• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shootmember 2 Wrasslin |OT| :Shoot from the Hip When in Heated Verbal Exchanges

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
There's not a single person in the modern era of WWE that's a good promo. Not even the Miz.

Problem is if you've watched where people do not have scripting issues, where people are not fully aware of how to work the camera, you completely lose any sense of authenticity, and that's incredibly important, to me, for a promo. There's simply not a single person, even ones I love, in modern day WWE that can cut a promo worth a shit.

They cut promos in WWE, and then their editing team works on making it more presentable like a trailer for a match. Their video team is good, but it isn't a good promo.

Monster Hunter got wierd

DKK163kV4AAFVtl

Fox318

*Fox318 voice*

ah ha but you see, they were singing as well

Actually Progress is a good example of a crowd that cares about the matches.

What I'm not a fan of is the ROH smark ass crowd that is chanting things outside of the result.

Something about WCW crowds had fans so fucking desperate for wins like a sports team.

Wrestling crowds today are like going to a play and people clapping when a character kisses. They aren't rooting for the person they are cheering "the story"

klonere

Banned
There's not a single person in the modern era of WWE that's a good promo. Not even the Miz.

Problem is if you've watched where people do not have scripting issues, where people are not fully aware of how to work the camera, you completely lose any sense of authenticity, and that's incredibly important, to me, for a promo. There's simply not a single person, even ones I love, in modern day WWE that can cut a promo worth a shit.

They cut promos in WWE, and then their editing team works on making it more presentable like a trailer for a match. Their video team is good, but it isn't a good promo.

Scrolling up my Twitter feed, you get those autoplay muted videos from WWE. One was a Baron Corbin promo, and then a Jinder one and later still, I think a Miz one? Anyway, I could hear the cadence in my head, in every single one. Like it had been drilled into their head exactly how to talk, how they physically emoted.

This even goes for the Neville promo that was posted earlier, it's the exact few seconds before each new sentence that they take, that's a total killer. You know they are reading from a script, you can feel it being regurgitated right in front of you. With poor performers it's unbearable, unwatchable. With the best, it limits them.

Their over-exaggerated body language actually served to make them appear less human, less genuine and all off the same production line. The same-ness of presentation, the in ring, the booking, is also present in promos.

klonere

Banned
Actually Progress is a good example of a crowd that cares about the matches.

What I'm not a fan of is the ROH smark ass crowd that is chanting things outside of the result.

Something about WCW crowds had fans so fucking desperate for wins like a sports team.

Wrestling crowds today are like going to a play and people clapping when a character kisses. They aren't rooting for the person they are cheering "the story"

I still think if you try and tell a good story, with good performers you can absolutely get people on side to buy into wins and losses. It sporadically happens on the indies - a lot of them still coast on big banner matchups rather than progressive stories.

I mean if you look at the CZW/ROH feud, the Cage of Death match, you literally had Home/Away crowd segregation because the fans were so bought into that storyline - and this is from the infamously smarky ROH crowd.

But yes, modern ROH crowds are just absolute garbage.

Sephzilla

The only people in the modern era that I think were a really solid promo were Cena, CM Punk, The Miz, and late-career Batista

The Jinder promo last night is possibly the worst segment / promo I've seen on WWE TV in forever. This is a WWE Championship feud. Jinder being racist doesn't even make sense. Don't even know how to comprehend something that awful.

klonere

Banned
I still like Miz's Talking Smack promo a lot. I think it's pretty great.

Cena is straight cornball - the zenith of the WWE creative straitjacket. He has the flair to go off script sometimes and say bitch but ultimately his patois is fucking lame and his look is too.

Punk I can't comment on.

Big Dave is a nice guy.

The Jinder promo last night is possibly the worst segment / promo I've seen on WWE TV in forever. This is a WWE Championship feud. Jinder being racist doesn't even make sense. Don't even know how to comprehend something that awful.

The only possible thing they could have been going for is to play Jinder as a hypocrite while also raising the heat between him and Nak by using racism.

Absolutely dumb. I didn't even bother to watch it this morning. Just deleted Smackdown off my box.

Sephzilla

Can't hold up, not even for a second, with anyone from a historical perspective.

I could actually see Miz holding his own against some of the 80s stars promo wise. Miz's promo style seems more in line with someone from that era than, say, someone like Punk who was an Attitude Era mark

This is kinda crazy. Stardom has been battered pretty bad by WWE this year, even if it ended being only Kairi who has completely left so far. If they give this to Storm and she fucks off to WWE too it would be pretty brutal.

Should be a fun show either way!

Gotta feel for Mayu though. Her body must be ruined given she already wanted to retire.

Anth0ny

Miz's talking smack promo is the second best promo of the decade after pipe bomb

Wwe's presentation makes everyone look worse than they actually are. When guys like miz or Joe are still able to deliver decent/good promos despite all that, you know they've got some real fucking talent.

Also I didn't see smackdown but I think it's actually a funny heel move for the heel champion to complain about people being racist towards him, only to be racist towards his challenger. But I'm assuming the actual execution was terrible?

Beefy

Yep, that shit was wack.

Damn, the quality whiplash of last week's solid smackdown show to this weeks steaming turd is certainly something.
Maybe this main event will be okay even if it's yet another "throw all the women together" matches.

They have a real problem with repetition and a lack of advancement right now, this weeks Jinder promo basically was last weeks redux but substantially worse, Shinsuke still hasn't responded properly like I'm witnessing a one sided "feud".
Hype Bros are still...whatever they're going for since like 4 months ago.
And most stupidly of all, Ziggler's trash self is still doing the same shit three weeks straight with no payoff (also coming off "I'll debut my new gimmick...next week! for like two weeks).

This sucks a lot since the main reason SD was enjoyable in its original post draft split form was because it felt like a main roster show where things actually moved forward each week.
Now it's got some long running shonen anime pacing going on, where things are stretched out beyond reason and it somehow manages to even give the feeling of suddenly being filler for a week before getting back to what they were doing.

On the upside: Rusev joyfully leaping up the ramp.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I like how they've basically revealed Asuka will be involved somehow in the No Mercy Womens title match

Foggy

This is kinda crazy. Stardom has been battered pretty bad by WWE this year, even if it ended being only Kairi who has completely left so far. If they give this to Storm and she fucks off to WWE too it would be pretty brutal.

Should be a fun show either way!

Gotta feel for Mayu though. Her body must be ruined given she already wanted to retire.

It makes sense that they would want to piggyback off the MYC exposure and give the shot to Toni. I'm not crazy about her winning the Cinderella tournament and 5* GP in the same year, but it makes sense since she was in a spot that made sense even before the MYC. The interesting caveat is that if Toni wins, it would lend weight to her being one of the foreign wrestlers signed through June 2018 per Stardom's social media guy.

It makes sense that they would want to piggyback off the MYC exposure and give the shot to Toni. I'm not crazy about her winning the Cinderella tournament and 5* GP in the same year, but it makes sense since she was in a spot that made sense even before the MYC. The interesting caveat is that if Toni wins, it would lend weight to her being one of the foreign wrestlers signed through June 2018 per Stardom's social media guy.

I hear you, friend. Just judging by WWE promotional materials it seems pretty clear they have an interest in Toni Storm. I get Stardom going with her to win the GP, but if she wins this then fucks off mid-next year it could be damaging again. I guess we will see.

The whole MYC and who they have and haven't signed is still somewhat perplexing.

Did anything come of those stories about Rossy being present at the MYC finals?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I love how Cesaro still has the energy to leap toward Sheamus using the barricade after fighting for 30 or so minutes
3AQmK.gif

Zach

Get 'em... NeoGAF Vince McMahon?!

Zach

When you bust through the screen door and find out you're in a simulation.

Oh yeah, that was kinda cute. Like, I liked that. But I just wasn't feeling the gameplay. Especially shooting those crummy initial enemies. I dunno. I love you.

somedevil

They realized it was awful because they haven't put up the segment on youtube. The rest of the show is up.

Egg0

Banned
Oh yeah, that was kinda cute. Like, I liked that. But I just wasn't feeling the gameplay. Especially shooting those crummy initial enemies. I dunno. I love you.

Yea I just got the gloo gun and I don't like the shooting either.

Zach would just have one of his rugrats distract me so he could get the rollup. Just like a scoundrel would.

See, I was thinking I would back you on account of being exposed to the brutality of Joshi. I didn't have my carny cap on and thus didn't consider Zach getting his kids involved. Which he would totally do.

Top Bottom