• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin 2016 |OT| - Can Punks Catch as Catch Can Too?

Kaladin

a1dx8MYh.jpg

Money well spent.

Those glitches the internet likes to focus on are in reality few and far between in actual gameplay. The main problem of the game is re-use of old graphics and other elements like commentary, animations and such. Everything doesn't get an update every year, and it shows when some things slip.

Watched the Cruiserweight highlights on YouTube. Cole really does my head in with the "HE CALLS IT X" shtick.

Oh, and I'll probably pick up 2K17, although it helps me justify it to myself that the kids at the local Youth Club enjoy the games because they're wee marks..

Those glitches the internet likes to focus on are in reality few and far between in actual gameplay. The main problem of the game is re-use of old graphics and other elements like commentary, animations and such. Everything doesn't get an update every year, and it shows when some things slip.
That sounds like it's worth the price of admission every year.

the rules are different for Stephanie

As it turned out, with business at a weak point, Vince McMahon decided to create a new Hulk Hogan, in Lex Luger, spent tons of money with the famed "Lex Express" bus and the biggest push he'd ever given to a wrestler, and groomed him for the title in a long chase that would end at the next Wrestlemania. But Luger never got over to their expectations, and by the time Wrestlemania rolled around, it was Hart who wound up with the title.

While there were more hours of pro wrestling available with the various regional companies in existence in the mid-80s (some markets had as much as 40 hours of pro wrestling programming per week and there were some small TV stations that ran nightly one hour wrestling shows in the same time slot), this is different because it is two major companies producing 14 hours of first-run national cable and network programming every week.

In hindsight, WCW producing Thunder, a decision many were against from the start but one that the company really couldn't afford to turn down because of the additional income guaranteeing WCW to be so profitable, sped up the decline of the company. There is just so much creativity and so many angles that can be done with characters before the minds burn out and the characters get stale. And there is the human cost. Before WCW added Thunder to the schedule, we predicted the morale problems, the problems at home as far as marriage problems caused by more work and greater stress, and how all would eventually chip at the foundation of the company. Even if the public doesn't tire of ECW and WWF over the next year, neither company can avoid the burn-out problem and personal problems caused by the added stress of more work. Those factors may not hurt either company right away, but at some point they will take their toll, just as they did with WCW. WWF alleviated some of the problems by dumping Heat as an arena format show, and eliminating Superastros, but nobody in the creative process really spent much time on the latter show. The fact is, there is a huge difference in going on the road for three days every other week with going on the road two or three days every week, with a corresponding increase, not decrease, in the amount of work that will need to be done by the same people who put together these shows, when they get back home. Success can drive adrenaline for a while, but marital stress, which is almost unavoidable when the work load increases at home at the same time travel schedule gets harder, will kill the adrenaline rush of success in a hurry. The people who produce these shows are not machines, even if the public often thinks of them in less than human terms

What hurt WCW will not necessarily hurt WWF, as WCW's incompetence in many areas were noticeable even when it was doing great business one year ago. It's not a lock that the same free-fall that hit WCW about nine months after Thunder debuted will hit WWF next summer due to Smack Down. In the beginning, Thunder drew excellent numbers and Nitro numbers stayed up. Eventually, the creativity was lost and people were going insane due to the travel. To preserve sanity, Bischoff was forced to cut Thunder tapings down and tape two shows every other week rather than weekly. Thunder, as it became established as a secondary show, started falling from low 4s to where it's now in the mid 2s and will drop a great deal starting this week as it won't be able to compete with Smack Down. While they did everything to try and keep Nitro strong, Nitro ended up falling as well, partially due to Raw's popularity and partially due to Nitro's weaknesses. But even in a better run organization, the human factors involving burnout and exhaustion are going to be the same among WWF creative employees, as well as wrestlers, since television tapings are far more grueling and stressful than house shows, and they now have two nights of it every week and three in some weeks. WWF is attempting to alleviate this somewhat by booking as many, but not all, television tapings in the Northeast so they won't require a full travel day to and back, at least more often than not. What you'll see first is mental exhaustion on the air, as happened in WCW. Wrestlers and announcers forgetting storylines and dates of matches, maybe names of holds, during live broadcasts and making other mental errors. The next step among wrestlers will be an increase in injuries from being tired and performing, combined with more home life stress from being on the road and working longer hours, all of which will lead to less creativity. These factors will probably all be noticeable long before there is a decline, and don't guarantee that there will be a decline, only that life will be harder for those on top in the profession.

its amazing how cyclical things are

do what you want with your money
Yeah. At the end of the day, if you want to buy a modern WWE game or sub to the Network, you can

But don't act like you don't know what you're in for. What you're enabling.

If you pay for a shit product, you cannot be stunned it's shit. And as long as you're paying for it, you cannot be stunned they have no incentive to make gold instead.

Mahonay

Banned
Yeah. At the end of the day, if you want to buy a modern WWE game or sub to the Network, you can

If you pay for a shit product, you cannot be stunned it's shit. And as long as you're paying for it, you cannot be stunned they have no incentive to make gold instead.
That's a false comparison since the Network is actually pretty damn great for what it gives you. WWE 2K is a bad product.

But yes, paying for the WWE Network is essentially contributing money to their shit TV product.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

doesn't matter, it'll still sell. they've been bad for years and continue to sell

no one is occupying yukes

Honestly at this point if everyone "voted with their wallets" and didn't buy 2k17 they'd probably just take it as a sign to stop making them altogether and focus on phone games

Much like improving the wrestling product itself there's not a whole lot of incentive to make a good wrestling game

Honestly at this point if everyone "voted with their wallets" and didn't buy 2k17 they'd probably just take it as a sign to stop making them altogether and focus on phone games

Much like improving the wrestling product itself there's not a whole lot of incentive to make a good wrestling game

Doesn't help that there is zero competition

gun_haver

Doesn't help that there is zero competition

it would be cool to get some kind of non-wwe conglomerate federation game. i'm surprised that doesn't exist now. around the world, if you've got NJPW, TNA, the UK feds, LU and mexican stuff (not familiar) - I think you'd get a million + sales out of that, sure.

it would be cool to get some kind of non-wwe conglomerate federation game. i'm surprised that doesn't exist now. around the world, if you've got NJPQ, TNA, the UK feds, LU and mexican stuff (not familiar) - I think you'd get a million + sales out of that, sure.

That's a licensing nightmare is why that hasn't happened.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
it would be cool to get some kind of non-wwe conglomerate federation game. i'm surprised that doesn't exist now. around the world, if you've got NJPQ, TNA, the UK feds, LU and mexican stuff (not familiar) - I think you'd get a million + sales out of that, sure.

splitting the money would be a complete nightmare

gun_haver

That's a licensing nightmare is why that hasn't happened.

yeah that occurred to me as i wrote it. a lot of these guys float between feds though so i dunno, maybe you don't use the brands themselves, just the wrestlers. still would be a logistical, financial and egotistical nightmare though i guess.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
its amazing how cyclical things are

The problem is that cancelling SmackDown would be a huge hit to their TV contract even if they magically returned to getting 4.0 ratings on Raw.

I legit don't think it can be cancelled.

The new 2k17 trailer shows me all I need to know to know my pre-order is justified. That My Career mode looks awesome. Though, as usual, their CAW they create for the trailer is shitty as fuck.

Man people think of those games as the antichrist at times and I'm over here kinda enjoying those games. Like if you look at it as some toybox for all your wrestlers and just interact with them and perform moves, it's actually not terrible. Like a 6/10 for the most part. Not saying they can't improve though, plenty of space for that.

Still have yet to see anyone claim this avi of Papa Meltz. C'mon you gotta want it!

b1qwKth.png

Man people think of those games as the antichrist at times and I'm over here kinda enjoying those games. Like if you look at it as some toybox for all your wrestlers and just interact with them and perform moves, it's actually not terrible. Like a 6/10 for the most part. Not saying they can't improve though, plenty of space for that.

Still have yet to see anyone claim this avi of Papa Meltz. C'mon you gotta want it!

b1qwKth.png

Why is half of Owen Hart's nose in that pic?

gun_haver

i know this isn't exactly a groundbreaking opinion, but i think if you take any internet reaction in general and dial it back about 75%, you get something closer to the way it is. positive or negative.

i haven't played the 2k17 games just cos i have far too much wrestling in my life as it is, and when i play games i play other things, but i can see having fun with even the most rudimentary aspects of roleplaying as a wrestler. i don't know why people even entertain paying £40+ for the games though when they WILL be like £5 in six months.

klonere

Banned
The WWE games would be perfectly fine if the fundamentals of the engine (sound, graphics, animations, control feel, lighting etc) were like, anywhere approaching competent.

Sephzilla

The problem I have with the glitches in 2K games are that some of the glitches that make it into the final game would have been fixed if there was any level of QA put on these games. Like in 2k14, there was a bug where the wrong title card would pop up when doing custom stories in custom arenas.

That's the general problem with most of the modern WWE games. They feel like alpha versions of a final game that haven't been QA'd yet.

Mahonay

Banned
The WWE games would be perfectly fine if the fundamentals of the engine (sound, graphics, animations, control feel, lighting etc) were like, anywhere approaching competent.
The mix of awkward controls and stilted animations is what puts me off WWE 2K the most. The wrestlers looking like lifeless zombie versions of themselves doesn't help either for a game that is trying to be a simulation.

Mahonay

Banned
I must preface to say that I never grew up with an N64 and never played a wrestling game until Here Comes The Pain. That game ruled.
I had a PS1 but a lot of my friends had N64's. So I played a lot of 4 player WCW vs NWO World Tour, and WM2000/No Mercy. But I really loved the first two Smackdown games for Playstation as well.

I played a lot of WWF Warzone on PS1, but in retrospect that and WWF Attitude were pretty bad games. As a kid I just liked that they accurately depicted the wrestler entrances a lot better than the N64 games.

Mahonay

Banned
I think the games that made me give up on wrestling games were WWF Royal Rumble for Dreamcast, and WWF Raw for Xbox.

I chose poorly.

I'm a bitch and will admit all it'd take for me to enable these shit games by buying them is bringing back GM Mode and doing an HD remake of SVR 06

it'll never happen but hey, proof everyone has a price

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I remember when people said wwe wouldn't fuck bayley but here we are.

They haven't. She still gets huge pops and chants and they put her in the title match for no actual reason.

She's just not gonna win the title because her character is a super underdog, e.g. the kayfabe B+ player that just can't get it done. It's the same way she isn't winning the title whenever she gets a 1-on-1 unless its Mania or SummerSlam or something.

Mahonay

Banned
They haven't. She still gets huge pops and chants and they put her in the title match for no actual reason.

She's just not gonna win the title because her character is a super underdog, e.g. the kayfabe B+ player that just can't get it done. It's the same way she isn't winning the title.
MONDAY NIGHT RAW! Where we have no plan week to week, and almost all of the storylines spin their wheels until the next PPV!

Top Bottom