• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin 2016 |OT| - Can Punks Catch as Catch Can Too?

Syder

I would mark out for Maryse's theme.
I never want this title reign to end.

tumblr_odfiid8JV81tzogbdo1_1280.jpg

jmdajr

Somehow we forgot this.

“Those Punk comments did a lot of damage to me,” said Ryback, referring to Punk’s negative statements about him in November of 2014 on the Colt Cabana podcast. “CM Punk has a tremendous following. When you have as many followers as he has, and you say something about somebody, they’re going to believe everything you say. To this day, I don’t know why Punk tied me in with his whole thing against the WWE. I feel like part of it was he was his unhappiest with the company when he was working with me, and I kind of got tied into all of it.”

Fox318

Wtahc Punk and Ryback become best friends.

So long Colt!

Meanwhile I'm pretty sure that Ryback drives around in a car with CM Punk vanity plates

Anth0ny

“In one of our last talks, Vince told me, ‘You’re the hardest working guy that I have here,’” said Ryback. “I just said, ‘Thank you.’ Vince said, ‘But hard work doesn’t always pay off here.’ I looked at him and said, ‘Well then, I need to go to a world where my hard work will pay off.'

#LapsedVinceQuotes

Kaladin

I'm still of the opinion that Ryback didn't really fit with the current in ring style. He couldn't hang with the likes of Seth Rollins, Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, AJ Styles, Finn Balor or even Rusev. He was too stiff, couldn't work a high impact match with someone who wasn't another heavyweight and just didn't have the technical ability to compete with the current top tier of talent.

klonere

Banned
I'm still of the opinion that Ryback didn't really fit with the current in ring style. He couldn't hang with the likes of Seth Rollins, Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, AJ Styles, Finn Balor or even Rusev. He was too stiff, couldn't work a high impact match with someone who wasn't another heavyweight and just didn't have the technical ability to compete with the current top tier of talent.

His series with Kalisto was actually pretty great but completely buried in pre-shows and de-emphasized fully, for reasons that are pretty obvious. Never forget that he saved Kalisto's life!

His match with Owens was pretty bad but I get the feeling either Owens was sandbagging or they had horrible chemistry. Probably a mix of the two. Owens managed to have a bad match with 2015 Cesaro though, so there is that.

His previous two feuds were with Miz and the fucking Big Show so ehhhhhh.

I'll definitely be interested to see how he does on the indies because I know he's gonna put 110% into all his stuff there.

His series with Kalisto was actually pretty great but completely buried in pre-shows and de-emphasized fully, for reasons that are pretty obvious. Never forget that he saved Kalisto's life!

His match with Owens was pretty bad but I get the feeling either Owens was sandbagging or they had horrible chemistry. Probably a mix of the two. Owens managed to have a bad match with 2015 Cesaro though, so there is that.

I'll definitely be interested to see how he does on the indies because I know he's gonna put 110% into all his stuff there.
Wasn't there a moment during a tag-match involving him and Owens in which it really looked like the two were stiffing the hell out of each other? Like they were full on pissed off at each other.

jmdajr

Man. I'll tell you what.

I knew Ryback was doing well when I saw a Feed Me More shirt out in the wild. And I hardly ever see wrestling shirts.

klonere

Banned
Wasn't there a moment during a tag-match involving him and Owens in which it really looked like the two were stiffing the hell out of each other? Like they were full on pissed off at each other.

Yes! Thank you for reminding me of this, that's why I felt the singles match was so underwhelming because that tag interaction was so great. I thought we'd get a stiff mean guy match but instead we got Owens sticking Ryback in some headlocks, a tepid comeback and then an eye-rake into a finisher.

Kaladin

Yeah, I'm open to seeing him in the indies and maybe he can surprise me. You were right, the series with Kalisto was a bit of a turn around, but that was kind of too little too late. He had a long history of just being meh and boring before that. The Owens match just seemed like they didn't have good chemistry or something didn't click.

I still just couldn't see him working with the guys coming out of the indies in the past 5 years or even now. He doesn't have the ability to keep up that pace.

Mahonay

Banned
Holy fuck was that crowd ever into the RAW main event last night. Baltimore always seems hype for some great booking in a match.

Owens really killed it, and Roman is getting pretty excellent at delivering good matches most times he goes out to wrestle.

Fucking loved the Rusev chants as Rusev is crushing Reigns with an Accolade at the very end. It felt like my wrestling fantasies were all coming together in a single RAW segment.

Mahonay

Banned
Yes! Thank you for reminding me of this, that's why I felt the singles match was so underwhelming because that tag interaction was so great. I thought we'd get a stiff mean guy match but instead we got Owens sticking Ryback in some headlocks, a tepid comeback and then an eye-rake into a finisher.
I think it's also the match where he nearly calls Owens a motherfucker.

Brinbe

That Owens/Cole pic is amazing. And Ryback is absolutely right. He was absolutely red-hot as a face and they never capitalized on it at all. Same thing a few years back with Miz/Truth and again, they didn't capitalize on it. And when they tried to push a guy like Cesaro, they saddled him a crummy gimmick and shitty fucking music. They're a dumb fucking company, which isn't a new or bold opinion. But it's just astonishing how a publicly-traded company could be so incompetent at making money and creating new stars. Hopefully that's changing now, but I doubt it.

jmdajr

That Owens/Cole pic is amazing. And Ryback is absolutely right. He was absolutely red-hot as a face and they never capitalized on it at all. Same thing a few years back with Miz/Truth and again, they didn't capitalize on it. And when they tried to push a guy like Cesaro, they saddled him a crummy gimmick and shitty fucking music. They're a dumb fucking company, which isn't a new or bold opinion. But it's just astonishing how a publicly-traded company could be so incompetent at making money and creating new stars.

It's so fucking strange because Ryback was the jacked freak Vince loved. He wasn't just some flippy indy dude.

Mahonay

Banned
That Owens/Cole pic is amazing. And Ryback is absolutely right. He was absolutely red-hot as a face and they never capitalized on it at all. Same thing a few years back with Miz/Truth and again, they didn't capitalize on it. And when they tried to push a guy like Cesaro, they saddled him a crummy gimmick and shitty fucking music. They're a dumb fucking company, which isn't a new or bold opinion. But it's just astonishing how a publicly-traded company could be so incompetent at making money and creating new stars. Hopefully that's changing now, but I doubt it.
This is the same company that will purposely "de-push" and kill some of the heat for wrestlers because they deem it not time for them to be over. So yeah.

klonere

Banned
For me Wrestler of the Year is only between Styles and Broken Matt Hardy. For two completely different reasons.

I can't wait to see how they rescue poor Senor Benjamin.

My list right now is

1. Styles (getting a 4* match out of Ambrose is an unbelievable achievement)
2. Omega
3. Miyahara
4. Ospreay
5. Hero

It's so fucking strange because Ryback was the jacked freak Vince loved. He wasn't just some flippy indy dude.

He probably wasn't somebodies pet project. And he got caught in the middle of Rock/Cena II.

Top Bottom