gimmicks can be stupid, they're the only thing that could work in the favor of Nintendo getting people back over to the console and enticing developers.

I know everyone thinks this portable NX thing is going to be really stupid, but it's a lot more sane than WiiU. I think it can go a hell of a lot further in getting them back into peoples minds than just releasing Generic Nintendo Console.

It's going to help it a lot more than not having GTA.

Exclusives weren't the sole reason the PS4 succeeded. It was a combination of a few solid looking exclusives + better marketing + being advertised as a no bullshit gaming machine + Microsoft completely shooting themselves in the foot with the XB1. You know what helped the XBox 360 succeed? Pretty much the exact same stuff that helped the PS4. You know what didn't really help the PS3, PS4, XB1, or 360? Gimmicks like PSMove and Kinect.

It's almost like there's a long term trend of gamers wanting no bullshit machines.

Is Doom really that good? I ask this as someone who is burned out on FPS in general and played so much of the Doom franchise in it's heyday I got bored of it.

Super burned out on FPS, but DOOM can be a lot of fun. Some parts of it begin to feel boring and a grind, but overall the music & levels are great.

imBask

Banned
It's going to help it a lot more than not having GTA.

Exclusives weren't the sole reason the PS4 succeeded. It was a combination of a few solid looking exclusives + better marketing + being advertised as a no bullshit gaming machine + Microsoft completely shooting themselves in the foot with the XB1. You know what helped the XBox 360 succeed? Pretty much the exact same stuff that helped the PS4. You know what didn't really help the PS3, PS4, XB1, or 360? Gimmicks like PSMove and Kinect.

It's almost like there's a long term trend of gamers wanting no bullshit machines.

BUT THAT ONE TIME THE WII SOLD A LOT OF UNITS AND LIKE PEOPLE REALLY LIKED IT SO I THINK WE SHOULD JUST AIM FOR THAT AND MAKE SOME BULLSHIT MACHINE INSTEAD

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Consoles are for the aging. The kind of people who will say "I put Super Mario Bros on in front of my kid and he just wanted to play on his phone :( what do I do?!"

The nostalgia and these antiquated models will dry up as people who have been born while smartphones already existed move into the "fuckers who spend money" demographic. It's on the way out. Kind of a shame because it fits my lifestyle, but the world doesn't revolve around me.

Sephzilla

Saying consoles are antiquated models whilst were in the middle of one of the best selling generations is the most NeoGAF Vince McMahon thing you could say :)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Saying consoles are antiquated models whilst were in the middle of one of the best selling generations ever is funny.
Keep ignoring mobile, it'll bite you in the ass

Can't see the big picture. It's high risk low reward. You'll realize it once you're forced to interact with an ugly child.

Sephzilla

Can't see the big picture. It's high risk low reward. You'll realize it once you're forced to interact with an ugly child.

Who said I'm ignoring mobile? Mobile is doing well and so are home consoles. Why not both?

The only gaming division that's really struggling is dedicated handheld consoles.

imBask

Banned

Mobile gaming doesn't prevent regular gaming from happening, I don't know why you're mixing both. Mobile gaming doesn't just work with kids, every demographic is full of people playing mobile

2 different things

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Who said I'm ignoring mobile? Mobile is doing well and so are home consoles. Why not both?

The only gaming division that's really struggling is dedicated handheld consoles.
not even comparable

Handhelds died first. You know what's next. Functionality of smartphones are gonna jump again, and consoles are next

Top Bottom