• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin 2016 |OT| - Can Punks Catch as Catch Can Too?

Do wrestlers like Nakamura and Asuka break your current roster when they come in and look unbeatable against anyone you can throw at them?

I know the idea behind a unstoppable force is to finally find their brick wall, but what if that is hard to come by? With the nature of NXT with stars being there for so long and gone, it's hard to build someone up for that....and so you're left waiting for someone to come along in a new superstar who can match your unbeatable top guy and what if that never comes? Ship them off to the main roster and forget it?
Send Asuka to Smackdown after 'Mania and have her beat Becky for the title at the next PPV. Come Summerslam, Becky wins it back in a No Holds Barred match where she spent the few weeks of build-up attacking Asuka's arm and during the match has to resort to more or less destroying Asuka's arm with numerous weapons then to make her tap-out. At the end of it, a sad and dejected Asuka walks out solemnly.

SOUND FAMILIAR?!

3hfail.gif

imBask

Banned
People in here complaining about Bayley and Asuka...how the fuck did you make it through the past 10+ years of Diva's bullshit?

The "piss break" running gag wasn't actually a running gag, it was and still is (depending on who's in the ring) when I usually take a leak

Kaladin

I was about to say, this almost happened with Owens in NXT. Owens really should have taken the US Title from Cena, showed up on NXT with the NXT title, and told Regal to fuck off and take his stupid belt back. Then you get the built-in possible angle of said monster returning in the future to challenge the new champ.

I actually just started December '97 of Raw and Austin basically did this with the IC title.

Now that I think of it, it would have been awesome if KO threw the NXT belt in a river while holding the US title.

Cagey

Banned
People in here complaining about Bayley and Asuka...how the fuck did you make it through the past 10+ years of Diva's bullshit?
Women's wrestling gets graded on a severe curve in WWE.

For me it's just wrestling. The competitors being women doesn't excite me as a special attraction. If it's not good I'm going to skip. A lot of it now is still Not Good. It's better than the past when it was truly Awful, sure, but Not Good is still Not Good.

The best women wrasslers having bad or boring matches is going to make me fast forward. They don't get a special claim to my interest because they're the Best of the Women.

ReiGun

Almost every Wrasslin story I read the last couple of days involves Jericho caring. Ryback, Orton, this...

Best guy Jericho.
Jericho sticks up for pretty much everyone backstage and will throw hands for them if necessary.

We all need a friend like Chris Jericho.

Mahonay

Banned
Women's wrestling gets graded on a severe curve in WWE.

For me it's just wrestling. The competitors being women doesn't excite me as a special attraction. If it's not good I'm going to skip. A lot of it now is still Not Good. It's better than the past when it was truly Awful, sure, but Not Good is still Not Good.

The best women wrasslers having bad or boring matches is going to make me fast forward. They don't get a special claim to my interest because they're the Best of the Women.
Having a MOTY contender in Brooklyn a year ago feels like a pretty massive accomplishment considering where women's wrestling was in WWE.

But I agree the booking for most of the matches and execution still has a long way to go.

At least the Smackdown division makes actual logical sense for each wrestler's motivations. On RAW at least half the time they are just being dumb as fuck. But that goes for the men as well.

Kaladin

So I had never heard this before now, but on WWF The Music Volume 2, Triple H sings the King of Kings theme song.

Not Lemmy, Triple H. It is horrible.

Cagey

Banned
Having a MOTY contender in Brooklyn a year ago feels like a pretty massive accomplishment considering where women's wrestling was in WWE.

But I agree the booking for most of the matches and execution still has a long way to go.

At least the Smackdown division makes actual logical sense for each wrestler's motivations. On RAW at least half the time they are just being dumb as fuck. But that goes for the men as well.
I agree with all that. The Smackdown women are presented to be interesting, even if some of the individuals I'm not into or the matches aren't great to me. It's much better than no intrigue and poor matches.

Asuka really isn't a monster, it that she is so much better than everyone. I always wonder what would happen to asuka if she face someone who is equal to her.

If they let her go full "strong style" it'd be something

But the woman are just as much in the "make X look strong" mode as the men

Nekofrog

Banned
I'm a few episodes past the invasion ppv and it's clear that there were a few hand picked guys out of the wcw ecw alliance to actually become characters that either are slowly getting over (kanyon) or rapidly getting over (rvd)

Good kanyon was such a tragic story. He did some really fun stuff in wcw and of he was still here he'd be fantastic as a trainer in nxt

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm a few episodes past the invasion ppv and it's clear that there were a few hand picked guys out of the wcw ecw alliance to actually become characters that either are slowly getting over (kanyon) or rapidly getting over (rvd)

Good kanyon was such a tragic story. He did some really fun stuff in wcw

He would have been a great guy to have in a backstage role. Not only did he know wrestling and was actually pretty smart, he was a professional stuntman as well

Mahonay

Banned

Good kanyon was such a tragic story. He did some really fun stuff in wcw and of he was still here he'd be fantastic as a trainer in nxt

He would have been a great guy to have in a backstage role. Not only did he know wrestling and was actually pretty smart, he was a professional stuntman as well
Who better than Kanyon?

Oersted

Was at a shitty ass funfair. One stand had the usual "What is copyright?" shirts.

3 from WWE. Undertaker(lots of him), Brock and
Baron Corbin

Nice interview with Jack Gallagher on last night's LAW. He sounds like a swell guy, and he was one of my favorite parts of the CWC.

i need you guys to make the november thread acceptable to my standards as my date of birth falls in the month. i swear, fail at this most important task and there will be dire and vigorous consequences.

You a fellow Libra, Groovy? Between Halloween, the changing weather, and my birthday, October is the best month.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That's where personality and style come in. Asuka has the it factor, whereas Lesnar is an unlikeable pasty farm boy schmuck. Ooooh!

asuka got blacklisted from several joshi promotions in japan because of her bad backstage personality and ego

ooooooh!

i need you guys to make the november thread acceptable to my standards as my date of birth falls in the month. i swear, fail at this most important task and there will be dire and vigorous consequences.
NoSellber is already in the works, friend.

asuka got blacklisted from several joshi promotions in japan because of her bad backstage personality and ego

ooooooh!
Are we sure it wasn't for those nazi outfits?

Top Bottom