• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shootmember 2 Wrasslin |OT| :Shoot from the Hip When in Heated Verbal Exchanges

>Hogan doesn't come out to Voodoo Chile
incredulous.gif

Me on the right

klonere

Banned
I don't think there's been a huge change in the booking ethos, tbh - it was always about chasing the big moments to a degree, but the Havoc storyline that dominated the promotion was engaging enough to string it all together. British Strong Style didn't have that. They didn't have the strong reasoning for their turns that Jimmy did, they didn't provoke the same kind of heat and, ultimately, their run in PROGRESS has all been a bit of a blur. Comparatively, I remember every part of the journey Havoc took. It was compelling storytelling.

Also, I'd say PROGRESS are just growing at such an exponential rate that it's getting harder to keep everything flowing together, what with shows in three locations in the UK (soon to be four) and now holding shows in the US as well. The turnaround for the on-demand could really use improving with them running so many shows, and while I think Jim, Glen & John are proud of the fact that it's all mostly still done by them, perhaps it's time to expand.

I'll admit this is probably the year I've enjoyed PROGRESS the least since the promotion began, but I'm far from ready to write them off and want to see where they go free of the British Strong Style bullshit.

I think BSS started strong, with clear reasoning. Three lads wanting to show everyone that Midlands wrestling was the real Strong Style, not this London crap.

Then the WWE happened and it all turned into that blur that you talk about. I'm sure they are running into some organizational challenges with the expansion they are undergoing. They've had a stellar in ring year but everything around it just seems lacking focus or direction.

It's stupidly competitive right now for wrestling content and I just don't see myself investing time in sitting down and watching a Chapter instead of a myriad of other content I could be. Which is sad, seeing as how important PROGRESS is to my fandom in general.

I don't think there's been a huge change in the booking ethos, tbh - it was always about chasing the big moments to a degree, but the Havoc storyline that dominated the promotion was engaging enough to string it all together. British Strong Style didn't have that. They didn't have the strong reasoning for their turns that Jimmy did, they didn't provoke the same kind of heat and, ultimately, their run in PROGRESS has all been a bit of a blur. Comparatively, I remember every part of the journey Havoc took. It was compelling storytelling.

Also, I'd say PROGRESS are just growing at such an exponential rate that it's getting harder to keep everything flowing together, what with shows in three locations in the UK (soon to be four) and now holding shows in the US as well. The turnaround for the on-demand could really use improving with them running so many shows, and while I think Jim, Glen & John are proud of the fact that it's all mostly still done by them, perhaps it's time to expand.

I'll admit this is probably the year I've enjoyed PROGRESS the least since the promotion began, but I'm far from ready to write them off and want to see where they go free of the British Strong Style bullshit.

I'm not ready to write them off, I'm just finding this year a little harder to watch every chapter match in match out.

I agree the growth is likely causing a problem and in no ways not happy for them. I think they did a really great job with everything. There's just some small bit of magic that doesn't feel like it's there anymore. I just think the builds of guys isn't there as much anymore. I feel like all the focus is on BSS and the guys not feuding with them are kind of just there to fill in time.

I like Cross, but even she feels not close to the level of athleticism as Asuka and some of the people coming in from MYC. Moon and Riot are probably the closest, but even Riot is kind of messy and is really just a female Sami Zayn

Cross' skill lies in her character work and her complete buy in into it. That she is a very solid wrestler is a wonderful bonus.

Carmageddon 1 & 2 are fucking amazing, I still play them to this day - probably never gonna uninstall them haha. The new one wasn't bad either, they just got the mix a bit off - too many missions and not enough Classic Carma!

First one is dope

I bought it when it first came out but waited until they fixed a few bugs and then just waited to long lol. I started up about a week ago and have just been grinding along.

>Hogan doesn't come out to Voodoo Chile
incredulous.gif

Me on the right

Voodoo Chile?

C'mon brother.

Faction warfare greatness? I hope that was sarcasm :p

Who can forget the legendary run of the Vulture Squad? TRANSFORM!! Or Hangmen 3, what an iconic group! And The Resilience? Was that their name, I think? Something like that.

Incidentally, today's the 10 year anniversary of The Age of the Fall, so I wrote a bit about their debut;

www.theindycorner.com/columns/age-of-the-fall-10-years-on/

Nice. Will read.

♥️ Lacey

I'd definitely agree that this is the least good story year for PROGRESS. But I've broadly enjoyed the British Strong Style stuff. Either way, it seems like they're mostly done?

Zach

Voodoo Chile?

C'mon brother.

Cut him some slack. He's young and doesn't listen to Electric Ladyland around the clock like you.

(Probably because he knows Axis: Bold as Love is superior!)

P.S. You're the worst.

P.P.S. Because you didn't deliver on WGW.

Least they usually gave warnings. This is a different breed of terroriam.

Terroriam

Terror I am

OH SHIT
250px-Terror_Inc_01_cover.jpg

Ryback%2BKanto.jpg

Who can forget the legendary run of the Vulture Squad? TRANSFORM!! Or Hangmen 3, what an iconic group! And The Resilience? Was that their name, I think? Something like that.

Incidentally, today's the 10 year anniversary of The Age of the Fall, so I wrote a bit about their debut;

God, Jigsaw looked so fucking goofy without the mask. Sometimes, Quackenbush is right.

And for completion about the GenNext break-up FACTION WARZ~! era of ROH:
Austin Aries, Matt Cross, Erick Stevens - The Resilience
Roderick Strong, Davey Richards, Rocky Romero - The No Remorse Corps
Jack Evans, Jigsaw, Ruckus, Mercedes Martinez, Julius Smokes - The Vulture Squad

And there was The Hangmen Three of BJ Whitmer, Adam Pearce, and Brent Albright with Shane Hagadorn.

I wrote that from memory. JEEZUS.

klonere

Banned

It was sarcasm! I know that era is not looked upon fondly.

Cool that you got a shoutout from Jacobs himself for that article.

Recall

Recall

The original Driven PPV ROH had one of the best 6 man tags the company ever did with no wrestlers from Japan in it.

It was incredible made even better with Austin Aries' return to the company.

No one ever talks about it, yet the promotion never did a 6 man tag better than it afterwards.

If WWE started running unique venues again Yukes would go into meltdown because they'd have to make new arenas
Bullshit they would, I'm still triggered when I played in the att stadium in the latest game to have it as big as a random arena in sunrise Florida. Even their old tribute to the troops stages were the same.

Cut him some slack. He's young and doesn't listen to Electric Ladyland around the clock like you.

(Probably because he knows Axis: Bold as Love is superior!)

P.S. You're the worst.

P.P.S. Because you didn't deliver on WGW.

it is a lot of work, contracts take time to sign

I was reading your post today about this. I couldn't tell if you were into it all or not.

Glenn Jacobs is no longer doing the Diesel gimmick in USWA and has been working as a gimmick named Doomsday, but wearing the old Lord Humongous mask.

On Raw, they finally had Paul Bearer reveal Undertaker's big secret. Bearer accused Undertaker of burning down his parents' home and killing his parents and his younger brother "Cain" and called Undertaker a murderer. Undertaker claimed Cain burned down the home by accident and said he blamed himself for letting it happen. So now they have to introduce a character that is Undertaker's brother. Dave thinks there could have been a lot of storyline potential if they revealed Mankind was his brother, but the recent Mick Foley interviews revealing his childhood, they kinda killed that possibility. Most people don't remember but when Undertaker first debuted in the WWF, his name was Cain The Undertaker, but they dropped the Cain part after a few matches.

Sephzilla

Bullshit they would, I'm still triggered when I played in the att stadium in the latest game to have it as big as a random arena in sunrise Florida. Even their old tribute to the troops stages were the same.

Yeah I remember the WrestleMania 30 arena a few years back looking hilariously bad with that stupidly huge WM30 stage jammed into a 15,000 person arena

Top Bottom