• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin 2016 |OT| - Can Punks Catch as Catch Can Too?

tumblr_ocs71cg2161sbzhteo1_400.gif

miserable

Tenryu was pretty dickish in some of his matches. Like in this match against Tenzan in a tournament final from 2004. Tenzan has a big cut on his head from an earlier match and he has a band-aid on it. So the first thing Tenryu does is rips off the band-aid and proceeds to fuck up Tenzan by punching, kicking and biting the wound.

punchx8a10.gif

bite3qytf.gif

northernukzlq.gif

I'm getting back into wrestling soon.

I haven't watched all year. The last event I watched was the Raw when Daniel Bryan retired. I haven't had it in me to watch since then. When I got back into wrestling, CM Punk and Daniel Bryan were my favorites. They are what brought me back after a 12 year hiatus (this was in 2011-2012). To see Daniel Bryan retire like that broke me. I couldn't watch wrestling because it could possibly mean I'd have to watch more early retirements. I saw a gif the other week with the Uso's on a ladder match and taking this massive bump. I just sighed.

Other than that Raw, the only event I've seen this year was Wrestle Kingdom.

Feds I tend to watch:

NJPW (main)
NXT (main)
Lucha (watch on the side in bulk)
ROH (watch now and then but don't follow religiously)
WWE (read about, watch highlights)

My favorite wrestler is Sasha Banks. I have to say that the progress of the women's division storyline also kind of broke me because my favorite wrestler was now relegated to a shitty division and I couldn't take it.

With Kevin Owens winning the belt, I have interest again but I have to catch up. Any good highlights? NXT I feel like I have to watch almost a years worth of NXT to catch up. I missed Nakamura's debut. He's pretty rad in NJPW so I don't know how he'll transition in NXT but I'm hopeful.

I'm getting back into wrestling soon.

I haven't watched all year. The last event I watched was the Raw when Daniel Bryan retired. I haven't had it in me to watch since then. When I got back into wrestling, CM Punk and Daniel Bryan were my favorites. They are what brought me back after a 12 year hiatus (this was in 2011-2012). To see Daniel Bryan retire like that broke me. I couldn't watch wrestling because it could possibly mean I'd have to watch more early retirements. I saw a gif the other week with the Uso's on a ladder match and taking this massive bump. I just sighed.

Other than that Raw, the only event I've seen this year was Wrestle Kingdom.

Feds I tend to watch:

NJPW (main)
NXT (main)
Lucha (watch on the side in bulk)
ROH (watch now and then but don't follow religiously)
WWE (read about, watch highlights)

My favorite wrestler is Sasha Banks. I have to say that the progress of the women's division storyline also kind of broke me because my favorite wrestler was now relegated to a shitty division and I couldn't take it.

With Kevin Owens winning the belt, I have interest again but I have to catch up. Any good highlights? NXT I feel like I have to watch almost a years worth of NXT to catch up. I missed Nakamura's debut. He's pretty rad in NJPW so I don't know how he'll transition in NXT but I'm hopeful.

This is probably the best time to catch up since they just debuted a new title with the brand split and everything.

This is probably the best time to catch up since they just debuted a new title with the brand split and everything.

Is the draft worth watching? Can you link to the draft? I've never experienced the brand split ever. WWE honestly is at the bottom of feds for me. I follow it but don't really watch. Three hours for Raw, and two hours for Smackdown is too fucking long. Fuck that. One hour shows please.

klonere

Banned
Is the draft worth watching? Can you link to the draft? I've never experienced the brand split ever. WWE honestly is at the bottom of feds for me. I follow it but don't really watch. Three hours for Raw, and two hours for Smackdown is too fucking long. Fuck that. One hour shows please.

The draft itself was actually pretty underwhelming but the first Raw AFTER the draft is essential viewing.

Smackdown is actually a pretty easy 2 hour watch nowadays with some great character work being put on by AJ, Heath Slater, Becky, Ambrose, Ziggler and most recently The Miz. Definitely a different kind of watch than a regular workrate NJPW show or something, a great palette cleanser.

Raw is still eminently skippable.

The draft itself was actually pretty underwhelming but the first Raw AFTER the draft is essential viewing.

Smackdown is actually a pretty easy 2 hour watch nowadays with some great character work being put on by AJ, Heath Slater, Becky, Ambrose, Ziggler and most recently The Miz. Definitely a different kind of watch than a regular workrate NJPW show or something, a great palette cleanser.

Raw is still eminently skippable.

How is my girl Sasha these days?

On his best day, Taue can almost convince me he's the best of the four pillars, but as much as I love the guy his best day didn't come very often - I find he had two truly *great* periods of his career, from about 1993-1998 and from 2001-2006, but his resume is definitely lacking compared to Kawada, Kobashi & Misawa's.

Heroman

Banned
On his best day, Taue can almost convince me he's the best of the four pillars, but as much as I love the guy his best day didn't come very often - I find he had two truly *great* periods of his career, from about 1993-1998 and from 2001-2006, but his resume is definitely lacking compared to Kawada, Kobashi & Misawa's.

Tell more about this 2001 - 2006 run?

She fucked up her back pretty bad IIRC

Tagyhag

Dave said a couple months ago Vince was beginning to compare her to Bryan

If you didn't believe it then, you have to now. This is becoming legit concerning

He's not wrong.

She's out there like she's got something to prove.

But all that will happen is a short career.

Months ago backstage Vince was beginning to compare Sasha to Bryan in terms of injuries. In that she always got them, never changed anything, and continued to get them

Then she came back, won the belt, lost it in her first defense due to injury due to not changing anything ever, and continued to be on the shelf.

So. Yeah. This is Bryan all over again, and I can only hope the fans don't defend and enable the wrestler this time.

What? Details.
The bad part of this is Vince McMahon has on several occasions said he believes Banks only knows one speed and that’s all out, and even months ago was comparing her with Daniel Bryan, feeling she’s injury-prone. That label isn’t a kiss of death, but there does come a point where if there are too many injuries they can get leery and you never know when that point is since Vince has put the two in the same category.
. This was months before the injury causing her to take time off and give the title up.

cordy

Banned
Love how Styles and Ambrose's characters have changed these past few months. Styles went from from a whiny heel who needed help to beat Cena to a dominant confident douchebag who's as big of an ass as an 80s movie villain. Ambrose went from "Mr Wacky Guyz" pre-champion to a laidback more controlled champion post-win. They work well off each other. Not many on the roster could have pulled off that "AJ hurts his balls on the rope and Ambrose feels bad for him" spot last night the way those two did. AJ sold that damn well. Even on Talking Smack.

Character development.

Shit, even Carmella is much better. Didn't notice last night but last week when she just turned heel? All I remember is her constantly pulling her pants down to show that "fabulous" sign on them. She stopped after every move to do that.

Tagyhag

85yT1S9.gif

M-m-maybe it's best to not get back into wrestling. My heart can't take it.

Hopefully she'll be fine.

I'm really hoping that during her break her friends and family try to talk to sense into her.

Becky Lynch is a great wrestler and she doesn't have to go all out every time to do so.

I would just ask her, "Do you really want to be like Daniel Bryan?" Because you can tell the man hurts inside every time he's out there while someone else is wrestling.

klonere

Banned

From my very limited viewing Taue played his role of just being the most out and out heelish of the group. Misawa was stoic, Kobashi was full of fire, Kawada was a hardass and most similar to Taue but Taue was the easiest to root against if that makes any sense.

Then again that aforementioned limited viewing might be skewing my perspective a bit.

M-m-maybe it's best to not get back into wrestling. My heart can't take it.

There's a spare spot in the Becky fanclub! She's gonna win the Smackdown women's title for sure! Heh....for sure....right?

Top Bottom