• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shootmember 2 Wrasslin |OT| :Shoot from the Hip When in Heated Verbal Exchanges

oh here's the redebut...

tumblr_oikao0myCl1u1ljrzo2_500.gif

fire her, hire shayna

daemissary

Reddit and this thread both pitch collective shitfits when Steph berries their faves. She has real heat. Real heat.

Kayfabe 2.0 is real AND effective.

This kayfabe 2.0 narrative is bunk. Raw ratings are in an epic plummet and WWE is having to cancel good programming like Talking Smack because they have to make budget cuts.

All because executives have convinced themselves that X-PAC heat is real heat.

klonere

Banned
3 great Dragon Gate shows in a row?

They got it back boys. Maximum are such an interesting stable.

Can't wait to watch the Mochi/Big R match, missed it live and there's no good copies around.

There's actually really good story to be told with Sonya if they have Shayna show up and squash her with a better version of her own gimmick. Her doubting herself, reinventing herself, etc.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
This kayfabe 2.0 narrative is bunk. Raw ratings are in an epic plummet and WWE is having to cancel good programming like Talking Smack because they have to make budget cuts.

All because executives have convinced themselves that X-PAC heat is real heat.

Not following what you mean - kayfabe 2.0 is real but it has nothing to do with ratings drops, canceling shows that aren't adding a lot of value for the cost. Unrelated.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My favorite Zach picture is the Arquette subtitles.

daemissary

Not following what you mean - kayfabe 2.0 is real but it has nothing to do with ratings drops, canceling shows that aren't adding a lot of value for the cost. Unrelated.

People don't want to see Steph get destroyed by Rousey. They don't want to see Steph at all. Therefore they turn off the channel.

It's really not that hard to follow.

SilentMike03

Neo Member
I don't mind Stephanie having a match, but I wish her comeuppance was coming from someone already on the roster who could use the rub of beating Stephanie in a match instead of Ronda just coming in to give her an armbar just for some media coverage.

I'd like something like a feud between Stephanie and a good babyface who could benefit from beating the woman always treating everyone as beneath her and not just Ronda walking in for a couple matches.

I think this post nails it. Yes people got mad at Steph for the perceived burying of people on the roster. You can make the argument that Steph has heat with smarks (which I would disagree with), but tell me this - who benefits if Ronda beats Steph? Fucking nobody, that's who.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
People don't want to see Steph get destroyed by Rousey. They don't want to see Steph at all. Therefore they turn off the channel.

It's really not that hard to follow.

But she hasn't been around, so...?

You think TS was cancelled for budgetary reasons?

Sorry, TS was canceled for not serving the company's best interests. And it wasn't. Not even close was it good for WWE to have. As a fan who likes to peek behind the curtain, it was great. As a fan who wants more development from their characters, it was wonderful. But it ran counter to what the company wants.

I'm glad they let Ohno wear the shirts untucked now. It's a better look that the body tight singlet they made him wear before. Should still just be in tights IMO, but whatever.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think this post nails it. Yes people got mad at Steph for the perceived burying of people on the roster. You can make the argument that Steph has heat with smarks (which I would disagree with), but tell me this - who benefits if Ronda beats Steph? Fucking nobody, that's who.

Baszler and Rousey benefit. One's a new rising star and the other is brought in for star power to help the former.

klonere

Banned
The great thing about wrestling is that with the right talent and right presentation, any mode of storytelling can work, be it comedic, sports like, Memphis style, Russo-esque or even this "kayfabe 2.0" stuff Sunny is talking about.

But uh, it's the WWE trying it so LOL.

EDIT: and that Cena/Reigns segment was kayfabe 2.0 as fuck and it was lame lame lame lame lame lame awful shit

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The great thing about wrestling is that with the right talent and right presentation, any mode of storytelling can work, be it comedic, sports like, Memphis style, Russo-esque or even this "kayfabe 2.0" stuff Sunny is talking about.

But uh, it's the WWE trying it so LOL.

It still works. People like to pretend they're not a part of the giant WWE machine, but they usually are. Even if you're viewing it from the outside, it's a contribution.

And yeah, agree completely. Works is works.

Baszler and Rousey benefit. One's a new rising star and the other is brought in for star power to help the former.

If it's Shayna that beats Steph and goes on to be a full-time monster heel, that's fine. Although beating Steph would make her a babyface.

If it's Rousey that beats Steph and then retreats to the Brock schedule and only ever squashes people, that's bad.

Syder

Sorry, TS was canceled for not serving the company's best interests. And it wasn't. Not even close was it good for WWE to have. As a fan who likes to peek behind the curtain, it was great. As a fan who wants more development from their characters, it was wonderful. But it ran counter to what the company wants.
I know, daemissary said it was down to budget though, which it wasn't.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If it's Shayna that beats Steph and goes on to be a full-time monster heel, that's fine. Although beating Steph would make her a babyface.

If it's Rousey that beats Steph and then retreats to the Brock schedule and only ever squashes people, that's bad.

Anything that Shayna can piggyback off of is good. People can use as much help as they can get.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I just don't think Shayna gains much from being "the friend/partner of the person who beat Steph". In that way she'll come off as more of a lackey than her own person.

Maybe not, but I really don't think she has the charisma that she'd need on her own. So it can't hurt, in my eyes. And hey, WWE wants to sell tickets, so that benefits all WWE from using Ronda.

daemissary

But she hasn't been around, so...?

A) She hasn't been around since Mania. It hasn't been all that long since she was on TV weekly.

B) I'm talking about your kayfabe 2.0 in more general terms. Same thing applies to all of the other Vince pet projects that are obviously terrible and have been on tv during that time.

C) How did Talking Smack run counter to what the company wants? It doesn't want character development to get their guys more over? Do I need to list all of the people who immensely benefitted from Talking Smack?

somedevil

Foley is more prosthetic than man at this point.

Makes sense for how he worked. Hip from all those elbows off the mat and onto the concrete. Knees from doing that stupid bump on his knees hitting the metal stairs.

The only part left his brain from all those chair shots to the head and you can't replace that.

thinking tomorrow's smackdown looks to be fucking awesome but then remembering ziggler will have another time wasting ten minute segment

giphy.gif

If they want someone to get a major face pop, they should have someone come out as soon as Ziggles starts whining and just knock him out.
And then we never see Ziggler again.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
A) She hasn't been around since Mania. It hasn't been all that long since she was on TV weekly.

B) I'm talking about your kayfabe 2.0 in more general terms. Same thing applies to all of the other Vince pet projects that are obviously terrible and have been on tv during that time.

C) How did Talking Smack run counter to what the company wants? It doesn't want character development to get their guys more over? Do I need to list all of the people who immensely benefitted from Talking Smack?

Strowman is a Vince project, easily - I ain't complainin!

Regarding TS, it let certain wrasslers poke holes in other wrasslers that needed help concealing these weaknesses. Now, I'm the kind of guy who feels that if you're weak, or your promo game is shit, or if you've been booked illogically - capitalize on it if you're someone else, blow it up. And they did, on TS, quite often. Especially Bryan. In doing so, TS turned into a smark's favorite show, where you could see people "shoot" on the company and their peers, and see Daniel Bryan "clearly not want to be there" - it didn't serve the best interests of WWE as a whole, and I totally see that.

Top Bottom