• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin 2016 |OT| - Can Punks Catch as Catch Can Too?

I just wouldn't handle it!

I think all the themes from the CWC have been from a stock music library atleast according to the CWCeen podcast from the LAW. If I can get my hands on that -- hoooo boy would that be a gold mine.

I think most have been stock, except for the guys who were signed going in. Gargano's isn't for instance. Swann already had a stock theme before the CWC, so it makes no sense to give him a new one unless it was permanent.

I think most have been stock, except for the guys who were signed going in. Gargano's isn't for instance. Swann already had a stock theme before the CWC, so it makes no sense to give him a new one unless it was permanent.

Tozawa's theme is an underrated killer. God damn they better not fuck up the cruiserweights. So excited.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bret leaving literally was best for business as the lawyers for Vince's IPO bid told him to get rid of any big long term commitments he could to make the company look better. So Bret eventually gets pushed out in a masterful way and he gets lucky that the second biggest contract gets injured a few months later and is out for four years with little to no pay.

Hell Foley and Austin are on pre Nash leaving deals when McMahon was forced to give out the guarantees. Rock is basically a rookie. The most expensive people early on in the post Bret era are Taker, who always commanded a high but not unreasonable contract, Shamrock, who must have been paid pretty well, and Mark Henry.

So how do they book these cruiserweights on TV? Will they have their own division there as well or will they get shoehorned in with other storylines? I just don't understand how they book these smaller guys against the likes of much,er, not smaller guys.

Pretty sure they'll be their own thing like the women.

NXT spoilers:

Sanity debuted:

Here is the group:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CscCU8wXEAA65Lz.jpg

Its made up of
Alexander Wolfe, Sawyer Fulton, Eric Young, and Nikki Storm

Plus after the four tapings here is the hints of possible matches for the Toronto card:

Joe vs Nakamura
Dusty Classic final
Itami vs Aries
Tye vs Roode
Almas vs Alexander

Holy shit
Sombra vs Cedrid?
TAKE MY FUCKING MONEY.

I still wonder if anything will happen with Omega if the Dome show drastically undersells

because I can't see Omega in the main event drawing over what Naito would have done right now. It still makes me wonder if they're going to last minute swerve the main event back to Naito and has LIJ injure Omega or something

What's happening with Kenny? I really like the dude but I've been reading for a while that he's not cutting it as the 'face' of NJPW.

Yo Blue what was the backstory about that?
Dave Meltzer called him a B+ player.

There is a behind-the-scenes mind set in the WWF right now regarding HHH, that he may have gotten as far as he can as far as moving up the ladder and doesn't have the working ability and attitude to past those higher on the ladder. There is a feeling the guys on top, such as Austin and Undertaker, would have been back for Survivor Series, for instance, with the same knee injury, and even that X-Pac, who is limited somewhat by size but is the best worker in the ring in the company, may have already surpassed HHH as the singles star of the DX group even though HHH is both bigger in a promotion where that usually matters a lot, and the stronger interview. However, it's doubtful HHH would leave WWF, based not only on comments he's made, but because friends of his in WCW who are making huge money, far more than he'll likely be offered if WCW sends him an offer, are always claiming to be miserable and wanting to get out when their contracts are up.

That's one of the pieces I read that tied into it but Hunter was considering going to be with Nash & Hall in 98 but they talked him out of it as they knew it was a sinking ship

Just got tickets for a show at my city that has as the main event a triple threat match between Pentagon Jr, Pagano and Psycho Clown, hope it's good.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I just got done watching Foley, JBL, Flair and Cole reminiscing about their favorite WrestleMania moments in a special two days before WM30 took place. Man, the tension between Flair and Foley. Woof. Also, Flair breaks down crying when they show a video package of the days and night of his match with Michaels. Dude most definitely got to go out on his own terms.

aaand then went to tna

NXT spoilers:

Sanity debuted:

Here is the group:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CscCU8wXEAA65Lz.jpg

Its made up of
Alexander Wolfe, Sawyer Fulton, Eric Young, and Nikki Storm

Plus after the four tapings here is the hints of possible matches for the Toronto card:

Joe vs Nakamura
Dusty Classic final
Itami vs Aries
Tye vs Roode
Almas vs Alexander
That's an interesting direction
to take Nikki
... Look forward to seeing how that goes.
All the NXT spoilers are leading me to believe they are building to
Ember Moon vs. Asuka
in Toronto.

I'd hope they hold off on
that until WrestleMania weekend, give Asuka a reign that reaches one night away from being a year long reign only for Ember to take it on the day (given this is a leap year that would put that on March 31st, lining up with the likely Takeover show) that would give her, her 365th day as champion.

I think Ember needs more time to build her up, she's not beating opponents in a dominating fashion yet like Asuka did but I saw they had her apparently squash Mandy but that's not anything of note. I'm hoping first they at least get her in a program with Peyton Royce and Billie Kay for a bit and loosely follow the route they went with Asuka and Emma/Dana last year, give Ember Royce at Takeover: Toronto and continue the story between the three from there.

Also hoping Nikki Cross is on a separate trajectory so Ember has someone ready to work with after the Ember/Asuka concludes as others are also hopefully built up in the mean time

Jamie OD

The NXT women's division now is just all squash matches. Nothing competitive is happening there. Part of it is because Asuka is so far ahead of everyone else but even then their attempts to build and establish Ember, Liv, Peyton and others have been weak so far. The only way I can see Asuka losing the title now is in a multi-woman match where she either doesn't get pinned or everyone else piles on top of her.

Who knows if Owen would have healed things up with Austin if Bret was around but Owen vs Austin would have been a hot feud.

As far as I'm concerend these are the biggest ifs

If Harley Race no showed the first Starrcade to work for Vince
If Wrestlemania 1 didn't get any media buzz from MTV.
If Cable Companies told Vince to fuck off with the Survivor Series shit during Starrcade
If Vince favored Bret over HBK
If Steph didn't court HHH
If Owen didn't injure Austin
If Taker lost to Snuka or HHH at Wrestlemania 17 both of which could have totally been justified
If they actually brought in Sting, Goldber, and Flair the right way with the invasion.

These two blow my mind the fact austin still became arguably the biggest superstar ever in that short period of time is amazing imagine if he could have went full speed till 08 09.

The biggest plunder about that wcw deal its like so you have enough money to buy wcw but not enough money to buy back the actual fucking talent? Keep in mind this was the hight of wwf popularity so you know they were making bank.

I think bret not leaving has a bigger fallout then say the cliq video like you said i honestly believe wed still have owen bret would wouldnt have been injured and lets be honest he would have had bigger and better matches with vince n co.

klonere

Banned
omfg

CsdauJUWIAAGr6w.jpg:large

Toki767

I still think it's pretty crazy that Austin didn't have surgery for his neck until like 2 years after he was dropped on his head.

Striker

Even with the bad neck, he was having knee problems as well. Definitely wouldn't have seen him lasting five or six more years like that. Same for The Rock. Neither had anything to prove, and the talent was dwindling. That's why Jericho leaving and coming back was something beneficial to his career.

If Bret stayed, he probably retires in 2001 or something himself. Same for Owen. And that's fine--guys need to go away sometimes and freshen up the scene. It gets tiresome with the same old act years and years in the same spots doing the same routine, aka Cena and Orton.

Hasney

The biggest plunder about that wcw deal its like so you have enough money to buy wcw but not enough money to buy back the actual fucking talent? Keep in mind this was the hight of wwf popularity so you know they were making bank.

Weren't their contracts worth more than what they actually bought WCW for? Like, millions more? Probably wouldn't have had to have paid them a bigger lump sum than their contract too for some of them, as I'm sure they would have been glad to be paid while recovering.

Top Bottom