• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin' 2016 |OT2| Sometimes You Just Need to Shoot for a Double

Oersted

“Vince McMahon is not a human being. They don’t make people like Vince. Vince is Vince. I can’t even describe to you what it’s like being in a room with Vince McMahon. He is above man. That’s the best way I can put it. Like-minded people take over the world, so I’ve always had a great rapport with him.”

Anth0ny

Who is the Lapsed Fan and why is it talked about so much? Did someone from here start it?

Are they like Review a Wai?

they do long form podcast reviews of wrestling shows every week. there's nothing quite like them. they go super in depth, reflecting on the industry as a whole at the time of the show, their personal recollections as well as fan recollections, reading passages from various autobiographies of wrestlers, and then breaking down the show itself.

their style of humor is also right up my
ass
alley. that will make or break the podcast for you, probably.

give them a try here, just look for one of your favorite shows. they are probably most well known for their wrestlemania journey and starrcade memorial tour, where they reviewed every mania and starrcade and even got Dave Meltzer to reflect on each show. Mania 17 was my first lapsed fan, and I was hooked ever since.

they do long form podcast reviews of wrestling shows every week. there's nothing quite like them. they go super in depth, reflecting on the industry as a whole at the time of the show, their personal recollections as well as fan recollections, reading passages from various autobiographies of wrestlers, and then breaking down the show itself.

their style of humor is also right up my alley. that will make or break the podcast for you, probably.

give them a try here, just look for one of your favorite shows. they are probably most well known for their wrestlemania journey and starrcade memorial tour, where they reviewed every mania and starrcade and even got Dave Meltzer to reflect on each show. Mania 17 was my first lapsed fan, and I was hooked ever since.
https://soundcloud.com/thelapsedfan

I would suggest starting with their Wrestlemania 1 podcast and working your way up.
Sees the time stamps

mbrKDZM.gif

I'll give Wrestlemania 21 a try but holy shit.

Adree

Who is the Lapsed Fan and why is it talked about so much? Did someone from here start it?

Are they like Review a Wai?

Review a Wai if Wai had to stop every 2 minutes and make bad jokes in a good Vince McMahon impersonation and also it's 14 hours long. The only good thing they ever did was have Meltzer on to do recollections for the Wrestlemania/Starrcade stuff.

Fox318

Sees the time stamps

mbrKDZM.gif

I'll give Wrestlemania 21 a try but holy shit.
Honestly if you like the humor and enjoy the deep looks into how the company was ran they can go by really quickly.

There may be humor that's referenced in prior episodes that you might not get.

For example John DuPont is a recurring character.

The hosts are a well respected journalist and his stage/improve/tv actor friend.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
osw review are the only nerds i'll listen talk about wrestling

and its not the modern stuff. and if there wasn't video ,i wouldn't watch it at all

Fox318

Even in 1985, Jim Ross was better than anyone on commentary currently in the WWE.
A commentator needs to have the trust of the fans. Like this person is going to call out if a kick didn't connect all the way or like a Monsoon he would root hard for the good guys. All Cole really does it out over the brand and spout hashtags.

I've always said that when you compare the memorable calls that an announcer has made Cole might only have one in Eddie winning the belt though I think that had more to do with that being such an amazing thing.

I think Mauro has it right now but Cole has never had it.

Zach

and its not the modern stuff. and if there wasn't video ,i wouldn't watch it at all
Neeerrrd.

Stumbling onto an OSW Review three-ish years ago is what brought me back into the wrassle fold. :,)

I watch OSW review. The boys have good gimmicks going for them (Boys Club, What Bar?). I finished their latest ep. I usually come back and rewatch older eps.

I heard two podcasts from LF, and if it wasn't for the Vince impersonations, it would be boring.

Only podcast I listen to is Going in Raw, don't think anyone has heard of it. But I love their sarcastic, yet positive humor.

I have; it's good.

Are you saying you watch OSW and give them your undivided attention?

Yikes

A commentator needs to have the trust of the fans. Like this person is going to call out if a kick didn't connect all the way or like a Monsoon he would root hard for the good guys. All Cole really does it out over the brand and spout hashtags.

I've always said that when you compare the memorable calls that an announcer has made Cole might only have one in Eddie winning the belt though I think that had more to do with that being such an amazing thing.

I think Mauro has it right now but Cole has never had it.
There's a lot said about how much of a yes man Michael Cole is, but I think his biggest problem is he has no desire to be better than a yes man. See how he's reading off a fucking script while Shane McMahon jumps to his near death 3 feet in front of him at WM 32.

ReiGun

Only podcast I listen to is Going in Raw, don't think anyone has heard of it. But I love their sarcastic, yet positive humor.

I listen to it too. I do like how positive they are, even if it sometimes results in feeling like they like everything.

gun_haver

is going in raw a weekly new tv kind of show? cos the one thing i miss about just listening to lapsed fan is you can't follow along too much, cos it';s all old

and also

to whoever said - i think it was biggest geek - to listen to lapsed from wrestlemania 1. nah. just jump in on any show you are interested in hearing about. that's what i did. yeah you'll miss jokes but there is also pleasure in having them slowly build up from there. it's like you walked in on a funny conversation and are slowly picking up on all the little bits and pieces.

I still can't get over Otunga leaving us hanging on the Rikishi story.

"And on set, I ran into their father Rikishi, who told me what that's all about."

Lmao.

gun_haver

as opposed to vince mcmahon impressions in 2016

like remember when that conceptwas new on opie & anthony? like 16 years ago?

what bar boys? wow chyna is shit. i love benoit.

that's any episode of osw. they're dolts.

and the lapsed vince DOES get tired yes, but there's so much more to it. you probably don't even know cos you listened to the forceable entry youtube clip or something. there's lapsed stone cold, lapsed jr, lapsed hogan, lapsed nash, lapsed foley, it goes on and on.

ReiGun

I still can't get over Otunga leaving us hanging on the Rikishi story.

"And on set, I ran into their father Rikishi, who told me what that's all about."

Lmao.

That should be his new gimmick. Name dropping wrestlers he's had conversations with but then never following up on it.

"The Hype Bros are in a bad way here. I talked to WWE Hall of Famer Arn Anderson about tag team strategy at Subway the other day....Wow! What a dropkick by Ryder!"

is going in raw a weekly new tv kind of show? cos the one thing i miss about just listening to lapsed fan is you can't follow along too much, cos it';s all old

Yeah they do both SD and Raw, and they do standard top 10 lists like best returns, heel turns etc.
That should be his new gimmick. Name dropping wrestlers he's had conversations with but then never following up on it.

"The Hype Bros are in a bad way here. I talked to WWE Hall of Famer Arn Anderson about tag team strategy at Subway the other day....Wow! What a dropkick by Ryder!"
After referencing it on Twitter, I seriously hope he does it again. I couldn't stop laughing the third time he brought it up without following up.
I listen to it too. I do like how positive they are, even if it sometimes results in feeling like they like everything.
True, it does help counter my annoying cynicism. And Pretending Mojo Rawley doesn't exist is my favorite friendo meme.

Give Alexa Bliss the strap already. Girl only gets better each week.

Its a shame Becky couldn't spend more time in NXT and cycled through another few gimmicks. She was half finished when she was called up and never really overcame that. Another 6 months in NXT could have done her wonders.

A solo run against Bayley back when could have defined her character a bit.

ReiGun

Yeah they do both SD and Raw, and they do standard top 10 lists like best returns, heel turns etc.
After referencing it on Twitter, I seriously hope he does it again. I couldn't stop laughing the third time he brought it up without following up.
True, it does help counter my annoying cynicism. And Pretending Mojo Rawley doesn't exist is my favorite friendo meme.
I love the Mojo Rawley meme. I also love some of the weird ideas they come up with for wrestlers. Like Jack Swagger reviving the Lex Express.

Give Alexa Bliss the strap already. Girl only gets better each week.

Its a shame Becky couldn't spend more time in NXT and cycled through another few gimmicks. She was half finished when she was called up and never really overcame that. Another 6 months in NXT could have done her wonders.

A solo run against Bayley back when could have defined her character a bit.
"Half finished" is a good way to describe Becky. She has so many cool things about her that don't quite come together into a cohesive character.

She acts like an underdog but the nickname "Lass Kicker" implies she should be beating people up. She's supposed to be all firey, but she acts like a goofy kid. And I still don't know what's up with the steampunk shit.

gun_haver

what bar battle off:

OSW: a melted, disgusting mars bar with pieces of glass in it, and a lion bar smashed into it made out of human dung

Lapsed Fan: a glistening snickers

I lurk a lot but I just wanted to thank this thread for introducing me to The Lapsed Fan, favorite podcast going right now.

It's always fun seeing people discover the podcast through the Meltzer clips. I started with John Du Pont. Instantly sold

The Meltz said:
The audience makeup was 61.2 percent male in 18-49 and 70.8 percent male in 12-17. About the only notable thing about the ratings is that whatever they were pushing for later in the show was a positive toward males and a negative toward women. In the 18-49 women’s demo, the audience dropped 16 percent between hour one and hour three, while in 18-49 men, the audience increased 8.3 percent. In the 12-17 demo, women dropped 20 percent from hour one to three while men increased 16 percent over that same time period. So that’s likely the lure, or lack thereof, of the cage and/or cruiserweights.
Roman is not a draw for the ladies.

STARDOM's 5* GP Finals starting now over at; http://psp-tv.com/r/pod

(1) – Kaori Yoneyama vs. Kris Wolf
(2) – Kairi Hojo vs. Hiromi Mimura
(3) – Mayu Iwatani, Momo Watanabe & Jungle Kyona vs. Kyoko Kimura, Kagetsu & TBA
(4) – SWA World Championship - Toni Storm (c) vs. Blue Nikita
(5) – World of Stardom Championship - Io Shirai (c) vs. Kay Lee Ray
(6) – 5* Grand Prix Final - Yoko Bito vs. Tessa Blanchard

Top Bottom