• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shootmember 2 Wrasslin |OT| :Shoot from the Hip When in Heated Verbal Exchanges

Zach

Just looking at the .gif I can hear him yelling "NO NO NO NOOOOOOO!!!!"
He actually says, in this very moment, "No! Damn it!"

: )

I have never watched a single match with Heenan on commentary.

That Rumble is the one I should watch, right?
What?!

The '92 Rumble is fun, but it's kind of a unique, desperate Heenan. He's not always wall-to-wall desperate like he is during this particular Rumble.

You can tell they think the world of Shawn already; he's kicking out of fucking everything Marty Jannetty throws at him.

Speaking of, Jannetty has some really unfortunate attire. Looks like floss on sweat pants.

Just finished Chapter 55. A few thoughts.

- The ladder match was pretty good, but given the talent involved I think it could have been better. Felt like they were holding back a bit. It was relatively safe by 2017 ladder match standards. But I'm okay with that because the TK injury is sad enough as it is. The match was still very good and the right team won. CCK is one of the best teams on the planet right now. Anyone not watching them is missing out.

- I'm not the biggest fan of Dahlia Black, but I was kind of surprised to see her lose. She just had her big return and had all this babyface momentum. If Toni is leaving any time soon (which I think she is), this would have been the best moment to take the title off of her. Seems like they might be setting that up for Jinny though, which I'm ultimately fine with because I like Jinny more anyways.

- I am very rarely a fan of deathmatches. I think that most of the time they are lazy and easy heat. This one wasn't. It had a good story going in and that story played out well during the match. The idea of Haskins wanting to beat Havoc at his own game was nice, and it made sense that Havoc was able to win because of that. He's tested his limits, while Haskins hasn't. They did some pretty crazy stuff, but nothing that made me feel like they were being blatantly irresponsible. It's a fine line but they walked it. Overall I liked it a lot.

- I was really surprised to see Scurll. Another "wrestling in 2017" moment: An ROH guy/NJPW junior vs. a NJPW guy in a promotion co-opted by WWE. That of course leads me to the ending and aftermath. It seems like ROH/NJPW is drawing a line in the sand for the most part when it comes to talent they use working for a promotion that is allied with WWE. War Machine did a bit of a farewell last time they were here, and now Scurll. Of course, it could just be a coincidence, but I doubt it. If/when WWE puts Progress on the Network, I doubt NJPW or ROH wants their talent on there.

- The Atlas title match was insanity and I loved every second of it. Thatcher is pretty underrated, but I mostly blame Gabe's subpar and unexciting booking on that. But let's be real, this match was about WALTER and Riddle. And they delivered yet again. I am constantly impressed at how good Riddle is relative to his experience level. WALTER has the best chops in the business. The addition of Wolfgang to this scene was a great surprise. I think he'll fit in excellently.

- The 8-man was a spotfest. It was fine. The story at the end of the match and afterwards was awesome though. The turn of Dennis was a real surprise and the tease of Webster was done perfectly to lead into it.

- The main event was probably my favorite overbooked match in quite a while. It was a mess, but it had to be. The story necessitated it. BSS was not going to go down without exhausting every last trick they could possibly conjure up. They tried so many of the things they've done before to lead them to success, but none of them worked. Not on this night. Travis Banks is just too damn tough. The rope breaking added to the match to me. The whole thing was chaos, and it was all designed to work against Banks, but he overcame it all to once and for all topple the reign of BSS.

- More on Banks. Dude is probably my non-NJPW wrestler of the year right now, and only behind Okada and Omega including NJPW. He's on an absolutely incredible run right now and shows no signs of slowing down. In the past four months alone he's had great to excellent matches with ZSJ, Bate, Dunne, Riddle, Keith Lee, and Jack Gallagher. And that's not even including his BOLA stuff or the stuff he did in WCPW. I can't wait to see him against Andrews. He's the ace here.

- BSS are done here. I was thinking it going into the event. They are too big and important of characters to exist on these shows outside of the title scenes. They cause too much chaos. The story really can't support them coming back unless a major change in character or even a turn is involved, which I don't think would fit right now. And ultimately it's time for them to go. They've reigned for long enough.

- Dunne's tweet after the show essentially confirms the above point. That combined with the way he acted post-match in giving respect is as sure a sign as any that he's probably NXT full-time bound.

- Overall it was an excellent show. It needed to be the best Progress show of the year, and I think it was. It was a culmination of the biggest storyline they've probably ever had. Even if BSS are out, I think the future is bright for Progress. They've got a ton of talent to use and I think Banks as the ace champion will guarantee great matches as long as it lasts. I am very much looking forward to see what they build to try and sellout Wembley next year. They're going to need something special.

Sorry for the rambling guys, but yeah you guys should watch the show. :p

I fucking hate the Bushwackers. And that bitch, Jameson.

I feel like I've been experiencing this match for a week, geez louize

Wrap it up, brochachos.

A lot of people predicted Miz to have an AWESOME year. Who here thinks KO does better when beef'n with older superstars (Jerhico, Shane and Goldberg to an extent), because his matches with AJ are forgetable, sorry 'bout it.

A lot of people predicted Miz to have an AWESOME year. Who here thinks KO does better when beef'n with older superstars (Jerhico, Shane and Goldberg to an extent), because his matches with AJ are forgetable, sorry 'bout it.
Those matches with Rollins and Roman were such bores.

lex.gif

"FEAST YOUR EYES ON THAT MAN! LOOK AT THE MUSCLE MASS! LOOK AT THE THIGHS!"

Zach

It auto-played the '93 Rumble. Maybe I'll skim this b tom. I love how Heenan said "Narcissus." >_>

It's the Steiners! Yeah!

HeySeuss

Sad to hear about my favorite WWF personality. There were so many good quotes of his over the years. Probably my earliest memory that stuck with me was at WrestleMania 3 when he said he was waiting on king Kong Bundy to put the big cabosh on one of the midget wrestlers.

Another time I remember him saying if Rey Mysterio lost all of his clothes in a hours fire he'd be out 8 bucks.

Fucking legend. Rip

I don't really feel sad about Heenan passing away, I think I made peace with it a long time ago from all the health problems and accidents he's had over the last 15 years.

Fuck tobacco.

Backlund in '93 might be worst of the marathon runs in rumble history. He's basically done nothing for the last 40 minutes.

"By time Undertaker gets to the ring, it'll be time for WrestleMania!" Oh, you have no idea Bobby.

At the Stardom event right now, old guy next to me doesn't move or say a thing during the first three matches. During the Kris Wolf match, he meekishly lets out a "Krisu fighto!"

Also, people here like Toni Storm a lot.

Because he's on the top-rope, obviously - it's a counter: dude charges in, gets a boot to the face and then Kagetora cartwheels so he's in a position to hit a DDT. The only silly thing about it is the guy taking it has to so obviously position himself so it doesn't go terribly wrong.

Also, it's Dragon Gate. Cool moves > logic.

klonere

Banned
why in the world would you need to do a cartwheel before a ddt

because it looks extremely cool

hello?

Just finished Chapter 55. A few thoughts.

- The ladder match was pretty good, but given the talent involved I think it could have been better. Felt like they were holding back a bit. It was relatively safe by 2017 ladder match standards. But I'm okay with that because the TK injury is sad enough as it is. The match was still very good and the right team won. CCK is one of the best teams on the planet right now. Anyone not watching them is missing out.

- I'm not the biggest fan of Dahlia Black, but I was kind of surprised to see her lose. She just had her big return and had all this babyface momentum. If Toni is leaving any time soon (which I think she is), this would have been the best moment to take the title off of her. Seems like they might be setting that up for Jinny though, which I'm ultimately fine with because I like Jinny more anyways.

- I am very rarely a fan of deathmatches. I think that most of the time they are lazy and easy heat. This one wasn't. It had a good story going in and that story played out well during the match. The idea of Haskins wanting to beat Havoc at his own game was nice, and it made sense that Havoc was able to win because of that. He's tested his limits, while Haskins hasn't. They did some pretty crazy stuff, but nothing that made me feel like they were being blatantly irresponsible. It's a fine line but they walked it. Overall I liked it a lot.

- I was really surprised to see Scurll. Another "wrestling in 2017" moment: An ROH guy/NJPW junior vs. a NJPW guy in a promotion co-opted by WWE. That of course leads me to the ending and aftermath. It seems like ROH/NJPW is drawing a line in the sand for the most part when it comes to talent they use working for a promotion that is allied with WWE. War Machine did a bit of a farewell last time they were here, and now Scurll. Of course, it could just be a coincidence, but I doubt it. If/when WWE puts Progress on the Network, I doubt NJPW or ROH wants their talent on there.

- The Atlas title match was insanity and I loved every second of it. Thatcher is pretty underrated, but I mostly blame Gabe's subpar and unexciting booking on that. But let's be real, this match was about WALTER and Riddle. And they delivered yet again. I am constantly impressed at how good Riddle is relative to his experience level. WALTER has the best chops in the business. The addition of Wolfgang to this scene was a great surprise. I think he'll fit in excellently.

- The 8-man was a spotfest. It was fine. The story at the end of the match and afterwards was awesome though. The turn of Dennis was a real surprise and the tease of Webster was done perfectly to lead into it.

- The main event was probably my favorite overbooked match in quite a while. It was a mess, but it had to be. The story necessitated it. BSS was not going to go down without exhausting every last trick they could possibly conjure up. They tried so many of the things they've done before to lead them to success, but none of them worked. Not on this night. Travis Banks is just too damn tough. The rope breaking added to the match to me. The whole thing was chaos, and it was all designed to work against Banks, but he overcame it all to once and for all topple the reign of BSS.

- More on Banks. Dude is probably my non-NJPW wrestler of the year right now, and only behind Okada and Omega including NJPW. He's on an absolutely incredible run right now and shows no signs of slowing down. In the past four months alone he's had great to excellent matches with ZSJ, Bate, Dunne, Riddle, Keith Lee, and Jack Gallagher. And that's not even including his BOLA stuff or the stuff he did in WCPW. I can't wait to see him against Andrews. He's the ace here.

- BSS are done here. I was thinking it going into the event. They are too big and important of characters to exist on these shows outside of the title scenes. They cause too much chaos. The story really can't support them coming back unless a major change in character or even a turn is involved, which I don't think would fit right now. And ultimately it's time for them to go. They've reigned for long enough.

- Dunne's tweet after the show essentially confirms the above point. That combined with the way he acted post-match in giving respect is as sure a sign as any that he's probably NXT full-time bound.

- Overall it was an excellent show. It needed to be the best Progress show of the year, and I think it was. It was a culmination of the biggest storyline they've probably ever had. Even if BSS are out, I think the future is bright for Progress. They've got a ton of talent to use and I think Banks as the ace champion will guarantee great matches as long as it lasts. I am very much looking forward to see what they build to try and sellout Wembley next year. They're going to need something special.

Sorry for the rambling guys, but yeah you guys should watch the show. :p

A more positive review than I've seen in other places.

I've seen the main event and was kinda underwhelmed. They definitely tried to replicate the Ospreay/Havoc feeling with the big win but I think they missed by a pretty large margin. Or they didn't, who knows.

Banks will turn heel in ~3 months.

klonere

Banned
I love how much of an Onita mark Shingo is, his gear for this match is really something.

Wish I could be watching live T__T

klonere

Banned
NOOOOOOO

NOT THE JIMMYZ

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I mean it was definitely time to split them up but it's still going to be very sad not to have them around

Top Bottom