• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shootmember 2 Wrasslin |OT| :Shoot from the Hip When in Heated Verbal Exchanges

Yeah I won't deny the safety net of BC bucks but I don't think that has had a huge effect on his appearance rates(which is what I was thinking in my head, not sure if it ever came across). I do think Sasha can pull whatever that is in Europe and in Japan and assorted indies. How long that can last is only speculation but she's one of the only ones that could cause a paradigm shift, more than anyone else on the main roster.

Nah it has, Cody even literally said as much:

I feel I was excited at the thought that I could do something for the Bullet Club and perhaps provide them a different demographic, but the truth is the Bullet Club has done more for me. I don't know why, that's the power of the Young Bucks, if that makes any sense. Being the Elite is such a great show and it's such a good opportunity to show folks a different side of yourself and perhaps the real side of yourself. Me being able to piggyback off their watershed deal with Hot Topic and being able to be in stores, I honestly don't do it, but I should call them every morning and say thank you very much for making it so I'm making more money on my own schedule than I was with the biggest wrestling company in the world. Being part of the Bullet Club has done more for me than I have done for the Bullet Club.

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news...-rhodes-on-making-more-money-now-than-in-wwe/

We didn't hear Cody talk about his indy money being so good until after he was solidly in The Elite and in Hot Topic.

Foggy

Man God

Non-Canon Member
In Japan, women's wrestling and men's wrestling are treated like two separate sports/entities. Think the NBA and the WNBA. I think it's a strange mentality, but that's how it's done over there.

Except unlike that analogy there was a time where women's wrestling far outshined men's.

I don't think Excel's post was sexist in the slightest. However, I think it's fair to say that sexism is a huge part of why the demand for women's wrestling is where it's currently at. Even in this thread we have hot woman GAF calibre posts and people can't hide how thirsty they are whenever JoJo appears.

Oh I missed this.

Excellent post. Fully agree and as a woman that thirsty shit bugs me.

That doesn't say anything about appearance rates. That's all I'm talking about. And yeah he did talk about making good money that he was happy with. Definitely wasn't WWE money but he was always happy.

Ok then we're talking about completely different things.

When I said Cody money I meant literally what he's making now, aka more than he made in WWE.

BOLA final is
Keith Lee/Jeff Cobb/Ricochet

Except unlike that analogy there was a time where women's wrestling far outshined men's.

Well yeah, duh. It's not a quality assessment. It's in terms of how it's organized and separated.

In the 90's, joshi was god-tier wrestling.

Foggy

tumblr_ncvyuffntE1s1uj0qo1_400.gif

To give anyone who is unaware a sense of how great All Japan Women were, Manami Toyota has SEVENTEEN FIVE STAR MATCHES per Meltzer. The fourth most of any wrestler ever.

And this is her last year.

giphy.gif

More like the mid 80s to the early to mid 9ps , it started to fall during the late 90s.

Yeah, when I say 90's, I meant mid-90's mostly. 92-94 was arguably the peak of popularity and quality.

Basically, both men and women's Japanese wrestling declined because after the boom period died down, promoters and wrestlers tore each other apart and splintered off into a dozen directions and no one could really break through. Then, most of those splinter groups died.

Foggy

It's a shame since those 80s joshi crowds had such a dominant vocal presence from its female audience. Now venues are filled with awkward dudes screaming for their waifu every once in a while.

Speaking of which, American pro wrestling should be held up as a case study in how myopic male-centric marketing can pigeonhole your product. I'm not sure if the stigma can ever be reversed over here.

It's a shame since those 80s joshi crowds had such a dominant vocal presence from its female audience. Now venues are filled with awkward dudes screaming for their waifu every once in a while.

Speaking of which, American pro wrestling should be held up as a case study in how myopic male-centric marketing can pigeonhole your product. I'm not sure if the stigma can ever be reversed over here.

Video games, especially in the early 2000's, are a good case study for that as well.

Agreed.

Attitude Era was a big reason for that too which is kind of ironic in that their biggest success might have closed off expanding to the other 50% of the market.

It's a shame too because good wrestling is transcendent

The female audience has been rising pretty significantly over the past few years though, so maybe there's hope for it yet. But they did massive damage to it.

somedevil

It has improved since the rise of the big 4. Right now the 18-49 audience of Raw is made up of 40% women viewers.

The problem right now is preventing the hardcore fans like those in Brooklyn of not scaring them off in attending events. Aka saying that they are not real fans and sexist comments in crowds.

Foggy

It has improved since the rise of the big 4. Right now the 18-49 audience of Raw is made up of 40% women viewers.

The problem right now is preventing the hardcore fans like those in Brooklyn of not scaring them off in attending events. Aka saying that they are not real fans and sexist comments in crowds.

Yeah for sure, they need to put more resources into curbing that shit.

somedevil

Yeah for sure, they need to put more resources into curbing that shit.

Thats hard in a big crowd and when they are chasing beach balls now. They should try but its a societal problem.

At least in NXT is easier to do like that idiot who was called Mandy a Slut and security and all the wrestlers after that called it out to him to his face.

So I did some digging regarding Sasha. All standard first WWE deals are three years. Follow-up deals can range anywhere from the standard three years for most people to up to five years for a top guy like Cena or Orton. Sasha signed her first WWE deal in August of 2012. So presumably she re-signed for the standard three more in August of 2015. So by that logic, her contract wouldn't expire until August of next year. That's a long way off to be "burning bridges on the way out" as it were. She's either not doing that purposely, or she's trying to get fired.

Foggy

Thats hard in a big crowd and when they are chasing beach balls now. They should try but its a societal problem.

At least in NXT is easier to do like that idiot who was called Mandy a Slut and security and all the wrestlers after that called it out to him to his face.

It's certainly not trivial but it can and should be done. It's a bitter pill to swallow but the bottom line would justify it.

Ricochet
wins BOLA

First two time winner.

Said he's going to win the PWG title before going on to "bigger and better things". lol. Hint much?

Foggy

Ricochet
wins BOLA

First two time winner.

Said he's going to win the PWG title before going on to "bigger and better things". lol. Hint much?

LOL if Ricochet is WWE-bound and they don't have multiple events planned before next year, Ricochet is going to have to job to Chuck Taylor. What a time to be alive.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
toyota was the first sign meltzer didnt have taste

chigusa and dump are far better at match drama and far more influential

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
chris charlton‏
@reasonjp
Follow
More
chris charlton Retweeted 橋本宗洋
Takayama is now mobile from shoulders up and can talk. Minoru Suzuki visited him yesterday, Takayama's first words were 'who won the G1?'
wrestling-fan-tears-of-joy-gifs-of-wrestling-fans-being-wrestling-fans.gif

Jamie OD

LOL if Ricochet is WWE-bound and they don't have multiple events planned before next year, Ricochet is going to have to job to Chuck Taylor. What a time to be alive.

You do know that
Ricochet and Chuck have a lot of history together
, right?

klonere

Banned
On BOLA

Rico winning is a nice send-off. He's somehow an underrated performer right now, I don't think people realize just how good he is.

That said I'm strangely not that upset that he's going to WWE. He really has done absolutely everything except a NJPW heavyweight run that would never happen. He should do well to cash it all in for a nice Fed contract and hopefully not a spot on 205 Live.

Also, goddamn that schedule is brutal, he's already heading to Japan the morning after a brutal tournament in a shitty venue.

toyota was the first sign meltzer didnt have taste

chigusa and dump are far better at match drama and far more influential

whynotboth.gif

Chigusa's great, but you can't really compare shiny babyface Manami to Dump of all people. THE monster heel of the 80's who (by necessity) works a completely different style. Toyota's benefited from having more of her top-level work more readily available, and being at the forefront of AJW when it was at it's peak in terms of international recognition, but let's not diminish her record of top tier matches, which IS fantastic.

Also, far more influential? To who? Sure, that's who people like Aja Kong cited when they were getting into joshi, but I'd bet more women's wrestlers today are aware of and were influenced by Toyota's work than they were Dump Matsumoto or Chigusa, that goes for both joshi and worldwide.

Manami's a goddamn legend and I was super lucky to get to see her live this year, there are few as good as her. But then, you think Hokuto's overrated as well, don't you?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
On BOLA

Rico winning is a nice send-off. He's somehow an underrated performer right now, I don't think people realize just how good he is.

That said I'm strangely not that upset that he's going to WWE. He really has done absolutely everything except a NJPW heavyweight run that would never happen. He should do well to cash it all in for a nice Fed contract and hopefully not a spot on 205 Live.

Also, goddamn that schedule is brutal, he's already heading to Japan the morning after a brutal tournament in a shitty venue.

hopefully we get at least 1 year's worth of NXT
Ricochet

seriously why are we spoilering this shit? its like spoilering a football team signing someone or if you want to go the entertainment route, spoilering who is cast as playing Wolverine in the next movie.

Yes, spoiler culture makes me salty.

Top Bottom