• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin' 2016 |OT2| Sometimes You Just Need to Shoot for a Double

Recall

So I just watched Clash of Champions 9 for the awesone Flair vs Funk I quit match, but I thought it featured a piledriver on the ringside table and Funk putting a plastic bag on Flair's head but this wasn't the match.

What was the match where Funk did that? Was it against Flair? Did I just make it up?

NWA/WCW is a product I just never followed.

Cten80sUsAAQYSe.jpg

Zach

So I just watched Clash of Champions 9 for the awesone Flair vs Funk I quit match, but I thought it featured a piledriver on the ringside table and Funk putting a plastic bag on Flair's head but this wasn't the match.

What was the match where Funk did that? Was it against Flair? Did I just make it up?

I think the piledriver on the table was before it. Funk may have been "retired" doing commentary or something and then he attacked Flair.

Man, did I miss the discussion about John Cena burying Ambrose on Talking Smack this week? Renee looked like she wanted to crawl in a hole and die. Poor Ambrose...

Recall

I think the piledriver on the table was before it. Funk may have been "retired" doing commentary or something and then he attacked Flair.

So in essence it was the set up for the match to take place? Ok cool thanks.

After the clash match we had Gary Hart turning on Funk, Muta beating up Flair and Luger jumping Sting who had only come to help Flair. Was there ever a pay off?

The Network doesn't feature any of the weekly show past July 1989 and I guess the only event after is Starrcade? I think I'm gonna have to do a little research.

Zach

Recall, check out WrestleWar '89. Or at least the main event.

(And then you'll probably want to watch one of my favorite events: The Great American Bash '89.)

Zach

Whoops. Recall, looking at Wikipedia, it's not actually WrestleWar '89's main event surprisingly. The Flair/Steamboat match (and its aftermath) on the event is what you're looking for, though.

And then GAB '89. :D

Recall

Be sure to read that follow-up post, my man.

I just had a look what the GAB 89 card is and it instantly hit me. I've seen that show, it is an incredible show. I've seen the war games match several times and Sting vs Muta. Will watch the Funk / Flair match again as I don't remember what exactly happens in it beyond there being a lot of blood.

I never began watching WCW until 1996 so that 87-95 period is pretty much virgin territory for me.

There's always something to complain about Miz from Meltzer. He probably hated this weeks segment. I've never seen him say anything strongly positive on him.

jmdajr

Miz is doing good work, and seeing his wife is always a plus.

Super old school style in the ring but whatevs. Flippy shit alone isn't enough.

Wrestle war 89 funk attacks flair after his match with steamboat

klonere

Banned
AN ILLICIT AMOUNT OF FLIPS

CtgxoZrXYAAehJC.jpg:small

There's always something to complain about Miz from Meltzer. He probably hated this weeks segment. I've never seen him say anything strongly positive on him.

Apparently Alvarez completely dumped all over the Miz/Dolph Smackdown segment even more on his show with Tom Lawlor. So fucking out of touch it hurts, so glad I dropped my sub.

Yeah I don't understand this hate boner Meltzer has for him. Miz could put on a 5 star classic at the Tokyo Dome with Tanahashi and he'd still complain.

Heroman

Banned
Let's be honest here miz is a good character who is also a boring inring worker. So there a reason why someone would not like him.

KingBroly

Banned
I hope Bound for Glory doesn't happen at this rate. Then Broken Matt Hardy can describe The Great War on twitter. Or in a book.

If Ziggler wins, then what?

If Miz wins, his reign continues with more heat because he ended the career of someone who put it all on the line and lost, just like Daniel Bryan.

Thoughts on the Bret vs Owen cage match from Summerslam 1994.

Way too many cage escape attempts, between both guys there were probably at least a dozen spots where one guy was atop the cage only to be hauled back in, that said there was a nice payoff at the end with the double version of this spot to finish.

The ending has the kind of heat WWE wish they had now with the post match beatdown, an excellent use of a stable and the cage itself.

We're talking the cool '90s kind of bad here, right?
latest

Thoughts on the Bret vs Owen cage match from Summerslam 1994.

Way too many cage escape attempts, between both guys there were probably at least a dozen spots where one guy was atop the cage only to be hauled back in, that said there was a nice payoff at the end with the double version of this spot to finish.

The ending has the kind of heat WWE wish they had now with the post match beatdown, an excellent use of a stable and the cage itself.
That was my biggest problem in the match. Hated it so much. Made me want the match to be over.

ReiGun

I'd feel bad for Matt if Bound for Glory doesn't happen to cap off this part of the Broken Saga. Dude's finally figured it out after a career of being a fuck up in his personal life and "the other Hardy" on screen.

Mannnnn, I highly suggest people listen to Lapsed Fan SummerSlam 2002. Not just because it's our boy Fox, but because so much throughout it the two of them have these revelations of just how much of a parallel is going on between then and now.

They touch a bit on why matches now just don't have the same feel too. They were using the 3-team tag match as an example of this. Basically boiling it down to that match had a lot of spot moments, but never was there a moment where you felt like any member in the match was pausing to sell the spot for camera/production. They do go on to point out how there are great workers now, but because of this need to sell reactions and spot-festing it's a far less interesting match because you're not being teased nearly as much.

jmdajr

I used to really be into Wipeout, Ridge Racer, and Gran Tourismo. Hell I was very good at the first 2.

Sort stopped playing those type of games once Xbox 360 rolled out. Why? Can't say.

klonere

Banned
Miz is doing excellent work within the context of the WWE and Meltzer's/Alvarez's inability to detach his critical mind from Reseda or Korakuen (or 20 years ago in Alvarez's case) when analysing WWE is pretty bad, if that is what is happening. Like seruously, do you judge a DG 6 man cluster on the same scale as Trauma I vs Canis Lupus or a ZSJ/Tyler Bate World of Sport throwback or a NJPW main event or Matt Riddle in some high school gym somewhere? The presentation, methods, lineage and goals of all these things are different.

The Miz isn't trying to break new ground with innovative spots and offense. The DG 6 man isn't trying to emphasize selling or the importance of the opening moments, Tramua/Lupus isn't about scientific, realistic wrestling, ZSJ/Tyler Bate aren't going to ditch the one upmanship element of the WoS style, Naito isn't going to DQ himself in the main event to hold on to the belt, the setting of Matt Riddle's match does not preclude you from recognizing his huge star potential.

And yet with The Miz, who is perhaps doing the best job on the entire WWE roster of being what the ideal "Superstar" should be, of building a heated feud with a man who has no right to be cheered or believed in, to executing his in ring performances to exactly what is needed according to storyline, to living and breathing his gimmick and building interest in his belt...after all that he's bad because Alvarez is an out of touch geek? Or because people's preconceptions are so set in stone they can't get over that to see the work this dude is putting in?

God, I sound like a Miz stan, which I definitely am not, but the dude deserves all the credit in the world for dredging the IC belt out of the fucking sewer, snapping at that opportunity as soon as it was presented to him and looking, acting and feeling like the most hungry, motivated guy on the entire roster. More than Jericho, Owens, Cena, Reigns, Rusev, all your favs, everybody. You can feel the need to be back in that main event. That's what's most exciting about The Miz. And fair play to SD for giving him a platform to do that, rather than be crushed alive by Stephanie McMahon and Hunter.

Top Bottom