• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shootmember 2 Wrasslin |OT| :Shoot from the Hip When in Heated Verbal Exchanges

Foggy

I know. I am just not sure how wise it is to kind of deflect from the reality of what seems to go on. It is sad and sick, but I guess it is what it is.

Same with people who take drugs. Few really think about the crimes like slavery behind it all, where the sources for MDMA are being drawn from and the madness that ends up inflicted on those communities etc etc.

I agree, it's definitely prudent to recognize personal responsibility in most things you consume. That said, until there's something more provocative out there other than a promotion paying to rent a building owned by the yakuza or talent having ancillary ties, then I'm not going to beat myself up over it.

Not that it's the yakuza, but I remember reading that during a period in the 90s in HK that 80% of the population had ties in some way shape or form to the triads.

klonere

Banned
Apologies for kicking off a round of hand wringing over being a wrestling fan. I just found it amazing that literally every major promotion in the US has the same problematic vein running through them all.

In better news, Dragon Gate is fucking back baby. 4 bangers in a row, can't wait to watch Dangerous Gate! I'm seriously considering grabbing the VOD, does niconico keep it up for long?

Zach

On NPR this morn, they were talking about The Ethics of Tattoos and artists typically won't tattoo on young people's faces and call it the "job stopper."

So I guess I'm getting a face tattoo, brother.

I agree, it's definitely prudent to recognize personal responsibility in most things you consume. That said, until there's something more provocative out there other than a promotion paying to rent a building owned by the yakuza or talent having ancillary ties, then I'm not going to beat myself up over it.

Not that it's the yakuza, but I remember reading that during a period in the 90s in HK that 80% of the population had ties in some way shape or form to the triads.

Of course.

Here in Aus, at least in somewhat rural areas, it is mainly outlaw motorcycle clubs that are prolific. Sex work is legal and (sorta) regulated here but it is still largely run by motorcycle clubs. Its kind of weird and somewhat similar to yakuza in some ways, in that, despite everyone knowing what is going on, they run a lot of charities, help out the local neighborhood and things like that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
On NPR this morn, they were talking about The Ethics of Tattoos and artists typically won't tattoo on young people's faces and call it the "job stopper."

So I guess I'm getting a face tattoo, brother.

My brother did one of mine. He'll hook you up. What are you looking for for your face?

Recall

There are only 12 WWE PPVs:

Royal Rumble
No Way Out
Wrestlemania
Backlash
Judgement Day
King of the Ring
Fully Loaded
Summerslam
Unforgiven
No Mercy
Suvivor Series
Armageddon

Now we get TLC, the PPV with TLC matches, Extreme Rules the PPV with weapon matches, Money in the Bank the PPV with ladder matches, Hell in a Cell the PPV with Hell in a Cell matches, Elimination Chamber the PPV with Elimination Chamber matches, Starcade the newest PPV with cage matches.

There are only 12 WWE PPVs:

Royal Rumble
No Way Out
Wrestlemania
Backlash
Judgement Day
King of the Ring
Fully Loaded
Summerslam
Unforgiven
No Mercy
Suvivor Series
Armageddon

Now we get TLC, the PPV with TLC matches, Extreme Rules the PPV with weapon matches, Money in the Bank the PPV with ladder matches, Hell in a Cell the PPV with Hell in a Cell matches, Elimination Chamber the PPV with Elimination Chamber matches, Starcade the newest PPV with cage matches.

http://www.wwe.com/wwe-starrcade Starrcade is only a house show

As I said this isn't surprising.

We're told WWE officials are getting close to putting their hand in the nostalgia basket once again to use old labeling for a few live events/specials in the very near future.

Live events = house shows

Trying to sell tickets to avoid more HouseShowCrowd.jpgs and clearly WWE's name alone isn't enough anymore

This is why we should only watch backyarders. It's the purest form of sports entertainment.

giphy.gif

Look at these fuckers shoot.

Zach

I feel for the sucker who buys a ticket because an event has a throwback name. I mean, I'm sure they won't even change the set.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Among the list of "things Wrasslegaf foolishly dropped in the past year"

I hope you all are ready for #indieposterthursday's return.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yknow, listening to Meltzer talk about Heenan - one thing I didn't really factor in was that Bobby could carry a whole territory or promotion if he had to. That really goes beyond what Gary Hart was capable of doing (but he is EXCELLENT) - but that's more evidence that Bobby was incredible. Not that anyone doubted it, but yknow, that's just one aspect that I overlooked and others might as well. Lots of comparisons to CM Punk/Heyman's one year run, but Heenan and Bockwinkel did theirs for an entire decade.

Heenan is one of the best.

klonere

Banned
Yknow, listening to Meltzer talk about Heenan - one thing I didn't really factor in was that Bobby could carry a whole territory or promotion if he had to. That really goes beyond what Gary Hart was capable of doing (but he is EXCELLENT) - but that's more evidence that Bobby was incredible. Not that anyone doubted it, but yknow, that's just one aspect that I overlooked and others might as well. Lots of comparisons to CM Punk/Heyman's one year run, but Heenan and Bockwinkel did theirs for an entire decade.

Heenan is one of the best.

There is a really solid body of evidence that Heenan was arguably as or if not more responsible for the 80s WWF boom than Hogan.

Without Heenan, there is no Hogan. While Hogan faced off against monsters of the day, the constant, most charismatic and committed adversary of his was Heenan, who was in large part responsible for making those monsters appear to be a real threat to Hogan.

I feel for the sucker who buys a ticket because an event has a throwback name

DM and RBH already have their flight booked for the War Games nontelevised house show

Main event is just a regular tag match between Roman Reigns and PartTimeCena vs 2 Scrubs

Zach

DM and RBH already have their flight booked for the War Games nontelevised house show

Main event is just a regular tag match between Roman Reigns and PartTimeCena vs 2 Scrubs

Ha. I was gonna say there probably wouldn't even be a cage match of any kind on the card.

klonere

Banned
Imagine telling someone at the height of the Monday Night Wars that Vince would one day resurrect the Starccade brand to foist up his decaying nostalgia huckster empire.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
There is a really solid body of evidence that Heenan was arguably as or if not more responsible for the 80s WWF boom than Hogan.

Without Heenan, there is no Hogan. While Hogan faced off against monsters of the day, the constant, most charismatic and committed adversary of his was Heenan, who was in large part responsible for making those monsters appear to be a real threat to Hogan.

I wouldn't disagree. Hogan is one of those once in a lifetime talents at the time, but you need a great villain. That big WWF boom was also helped by Heenan getting involved with virtually every heel on the WWF roster. You gotta have compelling villains. Heenan made Andre a bad guy. That's so huge. And this is AFTER Heenan's prime, too.

klonere

Banned
I wouldn't disagree. Hogan is one of those once in a lifetime talents at the time, but you need a great villain. That big WWF boom was also helped by Heenan getting involved with virtually every heel on the WWF roster. You gotta have compelling villains. Heenan made Andre a bad guy. That's so huge. And this is AFTER Heenan's prime, too.

Even watching back now, nobody came came close to being a heel commentator like he did. Because doing that character without his incredible wit, his delivery makes you just seem like an obnoxious, delusional idiot.

It's so hard to watch modern indie promotions who insist on doing heel/face commentary teams and fail to come close to his act, literal decades later.

I wasn't around for his heyday, I wasn't even around for his twilight years but I'm gonna miss him :(

Imagine telling someone at the height of the Monday Night Wars that Vince would one day resurrect the Starccade brand to foist up his decaying nostalgia huckster empire.

And that it wouldn't even be the first time he did this sort of thing

Remember WWECW? ECW Champ Vince

klonere

Banned
And that it wouldn't even be the first time he did this sort of thing

Remember WWECW? ECW Champ Vince

ECW was the original co-opted promotion, even when Paul E was screaming about being real wrestling in 97 or whatever.

I guess they already did The Great American Bash PPVs already though, so this isn't quite as big a deal.

Top Bottom