• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin 2016 |OT| - Can Punks Catch as Catch Can Too?

screenshot_2016-09-18tlo48.png

Been rewatching Goldberg's 2003 run in WWE.

Such a shame how badly he was booked due to Triple H's ego and Vince's desire to make WCW look bad.

Let's summarise

Goldberg arrives and feuds with Rock and wins, this seems like a great start, Goldberg has is in WWE and his first feud is with one of WWE's biggest stars, Rock being a class act he puts Goldberg over. This is a good start to his run and immediately establishes him as a serious player.

Goldberg feuds with Jericho, Jericho puts him over, all looking good so far then, Goldberg is feuding with major stars and is being handled well.

Somewhere along the line Goldberg out of nowhere ends up in a cage match Christian, what the fuck? You go from feuding with two main eventers to having a cage match with Christian, now I know Christian goes on to some great stuff in the years to follow as a main event player, but at this point he's a midcarder perennially in the shadow of his former partner Edge. Not exactly the sort of guy you guy should be booking to feud with a major star who's going to be in main events. This was only a short feud, but still the mind boggles at this lunacy.

Finally Goldberg enters the title hunt as we expected feuding with Triple H. He gets entered into the second ever Elimination Chamber match at Summerslam 2003 and asides from Kevin Nash who got eliminated before Goldberg even got out from his chamber he destroys everyone eliminates all of them. Finally after Triple H has finished cowering in his chamber, Goldberg smashes the glass and hauls him into the ring. The expected one on one confrontation between the two doesn't last very long and is pretty one sided Triple H counters a spear with a sledgehammer blow ensuring he is the first person in WWE to get a pin over Goldberg. Then Evolution deliver a beatdown to Goldberg handcuffing to the elimination chamber itself.

Ultimately Goldberg wins the belt from Triple H at Unforgiven and retains at Survivor Series, the whole feud is marred by shenanigans and is basically Goldberg vs Evolution as a whole rather than Goldberg vs Triple H. Finally at Armageddon, Triple with Evolution and and an assist from Kane of all (yeah the same who feuded with Triple H in the worst angle ever in WWE history involving necrophilia is now his ally.)

From this Goldberg goes on to feud with Lesnar and the feud produces some genuinely damn good moments, such as Lesnar sneak attacking Goldberg in the Royal Rumble and Goldberg costing Lesnar the title at No Way out vs Eddie Guerrero to get payback.

However the feud ended with what is probably the worst Wrestlemania match ever aat Wrestlemania XX, where is pretty obvious neither guy really gave a damn since they were both leaving the company.

/rant over

Someone pass me the brain bleach so I can erase this from my memory forever.
I always thought it was dumb that Goldberg didn't win the title at Summerslam, it just made too much sense for them to go with it I guess.

The best part about Goldburger losing at Summerslam 03 was that Trips was basically injured enough to not perform in the chamber (hence why they have him cower and his lovely medium length trunks) yet he STILL WENT OVER!

The best part about Goldburger losing at Summerslam 03 was that Trips was basically injured enough to not perform in the chamber (hence why they have him cower and his lovely medium length trunks) yet he STILL WENT OVER!

Yeah anybody else would think, this is a good time to put Goldberg over, we can have him destroy Triple H in a way that Triple H won't risk further injury.

Then you have a ready made angle where Triple H is kayfabe injured to allow him time to heal and then when he returns you've got a ready made revenge angle to the feud to plug in at a time of your choosing.

But no, let's have him lose and in the process we will take a shit on WCW one more time.

I've also heard lol, the reason they didn't go with Booker winning is because Hunter was going to drop the title to Goldberg so they didn't want
him to lose to two wcw people in a row.

That's really stupid reasoning considering his direct feud after Mania 19 wasn't with Goldberg! They could've easily had Booker win then he drops the title to Hunter at Judgement day. We really didn't need that bullshit between him and Nash(which is what the Raw mania event for 19 was really supposed to be. No I'm not kidding).

shaowebb

I have no idea but I laughed at how keywords were chosen to create that ad.

If its a shmup with 200 ships thats some R Type final levels of big. I'd like to play it to know if its a good shmup sometime. I'm a huge bullethell addict. Watch it be hot garbage like 1943 Megami Strike though.

EDIT: What the...I think its something called Girls X Battle. Its not a shmup at all though. Some Maple Story looking beat em up or something. Why are their ships in that shot though? Got my hopes up for a 200+ ship shooty and got collect a thon beat em up with bad combat. Guess its back to Dariusburst and Genso Rondo for me.

Nah Goldberg didn't want to job to someone more talented than him.

Fucking lol.

True that, Goldberg is not a good worker, but he is very intense in the ring and he gets people hype as fuck with just his presence. With solid booking it is possible to work within his limitations and still produce some damn good moments.

Contrary to what I've seen saying, one of my favourite Tough Enough segments is from Season 1, where Triple H rips Goldberg apart for not being able to hack WCW's road schedule and working squash matches to cover up his limited in ring skill.

Fucking lol.

True that, Goldberg is not a good worker, but he is very intense in the ring and he gets people hype as fuck with just his presence. With solid booking it is possible to work within his limitations and still produce some damn good moments.

Contrary to what I've seen saying, one of my favourite Tough Enough segments is from Season 1, where Triple H rips Goldberg apart for not being able to hack WCW's road schedule and working squash matches to cover up his limited in ring skill.
I think I know which TE Episode your talking about. Basically it's the one where hunter tries to bury everyone there telling them to leave

Just hit me with your 2000 WWF grades already. Straight As?
You got it, pal.

Royal Rumble: B-
No Way Out: B
Wrestlemania 2000: D+
Backlash: A-
Judgment Day: B+
King of the Ring: Haven't seen it in forever, but KOTRs are usually not very good and the main event sounds like a clusterfuck, so I'll say D.
Fully Loaded: B+
Summerslam: B

I'm not a complete fanboy for 2000. But you lose me on your grades for No Way Out, Backlash, Fully Loaded, and Summerslam.

E Chamber before Mania 30 was fucking lit dudes. I was watching with family and we were all so salty. And thr hush that comes over the crowd, the faces full of dissapointment. Damn.

I think I know which TE Episode your talking about. Basically it's the one where hunter tries to bury everyone there telling them to leave

He wasn't trying to bury them, he was simply letting them knowing wrestling is a damn hard life to live and making it clear that they better be serious about it because otherwise it will chew them up and spit them out.

He also impressed upon that they should do it, not to get rich or famous, but for their own love of wrestling itself.

So whatever happened to Shelton Benjamin returning to Smack Down ?
Shelton Benjamin’s return to WWE — which was announced via a vignette on the July 26 episode of SmackDown — was delayed when it was determined that he was suffering from a torn rotator cuff, but now, there’s an estimated timetable for his arrival on the blue brand.

According to this week’s issue of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Benjamin underwent surgery on September 7 and is expected to take six months to recover.

There was talk at this week’s television events that there is still interest on WWE’s part in Benjamin when he recovers from his torn rotator cuff. Vince McMahon and Triple H are both fans of his work and feel the roster needs more depth.
He wasn't trying to bury them, he was simply letting them knowing wrestling is a damn hard life to live and making it clear that they better be serious about it because otherwise it will chew them up and spit them out.

He also impressed upon that they should do it, not to get rich or famous, but for their own love of wrestling itself.
Hunter went on there trying to make himself look good. He didn't give a damn about those kids. Anything to put himself over.

And I'll attack you til my dying breath, motherfucker!!!

your dying breath will be right after a sweet Pedigree from HHH in the middle of those 4 ropes, at WM2000
F-, just like you.
Groundbreaking ladder match, pretty good 2 fall triple threat match, and Pete Rose getting a stinkface. An F is reserved for shows with no redeeming qualities. I rest my case!

And ya'll are burying the lede, which is the unfairly harsh Zack with an h grades for WWF 2000 PPVs. Unfair in that things will get ugly when he gets to Survivor Series.

Zach

The groundbreaking ladder match occurred at No Mercy '99, Biggest-Geek-Ever. That Mania match was a retread. A retread!

The groundbreaking ladder match occurred at No Mercy '99, Biggest-Geek-Ever. That Mania match was a retread. A retread!
No Dudleys at No Mercy means no retread, brother.

I'm looking at your grades for PPVs and you've yet to give anything above a B+? I will boldly predict that your first A- will be No Way Out 2001.

Recall

I'm doubtful of an A. I haven't ruled it out; that'd be silly.

Considering Wrestlemania 17 is an easy A show and you've said you don't agree, I don't think anything else reaching those possible highs.

Look forward to proving me wrong :p

Top Bottom