• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin 2016 |OT| - Can Punks Catch as Catch Can Too?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
So CM Punk made $500,000 for his UFC fight with no bonus for winning if he won.

Gall made $15,000 and another $15,000 since he won making his purse $30,000.

That's kind of fucked up.

Gall wouldn't be in the UFC if it weren't for CM Punk. I'm sure that $30,000 is nice compared to the $250 you make on the regional can circuit.

bjork

What was punk making at gall's age to get thrown through tables and whatnot, though?

Aiii

So not worth it

You know who wouldn't have made a single cent if CM Punk wasn't on UFC 203?

Mickey Fucking Gall.

He'd still be doing whatever shitty job he was doing before he got signed by UFC.

klonere

Banned
Disco Inferno is a roided out has-been who supported Cunt Hogan during the whole racism scandal, and now wrestles in shady warehouses. Who gives a fuck what he thinks.

ahahahahahahHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAAAHAHAHA

I didn't know he was so unabashedly juicing. What a cunt.

HHH essentially completely rebuilt his workout regimen by getting rid of compound movments that were heavy on joints and moved to a more physical therapy based approach for building and maintaining muscle.

https://www.defrancostraining.com/tripleh/

Plus at Vince's age he probably shouldn't be trying to look like Thor.

I know everyone has said it but a tell all autobiography of Vince's life would probably one of the most incredible, fucked up and fascinating biographies of all time.

Hm... A high paid performer based on star power that only performs from time to time. This feels familiar.

Syder

No one buys a PPV for Mickey Gall. When all was said and done Gall got way more than $30k's worth in worldwide exposure for participating in the Punk fight.

Kaladin

Mickey Gall / Heath Slater shirt:

W12317.jpg

bjork

I wonder if there's someone that collects every WWE shirt and variation. It wouldn't be the most expensive hobby, but I bet it could get pricey. But there has to be someone doing it, right?

Heroman

Banned
I wonder if there's someone that collects every WWE shirt and variation. It wouldn't be the most expensive hobby, but I bet it could get pricey. But there has to be someone doing it, right?
I'm pretty it someone in this thread, hell it probably BronsonLee

Kaladin

Probably, back before the Network there were people who bought every wrestling PPV that aired from any company. I know from working a DirecTV call center back in the day.

Fox318

You get paid on how you draw not how good you are.

Yeah it sucks that the sport has to be a circus act sometimes when guys like Mighty Mouse and T.J. Dillashaw are underappreciated but as long as the product is on PPV it will be about the entertainment that brings eyes in. Its why NFL games with shit teams may draw more if they have a dog murderer on it when he comes back to Atlanta.

The trick with booking a sport is to balance the two and the UFC actually does a very good job at that.

anyway if you want to see what the Phil Brooks story is going to look like at the end of his career:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToQVoyWWluQ

Fox318

Mickey Gall / Heath Slater shirt:

W12317.jpg

For as dumb as this is I'm glad Slater finally has a shirt.

Its a crime that not every performer has a shirt or two. Frankly its a shame they can't just have a screen printing stand for some of the lesser known performers.

Kaladin

You get paid on how you draw not how good you are.

Yeah it sucks that the sport has to be a circus act sometimes when guys like Mighty Mouse and T.J. Dillashaw are underappreciated but as long as the product is on PPV it will be about the entertainment that brings eyes in. Its why NFL games with shit teams may draw more if they have a dog murderer on it when he comes back to Atlanta.

The trick with booking a sport is to balance the two and the UFC actually does a very good job at that.

anyway if you want to see what the Phil Brooks story is going to look like at the end of his career:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToQVoyWWluQ

I get the people that have been there and are known to be a draw making more, but a celebrity coming in to try and fight making top of the card money because of his fame? I'd give him maybe half that and make the rest in bonuses.

Fox318

Will we see Phil Brooks in a Bellator ring? Or over in RIZIN?

Or is the end for his illustrious MMA career.

Unless RIZIN is trying to make more inroads to america I don't see them signing him and even then I don't think Punk is the type of person to so blatantly fight a can or have a fight be a work.

Frankly if Punk does work a fight I don't want to ever hear him talk with any sense of morality or righteous. I kinda feel he lost that right anyway after that performance.

Punk makes perfect sense for Bellator and they have enough lower level fighters and sign guys from smaller promotions enough that he would be a perfect fit for them.

Plus Punk would also get some sponsorship money out of it but that really depends on if he is really serious on becoming a mixed martial artist and he was so bad with the little things that I really don't think he treated training as seriously as he said he did.

Had you told me the night of Charlotte's awful post-Mania promo that she would be a better promo (and arguably has a better character) then Sasha and Bayley in just five months I'd laugh. Yet here we are.

Kaladin

Friends, I will soon be a homeowner. I close at the end of October.

Moving up to the big times and leaving the indy apartment world behind.

Congrats and welcome, I became a home owner earlier this year. It's a whole slew of challenges and you begin to question if you're ready for this whole adulting thing...even at 35.

Zach

I've owned my house since I was, like, 25, you babies!

But seriously, congratulations on the home ownership. It's #1derful and terrible.

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2016/09/12/ryback-wwe-ryan-reeves-wrestling-vince-mcmahon

“So I decided I would mock Punk to get some heat from the Chicago crowd, and it worked brilliantly. I knew, at the end, Kalisto was going over – and the bigger heel I could be in the match, then the bigger the babyface will be at the end of the match once he goes over on me. After the match, they were furious with me that I was doing anything to get heat. It was so unprofessional on so many levels. I asked, ‘What do you want me to do? I’m a heel, let me go out and make the babyface in the best way I can.’ It’s ironic that Chicago was the last place I wrestled before I left the next night. Punk and I are two entirely different human beings, but I think we shared some of the same viewpoints toward the WWE as far as business.”
“In one of our last talks, Vince told me, ‘You’re the hardest working guy that I have here,’” said Ryback. “I just said, ‘Thank you.’ Vince said, ‘But hard work doesn’t always pay off here.’ I looked at him and said, ‘Well then, I need to go to a world where my hard work will pay off.'
“Ultimately, though, they were just trying to run me into the ground and ruin my brand forever, and that happened time and time again. As you saw with that finish, it made zero sense from a booking standpoint to book me to fall flat on my face, and then the next night to turn me heel. The reaction to my heel turn was louder than ever, and then what did Vince do? He came to me personally and said, ‘We’re taking away all your merchandise. I want your merchandise to tank and no more ‘Feed Me More,’’ which was the thing that put me on the map. So instead of giving me an edge as a heel, you’re stripping me of everything, having Cena go over me, and then you saw how my career fell after that. I lost the momentum, and I never got it back again.”
“They gave me the title just so I would re-sign a contract,” said Ryback. “That is not uncommon and they do things like that all the time. Outside of live events where I was able to get a microphone and say whatever I wanted, which always worked well, I didn’t enjoy my title run because I hated reading the WWE promos.

“The promos were atrocious during my whole last run. I delivered them exactly as I was supposed to deliver them, but the writing was so out of touch. I remember Jericho went up to me and asked, ‘Who’s writing this?’ And I said, ‘Vince. I’ve tried to get it changed but he wants me reading it word for word.’ Vince wanted me to read his promos word for word, and I never enjoyed that and I never will.”
“I have all these dreams and ambitions, and I asked [WWE Senior Director of Talent Relations] Mark Carrano, ‘Could we let my contract run out so I can start working on some of these other things?’ Then we could have kept the door open for me to come back, but this is how unprofessional they are, he threatened me and said they were going to bury me and then take me off TV and see my value drop. That was his professional reply to me after asking a serious question about my life and taking some time off so I could get this stuff started. I was met with that reply, which does not help my case with how I feel about them.”

Not surprised by a word

Fox318

I'll say this about Ryback.

More guys in the back could do themselves better by not wanting to job every night.

And he isvery much right with the WWE stifling people from growing their brand and the WWe's brand.

The company as it is right now wants to claim credit for every success but we know today that unless you are Gedo its more about the performers doing the right things than any storyline that really gets somebody over.

Top Bottom