• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin 2016 |OT| - Can Punks Catch as Catch Can Too?

Pikma

Banned
You guys noticed how I embraced my punishment av? That's because I'm #TeamBigDog now, I cannot wait to see him overcome all odds and beat both Owens and AJ in a winner takes all to become the #FirstEver Undisputed Champion

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The first 2 WMs are legit awful. From the matches to the amateur editing to the off cue interviewers and wrestlers.

Unsurprisingly, the first Starcades are great

Aiii

So not worth it
Hiatus still going strong.

Friendship ended with wrestling, now Japanese dramas and anime are my best friend.

The production values of WM 1 in particular make me laugh. The lighting makes that shit look like it's in a bingo hall.

This would probably qualify as a shoot: WM 7 is easily the best of the first nine manias.

Fox318

The production values of WM 1 in particular make me laugh. The lighting makes that shit look like it's in a bingo hall.

This would probably qualify as a shoot: WM 7 is easily the best of the first nine manias.

Ebersol did more to modernize wrestling than McMahon did.

Also Starrcade 83 blows away anything the WWE ever did until Mania 3.

Hiatus still going strong.

Friendship ended with wrestling, now Japanese dramas and anime are my best friend.

Hell yeah

Has there been decent, let alone great, horror movies in the last 5 years? Honest question

Absolutely. Don't Breathe which just came out, The Witch. Most of the worthwhile stuff just doesn't make it to theaters, like We Are Still Here, and A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night

Fox318

It took five years for Starrcade '83 to be topped. Amazing!

They fucked up when they moved Starrcade away from thanksgiving and away from the south but even Starrcade 85 did the multicity stuff better.

They bet too much on Dusty's booking and they bet too much on Magnum TA.

Plus the fucking move to Dallas and Vince fucked them over so bad with the survivor series shit,

Frankly I'm still amazed that cable companies even though Vince would pull Wrestlemania from markets in the first place.

Mahonay

Banned
I find it hilarious how finding an avid wrestling fan amongst a normal group of adults is a super rare thing nowadays. Met a super friendly guy out with his lady friend, he found out my girlfriend and I watch. Dude got so excited and we are already planning on doing something for Clash of Champions. It's like children making play dates.

Fox318

Fox318, what is your all-time favorite WCW/NWA PPV? And your all-time favorite WWF/WWE PPV?

Frankly I never grew up on WCW and only going back now am I enjoying some of their stuff. I really started watching wrestling 1998 and 1999.

Even WWE I didn't order many PPVs when I was younger but if I had to pick a fav off the top of my head?

WWE:Wrestlemania 20
WCW: Starrcade 93

Frankly I think most of the WCW stuff has aged a little bit better as the cartoony WWF/WWE stuff doesnt age as well.

At the time I will never forget what that Wrestlemania felt like.

Its so sad looking back.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Starcade 83 is such a surprisingly great PPV when compared to WM

The brawl between Colon and Abdullah is really captivating
Bob Orton and Dick Slater are great heels
Piper vs Valentine is amazing
even the Downtown Charlie Brown match is great. And I hate Jimmy Valiant.
Briscoes, Steamboat roided out of his mind.

Aiii

So not worth it

6vUmV6H.gif

I find it hilarious how finding an avid wrestling fan amongst a normal group of adults is a super rare thing nowadays. Met a super friendly guy out with his lady friend, he found out my girlfriend and I watch. Dude got so excited and we are already planning on doing something for Clash of Champions. It's like children making play dates.
Disgusting!

Oh, I guess Hulk Hogan lifting Andre the Giant high above his head and slamming him to the canvas just means nothing now.

Like Dave said, the moment was shocking enough to the audience (that forgot previous slams, and future slams depending on when you watch) you forget how shit the other 99.9 percent of that match is

gun_haver

Has there been decent, let alone great, horror movies in the last 5 years? Honest question

it follows, you're next, the conjuring, don't breathe, off the top of my head. and probably in that order. there will be more i can't remember right this moment but yeah there are plenty of good horror films coming out all the time, it's just the lazy perception of the middle brow that it all stinks cos they saw like, paranormal activity 3 or something and said 'wow horror sucks now i remember when the shining came out'

like i saw don't breath, lights out and blair witch in the past 2 weeks and they were all at least decent.

not saying that's you, people just kind of hear people say that and go 'huh well i guess horror stinks in 2016', but it doesn't, at all.

I saw The Master Cleanse recently and highly recommend it, despite it starring the main guy from Big Bang Theory. It was sold to me as Rosemary's Baby meets Gremlins and that's a pretty good description, tbh. Good performances from the cast, good use of practical effects over CG bullshit and a really creepy yet touching story. Loved it.

Also saw Sadako vs Kayako, which is batshit insane and if you loved The Ring & The Grudge, plus wacky Japanese horrors in general, check it out.

Another one I absolutely adore from the past few years is Berberian Sound Studio, a super weird love letter to Giallo horror that's all about sound and tension.

Backlash 2000 was the real Wrestlemania that year

nothing tops Steve Austin coming back to help the Rock beat the McMahon-Helmsley family for an main event ending

gun_haver

I think I like Lapsed Fan's version of Austin better than Lapsed Vince. I think it's cos, Lapsed Vince pops up every 5 mins, whether JP has a good bit on his mind or not, but when Austin shows it, it's usually great. He's portrayed as a demented man who cannot live outside of his gimmick in any situation.

I always thought it was dumb that Goldberg didn't win the title at Summerslam, it just made too much sense for them to go with it I guess.

"Am I fucking going over?!" -Triple H

It's hilarious that the guy from the Kliq who learned from the best/worst with various stories of protecting his spot and running to whine to Vince about losing and has his place in wrasslin' history largely from his reign of terror is now saying wins and losses don't matter.

"Am I fucking going over?!" -Triple H

It's hilarious that the guy from the Kliq who learned from the best/worst with various stories of protecting his spot and running to whine to Vince about losing and has his place in wrasslin' history largely from his reign of terror is now saying wins and losses don't matter.
Dude is the biggest flip flopping idiot of all time.

Top Bottom