• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin 2016 |OT| - Can Punks Catch as Catch Can Too?

I just want to know how low the ratings have to go before the executives in the company decide that there needs to be a change in power

meltxz says when they stop doing better than other usa shows. its why usa went all in on wwe. they did better than every show on the network.

take raw and SD out and usa goes form 7 to like 13 in terms of ratings

jmdajr

This week’s Raw viewership number is the lowest audience for a non-holiday episode of the show since the 1990s. Raw this week narrowly beat the 2.658 million viewers who tuned in for this year’s Fourth of July episode.

fun!

The only positive about the viewership is that the third hour is higher than it was last week.

tumblr_nonsapbDAV1up7foto1_500.gif

Cagey

Banned
You shouldn't want WWE to tank.

If WWE falls then pro wrestling on American TV is done.

USA isn't in the wrasslin business; they're in the WWE business.

There's no potential for competitors because no one wants wrestling. The WWE brand is all that keeps it afloat.

There's no potential for competitors because no one wants wrestling. The WWE brand is all that keeps it afloat.

ROH is on a station nobody gets and TNA failed out of national TV. It's already just about done on a national television scale

Sephzilla

If WWE would, theoretically, collapse we'd likely return to the days of territories for a while until someone new starts up a big US promotion. Wrestling's appeal in america is not necessarily tied to WWE.

Cagey

Banned
ROH is on a station nobody gets and TNA failed out of national TV. It's already just about done on a national television scale
That's my point. It's a minor miracle either of them even have TV deals no matter how shit they are.

WWE continues because of the brand, not the genre. The genre is seen as near worthless.

Sephzilla

WWE continues because it effectively monopolized american professional wrestling and basically put a ceiling on any other competition getting decent television deals. WWE going down would probably allow one or two other promotions to get halfway decent television deals because there'd no longer be the looming specter of competing against WWE anymore plus other promotions would be able to get better talent and actually hold onto them.

Sephzilla

if wwe dies, everyone would go to Japan.

Or Mexico. At least until an American promotion starts paying decently.

It goes without question that if WWE would ever go under the US wrestling industry would go into a recession for a bit, but it would eventually recover and I think one or two decent promotions would rise as a result.

Kaladin

If WWE dies, it would be a failing of the McMahon family, either ending it or selling it off.

If that is the case, someone like Triple H or even another creative type might try to start something from the ashes.

I imagine we'd have something similar to Jeff Jarrett's early vision of NWA-TNA at first.

cordy

Banned
Reigns is bad for ratings. Last year when Raw had shitty ratings he was champion if I recall. Him winning's bad for ratings too.

SD is gonna go buckwild on these boys with Cena/Ambrose in the main event and that IC title match. Hell, I bet it was competition. "You put Reigns/Owens in a steel cage against Cena/Ambrose and see who wins" and watch who will win. SD will take this week.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
a very audible 'doink' chant breaking out during this squash match

this was after doink screwed over lawler but remained a heel against bret.

real ass doink, you might say

Lothar

Banned

Wouldn't WWE attempt to start trying before they tank? That's all I want.

They clearly are not trying with the last two Raws. They're not trying by still pushing Reigns as top face when no one wants to cheer for him.

Sephzilla

Here's something I didn't think about. The McMahons (including HHH) would probably be booted out of power before WWE reached "death" status. In all likelihood the next big promotion to challenge WWE would likely be a Vince McMahon creation.

*Checks Twitter*

jK3DR.gif

Hi Sunny!

Sunny's reading?

I'm sorry but I need an explanation for why he made this donation

@NKYgirl1
May I ask @Fahrenthold why would anyone donate to the Trump Foundation? Serious question. I don't get it. #TRUMPCHARITY

@Fahrenthold
Good question! I've asked 3 biggest recent donors: @VinceMcMahon, Richard Ebers, @NBCUniversal. No comment from all.
https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/778331982283542528

Fucked up

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Heenan was talking over the instant replay and it shows Doink is doing the whopee cushion(which is a flying seated senton) Heenan goes
'And look at this move. You just don't get up from that!'
and the camera pauses the replay showing Doink in the air
'and how can he stop in mid-air? That's great!'
'That's the tape operator!'
'That's the tape operator? That's who Doink is? I knew it!'

Tagyhag

I'm surprised some of you think WWE would just die and that'd be the end of it.

Someone will buy it. If TNA manages to shamble along like a lifeless husk, so can WWE.

Kaladin

Prior to the Attitude Era, you'd actually have matches on Raw. When the attitude era starts in late '97, you're lucky if a match goes 3 minutes on TV. Main events hardly happen for the angles they're trying to do.

At least we got Real Ass Stone Cold.

Cagey

Banned
Wouldn't WWE attempt to start trying before they tank? That's all I want.

They clearly are not trying with the last two Raws. They're not trying by still pushing Reigns as top face when no one wants to cheer for him.
You mean Seth Rollins is positioned as the top face right? Like what are people watching that I'm not. Reigns is clearly still one of the top faces but let's not act like he's getting center billing with the Seth Turn.

Wagram

It's quick and easy to try and blame the talent. In reality they need an entire regime change behind the curtain. The stories are flat, the pacing is bad (especially on Raw), and there's too many not so hidden bias agendas.

Zach

Heenan was talking over the instant replay and it shows Doink is doing the whopee cushion(which is a flying seated senton) Heenan goes
'And look at this move. You just don't get up from that!'
and the camera pauses the replay showing Doink in the air
'and how can he stop in mid-air? That's great!'
'That's the tape operator!'
'That's the tape operator? That's who Doink is? I knew it!'

10 out of 10.

Sephzilla

I don't actually think WWE will die, I'm just talking hypothetically.

Like, hypothetically, WrestleMania 32 would have been amazing if we would have gotten the Daniel Bryan vs Brock Lesnar storyline

Top Bottom